Chapter 1
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day was dry and blistering as it always was. Nothing really changes in the deserts of the Firelands especially the weather. But some hot weather alone is not enough to keep the people from walking about. In fact for those who are spending their time up and about, hot days such as this one is seen as a lucky one, and to spend it indoors is wasted opportunity. So the market place was bustling full with people looking to trade. The idea was if there was a haggle, you would always come out on top. This of course created an obvious dilemma since both buyers and sellers believed that the luck would help them prevail in a haggle. So Lucky Sweat Days, as they commonly became known as, became days about who was luckier than the other.

But for one couple of farmers Lucky Sweat Days only served to further prove how unlucky they were. Iggi was certain that today was going to be different. She spent three days preparing for it; writing up a list of supplies, creating a schedule for the day, and organising a wagon for transport to and from the city. She was determined to make this day her day!

It started with her and her husband, Bert, oversleeping and nearly missing the wagon to the city. Fortunately they were able to catch the wagon just as it turned around from their farm. Already behind schedule, Iggi ordered them both to forgo breakfast and instead eat and dress during their trip. Her excited frustration put Bert on edge. Normally, he would distance himself and let her tire herself out, but this time he would have to take the brunt of her fury.

The heat was spectacularly high today. Iggi wiped a hand across her brow to notice that her hand was dripping with warm sweat, “See this? Extra sweaty! That must mean that this is our day!” She announced joyfully.

“I’m not so certain Iggi. I mean this morning was a bit…” Bert replied cautiously.

“Nonsense! We just have to keep our heads up, and not let anything slow us down! Besides, all good things come from bad circumstances. Now we need to go over the list so that you know what to get.” She said as she rummaged through her bag looking for the list. Her eyes widened, her mouth dropped open, and a small shriek escaped her when she discovered that her list was not in her bag like she thought it was. She left it on her bedside table. Turning to her husband she spoke, “The list… It isn’t here.”

Bert looked at her devastated face about to break into tears and chuckled lightly as he replied, “H-Hey! The day isn’t over just yet so that good thing can still pop up… right?”

She looked at him for a short moment listening to his words again in her mind. They gave her a new resolve which lifted her spirit. She took a deep breath while rubbing her eyes, “Yeah. I remember what was on the list. All the important things anyway.”

Bert nodded in response. He placed a reassuring hand upon her knee causing a smile to paint her pretty face. The driver called them both to look up front. As they crested a hill, the giant volcano of Mount Phy was in their sights. At its base was Phyrior’s Hall, the capital city of the Firelands, shimmering in the distance like any mirage, but for the trained eyes they could tell the difference between hallucination and reality.

Iggi looked at the position of the sun in the sky. It was getting close to midday. She leaned over to the driver and asked him in desperation, “Can’t your salamander go any faster?”

“I’m sorry missy, but old Sally is exhausted. Waiting for you and your husband this morning in the rising heat put a lot of strain on her.” He turned back to keep an eye on the beast.

She sat back frustrated. They had already missed a few hours and needed to make up for it in every way possible. She saw how far to the city they were and made her plan around it. Darting towards Bert she spoke quickly as to draw his attention, “Alright listen, new plan. The moment the wagon crosses the bridge, we jump off, and then run the rest of the way to the city. We would make up more time that way. When we get to the gates, you head to your sister’s and grab the fruit we grew, while I head into the market to find us an empty stall. Once you have as many as you can carry, come and find me and we’ll go on from there! Got it?”

Sensing her energy. Bert gave a confident smile and nod as his answer. Both of their hearts were pounding now. She leaned back over to the driver and asked him to keep his wagon close to the city gates for when the day was over. He grunted his understanding. The bridge was growing near.

