Ch 4. Who comes with an axe (Updated)
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a dark room two voices were discussing something.

“Have they already discovered storage site?” (Voice 1)

“Locals were only spotted nearby. Right now the storage site is safe.” (Voice 2, emotionless as always)

“How soon will that change...?” (Voice 1)

“Might happen soon. Should I assign the site to be moved?” (Voice 2)

“Not needed. Send in the Purifiers.” Voice 1 said without a hint of interest.

“Follow the standard procedure?” (Voice 2)

“Yes.” (Voice 1)


Why would they just stay there? Were they the ones who burned the village?

I had a billion of questions. However, right now I should restrain from asking them. The two women were looking at me without much interest. But in their eyes I could see the silent phrase.

‘Go away’

Whoever they are, they surely know what happened.

One of them has white hair and black eyes. The other has brown hair and brown eyes. Their hair were long but not longer than to their shoulders. Their style is more suited for a maid or a servant.

I looked at their clothes. Yes, simple and practical clothing, suitable for work. They are not nobles. But their dressing is still better than a peasant's. They must be some nobleman's servants.

[BUT WHY?! Who sent them here to burn a village?!]

I had no words, no idea what was happening.

Suddenly they stood up and turned towards me. They both pointed their axes at me.

[Is this how I will die?]

The next moment they turned around and started to walk away, like nothing happened.


In the village I discovered only ashes. All houses were burned into nothing. A couple of carriages survived the inferno. By survived I mean that I could understand that those piles of burned wood were carriages…

Burned and still burning corpses of people were lying around. The bodies of people, who lived here before. Could it be possible for a human to order such a massacre? Whoever that monster is, Father must punish it.

My thoughts were running crazier. I never expected to witness something as crazy as this. My nose no longer could smell this, as if it died with me entering this graveyard.

The villagers were resisting them. Some bodies lack limbs, some were pierced with either a sword or a spear. Those bandits cannot be called people, even demons never slaughtered the entire population. My rage was fueled with each step while sanity was closing its extinction.


I don`t remember what happened next. I found myself far from the burnt area. But soon I was shocked again, when I found my companions.

They were lying on the ground in a pool of dried blood. Both had their chests pierced. Mythril plating did not save them. Even royal servants were not spared by those brutes.

[I am lucky to still be alive...]


A guard looked at me dumbfounded. He remembers that I walked out of the city but he didn't expect me to return so soon. For him I looked like a beggar, so pitiful was my appearance. They recognized me only after a knight arrived to take me away.

Father was shocked to see me like this.

What happened?!” (King)

I kept silence and then shook my head.

‘Not today’


All night I was seeing a nightmare.

A raging inferno. A smell of blood and burning flesh. Screams and begging of people. And ruthless women, clad in dresses of green and black.


My chest feels heavy, it`s hard to breath. I woke up to see golden hair, lying on me.

Are you awake?!” Elisa asked with worry.

Please…” I had no strength to say more. She nodded and lied down again.

[I will have to endure.]


My mind is mess. But I managed to tell Father what I saw. His only response was “It can`t be…

A lot of time passed, Elisa tried talking to me but I either ignored her attempts or was engrossed in my thoughts. I was wondering what Father meant back then. Many days have passed and Elisa had to return to their fief. Nothing of interest was happening in kingdom. Until one day, maybe a month after THAT, Father told me to come to the war room, where the most important decisions of the country are made.

As I was about to enter, I was suddenly stopped.

“George, are you alright?” A tall man with brown hair asked with concern.

I can attend, Roben…” I was not alright but at least I should answer my older brother.

“Let's go, the council is waiting.” (Roben)

As we entered the war room everyone stared at us.

“Your Highness First prince, Your Highness Second prince. We humbly welcome you.” Said one of the councilors.

“Sit down, Roben. George, please tell them about the women you saw. As many details as you can.” (King)

The council listened attentively each of my words.

You were right Your Majesty.” Said chancellor.

“Can you tell me, what are you talking about?” (George)

“We know who are the attackers.”

0