49: Wayland the Smith
49 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Scott, who is this guy? Alex was eating his breakfast omelet while looking into the Seal card he checked last night.

Wayland was there, on his hands and knees praying for mercy and salvation.

‘Sir, that is Wayland the Smith. A blacksmith of legendary renown,’ Scott answered.

*Chew* *Chew*

“Is there a way I can flush him out of this card so I can reuse it?” Alex didn’t know the meaning of the word mercy.

‘Sir, he may have considerable use for us soon. I suggest contracting him as a General.’

*Chew* *Chew*

“Fine, but I need to get more Seal cards. I’ll contract this guy and we’ll have a team meeting. Get everyone together.”

It only took a moment for Wayland to agree to serve Alex. Escaping Purgatory was a blessing. 

After breakfast, Scott led Alex into Cardopolis where all the Generals gathered in the sky lounge.

Alex spoke. “Napoleon. Wayland. I trust you’ve settled in.”

‘…I only arrived here 5 seconds ago,’ Wayland thought, but nodded with emphasis.

Alex noticed something unusual. “Dracula, aren’t you allergic to sunlight?”

Dracula responded, “Sunlight and peanuts Lord.”

Alex squinted. “Then why aren’t you combusting into flames? It’s the middle of the day.”

Dracula answered, “That would have been the case on Earth, but in Cardopolis I am much more powerful, Lord.”

“…So you’re not allergic to sunlight here?” Alex was unclear.

“I still am, Lord, but I can now apply sunblock in a godly manner.”

“Count Chocula’s speaking privileges have been revoked for the day. Scott, describe the next mission.” Alex ended Dracula’s set early.

“Sir, we will go to Kitezh, also known as Buyan, an underwater city in Russia. It houses a powerful weapon we must acquire. We will attempt to sneak in and steal it without alerting anyone.”

Alex asked, “So there are enemies there? Also, if it’s underwater, how do you expect me to get inside?”

“Sir, I would not call them enemies, but it would be best to avoid them. Regarding the underwater location, I have a solution,” Scott answered.

Alex nodded. “Ok. Let’s go visit Leena to collect Seal cards.”

“…Sir, if you like, we can get the cards. You don’t have to go in person,” Scott said.

“No! I’m a hands-on factory manager. From now on, call me whenever you make collections…with Leena. The others, I don’t care.” Alex was ready to be "hands-on" with his employees.

“Yes, Sir.” Scott agreed.

“We need to prepare a few things first,” Alex stated.

Leena was meditating in her workspace, making Seal cards for God.

All of a sudden, she heard a maid’s scream from outside. “Look! In the sky!”

Disturbed by the commotion, Leena walked to her courtyard and glanced upward. There was a large unknown object descending towards her residence at a slow pace. Her maids squinted and tried to make out what it was.

“Is that a giant bird?”

“No. I think it’s a flying carriage?”

“It looks more like a palanquin?”

All great guesses. As the object came into view, everyone present dropped to their knees. They recognized that this was an object deserving of great reverence…yet deep down, they also felt great disgust.

A massive vehicle descended into the courtyard. It was an antiquated mode of transportation, but as Alex put it, it showed his majesty.

It was a dog sled pulled by his Generals.

They all had harnesses around them, tied at the front. The only one spared was Scott, who used his silver tongue to convince Alex that his addition would throw off the sled’s Feng Shui.

The Generals were not in the highest spirits but didn’t dare show it.

*Snort* Their lack of enthusiasm made Scott unsatisfied. “Not happy? You should consider yourselves lucky. I wanted to make a human centipede! …Lucky for you, Scott told me it would be too hard to steer.”

Most of the people present didn’t know what that was, but felt in their gut that by how it sounded…it couldn’t be any good thing.

Alex stepped off the sled and walked over to Leena who was kowtowing. “Rise Leena, you’ve been doing great work.”

“Th…Thank you Lord!” Leena rose, keeping her head down, frightened to death of this sled-like abomination. It’s no wonder. As far as she knew, those were Gods! Yet, Alex was using them as reindeer!

Alex collected the Seal cards from Leena as he took his time walking around the premises. “I’ll be making more regular visits from now on…”

“That would be my greatest honor, Lord!” Leena replied.

Alex stared at the girl for a long time before turning around to leave, showing a sinister smile as he yelled “Mush!” and whipped his sled dogs.

Back in the sky lounge, Alex had Scott hold a bag of treats as his Generals lined up, each receiving one in turn. They did their best to fake bright smiles but still looked like they were crying.

The only exception was Hades who couldn’t restrain his obvious disappointment. ‘…I wanted lamb!’

 


Author's Note:

Wayland the Smith was a mythical blacksmith in both Norse and western European mythology. His attributed works include the following:
-The mail shirt and sword used by Beowulf.
-The sword Gramr, which Siguard used to kill the dragon Fafnir
-Durandal, the sword of Roland, according to Karlamagnus Saga: though in Orlando Innamorato Durandal is said to have been originally the sword of Hector of Troy.

“Wayland the Smith” - (religion.wikia.org)
(https://owlcation.com/humanities/The-Magic-of-Crafting-and-Wayland-the-Smith)

3