Chapter 9 – The First Request
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few weeks had passed since the evaluations and everyone in the team attended classes like normal. That was until, Priscilla came into the team dorm, paper in hand.

"I present to you, our first request as team Gleiviss," Priscilla said as she pinned a request paper on the board.

I stopped conjuring blades in my hands and eyed the paper. Aldis, who sat across the table from me, stopped creating flames in his hand and did the same.

The request asked for assistance in dealing with bandits that were harassing and stealing from traveling merchants. On the bottom, it was listed as a C-Rank request--the highest rank we could take. Because of our performance in the evaluation, we were able to skip F-D.

"I...don't really have much experience fighting other people," Aldis said, twiddling his thumbs. "Besides sparring classes."

"Then this will be a good opportunity for you," Priscilla replied as she marked a location on the table map.

"Twayle Mountains?" I said, looking at the map. "Is that not the place where the notorious bandit, Layton, used to prey on merchants?"

"Indeed. However, he has not been seen for a while now," Priscilla answered. "Which was why other bandits took the opportunity in his absence."

"When do we leave?" Aldis asked, his twiddling intensifying.

"Immediately. Oh and," Priscilla said before entering a different room. When she came back, she was holding clothes in her hands. "Both of you will be wearing these."

Aldis' twiddling intensified even further, to the point that I thought he could create fire with a stick between his hands and a log underneath. While I...I wondered how many ways this plan could go wrong.

...

Twayle Mountains. It was a place of interesting history regarding the creation of its mountain pass. Originally, the mountain was nearly impossible to traverse. The steep cliff and rough winds made it hard for even the most seasoned of climbers to scale. And because of that, it worked as a strong barrier between the Kingdoms of Feyet, and Huldevar. Before the Age of Darkness, these two kingdoms didn't really trade as often with each other and kept a mostly neutral relationship. However, after war had broken out during the Age of Darkness, their neutral relationship had broken down when an ally of Feyet decided to invade Huldevar and requested assistance. Answering their call, Feyet decided to carve a path through Twayle Mountains in attempt to catch Huldevar by surprise. But, Huldevar predicted this. When the pass was finished and Feyet's armies marched through it, they were ambushed instead. In the aftermath of the Age of Darkness, Huldevar still remained. Feyet and its ally was no more. And now, the pass served as a trade route for merchants; a shortcut between kingdoms. Unfortunately though, bandits stalk the place.

Which is why, while Aldis held the horse reins, I kept a vigilant eye of my surroundings. And Priscilla, she sat inside the carriage. Horses trotting at a steady pace, wind blowing softly, and birds cawing, the mountain pass held a peaceful atmosphere. An atmosphere that gave the illusion of safety.

"When do you think they'll appear?" Aldis asked me as he adjusted his outfit. The fur coat he wore was a tad too big for him and was slipping off. Other than his coat, he wore an elaborate hat, jeweled necklace, and other clothing which fit the description of a wealthy merchant. Equally as elegant, was the carriage.

As for me, I wore the clothes of a servant. Just a better than average tunic, leather shoes, and gloves to cover my crest. Originally, I was supposed to handle the reins, but I didn't know how to drive the carriage.

"It depends. They could have pitfalls set up, caltrops placed in ideal spots or, they could just be waiting. It wouldn't surprise me if they wanted the advantage of their traps," I replied, pretending to look at the map in my hands.

The rocky cliffs and limited lines of sight were perfect for bandits. They could be clinging on the edges, taking cover in the shadows, or hidden within the sides of the pass. This plan was risky, and a head on confrontation was the one thing I didn't want. And it was the same for Aldis. Even with his hands on the reins, I could still see him twiddling his thumbs. But despite our unease, we decided to trust Priscilla's plan.

"Hopefully if we do come across bandits, there are only a few of them," Aldis said. "Still though, we've been traveling through here for so long and nothing has happened. Even when we have no guards, we should've been ambushed already. Kind of unusual."

With those words of his, a realization hit me. If I were in the shoes of the bandits, a grand looking carriage with a wealthy merchant traveling without guards is just as unusual. Unusual enough for them to suspect that we're not who we seem we are. And if that is so, then maybe there is a remedy for this problem.

"Aldis, can you try making the horses go as fast possible?"

"Huh?" Was all that escaped from Aldis' mouth. Face full of confusion, he went speechless for a bit. And when he recovered, he urged the horses onward at a faster pace.

The wind could be felt at a greater force and the clopping of the horses resounded. Aldis held one hand on his hat to keep it from blowing away while his other hand held firmly to the reins.

"When I saw your head shoot up, I knew you thought of something. But, I didn't expect this," Aldis said. "What's it this time?"

"It's just a way to make the bandits think we're in a hurry. A simple trick really. We stand out way too much and it would be reasonable for the bandits to think there is something to be wary of. But, if we seem like we're in a hurry, then maybe it would be believable that a wealthy merchant would be using this shortcut despite the risks. At least, that's what I hope this would accomplish," I answered.

