Going To Dads Pt. 2
1.9k 1 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Dinner was quiet as everyone focused on eating. This was normal with my parents. They believed that you should finish dinner before conversing. That way, everyone was able to complete their dinner in a timely fashion. One of my dad’s weakness was that he was very OCD about time. I sometimes think that that was one of the reasons they ended up getting a divorce. Mom announced that we would be staying the night at least. There was someone that mom wanted to go see in the morning.

After 2 movies and some random conversation, mom stated that it was time for everyone to go to bed. Dad showed Taylor to the guest bedroom, while Holly and I went to her room. She still had the bunk bed from when I would come to visit when I was younger before dad decided that having a place to myself was more important than having an office. I was not exactly tired, but I knew what would happen if I didn’t do what mom said. Sighing, I willed my wings to disappear and climbed into the top bunk. I heard Holly climb into her bed after turning off the light. It really felt like old times. After what seemed like hours, I felt my eyes grow heavy, then everything faded away.

The sound of battle echoed across the fields. The feeling of exhaustion weighing heavily on my battle-worn body. The smell of smoke and blood filled the air like a fragrance candle. On either side of me were my companions, all just as exhausted as I was. It was at this moment I saw her. A woman bathed in light, her 8 wings beautiful moving as she flew toward us. She was what you would picture to be a goddess.

“My child, you may not know me, but I have been waiting for you. The scene which you see before you is a glimpse of what is to come. Awaken your power and prepare yourself, for darkness is to awaken and bring war between both our worlds.” She said before touching my shoulder. At that moment, a warming feeling spread throughout my body, a sense of safety and peace. It was as if she was pulling all the pain and worry from my body. Then in the distance, darkness rose. It began to envelop everything in its path. I was about to protect the woman in front of me, she threw herself in front of the coming darkness. The blast sent me flying.

            The darkness came in close and covered the woman as it continues to come closer to me. I could make out a pair of red glowing eyes, but everything else was just a cloud of darkness.

            “So, you are the one I have been searching for a girl. I shall find you, and I shall rip the key from your body,” the darkness said as a hand made of dark cloud reached for me. I could feel my life begin to leave my body as I cried out in pain.

I awoke with a start. That dream felt so real. And who was the woman with the wings? And what did she mean by the coming battle and awakening my powers? As far as I knew, I only gained a wolf’s features while keeping a more human-like shape. It had to only be a dream; there was no way that it could have been a glimpse of what was to come. Looking at the digital clock, I realized it was only 2. Sighing, I rolled over and closed my eyes, hoping that I would not go back to that same dream. I felt my body begin to shut down again as my mind went blank

I awoke to the sound of the alarm clock going off. I guess it was time to get up. There were things that we were going to be doing today. It involved getting up at 7 in the morning. If I had not already mentioned, I am not a morning person. Climbing down, I realized that Holly was already out of bed. She had always been a morning person. I blame dad because he would always make 2 cups of coffee when he woke up, on for him and one for her. I guess that that was one thing that he missed with mom.

As I got dressed and opened the door to the room, the smell of breakfast hit me like a ton of bricks. For just a moment, I had forgotten that I now had a sensitive nose. The smell of eggs being cooked, the smell of bacon frying. It was as if I was sitting over the stove, cooking the food myself. I guess that Taylor heard me walking down the hall because before I could even turn the corner, she was right there smiling and waving.

“Good morning Angel, did you sleep well?” she asked cheerfully. Great another morning person. What was I going to do with all these happy morning faces when all I wanted to do was go back to bed? Mom was the next to pop her head around the corner. She waved with her spatula then went back into the kitchen. I guess she was too focused on cooking that she did not think about saying good morning or even hello.

“Morning “sis”” my sister said with air quotations. This would be an adjustment for her; I had been her big brother all her life. Dad looked up from his morning paper and smiled. He was never very talkative before he had his breakfast. I guess you could say breakfast was literally fuel for him. I chuckled to myself, only it did not come out a chuckle like when I was a boy. It was a giggle. That was twice now that I giggled. This was really going to take some getting used to.

“So, mom, who is this friend we are going to see?” I asked as I sat down at the table. I did not like surprises unless it was my birthday or Christmas. I know it sounds silly but knowing what I am getting for things like that really annoys me. Looking back at me, she gave a small smile but continued to cook breakfast.

 

 

“It’s a friend who, like you and Taylor, has emerged. But that is not why I am taking you to see her. She was a fashion designer before the Emergence. However, from what she told me yesterday, well, we will have to see for ourselves. “ mom said as she began serving breakfast. Taylor decided to take it upon herself to get her own plate, which awarded her a glare from my mom. Mom was never one to want help when it came to making food.

“I am quite capable of serving your food, missy,” my mom said, gently grasping the plate. Taylor reluctantly let go of the plate and sat back down. I could not help but crack a smile; she was so adorable. Nobody else said anything while mom served breakfast. Even Holly was busy in her own little world. It was one of those awkward moments where you want to say something, but you do not want to anger the people around you.

After breakfast, I helped mom with the dishes while Taylor and Holly went into the other room. I guess my sister had taken a liking to Taylor. Which was suitable for her right now, given the problems with her parents. Not to mention that her sister was still missing. I hoped that wherever her sister was, she was safe. I could only imagine how she would react if something happened to her sister. Once we finished the dishes, we headed into the living room. It was time to get ready to go to moms’ friends. We were about to head out the door when we heard gunshots and the sound of destruction outside.

 

46