Chapter 7: Plan
39 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Please visit the glossary of rankings

 

  I opened a portal to the edge of the forest, located in the southern part of the kingdom. After a long deliberation during my sightseeing, I judge the most ideal place for camping. I did choose a place near the capital, but there is a chance that an Eclipse may visit me on my sleep. There were several places on the choices. But with the last data I remembered upon the distribution of personnel across this kingdom, this area was the thinnest. And far from the HQ of the Richfield chapter.

  I traversed the undulated grounds with clumps of grass carpets sprouted from here and there. There’s was not a sound on this place, but just the cracking of the leaves every time my foot drops. The sunset light was spilling through the clusters of trees giving a warm tint to thickets and the canopy of leaves.

  I don't have any idea of what direction am I going to. I just let myself be dragged to where my legs will take me. With my faint presence, I stroll on valley monsters that were hiding on the near those thickets. Of course, I knew the sounds of my feet will definitely attract some of them.

  –Just like this one.

  The large lion-like monster jumped from the shadows of the trees. He swiftly jumped to the formidable trunks with those paws extending the knife-like claws. It bounces to the other trees before jumping straight at me, bearing its fangs protruded from its mouth dribbling saliva. Its glinting crimson eye was darted on prey that was out of place in its territory.

  I’m not looking for a fight though.

  Before he makes a contact, my figure vanished like a thin air making the monster confused upon its landing. It walked in circles with its nose twitching together with its ears.

  Leaving the monster called a Leomon behind, I weave my way through trees with invisibility.

  I have read the information about the monsters through the encyclopedia of the bestiary. I browsed their unique abilities, habitats, and the designated ranks. But of course, knowing by reading was not accurate as with the first-hand experience. Thus, I decided to bait some monsters with a faint sound to measure their response time and strength. And that first monster was the Leomon.

  I don’t know its designated ranks according to the adventurer’s guild-rankings. But what I do know was the ranks based on our philosopher's ranking system. Leomon’s threat level raised in category 2: Cataclysm. It has strength enough to mow down a city in just a day. If I were to guess on guild’s ranking, I think it was around… ranked B – A.

  This place brimmed with strong monsters. A perfect place for hunting materials actually. But I don’t have time to hunt at the moment. I didn’t kill the Leomon since there might a chance that we will attract other monsters during the fight. And that would be troublesome since I have to do the clean up after. My time would probably run out to find a place to sleep if that happens. I'm mentally tired from all the things that happened today so I really need some rest. Of course, this will be the last night of that Leomon and his other friends on the surface.

  I walk far enough and was approaching deeper onto the forests. After a few steps more, I heard the rustling of running water. This could be-

  I made a beeline to where that sound from. I jumped to the trees to have a good vantage point; bouncing from branches to branches. As I reach the seemingly last branch from the clutters of trees, I found a river. A bountiful of fishes swim under the glass-like water. And from the edge of the river was a wide space covered by a carpet of grass which barricaded by thickets and trees.

  Free space, free food, and a free bath. This indeed an ideal spot for camping!

  This small paradise tingling my heart with warmness and excitement.

  No human tracks present on my way here. This must be an uncharted area.

  If that’s the case, the eclipse has yet to visit this place. This is perfect! I can enjoy this place as much as I please.

  Jumping on the small clearing, I set up a ridge-tent which includes some foldable furniture from my [void storage]. I also erected several layers of barriers for security.

  After setting up my things which were done for half an hour, I decided to let take a bath.

  I undress all my clothes and let the river experience his first guest. I walk slowly on the sallow part with fishes dispersing to make way for their consumer later. As the water approaches my neck, I swim down at the bottom of the river. The cold water surprisingly comforting… waters untouched with the human hand is truly refreshing. This was my first bath on the natural water after along while. on my way here, we used water-created magic to washed our selves.

  I resurface from underwater –letting my body float on my back.

  As I lie down, I closed my eyes and let flowing water washed all the fatigue away.

 

  So many incidents happened today, I made friends to a bird and named it Album, the fight with the assassins, the troubles on the guild, the thief, and bookseller, and the quest book. I didn't even have time to meet that blacksmith because of that bookseller. But well, I did gain something interesting.

  That quest book was field so much mysteries. I probably need a lot of time to unravel them all. Maybe I will get my answers if I completed the quests. I need to help for 4 more people in a desperate situation to complete the quest number 1.

