3: I won’t be late to saving you in the future.
47 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The unexpected action gave Bai Qing Mei pause but before she could think anything more of it, Xu Wen Han released her hand, walked around to the other side of the table, and sat down. 

After adjusting the position of his chair, he looked up at Bai Qing Mei with a smile. "Would this be your first time at this restaurant, Miss Bai?"

Bai Qing Mei mirrored his smile. "Yes, it is. How about you, Mr. Xu? Have you been to this restaurant before?" 

"Someone brought me to this restaurant nearly ten years ago and I've been eating here ever since," answered Xu Wen Han as he handed her a menu. "Over the years their menu has underwent many changes but the quality of their food has never dropped."

"Ten years. That's quite a long time," mused Bai Qing Mei. "Is there anything from their current menu that you would recommend?" 

"I find their wild boar risotto, shrimp zucchini pasta, truffled beef carpaccio, and seasonal fruit tart to be especially well-made." 

"Much obliged. I will keep that in mind." 

As Xu Wen Han looked down to study the menu, Bai Qing Mei studied him while holding up a menu to make it seem like she wasn't. 

Although she hadn't really harboured high hopes for this blind date set up by her mother, from a purely objective standpoint, Xu Wen Han really was a good-looking man. Peering closely, she could tell that his features weren't quite symmetrical but somehow they seemed to command more attention because of it. Furthermore, judging by the way his expensive suit hugged the contours of his body, it was evident that he possessed an excellent figure. 

Bai Qing Mei lightly drummed the table with her fingers. Based on aesthetics alone, she wasn't suffering any losses by attending this date.

"Have you made your selection yet, Miss Bai?" Xu Wen Han's voice contained a hint of amusement making it seem as if he had been well aware of her little movements. 

Bai Qing Mei withdrew her fingers and began to nonchalantly flip through the menu. "...I've nearly decided." 

Xu Wen Han gave a low chuckle. "Please take as much time as you need. It would be sinful to make a beautiful woman such as yourself feel rushed." 

Bai Qing Mei tucked a loose of strand of hair behind her ear. It would appear that Xu Wen Han was rather adept at delivering flirtatious lines. 

After a beat, she redirected her focus to the menu in front of her and made note of some dishes that interested her. "Sorry for the wait, Mr. Xu. I've made my selection."

"No worries, Miss Bai. Let me have a waiter come to our table."

Moments later, a waiter arrived at their table and they placed their orders. 

Once the waiter left, they began to engage in casual conversation. 

As they chatted, Bai Qing Mei began to think that in a manhua, someone with Xu Wen Han's appearance and temperament would most definitely be the male lead. This was because not only was he a hard-working man of innumerable competencies, he was also a man whom was deeply ambitious. 

While most people would be content with being a marketing director at one of the largest corporations in the nation at the mere age of 28, Bai Qing Mei could sense that Xu Wen Han had bigger plans for himself and that he wanted to rise even higher. This was a man that wouldn't be satisfied until he reached the peak. 

However, knowing all of this, Bai Qing Mei's interest in him waned. She whom slept in every morning, barely kept up with deadlines, and ultimately aspired to a quiet small town life as popularized by the Studio Ghibli films would not find happiness alongside someone like Xu Wen Han. 

Bai Qing Mei glimpsed at the corner where Xu Wen Han had moved to in order to pick up an important business call. A pity. His appearance was truly top-tier but alas, it seemed that their fate would end with this one date. 

When Xu Wen Han returned to the table, Bai Qing Mei was wiping her mouth with a neutral expression. 

"I apologize for my impoliteness, Miss Bai. Normally, I'd try to ignore work calls during my lunch hour but there were some urgent matters at the company that needed my immediate attention. I hope you didn't mind."

"It's alright, Mr. Xu. I was only finishing my braised duck." 

"Ah, the braised duck here isn't bad but by far the best braised duck I've ever had was at this little known restaurant in Paris." There was a trace of nostalgia in Xu Wen Han's voice as he mentioned this. "You wouldn't think that that little restaurant would be remarkable from the outside but the food there was truly delicious. It certainly goes to show that you can't judge something by its outward appearance alone doesn't it?" 

