chapter 4: The White Hat
124 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"By the power vested in me by the authorities of the guild, your application to this guild is now denied!"

Those words reverberated and drown out all the cacophony of murmurs inside the guild. Even the fellow guild staff was forced to stop their pens and shifted their attention to us together with their clients.

Did she just denied my application... And even declared it for the people to be heard?

I was at loss for a moment by how she arbitrarily declared my dismissal in the grandest manner.

I see…

Her temperature was rising prompting a little moist on her face but not so far as forming a watery bead. She balled her hands into a fist, suppressing the trembling shoulder nonetheless shakes the whole arms slightly. Her overall aura was indicating restlessness. Her heartbeats were faints, even so, I found it to be much louder and clearer. Despite the fact his body was cowering, her almond eyes were full of vigor, Intense and determined.

So this is how it is…

That not something as shallow as putting up a front. Her mind was faltering but her heart was never been broken… It was as if, there’s some unknown power pushing her back.

Resolve.

Those were the eyes of someone who will never back down once she decides something.

Just like me

Those words were serious. I doubt that I can excuse myself out of this and be part of the adventurer’s guild anymore.

My objective failed

The receptionist was still glaring at me, but I choose to back down. There's no need to push my self here.

“I guess I’ve come for nothing huh”

I left those words before turning my hills and walkout. Be it as it may, not even a bit of negative emotion can be seen on my face. Not because I was wearing a mask, it’s because but there’s really no need to get sad about failures.

There’s still a chance to earn money quickly with other methods. All I have to do now was to think of a better alternative.

But even so… she has gone too far.

I walk with only the faint thumps of my shoe echoes on the silent crowd, but it didn't take long before this building be flooded with cacophonies of murmurs.

My heartbeats were steady and calm as usual, even my breathing was it on the healthy state. I'm mentally stronger than my physical aspects. Thus psychological threats won't work on me.

But for a weak-willed person, they might cower before this scene.

With these disparaging gazes that depreciated your existence after you get scolded before the crowd. This is nothing short of soul breaking.

I can't help thinking: why she had done that?

Is this a process of filtering those who were strong-willed adventurers? –MAYBE. The guild wouldn't it like if the adventurer they send was cowering before the monsters. No, the community service quests exist for that purpose to build up their strength and confidence. Her decision at that time was intentional.

Is this really how receptionist of the guild?

I didn't voice any rebuttals or even hate that person. I pitied her actually. She got complacent with her position and thinks her judgment was always right.

She was under the pressure of anxiety earlier with no apparent reason.

YES… WITH NO REASON AT ALL…

Her countenance change right after I asks that question. I don't understand her at all. What's is wrong with that?

I only ask that question so I would be mindful of the consequences. Even If I didn't ask, isn't she will eventually present me the rules and regulations including the appropriate punishment of the violation at the end of the registration process?

Nope, it should be the first procedure, just like accepting the terms and conditions before using an app. That was how it goes in my country for the time of the applicant not to be wasted if ever they found something unpleasant on the rules. I guess there's so much to learn in this world including their common sense.

This was a new experience for me since I haven't encountered this kind of commotion before. This is not the image of a guild receptionist I had on my mind.

That was an incompetent employer… wait, I think there’s was something better to describe her.

Something that the pros of the gaming world would call to an incompetent player who doesn't improve even with the passage of time… Ah, yes…

SHE’S A NOOB

Maybe album smelled the stupidity of that woman when she caressed his head. His mana fluctuated at that time. If I hadn't calmed him down, he would have fired assault magic.

That would be… the worst scenario…

That's it, this is bad for my mental health. I should be forming the next plan to earn money.

 

With the number gazing eyes earlier doubled now, Murmurs and insults are still going strong. I ignored everything around me and heads towards the exit.

 

What the- do this thing always happened?

I let a sigh escape under my mask. I have read this scene countless times in books. Even Mr. Smith had warned me about the possibility of this incident. I never thought it was going to happen.

As I was close to the door, two large men stand in front to block my way. Large swords hanging on the backs of their light armors, revealing. The strong smell of alcohol that soaked their shirt that made apparent those burly muscles, was enough to singe my nose.

I crane my neck only to see some irritated faces under my hat, one is a human, and another is wolf-man with his sharp ears pointed at the ceiling.

“It seems you’ve been quite rude to Miss Michel earlier huh, kid” (human warrior)

“It’s because of you that old man Coldbeard had spilled his beers on me!” (Wolf-man warrior)

The wolf-man groan while pointing his finger on his drench shirt. His nose was twitching, probably his dog-nature amplified the strong smell.