  Speaking with people in a desperate situation, I once read a report from Eclipse that this dukedom located in the southern part of the country was heavily troubled with monsters from these forests.

  There was an adventurer's guild branch stationed in that territory. But with the number of upper-class adventurers that can only be counted on both hands, they were getting overwhelmed by more powerful monsters in some parts of the dukedom.

  Every day always surging with quests to the point that the bulletin board of the guild was wrapped with papers. If an adventurer plucks the pasted quest-paper, another one will be posted by the guild staff. There was always an endless complaint of people about the slow response of the guild to the matter.

  Can you really blame them? Even if that’s the case, the guild will never send the lower-class adventurers to deal with something more than their level. The only thing that the people can do was to wait or vacate their homes if the assaults persist.

  The knight's hands are also full in guarding the borders against the Saedon Kingdom to the south. So there was never an option of deploying them to deal with the monsters. As far as I know, the duke sends his knights stationed in his castle instead. He had a short amount of personnel and he can't leave his city unprotected too. Thus, he was left alone with a few talented knights.

  There is an option of issuing a quest to the high-ranked adventurer in the capital. But that would require a substantial amount. An issued quest to a high-rank (Ranks S) is usually around 10 platinum coins. And the Rank-SS would be 1 rainbow coin.

  Also, the adventurers are free, it was up to them to decide if they will take the quest. Some of these ruffians were fueled with greed and even abused their clients by raising the prize more. The duke probably having a second taught of issuing a quest to the high-ranks.

  What a desperation situation he was in right… now.

......

  Hmm… this gives me an idea.

  my lips stretch at the plans I form immediately. I guess I will lend a hand on that duke.

  This day was the first day of the festival. There were various events the king had prepared but what peopled interested the most was the tournaments that will be held on a second day or tomorrow for preliminaries. According to the couples, Garry and Sendy, the third day will be the fights of the filtered participants from the preliminaries. Different delegations from different countries will attend to witness the prior match. Theirs is no doubt that the duke will attend the event on the third day and onwards. It means, I only have tomorrow enact my plans.

  I may need Album to do something for me first.

  After I secretly produce a small protrusion –by manipulating the prana underground – I open void storage using Album as a medium. I let him get the large size watermelon spilling on the portal to hit thief on the head. Thus, we lost a stack of our rations but produced a satisfactory result. I left in the capital to fly all the way here as a challenge to find me without using the spell [Nota]. this would also strengthen our bonds together. Also, I judge that it would be bad if he didn't work his wings now that he became domesticated. He probably on his way here now.

  With this plan, the numbers should be down to three.

  –Oh, I forgot…

  I didn't check the other quests. Maybe there were some quests can be done simultaneously.

   I guess I need to check that first, before going to bed.

 

 

-O-

 

  [illuminate]

  A ball of white light illuminated the interior of the fairly large ridge-tent. There's not much in the room except for the foldable mattress and a small foldable side table and chair.

  After having my dinner with the fished from a river, I scuttle back on the tent.

  I pick up the quest book on the table then sit on the bed.

  I run my fingers to the plain black cover with my name at the bottom right corner. Continuing where I stop, I flip to page after the quest-1.

 

Quest number 2

Disarm 10 assassins.

the challenger must remove a weapon on any assassin they confront during combat. One weapon per one assassin only.

 

  I suppressed a chuckle after reading the passage. This should be easy. With a large number of assassin chasing me nonstop. This quest-2 is good as complete. I just don't know exactly when our next encounter will come, but I pretty sure it wouldn't be long.

  Let’s see the third.

 

Quest number 3

Win in a combat tournament.

-the challenger must win in a combat tournament without having a single loss.

 

  –Not possible.

  Even I want to, there’s no way I can join this festival's tournament. There a possibility the eclipse will do something if they find out that I joined the event. Probably, they will send a [master-rank] to deal with me on a match. This not going to be smooth like the last time since we can't fight without any restraints. I might lose on the battle. Or even if I win, that would cause me to reveal some of my cards. This is a full disadvantage.

 

Quest number 4

Save a princess of a country.

The princess should be a crown princess of a nation. Save or help her with any problem she faces.

Be it trivial or major.

 

  ….This would be harder.

