Chapter 14- Premonition of a Journey
1.6k 7 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I awoke the next day to the usual bell ringing by one of the Royal Maids, with it this time being Elvira. I made a mental note to remind them that next time, not to do that and instead, simply shake me awake. It's not pleasant having a bell continuously rung in your ear when you're waking up. I didn't know how royalty dealt with it in fairytale stories.

Upon me sluggishly removing the covers from myself and sitting up, she ceased ringing the bell and smiled. "Good morning, Princess."

I yawned and cleared the white hair blocking my vision before returning the greeting. I looked past her and noticed that the other four maids were also with us, standing by the door in line with each other, all wearing the same merry smile. I wondered what the special occasion was until the realization hit me like a truck.

"The Academy.....great."

"Are you ready for your first day?" 

"No." I replied bluntly, now fully awake.

"Well, first-day jitters are expected. Come now, let's not delay."

She guided me out of the bed, and we entered the hallway, tailed by the others.

"Ah, I wish we went to school. The idea of it sounds so exciting!" Mellisa dreamed as we were heading towards the bath. "Meeting new people, studying together and grabbing lunch afterward, everything sounds so lovely. Wouldn't you agree, Aurora?"

Aurora replied with her usual head nods paired with her silent smile. It was clear she was thinking the same thing.

"I agree," Astrid chimed in. "School does seem interesting. You get to learn new things each day and improve your skills in tow with others. Though I imagine it must be challenging-"

" Hey Princess, you think you'll find a boyfriend there?" Mellisa interrupted.

I immediately stopped dead in my tracks, my face flushed with a red tint.

"Ah, sorry."

"Now Mellisa, the Princess isn't going to the Academy to goof off and play around with boys." Iris started to scold while adjusting her glasses. "She's going there to enrich her knowledge and deepen her understanding of the world's concepts, all while holding herself to the expectations of how a princess should act."

"Buzzkill." Mellisa muttered under her breath, though not low enough.

"Excuse me?"

"N-Nothing Ms. Iris."

We continued down the hall until we arrived at the doors leading to the washroom where I split from them and entered alone. Upon entering I noticed that the rail off to the side was carrying what appeared to be a uniform. Disgusted, I quickly looked away, stripped, and slid the door leading to the enormous bath which I still considered more of a lake than an actual bath. I slipped myself inside the bath and sighed.

School. A place where I couldn't hide and be to myself. I knew that I'd be forced to interact with others and the idea of it make me sick. Me being the princess only made matters worse. It's bad enough going but since I'm a person of high status, unwanted attention would most likely fall onto me throughout the day, and I'd probably be singled out most of the time to be an example for others to follow.

"How the hell am I going to get out of this one?"

I sat in the bath motionless, trying to come up with anything that could stop me from going to hell on whatever this planet was called. After some time, I reached a conclusion.

“I've got nothing.”

I was going to have to suck it up and face school in this world head-on. If I couldn't get through something as simple as that, then there was no way I was going to be able to fulfill my promise to Yukina and I've already decided that I was going to see that through no matter what.

I stood up, exited the bath, and returned to the washroom, where I dried myself off. I nauseously glared at the unsightly uniform before I slipped it on. The tops were a simple white long-sleeved shirt layered with a black vest and the bottoms were a black skirt and white knee-high socks, paired with black bottoms for the shoes. I checked myself in the mirror and surprisingly didn't throw up. I would've looked like a normal schoolgirl if it weren't for the two sharp purple horns protruding from my head although I've gotten pretty used to them being there.

After exiting the washroom, I started back towards my room. I was supposed to head to the dining hall for breakfast where Elvira and the others were waiting for me, but I wanted a little time to gather myself. I opened the door to my room expecting it to be empty but there I saw Elvira gazing out the window. She must've heard when I opened the door since she turned and faced me.

"Princess, you aren't going to have something to eat before you leave?" Elvira asked. "The others are waiting for you."

"No, that's not it, I just.....wanted some time to myself that's all."

"I see, should I leave then?"

