Chapter 3
61 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

I rewrote this chapter 3 times, struggling to be satisfied with how it turned out.  Still unsure. requestion opinions please

[collapse]

The creak of a door opening, the hinges long past the need for oil, drew her attention.  A black band covered her eyes, obstructing her view.  A chain strapped to her leg melded into the wall behind her.  Though her vision was blocked, she could still see almost everything clearly through the ether.  The result of one of their experiments.  Everything held ether, even the smallest pebble. Even while blinded, as long as she chose to, she could see each object or person.

 

A dark blue figure entered the room.  The figure seemed featureless save for the human-like shape, but each person had their own unique color of mana allowing her to easily identify him.  Kynn has long seen him on his way.  One of the bonuses of this ability.  Walls couldn’t obscure her vision now if she focused hard enough.  “Where’s my sister Grissen?”  Kynn asked sharply.

 

“Oh, you still haven’t found her with your new vision yet?  I guess even that has its limits even with how much power you hold.”  Grissen responded while writing something down on the clipboard he carried.  “You forgot to address me as Doctor again.”  He said darkly after finishing his notes.

 

Kynn watched the hazy blue figure trudge toward her.  She knew what was coming because she could see the amount of ether swelling in one of his hands that he drew back.  A moment later she felt the impact across her face and soon after the wind knocked from her as she slammed into the wall she was chained to.  Falling to her knees with a grunt and gasping for breath.

 

“I’ll not be belittled by a beast.  I am a doctor with prestige and you are but a result of years of work in one body that will be used to enhance our own soldiers.”  Grissen stated, his tone unwavering, as he walked to the other side of the room and sat in a chair.  “You should forget you even had a sister.  There are no plans to reunite you two anyways.”  He said while watching Kynn struggle back to her feet.

 

With a hand on the wall to support herself, Kynn turned her attention back to Grissen.  Watching the blue figure sit there, taunting here, causing her anger to spike.  Pulling all the ether in the surrounding area to herself in an attempt to lash out, only for it to be ripped out of her grasp.  She watched in frustration as all the ether she collected drained into the chain strapped to her ankle.

 

“Good, looks like the binding is still holding.  You won’t be able to break free or use ether to resist us.  The runes on it were inscribed by me personally.  As long as it remains intact, all of your ether and any that you try to pull to yourself will be drained every time.”  Grissen stated matter of factly.

 

Kynn, giving up for the moment, plopped down to the floor and leaned against the cool stone wall.  Her attention being drawn to the object that came in with her tormentor, causing her to freeze and break out in a cold sweat.  The ether she saw radiating from this object was so dense that it could not be seen through, the color a deep red, unlike any other form of ether she had seen before.  The shapes she saw in the ether were always opaque, allowing her to see through them.  This was the first time she could not see through an item.  Kynn only felt fear in response to this item.  “What the hell is that?”  Kynn asked, unable to hold back her emotion towards it.

 

“This is the latest result of an experiment.”  Grissen replied, picking up the object.  “Ether condensed so much that it became a tangible liquid I could put into a jar.”  He said after giving it a slight shake.  “What does it look like to your ether vision?”  He asked his pen ready for more notes.

 

It wasn’t the first time he brought something for her to look at due to her sight, but it was the first that struck fear in her.  She didn't know how Grissen or anyone else saw it, but to her vision now, the ether trapped in the jar seemed very volatile and looked as if it was trying to break free from it’s prison.  “It looks like a living monster trapped in a jar.”  Kynn muttered in response.  “What did you do?”  She couldn’t help but question.

 

Ignoring her question, Grissen began scribbling away, most likely noted her opinion of the ether.  “We drained blood from those of the demon clan, then pulled the ether from the vat of blood.  Then that ether was condensed as much as possible by the ether acolytes and this is the result.”  He spoke as if the atrocities committed for this result were just another bit of research that did not affect anyone.

 

His explanation only confirmed that it was made with extreme cruelty in tow, but what caused the fear in her most was what he said after.  “Today’s experiment will be you drinking this.”  He said it as if it were just a passing comment, but Kynn knew nothing good would come of this.