  The quest seems easy but the problem was kind of princess. Crown princess can only mean one thing: She will be the next leader of a country. Approaching a person like that would be a lot harder.

  I guess I just have to wait for the opportunity to present itself.

  I’m not going to look for the princess, the princess will look for me. I have better things to do that will benefit me greatly than saving a princess.

  Well, let’s see the other quests.

 

Quest number 10 – Form a party of adventurers.

Quest number 26 – Slay a 10 [Rank-S] monster.

Quest number 30 – Drink a bottle of the strongest beer of the dwarves.

Quest number 45 – Become a strategist.

Quest number 58 – Cast your strongest spell.

Quest number 79 – Cooked something for someone else.

Quest number 82 – Eat a handful of chili.

Quest number 99 - Conquer a dungeon

 

  Some quests are weird and some are reasonable. But–

  To EAT a HANDFUL of CHILLI? Really!?

  I think this book badly wants to see its challenger suffer huh.

  I abstain to flip the page to the last quest for a simple reason: Having a mystery quest for the last is much more thrilling.

  Still, some quests were way too absurd. If my hypothesis was right, this book is shaping the challenger to become an ideal hero –Brave and gallant. A hero that will respond to the cries of the people.

  ....That would be good and all but,

   –Too bad for you.

  I’m not your puppet.

  –I’m not an idiot like those heroes.

  I was interested in the reward, but I'm more interested in the book itself. And as a philosopher, I want to know the secrets.

  –Everything is possible with [Magika].

  If I could somehow analyze the mechanism of the book, then I could bypass all the quest requirements and go straight to the reward.

  I can say that I'm threading a road different from the heroes, but we still do have the same destination like how she explained.

  They were working hard and I am working smartly.

  I want to complete the book without going through a grueling effort and some impossible quests. Then maybe, I could meet the being behind this or analyze the novel armament. But given my busy schedule, I don't have the time to investigate at the moment. I will still fulfill the quest as long as the situation would allow.

  That bookseller might probably disappointed if she finds out, what I'm about to do.

  Well, it thinks is fine since that bookseller is a woman of a dubious character anyway. I probed her the entire time and somehow, I felt a certain dissonance from the way she behaves. I don't think our encounter just simply because of the book. She might have agenda… Or maybe I'm just overthinking things again. Well, she was already gone, I think I should forget it about it now.

  I close the quest book and put it on the table. I have already done recording the events that happened today during dinner. My eyes got tired from all those reading.

  Today was very lively. Such a blast at the start of my journey. I guess tomorrow would be peaceful, like a day after the storm.

  Being charmed by the bed, I lay my body in my most comfortable position. The soft mattress embraces me with such comfort that my eyes surrendered easily and my consciousness drifted away to the land of dreams.

 

-O-

  *knock, knock, knock, knock,*

  “Altard-sama! Artard-sama... Altard-sama!

  A steward was standing in front of a large door adorned with carvings that were guarded by two heavily armored nights. His face calm but a bead of sweat flowed from his forehead hinted what he truly felt. The steward forced a façade to avoid any panic. He called out again with an unshaken voice and fearless eyes.

  “Altard-sama!”

  After a few calls, a click from doorknob resounded.

  The doored had parted, revealing a man in his early forties. His blond hair was disheveled a little form the immediate actions he took.

  The sudden knock of his steward had pulled Duke Ramas Altard way from his dreams. In a normal situation, the lord may punish his steward for such insolence. But waking him up before the scheduled time can only mean one thing. The lord hurriedly fixed himself and dressed an appropriate clothing. His wife also did the same but she was a little late. d

  The steward waited for the wife with the beauty of her early thirties to walk beside his lord. She wore a white gown. Her long copper blond hair tied on braids hanged on her right shoulder.

  The lord gazed with sharpness suggesting the steward to continue.

  “I believe showing you is much preferable than telling, Altard-sama”

  Saying so, the steward ushered the masters outside of the house.

 

  “wha –what is this?”

  The wife said in a horrid tone. Her eyes widened together with the lord beside her.

  “Father! Mother!”

  "please wait up! Lady Felicia..."

  "careful!"

  A lady in her middle teens, together with her two concern maids, ran across the lawn as she held the hem of her blue dress. Her long blonde hair tied on a twin-tail swayed on each of her steps.