"No." I quickly replied. "Actually, could you stay here with me?"

Whenever Elvira was around, I felt at ease. This had been true ever since I fell in my room and met her. Although I couldn't recall any memories of our interactions beyond the past two days I've been in this world, I knew that she and Yukina had a special connection, one different from the other maids, and it was comforting.

Elvira smiled. "Of course. And while we're here, we ought to take care of that hair of yours, Princess. "

"My hair?"

I hadn't noticed but I had a mean case of bed head. My ivory hair was stretching in all sorts of directions. I must've forgotten to style and comb it maybe because I stopped taking care of the hair I had in the world previous to this one.

We headed towards the dresser and mirror where I took a seat on the stool, while Elvira grabbed a comb and stood behind me. She started to comb through my hair and while she did that, I closed my eyes, enjoying her presence. With just her being there, the nervousness I had about the Academy, the doubts I had about my ability to help Yukina, and the uncertainties about my life in this world started to erase themselves from my mind, at least for the time being. Elvira gave off the same parental feeling as the King. I assumed that she was the one who after the Queen's death, stepped up and gave Yukina a motherly presence. I had forgotten what it felt like. I couldn't remember the last time my mother made me feel like this. It didn't matter to me if whether what I was feeling was Yukina's feelings toward Elvira or my own. 

"You know Princess," She started. "You've grown so much since my teenage self first met you. I can't believe that the once frail little princess has grown into a lovely young lady like yourself. Your mother...."

Her comb strokes started to slow and her tone started to fill with gloom.

"Your mother would have been so proud of you, Princess."

While my eyes weren't on Elvira, I knew what kind of face she wore as she spoke. A face of sadness, the same type of expression Yukina told me she experienced around her growing up in the castle. Being the fault of everyone's unhappiness must've motivated her even greater to figure out a way to bring the Queen back. I also felt the same. I was determined to fulfill the promise I made to Yukina not just for her, but for everyone around her as well.

I softly grabbed her free hand that was resting on my shoulder to show that I appreciated what she was saying.

"Yukina, Elvira, and everyone, I promise I'll do my best."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Spirits (aside from myself) were high at breakfast. While the Royal Maids were serving the King and me, they all wore cheerful expressions, even Iris whom I thought never smiled.

The King looked the same as always, frizzled midnight blue hair and a youthful face beneath it. Paired with his robe and slippers, he always seemed like he was in relaxation mode, and I liked that about him.

"Ah, my daughter is growing up on me," he complained at the table, though I could tell he wasn't all that upset. "I remember when you were just a little girl and you would cry out "Papa! Papa!" and I would pick you up and swing you around. Do you think we could do it once more before you leave?"

"Absolute not." I refuted while almost choking on an egg in embarrassment. "Not a chance."

"Of course." he sighed heavily. "Elvira, do you see this? She’s entering that "rebellious" stage that you mentioned earlier."

"Well, my King, she is at that age where she'd start to want some independence."

"Independence? I'm her father! Why would she want to be independent of me?!"

"Well, now your Majesty," Mellissa started as she set a plate of fresh loaves on the table and circled me, grabbing my shoulders. "Us girls need personal time for ourselves; it's something guys can't understand, isn't that right, Princess?"

"Couldn't have said it better myself." 

".....It can't be helped then." He murmured defeatedly. "Though, just like any other parent would be, I'm proud. I expect great things from you Yukina, not because you're the Princess, but because you're my daughter."

"I'll do my best, Father."

We finished up in the hall and It was time for me to leave shortly after. The Royal Maids escorted me out of the castle and out into the courtyard where Akano was already waiting for me. She was wearing more or less the same thing as myself. Though in addition to the uniform, the purple scabbard that seemed to never leave her side was fastened to her hip, and the Association's golden pendant dangled from her neck. She seemed more collected than she was the day before, her gray eyes displaying calmness and her expression completely still.

"Today's the day huh?" She asked while we left the courtyard and headed into the town.

"Unfortunately." I sighed. "I don't know how I'm going to get through it."

