Around town
682 0 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            The morning was quiet. Taylor and I had our cups of coffee, then took showers. Breakfast was just cereal. We didn’t have a lot of food after living at the tower for so long. After breakfast, we got into my car and headed out. It was a quiet morning because everyone was still in shock since that battle with the giant. It made getting through the city easy. There were shops open, of course, and the usual stores. The first stop on our trip was the furniture store. We needed a new bed.

            The furniture store was empty except for the manager and the cashier. Looking around, we saw some comfortable-looking beds. There were regular mattresses that made me twinge from knowing that they would be uncomfortable. Then there were some with pillow tops. I saw a couple of water beds, but I knew that that would be out of the question. Finally, Taylor and I decided on a pillow top. After paying for the Mattress, we scheduled for the drop off to be 4:30.

            The next place we went to was Walmart. We looked for some queen-sized bedding. Taylor pointed out some floral beddings while I looked at some bedding with weird designs. I had always loved abstract art, and the bedding that I saw would look amazing on our new bed. After not being able to decide on which one to get, we got both. That way, we would have some variety. We also got a vacuum and some essentials for the house. It was strange to be doing all of this by ourselves for the first time.

            By noon we were getting hungry. We drove around for a while until we found pulled into a subway. It wasn’t anything fancy, but we needed something to eat. Walking up to the counter, the girl behind it smiled. “Aww, you two are so cute!” she said. Then she blushed and covered her face. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say that.”

            I shook my head while Taylor laughed. “It’s fine. It isn’t the first time we have heard it, and I’m quite sure it won’t be the last.” Taylor said. She was so cute. I was still couldn’t believe that she was my girlfriend. The girl took our orders and then handed us our sandwiches. We found a clean table and sat down.

            “Well, half of what we had planned to do today is done. Have you heard anything from your dad?” Taylor asked as she opened her sandwich. I shook my head. It was strange that Doc dude let my dad go, but he said that he was his head researcher. I guess he wouldn’t want to get rid of his only link to the meaning in that altar. I opened my sandwich and started eating it. I pondered on what Mr. Carver was doing about Esme’s brother and Maddison. He told me to leave it to him, and he would contact me when he knew where they were.

            After lunch, we headed out to get applications. As much as I hated the thought, I would have to get a job before I finished school irritated me, but I didn’t have a choice. The school was still out for reconstruction, and we needed a way to pay the bills. I was glad that Taylor had agreed to help me. I guess you could say that this was the first significant step in our relationship. I suppose that I was lost in thought because Taylor pushed me a little.

            “Sorry, I was thinking about things that have happened. What were you saying.?” I asked, a little embarrassed that I was so focused on my thoughts. She shook her head and looked at me.

            “I said that we should try to get ahold of Esme and Ashley and see what they were up to. I am sure that they would love to know how you are doing, and maybe they have an update on what is going on with that Doc and his master.” Taylor said. She must have been reading my mind. Or perhaps she had her reasons for wanting to know what was going on besides worrying about her big sister. I nodded, then cleaned up our table before we headed back to the car. While we were getting in the car, she called Esme. It was hard for her sister to have a phone because they didn’t make one for her size yet. Perhaps with everything going on, they eventually would.

            When she got off the phone, she looked at me and sighed. “Ashley and Esme say hi. They also said that we should get together sometime and catch up in person. They haven’t heard from Mr. Carver since the night of the funeral. Ashley seems to think he is off the grid, searching for that secret research center.” Taylor said, putting her phone in the glove-box.

            After another hour of driving around and filling out applications, I was ready to go home. The entire day was exhausting. As we pulled into the driveway, dad’s car was already parked there. I guess he and Holly made an unannounced visit. Getting out of the vehicle, Taylor and I looked at each other curiously. Then the front door opened.

            “It’s about time you two got here. We had waited for over an hour and a half. Your bed was delivered. When were you going to tell me you were going to be staying here? I thought we agreed that you would live with me for now,” dad said in his normal annoyed tone. I knew it wouldn’t have been long before he came here and said something. It was a conversation I was trying to avoid. I didn’t want him thinking I was ungrateful for his offer. I just felt closer to mom when I was here. Holly just stood there grinning. She always enjoyed it when I got yelled at. That’s a little sister for you.

            “It is where I feel at home, dad. Not that your house isn’t home, but this is where I grew up. This is where my friends are. Plus, mom left the house to me.” I said before he could go on another rant. I loved my dad, but he didn’t know when to let something go, unlike my mom. Dad shook his head as he moved away from the door and gestured for us to go inside. I could smell dinner being made. I guess he planned on staying for dinner. So much for a relaxing evening.

            “It is not like I don’t trust you, Angel, but you haven’t been on your own like this. You need to understand that nothing is going to be given to you anymore. You’re going to have to work for it.” Dad said as we sat down. He was telling me something that I already knew, but I learned to let him finish. He was someone who disdained being interrupted.

            “Mr. Avery, I already have a job, and we are working on getting her a job. I know you worry, but we will be okay.” Taylor said, sitting down on the couch. I followed her and laid my head against her shoulder. Holly and dad sat down in the two lazy boys.

            “Plus, Mr. Carver paid the rest of the mortgage, so all that is left are the utilities. I promise you, dad, we will take care of it.” I said before looking at Holly. “How is school? Dad says you made the honor roll.” She nodded and smiled. I was so proud of my sister. She was such a smart cookie.

            We sat and talked for a couple of hours. Soon after, dad and Holly said their goodbyes. He was not happy with my decision but wasn’t anything he could do as I was eighteen. Once they were gone, Taylor came up behind me and wrapped her arms around me.

            “I am sorry that you had to deal with that. It had to be hard standing up to your dad.” Taylor said before dragging me back to the couch. Pulling me into her lay, she grabbed the remote. “Let’s see what we can find on the T.V.”

            After scrolling through Netflix, Taylor found a movie that looked interesting. Curling up against her, I pulled the blanket down that was covering the couch and covered up. I sighed happily as I laid there as she started the movie. 

21