 

“You’re mad, that’s condensed ether from multiple creatures.  If I were to drink that I would explode!”  Kynn yelled in panic.  “Living bodies can only hold so much ether!”  She continued to plead as she backed into the corner of the room, the furthest distance the chain on her leg would allow.

 

“There’s no need to worry about that.”  Grissen said then clapped his hands signaling the other body of yellow ether that waited just outside the door to enter.  “I’ve made another shackle similar to the one you already wear.  Both of them together will pull the ether from you when it reaches a certain point.  Leaving just enough inside you for us to see what kind of changes will happen.”  The glee in his voice as if he was proud of his own thoughtfulness, as he signaled the other figure forward.

 

Already pushed into a corner, there was nowhere for Kynn to hide as the yellow figure walked towards her before leaning down.  The yellow figure of ether grabbed her right leg in a vice like grip causing her to shudder as the cold metal shackle snapped shut around her ankle.  “Good, you can leave now.”  Grissen instructed the yellow figure, who then retreated out of the room and left down the hall.  “You’ve not much choice in this matter.  You will drink it.”  He said darkly.

 

Kynn could only hope to disappear into the stone wall behind her and she pressed herself deeper into the corner in an attempt to escape.  Grissen stood up and as he walked towards her he snapped his fingers.  As the sound of the snap rang out, Kynn felt heat from the new shackle spark up as it consumed the remaining vestiges of ether that she held inside.  With the last bit of her energy gone, she fell limp unable to muster any strength to her limbs.

 

The only thing Kynn could do is watch on in horror as Grissen’s blue hazy figure leaned down and gripped her chin, forcing her mouth open and tilting her head back, pouring the demonic contents of the jar down her throat.

 

Kynn’s  reaction was almost instantaneous, as the moment it touched her tongue and lips it felt as if she were drinking acid.  Her innards roiled from what just entered her body feeling as if she would be ripped apart at any time.  Wanting to vomit it all out, but her muscles still too weak to contract and force out the contents of her stomach.  Soon after she felt a sharp pain in her head as it felt like something was invading her consciousness.  Unable to resist her mind went blank and her body suddenly felt numb like everything that was happening was not affecting her.  Welcoming the detached feeling, Kynn stared at the ceiling, un-moving.

 

Grissen stood there watching over Kynn marking notes of everything he observed.  ‘Experiment with Demon Blood Ether consumed by the mana beast. An almost instant reaction, the subject showed extreme discomfort the moment the ether was consumed.  Results within 10 seconds of consumption are pale skin becoming flush with a dark red tint. Hair originally pure white now has a tint of red at the roots close to the subject's scalp.’

 

Pausing his notes for a moment he lifted the band covering Kynn’s eyes.  ‘Results within 20 seconds, subject’s eyes have changed to a deep red matching that of the liquid state ether.’  Taking a closer look at her eyes, he continued his notes.  ‘Subject seems to have entered a comatose state apparent from the lack of focus in the iris.’

 

Looking down to the shackles each rune could be seen glowing brightly with the same color as Kynn’s eyes.  ‘Ether restriction shackles seem to be holding strong, all excess ether is being drained.  No damage should result from excess ether in the body.’

 

Taking a moment to sense the ether in Kynn, Grissen flashed a smile at what he saw and continued his notes.  ‘Subject has assimilated the Blood Ether.  From the current observations, the process has not been completed, it is unknown how long it will take to finish.  Initial observation of the subject's ether shows the once pure light blue ice ether is now entwined with the blood ether, but is staying separate and not completely mixing.  Pausing observations to give time for the process to complete, will return after an hour to note any changes.’

 

Finished with his last note, Grissen tucked the clipboard under his arm as he turned to leave the room.  “Show me some good results, little beast.”  He said just before closing the door behind him.

 

Kynn’s eyes still hidden behind the blind fold suddenly grew sharp and shot towards the door as they followed the dark blue figure of ether that represented Grissen.  “Pray we never escape, human.  Our revenge will be bloody and gruesome.”  Kynn said darkly, her voice rough from the burn of the blood ether that went down her throat.  Her hand petting the shackle on her left leg that glowed brightly with the ether that was stored in it.  “As soon as I find you, sister, we will have them pay.”  She said just before nodding off to sleep.

2