This were tablemates of that dwarf?

I shot a protesting look to the old man who was still drinking his alcohol. As I do so, he coughs up his swallowed beer and once again douse the newly wiped table.

That dwarf must be high-rank adventurers to be triggered his instinct and look at me with that stiff smile. Now I get it… this wolf-man wants to blame it all on me since he can’t take it out on someone stronger than him. Why do I have to shoulder someone else's fault? These two adventurers must be in the middle class who can't even properly assess the strength of their enemy.

There were several high-rank adventurers like that dwarf in this guild, mostly composed of dark races. They stayed silent with their earnest gaze, anticipating how this would turn out… wait a minute...

If he was that strong, isn’t he has the option to stop his lackeys?

This Rank-S'… I guess have piqued their curiosities huh. These guys were being used as guinea pigs to assess my prowess. What a battle maniacs.

“Pampered kids with no respect to the people of this guild deserve some punishment you know” (wolf-man warrior)

"But if you leave that bird to us, your punishment will be lifted, plus we might help you out on some quests despite your creepiness, he, hehe” (human warrior)

So these guys are after my bird after all huh.

The two men flashed a wicked grin. This was just like how those people on the back alley behave. Are they really adventurers? I already expected the rude behaviors of an adventure –but not on this kind of scale. What's more, no person wants to get involved with these guys. Even others were consenting their actions with an excited look on their faces, some are glaring me daggers, eager to see me get beaten up. There some are looking at me with pity. Nope... hah…they were pitying Album.

…This guild

Incompetent receptionist, and foolish adventurers.

Was brimming with cancers

I shouldn’t have entered this building.

I have no time for such skirmish nor interested in gracing them with my abilities. But, that doesn't mean I will just get out without doing something. What's more, their aim was my Album.

Do they want a show? Then they got it.

“Are you guys really an adventurer?”

“Of course we are! Can’t even see you this red tag? I’m a C-rank adventurer! It seems this creepy kid doesn’t even know this yet! (Human warrior)

"Do you even know what this yellow tag means? This stands for a D-class adventurer! (wolf-man warrior)

“Okay…”

I nodded along with my hat after those two warriors proudly show off their colored necklace tags which correspond their ranks. Impressed by their status, different reactions from the crowd burst forth.

"Hey, that's a C-class and D-class!? This kid is toast" (dark elf archer)

“Isn’t that Kimal-the destroyer, The C-class that subjugates the C-class monster 'titan frog' on his own?" (Villager)

“No way! That Kimal who's the brother of the S-rank adventurer Salbane- the rogue knight!” (Dwarf warrior)

“Why those middle-class adventurer bullying that poor kid.” (Merchant)

“They said he got some bad manners. And what is wrong with bully a kid wearing something creepy? (Cat-man scout)

“Well serve’s him right. Wait, isn’t it all adventurers are ill-mannered?” (Townsfolk)

“That’s right. But he’s not an adventurer anymore. But he still creepy.” (Another Townsfolk)

It seems this c-class warrior is well known for his strength and connection to an S-class adventurer. This Kimal guy nodded his several times with a smug, while the other crosses his arms and strike a prideful pose while indulging the cheers of the crowds.

I stifled a laugh under my mask. I can’t believe these people were impressed by their meager achievement. If they were ten years old, I would have the same expression as them. But these guys were way over that age. Probably mid-twenties.

Anyways, I will just pass through these two towering guys and be on my way.

Literally "pass-through"

I walk through them like a ghost and emerge behind their backs.

A dull thud follows afterward. I didn't bother to look back and walk straight outside, leaving behind the turmoil inside the adventurer's guild.

 

-\(0.0)/-

 

“I-I’m sorry all my spell was…” (Human cleric)

“You’ve done enough. Thank you” (dwarf)

Dwarf consoled the apologetic cleric for her healing magic was ineffective. Be that as it may, at least she tried her best to help her fellow adventurer. For the dwarf that’s enough to merit some praises.

After Haven leaves the guild, the simultaneous exaggerated reactions from adventurer were enough to mishear every word they spit. Even the unconcern requestors also voice out their opinions on the matter. Words like 'ghost kid' 'creepy officer' 'white hat kid' were more often than not. But after all these endless discussions, their fervent hearts were all united to give that lad a moniker: WHITE HAT

The legend of the white hat who scares the hell out of these people.

Who can blame them? Their eyes just witness something impossible or unheard of in this world. At least to them.

 The god had never blessed someone a spell that can pass through walls nor did they ever plan on learning.

 

“C-called the medics!”

