Discoveries
33 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Well, how does it look, Sally?” David asked as he removed the wires attached to him and walked over to the chair to take his shirt.

“Certainly, it seems like your body is getting stronger with each second passing, on a cellular level.” Sally replied as she opened up a few holograms in front of him.

“Yeah, figured.” David said thoughtfully as he looked at the records in front of him.

“But there is also something that I am not so sure about…” Sally hummed and then spoke. “I will need a DNA sample, a fresh one.”

“Ok.” He finished dressing and picked up a syringe, using it to draw blood out of his arm. He transferred it into a transparent glass test tube carefully and placed it into the microscope, custom build and pressed a few buttons.

“That is really handy, indeed.” Sally pointed out, due to her stolen ‘memories’, this level of technology was not commonly found.

“Of course, it is.” David snorted. “It’s my creation, after all.”

“Oh, really? I see a lot of use-…less handy gadgets present here.” Sally retorted; her voice full of mirth.

David opened his mouth to say something but stopped in tracks. “Wait, did you just say they were useless?” He asked, more like stating a fact.

“I certainly don’t remember saying anything like that.” Sally said, innocently.

“No, I know you-“ His protests were interrupted by Sally speaking up.

“David, there is a problem.” Her voice was serious, no hint of the previous amusement could be found.

“Fine, ill let you have this one.” David grumbled and asked, humorously. “What is it? Will I grow cat ears and tails?”

‘That I am not so sure about and this is exactly the problem here.” David’s smile faded into a scowl as she continued.

“Your DNA is unlike any human, there is another gene present there, that I believe is causing the mutation. It has never been heard of before so there are no records about it either, at least to my knowledge.”

“And you cannot predict what type of mutations it might cause?” David finished instead of Sally.

“Yes, exactly. In what way it will behave is unknown, but it’s been staying docile for now” Sally continued. “But that’s not everything, there is another issue.”

“For now, huh.” He heaved a sigh at that. One thing after another keeps coming up. He was really getting tired of this.

“Whats the next issue?” He asked as Sally continued.

“This specific gene is forcibly accelerating your metabolism, granting enhanced strength, speed, reflexes and such, which results in excessive burden on the cells and tissues. Due to this, your cells are broken down and rebuild all over again, while the new cells are far stronger than the previous ones, and the process requires a huge amount of energy to complete.

You will feel more hunger and will need to intake large amounts of calories but that’s not the main concern. Your cells have already been reconstructed a few times already, but the process still has not stopped. Your cells are continuously in the cycle of breaking doing and reconstructing. Although there is a low chance but if it is not stopped and it continues, the cells won’t be able to hold the burden of you will…”

“Explode.” David deadpanned while Sally was hesitating with her choice of words.

“Yes, precisely so. Though that’s not the word I would like to use also, I would prefer to not be interrupted each time like this.”

“You are a hundred years too early for that.” He retorted.

“So, in addition to having no idea if ill wake up with a third arm or a tail next morning, I am also a walking time bomb that has no idea when it’ll explode!” He growled. “Could this get any worse?”

“Calm down, David. And you are tempting fate like this.”

“Fate can go to hell.” He massaged the bridge of his nose as he sighed. “…and I am calm now. Thanks”

“Anytime.” Sally said, a slight mirth in her voice.

“By the way, what is that?” David pointed towards a monitor on the far left.

“That is, in simple words, a radar. It can bypass whatever was blocking the systems and detect any life forms within the area. Though the range is still not satisfactory and is very small, around 500 meters.” Sally supplied helpfully; it was one of her solo projects she had done in all this time.

“...So. it can detect all life forms in a radius of 500 meters, huh.” David asked as the feeling of dread welled from deep within him. “ …Then all those dots on the screen are what I think they are?”

“…I told you, you were tempting fate, David.”

“Well, fuck me.”

 

 

 

 

2