Bai Qing Mei gave a noncommittal hum in response whilst inwardly wondering how her mother would react if she were to report that this date proved to be unfruitful. There was no doubt that she'd be displeased but would she really force her to go on blind dates with those other son-in-laws candidates she had lined up?

Bai Qing Mei recalled her mother's frighteningly eager eyes when she had dropped her off earlier and imperceptibly shuddered. Who was she kidding? Knowing her mother, if this blind date went awry then she would most certainly persist on sending her on more blind dates. 

Bai Qing Mei gripped the corner of her napkin in frustration. If only there was some way she could rightfully refuse to go on any more blind dates without hurting her mother's feelings. 

"Miss Bai? Are you alright?" 

"...Sorry, what?" 

Naturally, someone as capable as Xu Wen Han had noticed that his blind date partner had gradually grown more indifferent towards him as the date progressed but what he couldn't figure out was the reason why. However, before he could consider what course of action he should take, from behind him he heard a soft voice hesitantly call out, "Xiao Han?" 

Turning his head, Xu Wen Han met the eyes of an exquisite and gentle looking beauty and immediately stood up a daze. "...Lian Hua?" 

"So it really was you, Xiao Han." Han Lian Hua exposed a relieved smile. "For a moment there I thought I had recognized the wrong person."

"When did you return to the country?" asked Xu Wen Han slowly. 

"Just recently. I was planning to call you after I got settled." Han Lian Hua's eyes grew a touch warmer. "I didn't think you'd still be going to this restaurant after all of these years." 

Xu Wen Han's expression involuntarily softened. "Of course, I did. We had so many fond memories here." 

A flash of interest appeared in Bai Qing Mei's eyes as she silently observed the two's interactions. Her instincts as a dedicated manhua reader and notably less than dedicated manhua artist told her that there must've had been romantic entanglements between these two people at some point in time. 

Based on the context clues, Bai Qing Mei felt that there was a good chance that the goddess-like Han Lian Hua was either one of Xu Wen Han's former girlfriends or unrequited loves. 

Personally she thought that the situation would've been more entertaining if Han Lian Hua turned out to be Xu Wen Han's white moonlight or "the one that got away". After all, how dramatic would it be if his white moonlight caught him on a blind date with someone new in the same place they used to frequent? 

At this point, Han Lian Hua seemed to finally notice that there was someone else sitting with Xu Wen Han. She tilted her head inquisitively. "Xiao Han, this is?"

Xu Wen Han coughed. "Ah. Oh. This is—"

"Han Lian Hua? What are you doing here? How many times do I have to tell you to stay away from Han-ge before you'll get it, you two-faced hag?!" 

The pleasant smile on Han Lian Hua's face remained unchanging as she locked eyes with the gorgeously dressed young woman whom had suddenly stormed over. "It's nice to see you too, Xiao Fei. I'm glad to see you're still as lively as ever." 

Meanwhile, Xu Wen Han grimaced after stepping in front of Han Lian Hua to shield her like a loyal knight. "Fei Fei, I don't know why you're here but I won't allow you to speak to Lian Hua like that. Please apologize to her at once." 

Chu Fei Fei's face twisted up. "You want me to apologize to the likes of her? I'm the sole heiress of the Chu Corporation while she's just the bastard daughter of some measly and unimportant third-rate family! Forget an apology, someone like her isn't even worthy of polishing my shoes!" 

Bai Qing Mei whom had long been relegated to the role of a nameless spectator mouthed the word, "Wow" as her eyes darted back and forth between Xu Wen Han, Han Lian Hua, and Chu Fei Fei. 

First, there was the introduction of a powerful and good-looking man possessing male lead momentum. Then, there was a reunion with the white moonlight character whom may or may not have been two-faced. Now, there was the entry of a jealous heiress whom had all the makings of a vicious supporting lead? Although she had faintly hoped that things would become more amusing, she hadn't actually expected to bare witness to an impromptu live action adaptation of a clichéd romance manhua! 