She took a deep breath and then leapt over the side immediately running as her feet touched the sand. Bert was following close behind but quickly gained a lead over her. The heat of Lucky Sweat Day quickly proved itself to be present. The sweat falling off of her various body parts was enough to fill a large pond. Her clothes clung to her skin as if it was her own skin. Annoyed by them, she ripped her long sleeves off of her arms, and then tore her tunic at the legs off as well. The rush of the wind as she ran helped to cool her down.

Bert was well into the city by the time she reached the gates. Spending no time to catch a breath, she hurriedly walked in the direction of the general market. Her panting and ripped clothes attracted many concerned eyes. Some of them tried to inquire about her health but she brushed them away. She was not going to allow anything else to make her lucky day worse.

The sounds of arguing voices, exotic birds and animals, and jingling coin sacks helped to guide her towards the market. On Lucky Sweat Day the market expanded into the nearby streets. She had to squeeze through several crowds just to reach the centre before she could start looking for a stall. Everywhere she looked it was packed with merchants and buyers but no empty stalls. Bert walked up behind her carrying a large sack and looking equally exhausted with his pure red face, “Find a place?”

She shook her head frantically and took the sack from his hands, “No, but I am not going to let that stop us!”

She pushed through a crowd to make her way to the well that marked the centre of the market. Once she was standing beside it, she reached into the sack and pulled out a coal fruit grown from her farm, then stood on top of the edge of the well, and then proceeded to add her shouts among the turbulence of voices, “Fresh coal fruit! Get yer crispy delicious coal fruit right here!”

Coal fruits are a commodity found only in the Firelands. Its skin is dry and crunchy like the skin of burnt meat, but on the inside it is warm, sweet and juicy. It earned its name from the glowing red streaks that made it appear as if it was a burning coal. To grow it requires diligence and constant attention. Bert and Iggi were one of the only farmers to grow it commercially since the others preferred to grow things that were certain to grow without complications.

For the past month their harvest was the biggest it had been in a long, long while. If they were able to sell at least half of it, they could buy the supplies they need as well as expand their farm to grow more crops. This is why Iggi planned ahead meticulously.

A few curious eyes came over to inspect the quality of the fruit. When they walked on without buying one fruit, she berated them, “Alright, walk on then! Your loss!”

Bert was beneath her personally talking to some onlookers to try get them to buy. His charisma and smart sounding words often persuaded minds into buying. But today business was looking better than usual thanks to the dangerous combination of sweet words and promiscuous sweaty clothing. A lot of the customers were not even trying to haggle. Iggi connected eyes with her husband and they shared a hopeful smile together. Bert then looked at her transparent clothes and panicked trying to bring her off the well.

However their smiles quickly faded away when a large man called out to them. He was dressed  in the garb of the city barracks; a red turban, an orange silk tunic with metal plate armour on the shoulders, a sword at his hip, and brown boots. On his shoulder was a fiery bird that breathed smoke. As he approached, the bird shifted its form into a large lizard in a blaze of red flames. Seeing the guard with an elemental crouched on his shoulder alerted Iggi to his skills in magic. He raised his voice so that the couple could hear him over the crowd, “What’s this now?”

Iggi hopped off the well and stood by the side of her husband as he answered, “Just selling some coal fruit sir. No harm done.”

“Your lady’s clothes are a little too indecent. I can’t have her on display like that in public, you hear? Also you two should know the rules: no stall, no business. I have to ask that you move elsewhere.”

Iggi stepped forward to reply, “Yes sir we understand, but we aren’t doing no harm and we’re selling our stuff just like everyone else. It shouldn’t matter where we sell it, now should it?”

“I’m sorry ma’am but rules are rules and I have to keep ‘em. I understand that today is a big today, but you’re causing a ruckus for everyone else here. People are crowding around the well and, as a result, other people can’t enter the market.”

The couple looked around. The guard was right. There was a street close to the well on the south side, and the crowd looking to buy had spilled over into that street creating a blockade.

