Chapter 19
138 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Oi sorry for the late upload! I was trying to build up chapters so I can do every other day releases! 

Shameless Links

Discord: https://discord.gg/CWDycd8

Paetreon:  https://www.patreon.com/silentoverseer

Consider joining my Patreon to support my writing habits <3 I upload a new chapter weekly and five chapters every two weeks or so!


‘Herald of Winter’ has been soul bound to you. Due to the nature of this weapon, you have been granted the ice magic affinity.

Title Earned:

Herald of Winter I: This title once belonged to a mighty serpent of the north before it was slain and had its essence bound to a weapon. With this title, you gain a fraction of its essence. Grants you the serpentine grace and dexterity passive. Increase to ice magic affinity. Increase to movement speed—grants the Winter’s Aura passive. Grants massively increased cold resistance.

Permanent Passives gained:

Serpentine Grace: You move with the grace of a serpent. Grants an increase to grace.

Serpentine Dexterity: You have the dexterity of a serpent. Grants an increase to dexterity

Winter’s aura: You passively emanate the aura of winter around you. The aura's size and strength are based on your mana pool, your mastery over ice magic, and the level of the ‘Herald of Winter’ title. It adds a stacking cold debuff on all targets in its radius.

 

Ice magic tree has been unlocked. You have unlocked the following skills:

Basic Ice Manipulation: Allows for the manipulation of ice.

Freeze: Using Ice magic, you can freeze water in the surrounding area.

 

This weapon was nuts! What are these stats? I clenched the handle of the sword and stepped back. My mind was overwhelmed with the information that I was receiving. I just received a massive stat increase from this weapon, along with a new school of magic. I didn't imagine that I would get the ice magic tree, though. I gazed at my new weapon in wonder. This would make things so much easier. It was a massive increase in my strength, and I got it for free! Well, only partially at any rate. Now all I would have to do is finish Steve's quest, and I would get my third mark.

“The next Neophyte has chosen! This young human female has truly limitless potential. A power that has never before graced Ouradia. However, the question is, which amongst the venerable sects will choose her?” He trailed his words as he finished his sentence and watched the Dark Elves. I could feel the distaste radiating from them. They hated me; they didn’t want me here. I felt a wave of embarrassment course through me as time slowly ticked on. Why was I here? Was I really good enough? I tried to keep my face steady and hide my emotion. I refused to look weak in front of them.

Time slowed to a crawl, and no one made a motion. The embarrassment I felt turned to shame, and a sense of deep, permeating sadness started to grow in my chest. I wasn’t going to get accepted. My quest would end here. It was all over. Just as my thoughts started to spiral, Steve’s voice pulled me back from the edge of the abyss. “The Solitaire Raegil has taken you. Welcome to the family.” I glanced up and saw a jade sign flip backward. “Go take your seat now.” Steve motioned towards the stands and the direction of the Dark Elf. I took a steadying breath and clenched the handle of my new weapon. I placed it towards my hip and kept walking. I exited the platform, keenly aware of all the eyes that were on me.

It's not like I wanted to be here myself. I rolled my eyes and started walking up the staircase. The Dark Elf that chose me wore a silver embroidered mask shaped in what could only be called an apathetic expression though it was a bit tough to see any more than in the dim lighting and from my position. As I got closer, I saw that he was wearing a simple robe with a golden weave stitched into it. The dark elf pointed to the seat next to him. “You speak Orsolonian, yes?” He asked quietly as another Neophyte stepped up to take a weapon.

“I do. How did you guess?” I sat next to him and looked at the gathering of Dark Elf neophytes that was slowly dwindling as they selected their weapons and were taken into the various sects.

“Skin tone. You, humans, look different in each area you live in. Orsalon and the countries around tend to have that same skin tone. So I took an educated guess.” He stared ahead, into the collection of Neophytes as Steve continued with

“I’m not sure how to feel about that response, to be honest. It felt kind of racist.” I settled into my chair a bit and clenched my new weapon like a lifeline. I was in a strange place by myself in a room full of beings that hated my kind.

He visibly shrugged and adjusted his robe. “Take it as you will. Anyways, let's bail. I detest meetings like this.” He stood and motioned for me to follow him.

“Wait, we shouldn’t just up and leave, especially for something like this.” I hissed through my teeth at him.

“Rule number one of being a Harlequin, specifically a Solitare. Most rules are just guidelines for us. Now come along, little human. We have a lot to do.” He turned his back to me, showing long silver hair tied up in a tight ponytail that hung down to his shoulders.

“I have a name.” I shot back quietly as I quickly followed him out. I noticed a few eyes glaring into my direction from some of the other Neophytes. I ignored them continued to look around the room. My eyes met Steve’s. He didn’t look perturbed at the fact I was already leaving. In fact, I felt like he was smiling at me from under his mask. I gave him a respectful nod before I quickly caught up to Raegil.

“Yes, you do, little human. But we will get there in time. Now come along. It's been a long day, and I wish to get home.” We approached the entrance to the amphitheater and took a right. The halls were dimly lit by torches that were burning very softly.

“Long day for you? You're not the one who got kidnapped in the middle of the day and taken to Helios knows where and auctioned off to Dark Elves.” I fired back loudly now since we were away from the selection, and since I was finally to the boiling point with my annoyance.

“You’re right. However, that still doesn’t detract from the fact that my day has been long.” He replied as we finally managed to escape the hallway and walked through a large lobby.

Massive pillars rose into the ceiling. Each one had a single torch that flickered gently. On each pillar were dozens of masks. Some were cracked and had brown stains covering them. Others were fully intact and looked over the lobby like ever-present sentinels. My remark caught in my throat as we walked through it. This room had a haunting beauty to it. A hidden history that I would never fully know. “Where are we?” I asked as I looked at the hundreds of masks that dotted the giant mausoleum.

“The mausoleum of the Harlequin. Every Harlequin that has ever lived is memorialized within this hall. That includes Neophytes as well.” Our footsteps echoed throughout the massive room as we moved across it. I was far too stricken with its beauty to say anything else about it. I kept my mouth shut and just moved quietly along with him. He didn’t seem to be much of a talker, which didn’t bother me. It gave me some time to think. I glanced at the sword that was in my hand and pondered on Steve’s words. This weapon would define my future. Did that mean that all the other Neophytes got a special soul bounded weapon like this? I had so many pressing questions that I couldn’t wait to have answers for. Especially about my gear. Would I get that back? What about my mom? Where even was I? The thoughts tore through my mind like a runaway carriage, and I couldn’t seem to stop them.

Eventually, we managed to exit the amphitheater entirely and entered a large forest softly lit by the rings that crossed the entire length of the night sky. Those rings were one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Each layer was a different shade of blue and glittered brilliantly. I stopped for a moment, and a memory teased my thoughts. It was the last time that I saw Nia. It was the night she was told me about Kairos. The being who these rings were named after. But the second that thought crossed my mind, I cursed myself. I had a chance to ask one of the major deities who Kairos was, and I blew it. I pushed on further following Raegil into the quiet forest with a sigh as we entered the forest ready to start my training.

4