Chapter two: Ardora
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To Samuka, Ardora was easily the prettiest city in all the Land of Cariosus. Many would disagree with him of course. Irrigo had plenty of natural wonders to behold. The tallest waterfall in the world, Handara, resided there. It is also said that 3 times a year, they receive beautiful auroras in the sky that bring good fortune to their people. The Astu village had enormous buildings that were so tall, they penetrate even the clouds.

But Ardora's bustling streets was all Samuka needed to feel as though he lived in paradise.

As he passed by Mrs. May's flower shop, Samuka couldn't help but linger. The smell of fresh daisy enchanted him through the doors and into the shop.

The magnificent scent led him through the aisles of roses, sakuras, daffodils until he reached the register. Mrs. Mays friendly old face greeted him there.

"Hello son," she said to him. "How are you and your brother doing?"

"Were doing good Mrs. May" he responded, "fathe-I mean General Aanarudo just sent me out to deliver some papers, and brother is at academy training."

Mrs. May smiled at Samuka warmly. "That's great sweetie, come stop by later at around noon, I'm gonna bake a special meat pie that I'd love for you to try!"

Samuka gave her a quick, thankful bow. "That'd be great Mrs. May, I'll be sure to come."

Before running out the store, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a leather pouch. He plopped it onto the counter, causing the coins inside to rattle.

"Hold on now Samuka!" she called out to him. "You know I can't take this!"

"Nonsense Mrs. May, I know running a shop can get tough" Before she could protest, he rushed out the door and headed to the directory.

On his way he received many "Top of the morning Samuka!" and "there goes Samu, rushing around as always"

Finally, he arrived at the directory. He walked over to a large window, behind which sat a large, balding man in formal attire.

"Papers from General Aanarudo to the King's small council" Samuka said to him, handing the papers over.

The large man took the papers from Samuka hastily and straightened them.

"General Aanarudo sending children to do his paper work again, isn't he?"

He laughed the snarky comment off. "I suppose he is" Samuka said to him.

"Tell your brother Koki he was great in the tournament." the large man said

"Mhm yeah i'll let him know."

After going to the directory, Samuka was on his way back home. He lived within the inner wall of the city; in a traditional little house right at the entrance of a forest. It was by a small pond filled with colorful fish and tadpoles.

Samuka's father, General Aanarudo, could likely afford a much larger, more elegant home. However, he was a simple and humble man that wanted nothing more but to enjoy a cup of hot tea by the pond with his wife and children.

"Ma! I'm home!" said Samuka, as he slid the door of his home open. A tall, long haired woman emerged from a room. Despite her evident age, her features had aged gracefully.

"Welcome home darling" she said to him, running her hands through his curly hair.

"Your father will return from the city council meeting any minute now, could you help me set the table?"

Samuka nodded to his mother and rushed to help her.

A few minutes after the table was set, there was a knock at the door. "It must be your father, go ahead and open the door" said Samuka's mother

Samuka peered through the window to get a closer look at who it was. Outside was a young man, older than Samuka by a few years at most. His sandy blonde hair was split down the middle and hung over his face like messy curtains.

"What's wrong dear? Who is it?" asked Samuka's mother. The boy outside tapped the glass of the window. "OPEN THE DOOR I NEED TO PEE!" he yelled.

Samuka opened the door with a puzzled look on his face."Koki? Your home early. Aren't you supposed to be at the academy?"

Koki rushed into the house, dropping his jacket on the floor as he entered. He ran over to the bathroom, swung the door open and a drizzling sound could be heard moments later.

"Yea I was!" Koki exclaimed, the drizzling sound still continuing. "The whole academy got shut down, we all got sent home early."

"Koki! Close the door while you pee you pig!" said Samuka, closing the bathroom door.

The toilet flushed. "I think it was some kind of emergency situation." said Koki "Word will probably get out soon on what's going on" He washed his hands and dried them on his black Academy Uniform.

Koki walked into the kitchen and began searching through the fridge for something to eat. "Where's dad?" he called out.

The clock on the shelf marked 6pm. General Aanarudo was typically home by 4:30.

Samuka shook his head. "He's never this late, maybe it has to do with what went on at the academy?" he questioned. There was a knock at the door. Samuka stood up, relieved. He walked to the door and opened it.

A large man with a scar running down his cheek stood at the door. He wore the red and orange silk of an Ardora warrior.

"Is this the family of Aanarudo Ardora?" said the man. His hands were firmly at his sides.

"Y-yes sir" responded Samuka.

Koki crammed the remainder of his sandwich into his mouth and walked over to attend the man at the door.

"Ei somethe ong er" he said, his mouth filled with bread. Samuka nudged him with his elbow.

Koki swallowed. "Is something wrong sir?"

"General Aanarudo has just been deployed to the perimeter defence of Ardora."

The boys looked at each other in disbelief.

"Perimeter defense?" asked Samuka "Fath- I mean General Aanarudo hasn't been deployed in years!"

"Yes I'm aware" responded the man. "However, Ardora city is currently in a state of emergency. All military personnel are required to report to their duties."

He pulled out a slip of paper from his pocket. "Is Mrs. Seshiria Ardora here?"

"Yes she is, I'll get her," said Samuka. He rushed to the kitchen and returned with his mother.

"Hello Mrs. Seshiria" said the man, bowing before her quickly.

She bowed back. "Hello Master Faan"

Faan. Samuka had heard this name before. He was one of General Aanarudo's friends, likely from the council of Ardora as well. Samuka looked over at Koki and saw his worried frown.

If a council member shows up to your door like this, it can only mean they are all being deployed. "How bad is this?" Thinks Samuka

"General Aanarudo has ordered for all the citizens of Ardora to be evacuated at once. We can not share full detail as to why." said the man.

Seshiria pursed her lips. She looked over at her two sons, and gave master Faan a nod.

"Very well," said Master Faan. "Oh and one more thing. Koki, you are to come with me immediately."

Seshira was taken back by the order. "Excuse me Master Faan, I thought you said all citizens had to evacuate?"

"Yes ma'am, but Koki is in his final year at the acedm-'

"But he is only a boy!" yelled Seshiria. Her hand instinctively grabbed Koki's.

"He's not even supposed to be in his last year yet!" she said, gripping onto Koki's hand even harder. "Certainly not in the battlefield!"

Faan looked away from Seshiria's gaze. "I know Ma'am, but as a student in the senior class, he is required to report in times of emergency."

Koki gently pushed his mother's hand away. He walked over to Master Faan's side

"I'll be okay mom, it is my duty as an Ardora Warrior" he said

He turned to face Samuka. "Take care of mom, ok little brother?" he said.

He lifted his hand to gently rustle Samuka's hair.

Koki smiled confidently at him."Pack my stuff for me, I'll meet you at the bunker as soon as I can," he said.

Master Faan and Samuka both rushed off to the perimeter of Ardora. Samuka turned to face his mother.

She was turned away from Samuka, but he could see the tears falling down her face.

"Mom" he said, putting his hand on her shoulder. "You heard Koki, he said he'll be okay. He isn't Ardora's top prospect for no reason."

Seshira didn't budge. "I'm gonna go pack his stuff," said Samuka. "We should probably get ready to go to the bunker."

1