Unexpected Surprises
1.6k 9 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eva opened the door to a man dressed in a black suit. He was of average height with brown hair. He wore a cheesy smile as he looked at us.

            “Excuse me, but you are Eva Banderfield, yes? The famous tailor who quit making clothes for Hollywood stars to start your own business?” The man asked. There was something very weird about how he was asking, considering that it was clearly posted outside.

            “I am, but you already know that. So why are you here? Business hours are over.” Eva said as she looked at him. I could not help but notice that her tail was coiling as they spoke.

            “Well, truth be told. I have been following the family that is in your residence for two days now.” He said as he looked at me. I guess it was not that much of a surprise that he was staring at me when I apparently made the news.

            “You see, my boss, Aaron Carver, and I were across the street from the police station in Kansas City when the wolf girl helped capture that guy who was blowing people up.” The man said.

            I could feel my dad staring at me even though I did not look at him. Great, just another thing for him and mom to get into it about when this was all over.

            `” Wait, Mr. Carver sent you.” My mom asked. Mr. Carver was mom’s boss. Why was he sent someone to follow us? It did not make any sense. Did he send the guy to harm us, or was he here to fire my mom?

            “Well, you see Karen; apparently, Mr. Carver has always had a dream of being the real Nick Fury. And with everything that has happened since that storm, in his eyes, it would seem appropriate.” He said, with a little joy in his voice as he spoke. I guess he was excited at the idea just as well.

“So, he what, wants to make a superhero organization based on a childhood fantasy from a comic book. And he wants my daughter to join him?” mom said. I could tell that she was getting aggravated. Although she was happy that I helped the cops earlier, I am sure she was not looking for me to do it daily.

“Well, in a word, yes. And with Mr. Carvers’ wealth and resources, he would make it worth your daughter and your family’s while.” He said grinning. “That is not all. He believes that we could show the world that Trump was wrong about the emerged with your daughters' help and her friends’ help. Although there is a new organization working on getting emergent rights, it has been a slow process.”

Sighing, mom looked at me. I knew what she was thinking, and I did not like it either, but he was right. People seeing emerged, helping people against those who use their gifts for wrongdoing could very well change people’s perspectives.

“That is not all, however. My boss would also like to employ you, Ms. Banderfield. After all, you are one of the most talked-about tailors in many years.” He said. I wondered just what he wanted to employ her for. I was not the only one, it seemed; Eva was now looking at him with curiosity.

“You see, just like in the comics, it is best for people to be able to hide their identity… well those who can. Some of you, it is going to be hard to do.” He said, looking at me, Esme and Ashley.

“Sir, I don’t think that I would be much help as a hero. I don’t really have any powers… other than apparently making wormholes.” Ashley said as she flew over and sat on Esme’s Thorax. It looked a little weird, but Esme did not seem to mind.

“Wormholes, huh. Are we talking to other worlds or like from place to place?” the man asked, obviously intrigued.

“From place to place, as far as I know, I only just discovered that I could do it. And it was just once, so who knows.” Ashley said before flying so that she was face to face with him. “And I don’t know you, so why it matters?” Ashley says, a little fire building in her voice.

“Well, miss, I only ask because something like that can be handy to many people. Especially if it is to save lives.” He says. Ashley seems to calm down when he mentions this. It all still seemed a little odd.

“Say that I agree with my boss's strange request. What exactly does this mean for the kids. After all, they are still just kids?” my mom askes. You could see the wheels working in her mind. “What about school and things like social lives.” She continued. That was just like mom. She always believed that I should be able to hang out with my friends. In fact, she kind of enforced it. This reminded me. I pulled out my phone and texted Erin.

Xephirsoul: Hey, Erin, are you there.

Fallen_Angel: Oh my god, Michael. I have been worried sick about you. Where have you been?

Xephirsoul: It is hard to explain over text, but when I get home, we need to talk.

Fallen_Angel: sounds good, but what do you mean when you get home? Where are you?

Xephirsoul: I went to one of my mom's friend’s houses. We came to visit my dad, and she asked mom to come to see her.

Fallen_Angel: Ah, okay. I am sure I do not have to tell you how things have been since that weird storm.

Xephirsoul: You have no idea.

As I put my phone away, I was brought back into the conversation at hand.

“Well, yes, Mr. Carver will be paying per job, but as they are still kids, I guess it will all go to a special bank account that only you can access.” The man said. I found it weird that no one had offered him to come inside after all this time. It had to look weird for him to be standing outside a door for this long, even by neighbor standards.

“Well, I will leave you all to think about it. I will be heading back to speak with Mr. Carver. Have a wonderful rest of your day.” He said before walking back to a black company car. Eva shut the door and turned to us.

“Well, that was an exciting conversation. So, your boss wants to make a fantasy superhero team. And he wants me to make costumes for everyone. Color me intrigued. “

“But they are still kids,” my dad said as he looked at my mom as if hoping for her to agree. In part, I think she wanted to.

“Look, Thomas, it is not like I disagree with you, but you know as well as I that he is right. With our daughter and the others acting like a superhero, it could make people see that not all emerged are evil. Do you want people constantly trying to kill our daughter because they think she is a monster?” mom asked.

“Well, of course, not Karen. But isn’t what that stone is for?” dad asked. He was talking about the necklace that Eva game me. Remembering it, I took it out of my pocket and put it back on, feeling the same sensation I felt the first time I changed.

“Well yes, she does have that stone but think of the others, look at Taylor, look at Ashley and the new girl. I am sure that Eva does not have enough for them. Even if she did, look at all the others who will be hunted down if we don’t do something.” Mom said, sighing as she sat on the couch closest to her.

After another hour of debating, it was time to head back to Dad's. Mom did not feel like driving all the way back home at this time of night, mostly when it was this close to dinner time. Getting into the van was very curious. Although everyone else fit fine, Esme was another story. Eventually, we had to let her in the back after putting the seats down. Ashley sat in Taylor's lap.

When we finally made it close to Clinton, both Ashley and Esme had the same reaction Taylor and I did when we first saw the floating island. After dad did his best to answer their question, they seemed satisfied with his answers. In a matter of minutes, we were finally home.

44