Act One, Reunion
89 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Change is painful, but nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don't belong."
Mandy Hale

"His Imperial Majesty the Emperor and Her Imperial Majesty the Empress have arrived!"

Like a rehearsed play, everyone within the hall, whether it be the high nobles of the capital or the dirt-poor knights of the countryside, bent to one knee with their right arm beating their chest. 

"We welcome Their Imperial Majesties!"

Only a few individuals were exempt from the zealous display, such as Kaine, dukes of the Empire and important foreign dignitaries. Simply bowing courteously, it was a sign of respect from them as men and women only a few steps below in power from the monarch. 

Clad in opulent robes, Emperor Julius undulated indistinct ripples of power that gave the impression that he was weak and feeble. Middle-aged, one could see time etched in his face and the strands of grey hair hidden among his great platinum silver mane. Even so, his steps were steady and his back was unbendingly straight, a phoenix rebirthing over and over again within his aureate eyes. It created a strange, clashing image that some couldn't figure out, but Cordelia and Walker had done so long ago.

'Old fox. Sly bugger.'

Beneath those wrinkles was the wiliest fox Walker had ever seen. Even he himself couldn't compare to the scheming of Emperor Julius, who had held tight on to his blood-stained throne for almost two centuries. It may reflect light flawlessly now as if brand new, but Walker felt like he could visualise splatters of crimson all over its regality. The number of lives reaped by Emperor Julius would remain unknown to him forever.

Even if humans could extend their lifespan by constantly refining their body's mana, time was an unrelenting and continual beast that kept on moving, regardless of anyone or anything else. With enough time, even the most magnificent and grand temple will fall... Emperor Julius was no exception.

Beside him, a celestial maiden glided across the cardinal red carpet, brocades of heavenly fabric trailing behind her. Simply looking at her made one feel relaxed. She looked more like Julius' daughter rather than his wife, with the brightness of her artificial youth encapsulating her entire being. Even so, it didn't detract how her aura melded and balanced precariously with her significant other's. They were the perfect pair. Her name was Shana Asteria Escadar, a woman born from one of the nobles lineages in the land. 

"Rise, my vassals. I am glad that you could all attend today."

One by one, the crowd rose. They parted for the Imperial couple to walk towards their throne where they now stood. The Emperor and Empress slowly twisted around, their garments twirling with them. In a booming voice, Julius raised his hands and yelled:

"Let the party commence!"

"Cordi, it's been such a long time! We should catch up!"

Eloise immediately pounced on her old childhood friend, who looked conflicted as she glanced at the girl latched onto her right arm. Walker smiled.

"Go on, Cordelia. You don't have many opportunities to socialise with people your age these days."

He gave her a not-so-obvious push, only emboldening Eloise to further whine and beg. Eventually, she couldn't handle it anymore.

"Alright. Let's move over there."

Right now, the trio was stationed right in the middle of the hall and near the edges of the dance floor situated in front of the thrones. It was a position that screamed for attention and Eloise's intimate acts attracted everybody's eyes. Hence, Cordelia suggested moving to a discreet corner of the hall.

"Yeah!"

The person herself didn't mind though. As they were on their way, Walker separated from the group, spouting his apologies and reason.

'Using some excuse like 'oh, I need to catch up with some old friends' is really...'

"Cordi, my parents also want to see you again. Wanna talk to them later?"

Her terribly informal speech was the same as it was years ago; Cordelia couldn't imagine how Eloise managed to survive under Marchioness Newhtam's strict teachings. How were they? Did they mourn...? Were they angry at her for not contacting them anymore?

"Cordi?"

She flicked her eyes to Eloise's worried countenance and shook her head.

"It's fine. I can talk with the Marquess and Marchioness later."

"Yay! Let me tell you, after that day Father was really..."

Time flew by as Cordelia's harsh eyes grew softer and softer, occasionally humming and nodding in agreement. Other nobles refrained from interrupting, intimidated by her dramatic entrance. From the side, Walker sipped some water as he watched his sibling enjoy herself; only he was able to see the rare appearance of her relaxed posture. Her resolve had weakened over the years, though it was inevitable. She was not an undead, unfeeling and endlessly fixated. She was human. 

'Human, huh.'

He believed that she was human in every way. Unfortunately, the person in question did not believe so.

Life was fleeting and years could turn into seconds when one considered the lengths of time that they could live. The wonders of the world allowed people to extend their lives beyond the mortal realm, crossing into the next era while still stuck in the previous one. The world was filled with these thousand-year-old monsters, their minds already warped beyond repair. 

Emperor Julius, despite only living for a fraction of that time, felt that his end was nigh. Humans were not made to withstand the tests of time for so long, lest they go insane. He was the same. He had lost the flame that had ignited his ambition long ago; all that was left was a desire to protect the Empire and forge its future. 