"It won't be too bad, well for me anyway. I wish I could say the same for you but, you are the Princess you know. I would expect some attention if I were you."

"Yeah....."

That was one of the leading reasons I didn't want to go to the Academy. Someone of high status would always draw looks and be a topic of discussion for others, especially in a gossip-high environment like a school. I was well respected at school back in the other world I used to live in but I wasn't exactly popular. Handling stuff like that would be new and troublesome to me.

"I'll be by your side for most of the time though," Akano reassured. "So don't worry too much about it. If anyone gives you any trouble," She tapped the sword casing on her hip. "I'll be sure to give them a scare."

Some returning of the townspeople greetings and paces later, we arrived at our destination, The Academy. It looked exactly like how I thought a magic school would look in a world with magic as if it was pulled straight from a fantasy world. Rather than a high school, it appeared more like a university. The campus was vast, filled with medieval-looking buildings and other various structures. It seemed like Akano and I arrived slightly later than the other students since there was a hoard of them ahead of us all heading to what I assumed was the main building.

As Akano and I joined in the swarm, the looks and murmurs began. I tried to ignore them, but it proved difficult when tens of dozens of strangers are eyeing you and mentioning your name in conversations that can be heard from some ways away. Those who came too close to me were met with a violent glare from Akano, which was silent but effective in getting curious students to keep their distance.

We eventually made our way with the other students into an auditorium setting, which consisted of enough seats to fill the entire student body which appeared to be a little over five or six hundred. We were met by the chancellor of the academy who gave a speech that I was paying absolutely no attention to until he dropped my name right in the middle of it that sent at least a thousand eyes in my direction which led to me shrinking in my seat.

Afterward, everyone filed out and headed to their scheduled courses for the day. Apparently, there were two tracks for the academy. One that was guided by the professors and another one that I considered a godsend, self-study. To be admitted for the self-study track, you'd have to pass rigorous exams that almost no one passed on the material that was being covered before the Academy even began and by her grace, Yukina had done just that. This meant I didn't have to attend any lectures at all and just had to be present on the campus. Yukina most likely didn't want to waste her time sitting through sessions for which she already knew the material and instead spend that time trying to figure out a way to help the Queen. Akano on the other hand wasn't able to test out of the regular courses and after a heated protest with heads of the Academy, gave up and separated from me, sticking to her courses. As for myself, I quickly found out where the library was and wasted no time getting there.

Before I could begin with ways to revive the Queen, I decided that I needed to do some catching up on the world I arrived in. I knew next to nothing about anything pertaining to it and that needed to change if I were going to help Yukina, and what better place has information than the library. I had planned to visit after classes were over but since I had the entire day to myself, I was able to use the daytime. I went amongst the shelves grabbing as many books as I could find about the world, ranging from simple geography to its various past affairs. I'm sure I looked silly cradling at least a dozen books in my arms but the library was empty aside from some staff members, so I didn't care. I found a corner, tied my hair back, and dived into the pile of books that were amassed onto the table. Before I knew it, I had finished the pile in a matter of hours. I didn't know whether it was Yukina's study habits or my past own that allowed me to get through them quickly but I didn't question it. I exchanged the pile for another and repeated until the day was over, signaled by a bell tone that rang across the entire campus. I cleaned up, left the library, and headed to where the spot Akano said we would meet where we departed back to the castle.

And for a month, that's how things were. The Academy wasn't as bad as I made it out to be but instead, proved helpful with the knowledge I gained from going there. On the days I didn't go to Academy, I spent them practicing magic with Akano or spent time in the Castle's own library, which texts contained slightly more content than the Academy's own provided. However, I made little to no progress on the matter of reviving the Queen. There wasn't anything relevant to bringing back the dead anywhere I looked. I was stuck. Yes, I was, until a certain evening in the dining hall sparked hope.

---------------------------------

At dinner, everything was normal. I was eating with the King and the Royal Maids were performing their duties as they usually do. Elvira in particular was giving the King a rundown of his schedule and matters that needed to be attended to. There was more of this happening lately. About two weeks after the Academy began, more and more matters began to arise that the King needed to deal with and it seemed to be getting to him. I can't say he was stressed but, I could sense discomfort stemming from him.