  Upon her arrival, she held her mouth and wore the same expression as her parents.

  The knights of the castle surrounded a lion's head, large as a ten-year-old kid, that was pierced by stakes of earth in three meters aloft from the ground. But what's more surprising was a Critule standing above its head clasping an envelope on its beak.

  “Just what… is this hector?” the Lord Altard asked his steward with his eyes still fixed on the monsters.

  "One of our guards suddenly saw these monsters during patrol. We still don't know how it got here. Even our security was thin, there’s no way an ordinary person could deliver somethings this big without raising an uproar.”

  “What kind of monster is it?”

  Felicia recovered from the shock first and asked with her eyes still fixed on the bird above the large head.

  "The large head was from a monster named Leomon. I believe the guild designated the beasts as [Rank-S].

  "A [Ranked-S]!?"

  Everyone was astonished upon hearing the steward explanation. Except for this lady. She shook her head and enunciated what she means.

  “Sorry, I asking about the bird, Sir Hector.”

  Upon the words of the lady, everyone focuses their gaze on the bird.

  “It seems you’re not aware of it Lady Felicia, but that creature is actually famous. That monster is called Critule. According to some literature, it was dubbed as “supporting birds”. They are master of healing magic with intelligence leveled with that of a dragon. It hovered above the capital only during the festival which became the symbol of a good celebration. In some countries, the bird was considered sacred. The adventurers designated its rank as [Rank-S] because even their [Rank-S] adventurers can’t catch the said bird.”

  “Wow… It’s amazing… isn’t it?”

  The steward Hector smiled wryly seeing Felicia engrossed on the bird. He then faced the duke to give his opinion on the matter.

  “It’s clearly a tamed bird. Its master might be the one behind this. It got a message for us, but it seems it’s not coming down.”

  "I see. Well, you did a good job not to force the bird to come down. Its master must be watching us from somewhere. The duke returned his gaze to the Critule and continue with a grave tone. “It would be bad if chase it down and then fly away with the letter. It must be probing us if we are worthy of his time.”

  “It was as you say Altard-sama. We should observe for now and hope that we can convey our thoughts to the bird."

  Altard and his steward Hector had already an idea of what the master of this bird wants. With kind of setting it would be too obvious to guess what the person wants.

  But in terms of position, they will be the one at the disadvantage. After all, with the presence of the critule and Leomon's head. Someone behind this is clearly beyond the level of the [Rank-S] adventurers. If they show a hint of hostility, the bird will fly away and their current problems will remain.

  With everyone stopped staking for a moment, the Critule spread its wings and bowed to its audience. -its version of a curtsy. It flaps its wings descends gently down towards Felicia.

  Her eyes shone bright with her mouth left open. Felicia casually raised her arms for the Critule to land.

  After it a got ahold of its balance on the arms of the smiling Felicia, the bird shifted its head to the dumbstruck duke to offer the letter.

  With utmost caution, Altard slowly gets the envelope. He wore a difficult expression as he stared at the white envelope with a black seal depicting an emoticon with X-eyes and a smiling mouth with stitches.

  “Open it, dear! Hurry!”

  “…”

  Following the words of her wife who was excited like a child opening a present, Duke Altard deftly melt wax seal, with fire magic.

  The letter wafted a sweet aroma as soon as it was out the envelope. From what he observes this was a special paper that no commoner can afford. He carefully opened the paper that will reveal the intention of the unknown person.

  His focused eyes swiveling back and forth as he read the stitches of characters. A bead of sweat trickling down shows how serious the message was. As if he was reading a divine sentence.

  Lady Felicia was caressing the white feathers of the Critule which delightedly closed its eyes –completely opposite reaction from that of the guild receptionist.

  "Hector! Tell the maids to prepare a room and our finest foods for our important guest!"

 

  As she completely enjoyed expressing the Critule, her hands stopped by the fervent command of his father.

  "Yes! By your will!"

  The tone of his master hinted Hector of something big was coming. So hurriedly went back to the castle.

  Lady Felicia and her mother face each, curious about the Duke's vigorous aura after reading the letter.

  “What did the letter say?”

  “Will the owner of this bird coming, father?”

  Lord Altard faces them with a satisfied expression.

  “Those monsters will be dealt with...”

Finally!!! I'm out in the day-one of the story. I'll begin the manga now.

 

 

1