Beside him, Shana softly held his hand. They sat silently, overlooking the crowd from which the Empire was built. He wanted to retire, to retreat into the mountains with his wife. All those years ago, when he set his sights on the throne, Julius had never imagined that he would become like this. Friends had come and gone, perhaps in battle, from natural causes or from his own hand. Generations passed. He was now soaked to the knees in blood.

But, he still had a debt to pay off.

"Hmm..."

His wife's palm gripped slightly harder, questioning him.

"...he should be arriving now."

"?.."

"His Highness the Second Prince has arrived!"

Julius impassively observed the stunned crowd as his younger son imperiously entered the hall. Only a few traces of baby fat remained, making his facial features sharper. Slimmer. Mature. The Imperial Family's trademark silver hair and gilded irises certified his identity, directly contrasting towards his half-brother's copper locks and azure eyes.

'He has matured.'

Unbeknownst to many, the young prince had gone around the country, helping to manage different towns, cities and fiefdoms. He had been disguised as an official from the Imperial Court, sent to aid ruling lords. Those years of experience and work had shaped the once naive boy into what he was today. The Emperor was satisfied.

'Bastard...!'

Kaine's pupils trembled as a vein popped on his forehead. It lasted for all but a moment. He returned to his calm appearance, restraining the fury and frustration within. All that was left was calculation.

From a distance, Cordelia stilled as her friend exclaimed in joy.

"Look, Cordi! Arty is here! Hehehe, we're all being reunited after so many years..."

Once upon a time, there was a trio of troublemakers who roamed the forest, town and rivers to leave their mark on their admittedly small world. The three of them? They were inseparable. A triad of young kids, full of dreams and energy, free to explore their surroundings. 

Cordelia did not forget those days. Beside her, Eloise sniffed as a few tears slipped out of her eyes. 

"Imperial Father, Imperial Mother, I apologise for arriving late. My incompetence has impacted Imperial Father's birthday. Please punish me if you wish."

On a knee, Arthur confessed his sin and awaited his penalty. Sitting before him were his parents, who coldly observed him. The tension was high in the air as he waited for an answer, finally dispersing when Julius opened his mouth.

"I was aware of your difficulties, my son. Your tardiness this time is of no consequence to me; do not worry."

"Many thanks, Imperial Father. I will strive to improve myself so that this will not happen again."

The Second Prince's reintroduction into society was explosive. In an instant, his party formed a crowd around him as they conversed seriously; it was obvious that they had been in contact for a long time, long after Arthur vanished. In response, Kaine's own subordinates held their own impromptu discussion, only serving to grate at Kaine's nerves. 

"Hmph, looks like Arty became spunky huh? Not even bothering to talk to us after so long!"

Eloise sounded like she was whining, but Cordelia could tell that she was only trying to hide her elation at their very coincidental reunion today. It seemed as if everything was going well.

That nothing could go wrong. 

There was another reason why Cordelia had brought her sword today. Her authority as 'Great Protector' didn't mean she was obligated to carry a weapon on her person at all events. Recent intel from the Imperial Palace as well as her own intelligence division suggested that other countries were going to stage an attack on the Emperor's birthday party. 

'That can't do.'

This information had arrived too late and it was impossible to rescind invites for those suspected to be spies. Thus, they could only deal with it during the party. Cordelia, who had taken a key role in organising the party's defence beforehand, was careful not to alert the intruders of their revelation; it was part of their strategy to swiftly subdue any assassins before any incidents could occur.

Immaculate coordination by trained servants and maids allowed for the dissemination of spiked drinks, beverages and dishes to the suspects. It was a complicated operation that she and others had stewed up. Within 4 hours, long after the party would end, they would experience intense nausea before falling unconscious. If all went well, the spies would be swept under the rug without another soul in the know.

Of course, that was assuming that they didn't make a move during the party.

2 hours in, Arthur was finally able to settle all urgent matters with his group. Swivelling his head to a distant corner of the hall, the prince's eyes locked with Cordelia's. 

'Should I walk over to her?'

He glanced at his half-brother who was conversing with his confidantes. To his surprise, she took the initiative as she dragged Eloise along. Nostalgia filled him as their figures overlapped with the bumbling girls years ago. They were taller. More mature and charming. He had heard enough to know that Cordelia was no longer the same Cordelia back then. Even Eloise had changed in some way, however minute it was.

Even so, he wouldn't complain on their day of reunion.


1833 words
Written 9/12/20 (DD/MM/YY)

Hello there! It's been a long time. I apologise for my sudden disappearance, especially since I left no explanation. I'll explain now, I guess, for the few people that will read up to this chapter.

I got sidetracked by exams at first, bogged down by revision and studying. Once those were over, I threw myself into gacha games which was basically a part-time job in of itself. Even now, I spend hours every day playing gacha games. As a result, I forgot about VDD. It was my mistake. Once again, I fully apologise.

Updates will be coming back, though they'll be delayed. I've been procrastinating everything in my life due to gacha games and I know it's unhealthy but... I can't stop.

Merry late Christmas and have a Happy New Year! Consider this my very late Christmas present to you.

5