Elvira was closing with her remarks when she mentioned something that caught me so off guard I nearly suffocated on the rice and beans.

"Oh, and the Prince and Princess will be returning from their voyages tomorrow in the afternoon."

"Prince and Princess? I.....have siblings?"

I had no clue that I wasn't an only child. There wasn't anything around me to disprove my initial thought of my being so. Granted I never went around the castle searching all the other rooms looking to see if someone else aside from the King and Royal Maids lived with me but from the month I've been here, there was no mention of them. Yukina herself didn't even mention them to me though I suppose it was because she had no memory of them since I had no memory of them.

"Is that so?" The king adjusted himself in his seat, revitalized with new energy. "Has it been a year already? Well, hopefully, things went as smooth as we need them to be."

-----------------------------------

"Yuki, is your mind on something?" Akano asked as we were heading to the Academy the next day. She must've seen me spaced out. I couldn't deny that my forgotten siblings were on my mind. They have been since I found out about them. I told her about how they were returning in the afternoon and her expression stiffened. "Well, I hope everything went well." Was her only response.

When I returned from the Academy, I went straight to the library and immersed myself in it. I was anxious and I've gotten used to the calm atmosphere the library provided so studying there gave me slight comfort. My brother in my past world wasn't exactly the greatest and it was getting to me. Akano's expression when I told her they were coming back wasn't the best either. I was nervous that they wouldn't be as kind as the others.

A couple of hours later, there was a knock on the doors of the library and Astrid emerged from behind it, informing me that they have returned. I followed her down the stairs and into the main hall where I could make out from a distance the King and two other figures talking to him. Before I could even approach them, one of the figures saw me, exclaimed my name and dashed towards me. As if my body knew that was going to happen, my body instinctively stepped to the side, sending him flying past me and into a nearby pillar.

"Still elusive as ever, dear sister of mine." He groaned, patting his armor off, collecting himself. When he stood up and faced me, I was able to get a better look at him. He looked extremely similar to the King, donning the same tall structure and darkish blue hair. "Yukina, you haven't missed me?! It's been a year?!" He cried out.

"That's not it, Taron...." I replied, his name snapping instantly into my mind.

"He's been muttering your name ever since we arrived back in Eirad." The other armored figure spoke as she stepped past the King and headed towards Astrid and me. "I found it truly annoying." Surprisingly, she was just as tall as Taron, who appeared at least six and a half feet tall. She removed her helmet which revealed the same midnight blue hair and black irises that both the King and Taron carried and handed it to Astrid. "Yukina, have you been well?" She asked, towering over me.

"I have," I meekly answered. "Welcome back.....Torin"

"Good." She turned back towards the King. "Taron and I both bring back the results of our assignments, though it would be nice to get out of this clunk and enjoy a nice bath. "Comfortable", wouldn't best describe the ones in the Dwarven Kingdom.

"Of course, I'll be waiting in the Throne Room, along with Zathron. He's been here for a while."

"He'll be present as well?" Taron frowned. "Well, I guess it's natural for him to be here, but I can't say I enjoy the man's company."

"That's one thing we can agree on Brother," Torin remarked as she headed up the stairs with a scowl on her face. "I'll be sure to take my time then."

Afterward, I headed back to my room and had planned to call it night. Taron and Torin to my glee were just like the King. Even though they were about five or six years my elder, they were kind and seemed like a pair of siblings anyone would want, a brother who dotes a little too hard and a sister who exuded aptitude and prestige. However, after about half an hour, I couldn't seem to fall asleep so I decided that I would listen in to what my siblings were informing the King. I kind of wanted to see more of them anyway. I headed towards the Throne Room. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to be listening in or not so instead of entering, I peered through a sizeable crack in the opening between the double doors and observed. They were some fifty feet away in front of the King who was sitting on his throne but I could make out Torin and Taron from their figures and hear them pretty well for the amount of distance between us. There was a third figure whom I couldn't make out however.