Seeing first aid failed, the guild staff barked an order to summon medical staffs

Four uniform personnel arrive in a brisk foot's steps. They carefully laid the two trembling bodies to the stretcher to be delivered to the medical room of the guild. This guild was equipped with a medical facility to help the adventurer's in case the suffered too much during the mission without any capable healer. If it turns out that the guild can't administer the appropriate treatment. They will send the patient to the temple were the most talented healers resides. Of course, the payment will be deducted to the adventurers as a form of a loan.

The two fallen men were still an adventurer. Even they were like thugs, they still help people with their monster related problems. The guild can't afford to lose their personnel with undying numbers of monsters randomly spawned. Thus, they accept all the paragons that can confront monsters regardless of their shady background. As long as they follow the rules of the guild, they were welcomed to the guild. Simple as that. That's why many people tend to depict the adventurers as ill-mannered and barbaric.

The dwarf saw the retreating figures of the medics, carrying his juniors, traversing trough the wall of curious spectators.

 

“Their bodies were trembling… I asked them what’s wrong but all they said was ‘it’s cold'." The dwarf warrior grumbled. Even with that excessive amount of alcohol, there was not a hint of tipsiness on his voice. Or maybe the scene earlier shocked his tipsiness away.

"If you have just stopped them elder Coldbeard, this wouldn't have happened."  Said the incubus, both feet were over the table, supporting his leaning chair. He imbibed his lemon juice before he continues.

“Those guys were clattering their teeth like crazy. Oi, what do you think cleric?

“I can’t identify their cause illness, Hure-sama. I tried using fire-attribute healing spell but it isn't working."

“Well with this, I think we had a rough estimation of how strong he is” saying so, the dwarf warrior glanced on the high-rank adventurers who were having a heated conversation. It seems he doesn’t felt sorry about what happened on her juniors after all.

"I don't believe that's enough to form a rough judgment, elder Coldbeard. I guess I better ask Miss Michel about that kid. But….."

The incubus cut of his words as his head turns to the counter where a new receptionist was entertaining the applicants.

 

On the wide room in the side of the hallway situated inside the guild building, several partitions erected to form a compartment designated to each staff. But their very rooms also serve a consultation room for any adventurers who seek and advice or learn. Consequently, before the rows of rooms were rows of empty seats intended as waiting area with several portraits that depict the battle between adventurers and monsters was pasted on the walls. Because the adventurers these days were brimming with haughtiness, it's been long since this room was graced by their presence. If this wasn't the guilds staff room. Those seats were long since covered with dust.

Thus, No adventurers were present right now. Coincidentally even the whole compartments were unoccupied at the moment.

Except one.

On the second to the farthest compartment from the entrance. A lone lady was seated on her chair with a face deeply planted on the desk. Her disheveled caramel hair was spilling on her arms which were sprawled across the table but not so much as hitting the compiled folders and stacks of papers. There was not a color on her almond eye which currently staring into nothingness.

She has been like this for half an hour now, trying to comprehend and chiding herself about the earlier incident.

“Michel-san… you okay?”

A light knocked accompanied by a concerned voice resounded from the door. Since this room functioned as a consultation room, it was designed to be soundproof but not to the extent of blocking completely all the sounds. Hadn't anticipated a sudden visitor, Michel snapped and hurriedly swing door the open. She knows this voice very well. So much that she considered the owner of this voice as her older sister.

“Diane-senpai… hick… wahhhhh!”

Seeing the warm smile of her Senpai, Michel burst into tears as she wraps her arms around her. Diane was startled for a moment but soon regain her emotion and patted her head.

“It’s alright now… let go inside okay?”

Diane ushered her inside the room as if she owns the place. She sat on the chair where the owner was supposed to be sitting and Michel instead sat on the chair intended for the consultee across the desk. Mitchel understands she was the one who needs advice so she was okay being on this position.

Diane clears his throat and asked in a downcast manner.

“Senpai…Am I… still okay?”

“I think your worrying for nothing, you just expelled him out of the guild so you will never see him again.”

“But that is the problem, Diane-senpai! I denied his application. What if he holds a grudge against me? What if he stalked me all the way to my house? He can pass through the walls you know! Perhaps he already waiting for me outside the guild.

Diane reassured but the consultee wasn't convinced. The words of 'what-if's' swirled inside her head. It can't be helped since Michel's house wasn't equipped with a magic barrier like the gates of the capital and the houses of nobles. Thus, the white hat can just walk into her house and do whatever he wants with her. The image of a person who can strike at any time and place had embraced her with so much terror.