After we had traveled a good distance, it was then that my trick showed results. What came first was the sound of rumbling rocks. Me and Aldis quickly looked around to see where the sound emerged from and, it was Aldis who found out. When he pointed ahead us, I turned my attention there. And what I saw, was a rock-slide. Rocks big and small tumbled down the slope of the mountain and was going to block the path in front of us. I stood up from the carriage and looked behind us. It was the same sight. There was another rock-slide that was going to close the path behind us.

Aldis pulled the rein and the horses were brought to an abrupt stop, carriage swerving and nearly flipping over.

And timing on point, bandits emerged. They wore mismatched pieces of armor and wielded a wide array of weapons. Some were holding daggers, maces, spears, flails, and other weapons. From the slopes of the mountain some slid down. While the rest climbed up from the edge of the pass. And soon, we were trapped on all sides with no easy way out.

"I guess there aren't a few of them," Aldis whispered to me.

"Really? I didn't realize," I whispered back.

Before we could exchange any more words, a dagger was thrown between us, hitting the carriage with a thunk.

Directing my focus towards the person who threw the dagger, I saw a middle aged man grinning at us whilst juggling 2 other daggers. After he caught our attention, he stopped grinning and opened his mouth. But, the only sound that came of it was, "argh." Followed by a thud. And then two clanks.

The dagger wielding bandit was now on the floor, and standing over him was a buff and thick bearded man that punched him.

"What are you doin damagin the goods like that," the bearded man exclaimed. "Do you know how much that carriage could've been worth?"

"Sorry Moress, I thought I could intimidate the merchants this time," the dagger wielding bandit said as he layed on the floor.

Moress gave a sigh while shaking his head. After he was done berating the downed bandit, Moress walked towards the carriage in a cocky manner. As if there was nothing we could do to stop him or fight back.

"So what brings a fancy lookin merchant like you here?" Moress said and planted a hand on the carriage, shaking it.

"I-I was just on my way to get someone," Aldis said nervously. "If you don't let me go, my client will send search parties after me."

"And if we hold you hostage instead, how much do you they'll pay us to--" Moress then took a closer look at Aldis's face, "Aren't you a little young to be that wealthy."

Aldis was at a lost for words. He didn't expect the bandits to question his youth and was struggling to find a response for Moress. Before suspicions could arise from of Aldis's silence, I spoke in his stead.

"What about you then? You look a little old to be robbing people," I said.

Before I could react, Moress grabbed me by the shirt and threw me down from the carriage. His nose flaring and eyes glaring at me.

"You've got quite a tongue for a servant," Moress spat.

"Why, thank you," I replied and smiled. "And to answer your question, maybe it through a stroke of luck that he became rich. Anyways, we've got somewhere to be so, can you hurry with whatever you're doing."

Moress held out his hands and a hooded and thin bandit came to him. I couldn't see the face in the hood but, judging from the stature, it was someone young. The hooded bandit had two spiked gauntlets in their hand and fitted them on Moress. Once the bandit had done so, they moved away.

"When we're done here, you'll be left naked and cold, fend'in for yourself," Moress said.

"So you won't kill me? That's nice to know."

Metal clashing with the earth, Moress punched the space beside my head, leaving a small crater. As he lifted his hand back up, I saw Aldis's face. It was pale and his eyes were urging me to stop provoking the bandit.

Moress held out his hand and pointed to the door of the carriage. "Someone go check it. I'll deal with this clown."

Obeying his order, a bandit went to the carriage while Moress held me by my shirt, dragging me on the floor as he walked away from the carriage. But, Moress didn't get too far before turning around. My back turned away from the carriage, I couldn't see what was happening when I heard a yelp saying, "I knew it was a trap."

Suddenly, the bandits were in a clamor and I could hear shouting. When I was finally able to turn around, I saw golden chains exiting the carriage. The chains seemed to have a life of their own and moved independently from each other. Slithering like a snake, the chains found their prey and wrapped around a few bandits. In response, some of the bandits tried to deflect the chain with their blades, desperately swinging in order to protect themselves. Those that weren't fighting back, were instead running away.

While the bandits were busy trying not to get captured, Moress watched them and chuckled. He then let go of my shirt, and from his pockets, he pulled out a note. He looked around, making sure that no one was seeing what was to transpire. Then, he handed me the note.

"Nice job covering your friend's terrible act'in," Moress said.

"I do what I can. Was it you who sent the request?"

"It was. You've got a busy road ahead of you," Moress said and then gave me a small wave, "Till next time."

He then left for the other bandits and pounded his gauntlets together, shouting, "Retreat, retreat."

The disorderly bandits grouped up upon Moress's call and left the vicinity quickly, climbing off the cliff and going back where they came from. When the chaos had subsided, I started heading back to the carriage. It was then that I noticed that the rocks that had blocked our path had disappeared, as if they were never there to begin with.

And on the pass, amidst all the chained up bandits, was Priscilla. She stood amongst them with a smug look on her face and dusted off her hands. When I got close to the carriage, she noticed me, and gave me a nod of approval. And I, did the same.

1