" That must be Zathron"

The name sounded familiar to me, but I couldn't remember anything past it. I shook it off and listened in...

"Father, I'll be blunt with you." Torin started. "An alliance with the Dwarfs doesn't seem plausible. During the year I spent there from what I determined, they would be more a hindrance than an aid."

"Is that the case?" The King asked, his tone not hiding disappointment.

"Unfortunately. For starters, their leaders; although not completely refuting the idea of a partnership, weren't ecstatic for one either. I find it unreasonably to force one when a side isn't completely committed. In addition, their technology is severely underdeveloped as well as their soldiers. My forces alone would probably give them a run for their money. I can't imagine how much help they would be honestly. Military matters aside, their people are going through a state of unrest as well. If we were to align with them, that would mean aiding them in that area of concern and I don't think that would be in our best interests."

"It can't be helped." The King sighed. "I don't want to give up on them just yet but as you say it doesn't seem promising." His attention shifted to the prince. "What about you, Taron? How did the idea of a collaboration fare with the Fairy Empire?"

"I'm afraid it's even worse with them," Taron admitted. "Their heads completely rejected the notion of one. While the talks lasted throughout the year, it felt as if we were walking in circles before it finally went flat. I find it strange, Father. As one of the two major superpowers in Mystic Realm, smaller lands such as the Dwarfs, the Faires, and the like shouldn't oppose an idea of an alliance with us but rather would do good to welcome it with open arms. I fear something is amiss."

"Are you suggesting we're being blacklisted?"

"...There may be a possibility."

"I'm sorry, Father." Torin apologized. "I know how much you wanted this to work out, especially since these lands directly border our own. But it seems that we are on our own, just as we always have been."

The King rested his left hand onto his temple and remained in that position. The air suddenly felt heavy and a wave of frustration filled it. A sharp chill ran down my spine while goosebumps spontaneously erupted on my skin. It was clear as day that it was coming from the King. I could only imagine what the sensation would've been if I was closer to him rather than where I was standing. It felt menacing. I never expected someone as lighthearted as the King to have this side of him. Then again, he was the King of Demons.

Taron and Torin knew well not to say anything so they remained silent. However, Zathron broke the silence.

"There you have it, my King. While your efforts may have been in good faith, they amounted to nothing, just as I predicted they would have a year ago when you suggested the unrealistic idea of an alliance with the lower lands. I'm glad you now understand that it was a complete and utter waste of time."

"Zathron!" Torin shouted, her voice stern. "You mind your tongue when addressing the King! How dare you-"

The King raised his hand and although Torin protested silently, ended her outburst.

"Zathron isn't incorrect." He admitted. " The idea of an alliance was a long shot, a shot that just didn't hit the mark."

"A long shot indeed," Zathron added. "That time could've been spent elsewhere. While you sent the Generals away trying to forge an agreement with the nations that we could easily step on, my Association's Intelligence has reported that the Humans have conquered yet another section of the other realm, resulting in them having control of the Lower and Middle sections left of the Great Divide, leaving only the Upper which will fall sooner or later. It'd be wise for us to do the same and conquer the smaller nations that border us-"

"No," The King replied sternly. "We won't be doing any of that, Zathron."

"Of course, we won't." Zathron mocked. "Instead, we'll wait until the Humans cross the divide and take them for themselves, leaving us surrounded by nothing but enemies." He turned around and headed for the doors of the Throne Room. " It is of no matter however," He added while his back was still turned. "The Association and its Warriors will prepare for the inevitable under my discretion." He paused and faced the King. "We are Demons. That's enough for lands to avoid any affiliation with us. That is reality. How long will you be blinded by your ideals of peace? Only when it is too late is when you'll see clearly how the world truly is. Now if you would excuse me, my King and Generals. " 

He once again headed toward the doors of the Throne Room and I knew I had to get out of the way in an attempt not to get caught eavesdropping, but I panicked, and  was able to only avoid getting hit by the doors as he pushed them open.

"Yukina..."

