Chapter 7 The Party of Snakes
208 8 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

18th of the tenth month of 1838

 

It was the day after my 14th birthday, after a lavish home party where many other nobles and wealthy merchants were invited. By my father of course because if it was up to me, I would rather celebrate with Otto, Alina and some of the servants, not a bunch of pigs vying for power and dominance over other. There was a fundamental difference in our ideologies, but as I cannot reveal my ‘radical’ beliefs, yet I have to play along with father and be the ideal power hungry, showy aristocrat. That meant inviting a bunch of people I have never met before and hosting a party and being the centre of attention for a bunch of brats. I showed a calm and friendly demeanour on the outside but on the inside I was screaming ‘’who the hell are you, leave me alone, why do I have to put up with you, when will this end’’.

 

Most of the people had arrived a few days prior and stayed in the newly built inns and hotels. Seemingly everyone father was on good terms with or wanted to make connections with was invited so I could make connections. So, when the day came I was forced to interact with the men and women of my age plus their parents and I can tell you even after going through two similar parties it did not get any more pleasant. Everyone was asking about the products and how to make them, seemingly thinking that I might reveal such a thing just because I was a child.

 

I knew basically nothing about what that other aristocrats do at my age so I mostly the topic was on my town and business as well as the state of politics in the country.

 

‘’Say your territory has become quite developed rather lately’’ said a viscount’s son. ‘’Aye, I don’t remember the town being as large as it was nor were the buildings completely made of stone’’ replies the son’s father. ‘’I heard that you were using a type of liquid that hardens to stone after being poured’’ another aristocrat chips in. ‘’Humph, those lowly peasants don’t deserve such luxuries as a stone house, they should just be grateful to serve us’’, turning towards me a gruff noble asked ‘’from what I heard you have been actively inviting peasants and surfs from others territory’’. ‘’I haven’t invited any serfs I have just accepted immigrants that are free men’’ I replied. Narrowing his eyes, he said ‘’still quite a few people have disappeared from my territory over the past few years and you say that you don’t have a hand in it, I demand compensation’’. Many of the nobles looked towards my direction with eyes that resembled that of a wolf’s, cunning and predatory. Well looks like their true nature has shown itself, not that it was very hidden in the first place. At times like these the only thing I can use to get through this was my cunningness, silver tongue and my lack of giving a shit. Responding to his provocation I relied ‘’okay then prove it’’. The boisterous noble looked shock before pressing the issue ‘’the population of my territory was around 20,000, now it has become 18,000, how do you explain that’’. ‘’They could’ve been enslaved, died due to your mismanagement or left for anywhere really. What makes you think they came here’’ I asked innocently. A look of rage appeared on the gruff noble’s face as he clenched his fists and stormed away from the table, ‘’I will remember this slight’’ he yelled while leaving. Taking out a note pad and pen, both of which were new products made two months ago I resumed the conversation and used this chance to advertise my new products. So far, the products I have begun mass producing in the past few years are; glassware, paper, fountain pens, notepads, books, ink, distilled alcohol, farming tools, hand pumps, kitchenware as well as porcelain cups and plates. On top of that the paper manufactory has further been expanded to produce triple the original amount. The new and exotic products made in my territory were bringing in great amounts of fame and wealth as merchants arrived in droves to buy and sell my products to the elite aristocracy around the country and other nations. This brought a steady stream of merchants that came in droves, often bringing limestone, iron, coal, copper, tin, zinc, sulphur, wool, cattle and to their disgust and curiosity the sub-layer of communal laterite pits for that sweet, sweet saltpetre.

 

Back to the present

 

‘’The paper was great but the ink and glassware your territory sells is quite high quality for a low cost’’ a faceless noble says. ‘’Indeed, the products are made in such high quantities, even farm tools and furniture made in your territory is quite are precisely made and in vast quantities relatively cheaper compared to other places, it makes me quite curious as to how it’s all done’’ another noble continues. ‘’Yes, it is quite intriguing, would you mind enlightening us on how your territory can make so many’’ one of the ladies asked. ‘’Hire workers that’s how’’ I responded much to the exasperated faces of others. ‘’But surely there’s more to it than that’’ one of the nobles says. Time to put my foot down. ‘’Maybe there is, maybe there isn’t but do keep in mind that accidents happen to those that engage in espionage’’ I deftly threatened. This caused many to go silent and a few of the higher-ranking nobles and their sons to narrow their eyes. Many spies had been caught and I was sure that certain recipes such as for paper were being leaked by workers that wanted a little extra cash on hand, as such I had to restrict travel into my territory to supervised merchants, immigrants and invited people of importance.

 

After my thinly veiled threat they knew that they weren’t going to get any question answered so the conversation shifted to the internal affairs of the kingdom. The aristocrats at my table started gossiping about the two princes and the princess. The crown prince had passed away last year leaving no declared heir. This caused the twin princes to conspire on who will be the next king. Most of the nobles have already taken sides forming the Theodore’s faction and Henry’s faction. My father was part of the neutral faction but was interested on joining one of the factions after deciding who has the greater odds. Suddenly one of the noble women turned to me and asked ‘’the prince’s 20th birthday will be coming in just a few months, I am curious as to who’s party you will attend’’. This caused the people to all look my way and pay close attention, it seemed like my father invited members of both factions in order to appear neutral and size up the two faction’s potential. ‘’Its quite the distance and time to travel to the capital, not to mention the roads can be treacherous and I have to stay here to manage my business’’ I replied with a neutral face. ‘’The time taken to travel from here to the capital is just a month though, shouldn’t you send your gratitude to the future king’’ one of the nobles said. ‘’Which one will be the future king though’’ I replied, deliberately changing the conversation from finding out who I would support to who the others supported. surprise spread across the noble’s face before he grinned. Immediately he started advertising Theodore which prompted members of both factions to praise the qualities of their chosen prince, eager to draw in the unaligned nobles into their faction.

 

Sitting in my seat I watched as the two groups engage in a battle of wits and tongue and lamented at the chaos I caused. I had to deflect various questions thrown at me but eventually the time for the party had ended and after saying goodbye to people whose names I had forgotten I headed up to bed and collapsed. This kingdom will experience a civil war as soon as king Judas dies, if not before. I will have to use that as my opportunity, but I need to be prepared to seize that opportunity. It is time to focus on expanding the military, I needed comrades in the coming revolution.

7