The guard continued speaking while they looked around, “Now normally, I would have to confiscate your goods, but seeing how it’s Lucky Sweat Day I’ll give you a pass. But those people have a right to come here just as you do. Move along.” He then ordered the rest of the crowd to disperse.

The two stood still paralysed by despair. Bert looked inside their sack and turned to Iggi, “Come on. We still have loads more to sell.” His assertive display gave her a little more composure. She nodded her head and followed him down the South Street. Far off from the market centre did they find a stall to set up shop. It was very far actually. Almost all of the attention was diverted away from them because they were so far. Only the occasional passerbys came down to their street, and wild children playing with each other.

The sun was close to setting when she turned to look at Bert and spoke, “No one is coming. How many did we sell?”

He mumbled in reply, “Only seven. Out of thirty-three.”

She sighed and spoke again, “Let’s call it then. Take the rest back to your sister. Tell her that she can have a few and then give the rest to the orphanage. I’ll go get the stuff we can afford.”

He wrapped his arms around her in a comforting embrace. He gave her several reassuring words and ended with, “I’ll meet you at the gates then.”

She slowly made her way down the street, her positive attitude defeated. Normally, a merchant would just sell his wares the following day, but they did not have that luxury. Back home was more coal fruits and livestock that required daily attention, and hiring a wagon everyday to travel back and forth would be too expensive. They were limited to travelling on days of full moons or the odd Lucky Sweat Day that shortly followed, but time and time again they were met with the lowest of luck possible, unable to sell more than a dozen fruits. Enough to survive but not enough to live.

She held all thirty-five silvers in her hand and pondered all the items and supplies they needed, weighing them by priority. She noticed a sign pointing in the direction of a blacksmith and so turned left into an alley for a short cut.

The alley was dark and she did not see the leg sprawled out in front of her, and she ended up falling fast towards the ground. She shrieked and quickly returned to her feet fearing she was under attack. What she saw was the complete opposite. In front of her was a small child no older than five years, clutching his own legs in fear, and completely riddled with dirt. His face was covered in soot and dirt, and his hair was oily and parts of it were standing on ends as if something exploded in front of his face. Cuts, bruises, and shredded clothing painted his body like a viciously cruel portrait. His expression was part fury and part fear from being rudely awakened by Iggi.

Once she realised the situation did she calm down. She looked at the frightened boy and spoke softly, “Hello little one. Are you lost? Did you lose your mamma and papa while playing?”

He looked at her in a mix of fear and confusion, and replied by simply shaking his head. His posture began to relax only after she spoke.

She looked at him a while longer. The realisation came charging towards her as she noticed the location around them and the array of scars and bruises. She sadly asked him, “You don’t have a mamma or papa, do you?”

A slow and sad nod was her reply.

She felt like it was her responsibility to help in some way. Looking down the alley she wondered if there was a bakery nearby. She looked back towards him and spoke, “Stay here. I’ll go get you some food, okay?”

She continued down the alley and looked left and right to see if there was a place for her to get something to eat. Fortunately, there was a small bakery on the left. She approached the shop and ordered two loaves of bread. She was not willing to haggle the price of seven silvers even though she felt it to be a little exorbitant.

She paid the baker his price and returned to the boy with two warm loaves in her arms. The smell of it caused his stomach to growl tremendously. He leapt at the loaves in her arms and wolfed the first causing him to choke a bit. She snatched the loaf back and ordered him, “Not too fast now or you’ll choke! Eat it slowly now.”

He nodded to her slightly, and began to rip pieces off before munching them down. Seeing him eat brought a little smile on her face. At least it is someone’s lucky day.

She wished that she could do more to help him, but she knew that she needed to use the rest of the money to buy supplies for the farm. It was what Bert would have done. She gave him one large smile before leaving him alone in the alley.