I couldn't tell what he looked like when I was observing him while he was in the Throne Room, but now that I was up close, I saw what he really looked like and I couldn't believe it.

"He looks like....me?"

From under the cloak he wore, though it was barely visible, I could see that we both shared a skin color that was paler than others. His hair, which draped down past his hood was similar in the same regard, colorless. Even our eyes almost matched, his red ones partially hidden behind his polished silver monocles, dulled, but still bearing an uncanny resemblance to my own. I knew instantly that we were related.

"Yukina, I didn't know you were there, forgive me. How have you faired? Are you well?"

I nodded my head.

"That's good to hear. I've heard you started your schooling. As it is a big moment in any person's life, I'm sure my sister would've been extremely proud." He shot a glance at the others in the Throne Room before turning back around. "I must be going now. Please, do take care. And remember, you're always welcome to visit." 

I gave another courteous nod and with that, he left out the castle. 

"Yukina, is that you?" I heard the King call out from within the room. I responded and entered, apologizing for my curiosity and eavesdropping though he said he didn't mind and was actually delighted that I was interested in the Kingdom's matters. 

The atmosphere in the room wasn't exactly great though and from what I overheard there wasn't a reason to be cheerful. The faces of my family showed that well enough. 

"Father that man is dangerous," Taron warned. "Especially with the power he holds in this Kingdom. Sooner or later, he will go rouge and proceed against the current agenda you've set."

"Taron speaks the truth, Father." Torin agreed. "Zathron is unpredictable and war-driven, he and his so-called Association. A man like that shouldn't have power that nearly rivals your own. The Association has grown far too strong in the past years and cemented themselves as a true body of influence in this kingdom, using whatever underhanded methods they have in place. I fear soon that he will have favor regardless of your status. It's best we shut them down while we still can, and I'll gladly be the one to handle it."

The King shook his head. "While it may be true that your uncle may be as spontaneous as they come, it is also true that without the Association, this kingdom wouldn't be as thriving as it is currently. He may be strong-handed but he isn't a fool. He won't do anything irrational. And besides, our faction and his own both want what's best for the Kingdom and its security. I'm sure we have a certain symbol of trust between us, don't we?"

They all turned their focus in my direction, and I was confused for a bit until I realized they were referring to Akano. The symbol was the assignment of Akano to be my attendant, showing the trust the King has in Zathron and his will.

Torin sighed. "If that's what you say, Father. Though, family be he may, I don't think I'll ever look forward to being in proximity with him ever. As for you Yukina," She started while scanning me. "Eavesdropping isn't something you should make a habit of. Return to your room."

I apologized again and did as she said. The following day wasn't a scheduled day for me to attend the Academy, so I headed towards the library as soon as I awoke to check something that had been bothering me since the previous night. To the west of the Demon Continent lied the Great Divide, an enormous body of water filled with constant storms and the likes that separated the Human filled side of the planet from the Mystic Realm, where everything else was. To the direct south and east were where the Dwarven and Fairy lands remained. However, to our direct north was the other superpower of the Mystic Realm, the Elves.

The Elves in many of the texts that I read were considered the progenitors of magic and all things related. So I wondered why didn't the King send either Taron or Torin to their land if he was looking for allies. It was only through hours combining through the library's material that I found the answer. The Elves were a recluse people. They haven't formed an alliance throughout their entire history. In fact, they had an impenetrable continent-spanning shield that separated them from the rest of the outside world that was lowered rarely temporarily throughout the years for trade reasons. However, this wasn't the big takeaway for me. According to documentation from the Association's Intelligence faction taken from past years, on the grounds of the Elven King's palace lay a place full of magical knowledge and research only accessible to their leaders, The Tree of Wisdom. If magic that was capable of helping and reviving the Queen was somewhere on this planet, it had to be there. I was overdue for some adventure in this world and the Tree of Wisdom seemed like the perfect place to start.

Sorry for the long chapter. It appears I have pacing issues. I think I'm going to try to stick around the 2000-2500 wordmark. Do favorite and leave a comment if you enjoyed it anyway.

49