Chapter 17
164 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I let out a groan as my eyes opened. Where was I? My screen was blinking violently, and I opened it with a tired mental swipe.

You have been afflicted with the Charm Debuff.

You have been knocked unconscious.

You have gained basic charm resistance I

I dismissed the notifications and looked around the room I was in. There was a single wrought iron door that you would find in a dungeon. A soft orange glow from torches that were just out of view cast a dim glow on the wall and only partially into where I was. Other than that, there was nothing—those damn Magi-templars. I was honest when I told them I didn’t kidnap her. I stood up and looked around and saw a form shrouded in shadows leaning against the wall in front of the door.

“I told you I didn’t take her.” I hissed through my teeth as I staggered to my knees and shot a withering glare towards the man. I heard a snicker from the shadows, and the man stepped forward into the torchlight.

“I’m not worried about that. I have far more important things to look after than a lost girl.” A set of familiar grey eyes appeared and flashed with mirth. Oh, so it was this guy. I narrowed my eyes.

“Who are you, and what do you want from me?”

The Dark Elf shrugged and rested his hands against the door. “My name? Aegir. I was ordered to retrieve you.”

My throat went dry as all the worse possibilities started to rush through my mind. That was it for me; I was captured to be used as someone's plaything. I clenched my fist and felt small warm trails of tears start to run down my face. “Will you relax? I don’t know what you think this is, but I can assure you we are not a sex trafficking ring.”

Should I trust the word of a man who kidnapped me? I prodded some more to see if I could get some information. “Where am I? What do you want with me?”

Aegir shrugged and leaned back against the wall.”You are in a holding cell at a Harlequin amphitheater. As for what we want with you, that we do not know. For it's not us that want something with you.”

“What do you mean?” What did the Harlequins want with me? They were the chosen of Steve. They prowled the land and were renowned for their plays and music. However, even beyond that, there wasn't much that was known about them. I have heard many things on the street. Some say they were reapers that lived in the night. Others say they were master spies and could bring a kingdom to its knees with only the barest of efforts. Maybe, I got lucky, and this is just a step closer to Steve.

“I am simply following orders.” As he said that, I felt a draft blow through the cell I was in, causing the torches to flicker. The air started to feel heavier, and a presence, unlike any other, began to settle around me. “Ah, he's here,” Aegir muttered under his breath and took a knee. His grey pants crinkled as he knelt down. The air kicked around again, and I scrambled to the back corner of the cell as primal fear started to fill me. I heard the sound of a boot hitting a stone in the distance, that echoed down the halls, causing it to magnify in my ears. Then another, and then another after that. A noise that grew louder with each passing second and filled me with unyielding fear. Another gust of wind blew into the cell, and cold air kissed my exposed flesh. I have never felt this level of power before in my life, and it terrified me.

You have been inflicted by the Intimidation status.

You have been inflicted by the fear status effect.

You have been inflicted by the terror status effect.

The humming sound filled the air, with a quiet, haunting melody that filled my gut with frozen dread. “You may stand Aegir. Thank you for retrieving her.” A deep voice came from just beside the door to my cell. I glanced over at it as I tried to see what had come for me.

“As you wish, my lord.” Aegir vanished in a flash of pixelated light. The air settled in heavy silence, and doubts started to torment me. Each one was eating me alive. My heart thudded roughly in my chest, and terror was slowly devouring my psyche.

“Hello there, Miss Estelle. I appreciate you coming on such short notice.” The unknown figured said. His voice changed from a deep tone filled with boundless power to something softer and more kind.

“Who are you?” I stuttered out. With the change in his voice. The terror that ate away at me slowly vanished. Hopefully, I could start to regain my wits while dealing with whoever this was.

“Who am I? That has been a question that has existed for countless centuries. Who am I? What do I want? But the real answer is, I am not even sure myself.” I heard the set of footsteps grow closer, and I felt my heart skip a beat at sight before me. From the right side, the torch cast a glow, a masked face that was twisted in tortured pleasure, and in the shadows, I could make out the shape of a face locked in despair. Nothing short of disbelief filled me as I realized who this was. I was staring at Steve himself.

I quickly righted myself and fought the terror that coursed through my veins and threw myself on the ground before him. “I am so sorry, and I had no idea that it was you. Please forgive my insolence.” I tried to lay on the flattery to save myself. I was standing before a god. One that was feared for his unpredictability. I forced my face into the stone floor. Each breath I took brought dust up through my nose, and I had to fight to hold back from coughing. I feared for my life. I knew that I had the quest to visit each god, but I never imagine it would happen so soon. I had no idea even the proper way to handle this situation.

“Do not apologize. It was me that dragged you into this situation.: I felt a hand touch my shoulder and pulled me up. Steve’s face was hidden behind the visage of his mask. The only visible part of it was his eyes. One was as blue as the river that ran next to Orsalon, while the other was as brown as the chocolate that came in from the far west kingdoms. I quickly averted my eyes so as not to stare at him for too long. One has to show the utmost respect to the gods if they wish to live. At least that's what I told myself anyway.

“I actually collected so we could discuss your trial. You are the Everchosen after all, right?” He asked as he set me back down, and I nodded my head while looking away. He chuckled, and it sounded like the most beautiful song I have ever heard. “You know. It would help if you were more resolute. Even if you are dealing with a deity. My siblings all respect those that know how to stick up for themselves”

He was right. I have always been a proud woman. The fact that I am acting like this is sad. Even if he was a god. I turned my head back to him and saw that he had his arms crossed and leaned against the wall. “Good, good, you are learning. Now that we got that out of the way. Let's discuss your trial, shall we?”

I perked up at that. I still had to complete my quest. “What will you have me do?” I felt a different emotion blossom in me at that. I still had to complete this quest, which would be the first step in the right direction.

Steve stared at me for a moment, and I grew uncomfortable as time passed. Yet, it also gave me a chance to realize what was going on finally. I was talking to a god, and my life will never be the same. Finally, he spoke, and I suddenly became apprehensive. "You, my dear, are going to become a harlequin.”

4