Chapter 2: New Noble’s Rise
107 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sword sat in its case collecting dust.  It has not been used in a long time.  When Borunin obtained nobility he only had time to reminisce on the past.  He had a family, and he had a territory to run.  Now a different man walked into Borunin’s study.  He was not unfamiliar, but he certainly changed.  This man was Borunin’s only child Darius.

Baron Darius Borunin sat at his father’s old desk.  It was his now, just like the rest of the territory.  Darius knew that his father was a faithful man to his mother, unlike those tired old nobles in the capital.  Baron Borunin knew that he had to lead his territory well.  His father was skilled in warfare, but he was not as skilled in management.  Darius was no prodigy in territory management himself, but he had to make sure this frail territory had firm roots.  

Darius slammed his fist on the desk.  He needed to do this right.  He was born a noble, but he was never really given a formal education.  Darius was raised by his common born mother and taught by soldiers.  He learned much from them, but he did not learn management.  Darius decided that he couldn’t come up with a plan at that moment, so he decided to look at his father’s decorations.  He browsed through the study, feeling waves of nostalgia and a tinge of grief.  When he reached the back of the room, he saw an unremarkable blade.  While he was puzzling out where the blade came from, he was hit with a memory of his Uncle Leo.  That man was the eldest son of Duke Dentry! 

As he was thinking of this, Baron Borunin caressed the sword.  His eyes lit up as he called for a messenger.  

“Send a message to House Dentry.  Baron Darius Borunin wishes to arrange a meeting with the esteemed Duke Leonard Dentry.”

After Darius said this, the messenger left immediately.  Darius walked to the sword case to shut it.  As he rose his hand, he felt another surge of emotion.  Baron Darius Borunin knew that the sword in front of him saved his father’s life long enough to have him.  Darius could not help but feel attached to this sword.  He called a servant for a sword belt.  When he obtained the belt, the servant put it on him and the sword in it.

House Dentry responded within the week.  The messenger brought news of their acceptance, and Darius could not help but be overjoyed.  He immediately arranged for transportation and headed off to meet his Uncle Leo.  

The sword on his belt glimmered brilliantly in the sunlight.  Darius Borunin embarked as soon as it was available.  His instincts told him that this was the start of something good.  The journey was filled with anxiety, as the future of House Borunin depended on this meeting.  Darius played with Borunin’s sword, hoping for the comfort of his father.  

When Baron Borunin arrived at Duke Dentry’s manor, his anxiety lessened.  He was welcomed into the manor by servants and led to Leo.  Leo was an old man.  He was of a similar age as the late Baron Borunin, but he did not seem to be close to death.  The last time he saw this nephew of his was at Borunin’s funeral, and Darius was too distressed to talk properly.  He was fond of this young man, as he watched Darius grow up.

“Baron Borunin!  When I heard you wished to visit, I immediately dropped what I was doing to see you.  If there is anything you need, just ask.  Your father was a good man, and I wish to lessen your burdens.”

“Thank you Uncle Leo, I actually have a problem.  I am not sure how I should govern the territory.  I know that you are a successful duke, so I trust that you have the expertise to help me.  I am lost.”

Leonard Dentry unhesitatingly asked about the situation.  Darius listed many statistics.  The good duke gave Darius advice for his problems and ideas to stand out to a prince.  His old eyes sparkled while he informed Darius of the basics of management.  Darius listened attentively to Leo, his admiration and gratitude for the Dentry family and Leo exceeding even Borunin.  

Darius took note and thanked Leo.  They idly chatted and caught up.  During that conversation, Leo told Darius about all the latest gossip.  There was another war approaching, and Leo’s son Ernest was preparing a large amount of soldiers for their prince.  Having heard this, Darius wondered why he was never told this.  When Darius inquired about this, Leo told him that the prince doesn’t want any noble family rising too quickly.  Satisfied by the conversation, the two exchanged pleasantries and parted ways. 

Darius left the Dentry Territory not long after.  The baron was undoubtedly better prepared, as he now had ideas to develop the territory.  Hurrying home, Darius knew that he had to slowly grow the territory.  It would be difficult, as his territory was highly forested.  Darius, however, knew that whatever was in the forest would likely be untouched.  Clearing the forest would be difficult, as danger lurks in the wilderness.  Darius will likely hire mercenaries and cartographers to explore it later.  For now, he would exploit the resources available to him.

And like that, Darius attempted to boots the wealth of his lands.  He found that Borunin mismanaged the lands and under taxed the peasantry.  After a bit of planning, the wealth Darius saw was increased by two fold.  His was now a family of wealthy barons, instead of new nobility.  He attended parties, and his lifestyle grew more sumptuous.  Darius, however, always kept in touch with the Dentry House.  He provided them with favors whenever needed.  

Soon enough, Darius had a noble wife.  He was highly faithful to her, and he did not have anyone else in his heart.  They had four children, one girl and three boys.  Darius was overjoyed, but this did not last.  Darius had military might, and his prince saw Darius’s prosperity.  He sent a message telling Darius to prepare for a war.  Darius tearfully said goodbye and left for the war with many soldiers, carrying his father’s old sword as he did for the last few years.

5