Prologue : The Swindler
181 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So you mean to tell me, that this root belonged to the World Tree in Norse Mythology?" A bespectacled man asked as he looked at the dried up root that seemed to have dirt on it, as if it were recently unearthed.

"Yes, it has the power to calm the mind and alleviate sorrows. Should you buy it now, I can also throw in this hammer. Legend has it that this hammer here belongs to Thor!" Ethan said with an honest look on his face.

"But it looks like a hammer that Every one has at home. Wait, there's even a price tag won the handle...!" He looked up, only to see the money he placed on the stand gone along with Ethan.

"Damn swindler! I hope you go die!" The man felt as if he were about to spit blood out when his foot caught on something.

Looking down, there was a root that seemed to have been broken off after being pulled up. He then realized that he had seen the root before.

Looking at the dirt covered root in his hand and the root on the floor, he felt the my turn black as he fell to the floor with an aggrieved look.

"If the heavens don't punish him, then the heavens must be blind!"

...

Unaware of the man 'greeting' (cursing) his ancestors, he hummed happily as he held a fifty dollar bill in hand.

"At this rate, I can pay the rent before the old hag tries to kick me out!" He wanted to rush back to his apartment when he heard a horn and the squealing of tires against the road.

Looking up, he was just in time to see a truck rushing over to him with a horrible momentum.

He tried to move and made it back to the sidewalk, but someone pushed him from behind, sending him back into the truck's way.

Ethan looked back in time to see a familiar pair of spectacles. The man had a flushed face filled with anger!

However when the truck slammed into Ethan, his face turned to shock as he hurriedly looked around, only to find no one close enough to have seen the exchange.

Running away silently, Ethan lay on the street after the truck slammed into his body. He coughed up blood and knew that his organs were punctured by his ribs.

Taking a raspy breath, his lungs felt like something had impaled it, making Ethan's face contort in agony.

People crowded, however when they say Ethan's current state, a few turned away immediately while some covered their children's eyes.

Adult A : "Sweety don't look, you'll get nightmares."

Adult B : "Such a young lad, we might not be able to help him if we can the ambulance now."

Adult C : "Ha, the great swindler finally got his just punishment. Evil shall be repaid by evil."

Ethan could here a cacophony of voices, and then zeroed in on the one that cursed him!

'Did I swindle your things before? Why must you curse me so much after I'm already dying.'

His body slowly lost sensations and he realized that he was dying. Even pain which had incapacitated him at first had faded to a dull ache.

His eyes which were brown slowly lost their luster. His lungs ceased to operate and his heart thumped a few seconds longer before stuttering to a stop.

 

5