But the consultant shakes her head in denial and reassured her once more.

“I don’t think he’ll do that”  He is not the kind of man that will be trouble himself for someone with a meager existence.

Those just were few words yet it carries a certain weight. Michel paused, beholding her confident Senpai who flashed an assuring smile. Her words which supported by her soothing aura were enough to put her heart at ease.

“Cheer up okay. You can’t face the applicants with that face.  

She got up from her seat and go around the table to offer her a hand.

"That’s not how a receptionist is. That’s not how a receptionist Michel I know”

Michel moved her gazed on the offered hand

The hand that helps so much when she was just starting on her job.

The hand helps her to push her and gains confidence when she was down.

And most of all hand that helps her made the better version of herself.

Her consciousness travels to the past on a fleeting moment. Nevertheless, it lifted the fogs of doubt.   

If Senpai has so much trust in me. Then I need to trust her too. And if he indeed follows me. I just have to explain myself to him properly. I did it for the greater goods. I should face the consequences of my righteous action with pride. I’m Mitchel, the adventurer’s receptionist!

Finding a new resolve, Michel recovered the lost vigor. She held that hand and stood up.

“Your right Senpai. I shouldn’t cower just because of that white hat. If I falter here just because I denied him, the unqualified adventurer, then I couldn’t be called myself as a receptionist.

Looking at her determined eyes, Diane blinked in Astonishment. her face was saying "Just how much this girl committed to her job?" But since her junior recovered her lost self, she casually bloomed a smile.

“That’s my girl”

She hugged Michel while patting her head. 

Mitchel bath on the warm sensation, indulging the comfort her elder sister gave.

 

After consoling her junior receptionist, Diane proceed to her compartment. She sat on her chair before the desk which only bundles on papers neatly compiled was present –much well than that of Michel's. She produced a phone from her breast pocket and dial some numbers. Her countenance earlier was nowhere to be seen and was replaced by a face devoid of any emotion.

<Hello…> a sweet voice of a maiden responded. Without any greeting, Diane proceeds to state her business.

“His eminence has visited the adventurer’s guild”

<hmp… of course he does. That’s the fastest way of earning money…  So how does it go?>

“He was denied”

A fleeting silenced passed before the response can be heard.

<…what?>

Diane ignored her astonished tone and enunciate the reason.

“It seems he asked something about the consequences of violations, so the employer had denied him right away”

<…pfs…pffs…>

Is she laughing?

The person on the other side became silent. But the intermittent faint chuckled was enough to guess why. Still, Diane was donning a poker face, indifferent to her expressions.

 <anything else?>

“…”

 

-\(0.0)/-

 

Somewhere around the kingdom of Richfield was an area that had yet to be seen by its citizens. The afternoon light falls on the clear waters of the lake, reflecting the towering peak of the mountain. The surrounding trees rustled announcing the coming breeze which proceeds to caress the unblemished skin of a maiden. She had an appearance on her middle teens with flowing platinum blonde hair over the shoulder.

The tree on her left shaded her stark naked body which adorned with perfect curves and bountiful chest that was laid with on a lounger chair. Her left knee was bent upwards and as if to balanced her left hand holding the phone, a glass of wine was being held on her right.

 

“fufufu… So that’s what happened” she giggled after having told everything that happened on the adventurer’s guild.

"[Ghost walk] was a spell that can pass through the crowds with stealth while leaving freezing damage on their soul. But from what happened, it seems he disable the invisibility"

Her golden eyes fell the lake in front while swishing the purple wine. She takes a sip that moistened the pale pink lips before putting the glass on the small table on her right; holding the bottle of wine and the varieties of fruits contained on a transparent bowl.

"Tell the rest of the wardens to report every sighting. Absolutely don't tail him. Just one glance and don't take another. Fortunately, with that critule, it would be much easier to find him now.”

<Understood>

“You’re dismissed”

After cutting the phone call, the maiden held her phone on her chest, her eyes closed with a satisfied expression. She raised the phone once more, flashing the wallpaper of the ashen grey-haired boy with a surprised expression after the platinum blonde girl placed a white hat on his head.

 

"White Hat huh… I guess the people adore the hat that I gave you, my sweat Haven…"

 She squinted, reminiscing the past that only she may know.

“I guess it’s about time to make my move”

Saying so, she moves her slim fingers to the surface of the screen to make a phone call.

<Yes Mistress?>

A voice of an old man responds from the other side. Confirming the familiar voice, she put a serious expression before relaying her orders…

“Prepare a carrier pigeon”

<Destination?>

The Royal Doors

 

 

 

 

 

 

1