From where he stood, Xu Wen Han's expression became impossibly dark. "Fei Fei!" 

Han Lian Hua stepped out from behind Xu Wen Han with slightly reddened eyes. "Xiao Fei, I know you have some misunderstandings about me but please, I implore you, don't insult my family!"

Just as Chu Fei Fei was about to retort, a petite figure rushed forward whilst madly waving a folder around in her outstretched hand. "Director Xu! Director Xu!" 

When Xu Wen Han saw the familiar bumbling appearance of his newly hired assistant, some of his anger dissipated and was instead replaced by perplexity. "Chen Xue Li, what are you doing here?" 

Chen Xue Li enthusiastically presented the folder in her hands to Xu Wen Han. "Director Xu, did you forget? On the phone you said you wanted me to bring you a revised copy of the report as soon as possible!" 

Xu Wen Han glanced at the sweat that dotted Chen Xue Li's forehead somewhat helplessly. "I didn't forget but I didn't think anyone would interpret that sentence so literally..."After saying this he reluctantly opened the folder and examined the report. Seconds later, he rubbed his eyes tiredly. "You made two spelling errors on the first page."  

Chen Xue Li's eyes went round. "R-Really?"

While Xu Wen Han and Chen Xue Li huddled close together to review the errors in the report, Bai Qing Mei couldn't help but reveal a meaningful smile. Adhering to the rules of clichéd romance manhuas then Chen Xue Li had the highest chances of being Xu Wen Han's female lead! Who didn't know that cute and clumsy girls were the treasures of the clichéd romance manhua universe? 

At this time, Bai Qing Mei finally remembered that two other potential rival characters for Xu Wen Han's affections were also present at the scene and curiously looked to see their reactions. 

Unsurprisingly, both women appeared to be uncomfortable though Han Lian Hua seemed to be better at hiding it than Chu Fei Fei as the latter eventually strode over and forcibly separated the two. "Alright. That's enough of whatever this is. Girl in the cheap office wear, you go on this side and Han-ge, you can go on this side, next to me." 

Instead of taking issue with how she had just been manhandled by a stranger, the innocent Chen Xue Li blankly looked down at her clothes. "Eh? Is this considered cheap office wear? It's the most expensive set of clothes I own..."

Chu Fei Fei stared at her with disgust. "Ugh. We get it. You're poor. You've never had custom tailored clothing. You likely don't even own any luxury brand goods or worse, you have knock-offs. Maybe you even have to take that dirty underground train to get around like those people I saw online. You're poor so your life is sad but unfortunately, I don't care." 

She haughtily crossed her arms. "What I do care about is the fact that you don't seem to know your place, peasant girl. I'm only going to tell you this once so listen carefully. I, Chu Fei Fei, am the only woman who can stand next to Xu Wen Han!" 

"Chu Fei Fei? Why does that name sound so familiar?" Chen Xue Li racked her brains before suddenly gasping in realization. "Oh! I remember now! You're that high and mighty miss that's rumoured to be Director Xu's fiancée! My colleagues have told me about you!" 

Han Lian Hua stiffened. "Xiao Han, you're engaged to Xiao Fei?" 

When she noticed Han Lian Hua, Chen Xue Li gasped again. "Oh! I know you too! You're that super pretty woman in that framed picture Director Xu keeps by his bedside table!" 

Chu Fei Fei began to breathe heavily while Han Lian Hua's gaze became penetrating. 

"You–You still keep a picture of her?!" 

"Have you been inside Xiao Han's bedroom, Miss Chen?" 

Seeing how her careless comments set off both Chu Fei Fei and Han Lian Hua, Bai Qing Mei wanted to stand up and give Chen Xue Li a big round of applause. As expected of someone she had suspected of being the female lead; in addition to being cute and clumsy, she was denser than a rock! 