The boy remained in her mind all the way to the blacksmith. Even when the smithy spoke to her, she was too distracted to respond to him. She was able to snap back and order the hoe Bert needed. But almost immediately after, her mind drifted again. The smithy’s voice sounded as if he was far off over the horizon shouting out into the sky. She was holding out her palm with the silver which the smithy eyed greedily. Her eyes however, were looking in the direction of that alley.

Suddenly she closed her hand and started marching off from the blacksmith back towards the alley. She sharply turned the corner, her stomps alerting the boy to her return. His eyes were wide with shock. His mouth was full with bread which he nearly spat out from the sudden noise. She crouched right in front of him and spoke, “Look, this is no place for a child like yourself to sleep in, and quite frankly you could use a bath. So how about you come with me and I get you some new clothes, cook a proper dinner for you, give you a hot bath, and have you sleep in a real bed for once?” 

Her sudden and fierce attitude only added to the boy’s shock. He crawled back out of fear, but while she was speaking he shifted closer to her. When she finished speaking, he was only able to look at her in surprise. He opened his mouth to reply but he was only able to say a shaky, hoarse, and soft, “O-okay.”

His answer brought a smile that could tug at the heart of stone. Her eyes started to well up with tears. She wiped them away before holding out her hand for him to take. He hesitantly accepted it and started to stand on his shaky legs. Iggi held him at the elbow to keep him steady.

When they came out from the alley, several people kept their distance. They watched in awe and disgust as Iggi guided the small boy to a stall that sold silk. The man running the store covered his nose and averted his eyes from the pair in front of him. She showed him the money in her hand which he snatched from her immediately, and then threw some old silk sleeves back at her. 

She guided the boy away from the stall and started to change his clothes. Looking at his bare skin scared her more than anything else. His skin was deep red and blistered in some places. She hurriedly walked back to the silk man to ask for some of her money back so that she may purchase some medicine. Seeing her approach, the man yelled at her to leave, telling her that he did not want a plague. She cursed at him before taking the boy by hand and walking with him to the gates.

Bert was standing idly waiting for her, but when he saw the companion walking with her, he closed the distance between them and spoke, “Iggi, what are you doing?”

“He has no nowhere to go and no one to take care of him.” She replied defensively.

“What about the orphanage? They could have taken care of him!” His voice was rising as he spoke.

“Look at him, Bert! He can’t afford to wait for the orphanage to find him.” She raised her voice to match his.

“And we can help him?! We don’t have any money to take care of him, to feed him, and clothe him!”

She chuckled nervously before answering, “Well about that… These are new clothes, and I bought him some food earlier. Besides, we live on a farm. We can share our food with him.”

He stuttered in sheer disbelief unable to form a whole sentence. Eventually he spoke back, “And what about us, huh?! We needed that money for supplies so that we could grow more food!”

She could not think of anything else to say. All she could say was, “Just look at him. He needs me. He needs us.”

He looked down to the boy hiding behind her legs. Seeing his dirty face caused something to stir deep within Bert. It started to fight with his reason. The struggle voiced itself with him stuttering some more. Eventually he sighed and looked into Iggi’s eyes before nodding his consent to her. She smiled back and kissed him lightly on his lips.

Together they walked over to the wagon from this morning. Iggi lifted the child onto the wagon while Bert argued with its driver about prices and passengers. With a promise of paying later in the future, the wagon driver agreed to take them back to their farm. Bert jumped in and joined his wife in the back who was cradling the scared child on her lap. The sun was now dipping down into the horizon causing the world to glow colours of fire. Some distant dark storm clouds dotted the sky as the smoke of the world.

Watching the sky slowly burn away into darkness, Bert asked, “Does he have a name?”

She looked down at the boy now sleeping in her arms and answered, “I’m not sure.”

Shifting closer to her, he spoke again, “Should we give him one?”

She thought hard for several moments unsure of what to answer him with. Her head tilted up to the far off storm clouds busy brewing. Watching them roil among themselves gave her some time to think about an answer. She looked back down to the child and spoke, “Zane. We’ll call him Zane.

0