In response to Han Lian Hua's question, Chen Xue Li nodded without much thought. "Oh yes. As Director Xu's assistant I've naturally been inside his bedroom. How else would I care for him when he's drunk or sick? It's not convenient for me to help him change his clothes or wipe his body elsewhere." 

Chu Fei Fei's entire body trembled furiously. Every time she opened her mouth to say something it seemed like she got angrier. "You–You—You wretched little—TART!" To punctuate her point, Chu Fei Fei snatched a half-eaten fruit tart from the nearby table and threw it vehemently at Chen Xue Li. 

Caught by surprise, the fruit tart struck Chen Xue Li square in the face and splattered in every direction—including Han Lian Hua's. 

As mushy chunks of fruit slid down her forehead and cheeks, Han Lian Hua's expression was unimaginably awful but only for a moment as she soon regained her usual smile when she spotted a waiter passing by with a large dessert bowl filled to the brim with assorted scoops of gelato. 

When Bai Qing Mei saw Han Lian Hua's hands reach for the dessert bowl, she had a guess to what she intended to do; consequently, she swiftly grabbed her purse and slipped behind a row of potted plants several meters away. 

In the next instance, she and all the other diners whose attention had been attracted by the commotion heard Han Lian Hua sweetly say, "You seem to be a little heated, Xiao Fei. Why don't I help you cool off?" before she hurled the entire contents of the dessert bowl at Chu Fei Fei. 

Chu Fei Fei shrieked miserably. Between clenched teeth she squeezed out, "Han Lian Hua! Do you have a death wish?!" Then, not long after that she picked up a handful of tomato-sauced pasta and attempted to launch it at Han Lian Hua.

Having fully anticipated this attack, Han Lian Hua dodged with ease, causing the handful of pasta to land on an unsuspecting college student whom had been having a romantic lunch with her boyfriend. 

Livid on his girlfriend’s behalf, the boyfriend stood up, grabbed the pitcher that had been on their table, and mercilessly tossed a pitcher full of sangria in Han Lian Hua's direction. 

Yet, just when everyone thought Han Lian Hua would be drenched, Xu Wen Han heroically dove in front of her and blocked the stream of sangria with his body. 

A few onlookers audibly gasped while Han Lian Hua’s bottom lip quivered as she took in the rarely seen sorry appearance of Xu Wen Han. "X-Xiao Han..."

Xu Wen Han pushed his wet hair aside before turning to look at her deeply. "I missed the chance to protect you before but I won't be late to saving you in the future." 

No sooner had he finished speaking than did a gloomy voice sounded out. "Sir, may I ask if your definition of saving people includes paying for the disruptions they caused to our humble restaurant?"

The untimely arrival of the restaurant manager effectively ruined the ambiguous atmosphere that had enveloped Han Lian Hua and Xu Wen Han and pulled the onlookers back to reality. 

A short while later, the restaurant manager escorted Xu Wen Han, Han Lian Hua, Chu Fei Fei, Chen Xue Li, and the college couple to his office. 

As soon as their figures could no longer be seen, Bai Qing Mei popped out from her hiding spot and inadvertently frightened a group of waitresses, one of whom dropped their phones. 

"I'm so sorry! I didn't realize anyone was there..." Bai Qing Mei's words trailed off as she leaned over to pick up the waitress' fallen phone only to see that other's camera had been in the middle of recording. "Wait, were you filming all of that just now?" 

When she raised her head she belatedly noticed that all of the waitresses seemed to be fiddling with their phones suspiciously. "Were all of you filming?" 

The waitresses exchanged furtive glances. "Please don't tell our manager about this, miss!" 

Bai Qing Mei blinked. No wonder she had felt that the restaurant staff had been slow to intervene, they had all been merrily filming from the sidelines! 

"Miss? You won't tell right? If the manager catches us slacking off again, he’ll fire for us for sure!” 

Unexpectedly, the latter half of this sentence gave Bai Qing Mei a brilliant idea. With a faint smile she replied, "Don't worry. I won't tell. However, in return, please send me a copy of all the videos you took."

1