Chapter 4 – Reflecting Alone
2.5k 14 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
I'm trying to upload the chapters a few hours of distance from eachoter, just to see if it helps with spreading to people in different timezones

The gentle breeze gently rushes past a certain flying Harpy, although usually sighted in atleast duos... This one, has had a certain eventful day. Now, as she's flying though, the adrenaline from the fight slowly wears off, reminding to the girl of her near death experience, the axe that easily cut through the archer's body and how closely it came to her own, an event which probably could have put an end to her adventure, and her life as a whole probably considering not only what level she was, but the Rage effect the barbarian probably was using. 

Considering all of that her mind starts racing through what she'd do now. She already knew her first goal, a river or lake, considering her lack of water and general food, she had never hunted in the past but she'd have to make do, not expecting her next meal to be served by a kind Uber driver passing by or the street grandma. No, right now she was a monster, and a hunted one at that. 

Suddenly however the Harpy seems to start to lose the rhythm of flight, with doubts brewing in her mind the flapping of wings starting to become more frequent, utilizing more manage just to stay aflot. Her worries were concerning to her, and they were regarding the party of two she 'defeated', thinking back to it, why were there just two of them? And if they were so stealthy she couldn't notice them, what if there was someone more stealthy amongst them? 

Ariara's doubts only get worse as she thinks more about it, in the MMOJRPG fantasy videogames she played, a kind of MMOs she didn't even know existed a bit of time ago, the usual party included a thief with a mage or archer and frontline... 

The coat soaked in blood and pouch start to get gripped tighter as the Harpy starts to lose altitude without even noticing, her whole world sinking as the livid thoughts of whole armies of adventurers rising on the horizon terrify her mind, she was a coldblooded murderer, humans would never accept her again when they'd know what she had done... Right? 

But right as those thoughts clouding her mind are climaxing something catches her eyes, and while if it was literally she'd be screaming, instead Ariara the murderer sees something that rather eases her mind; between trees seeing a string of water, hidden away by the thick folliage of branches and leaves, which at closer glance seem to be strangely bigger than those of trees further from the water. 

The Harpy confirms this with an even closer glance as she descends, definetly noticing a not so small difference between normal trees and these trees standing on the edge of the water, and while getting to ground level she notices something even stranger, on these trees seem to be weird kinds of... Fruits?

The fruits mostly seem to be Orange, about the size of half a feather in length and a third in the other dimension... Ariara judges, considering herself the bizzare estimates to be wrong. Not really interested more than that Ariara instead notices something more important, there being another color of them, their yellow counterpart growing on the same trees, her instinctively thinking them being the not so grown counterpart as they're mostly smaller, exceptions existing amongst all of the trees the Harpy lands near.

Dropping the big cloak near the river and putting the pouch on it to weigh it down the monster crouches, starting to drink from the river stream, the thirst she's had up until now only really weighing in now, the Harpy gulping down multiple times before moving away, a bit satisfied with the water she walks up to a tree, looking up at the fruits before opening her sheet, wondering what her current status would be. 

Ariara the Harpy

Level 3 (24/30 EXP)

30/34 Hp
2/22 Mana

Skills
Bird of Many Feathers (LVL 1) - Colorful Harpy (LVL 1) - Fire Starter (LVL 1) - Self Pluck (LVL 1) Flight (LVL 2) - Rage (LVL 1) - Harpy Eye (LVL 1)

Titles
General of Warfare - Traveler of Worlds - Reincarnated One - High Ranker - Opportunist

The Harpy hums lightly at her sheet, changes were starting to turn her sheet into a bigger pop up and she was kinda happy with it expanding, wondering if there was a limit to how many skills she could have. However something more important catches her eyes, her Flight skill had leveled up, from 1 to 2. This was, of course, a pleasant surprise, although it meant she didn't get notifications or something similar when new skills appeared or leveled up it meant her flying would possibly be more calm, or take less mana. The mana issue was also a problem, although at this moment she doesn't notice the maximum mana expanding she does notice her current mana having shrunk to 2, a number she wasn't very comfortable with considering her abilities mostly required mana, and if she met a foe now she'd be mostly defenseless. 

Moreover, this also confirmed that she possibly couldn't fly at the moment, something she was hoping to be able to, it would have definitely been helpful for getting those fruits hanging so high up because of these trees being of an abnormal size. 

As she's hatching a plan to get food her Harpy Eyes skill seems to activate again as her eyes dart to a not so nearby bush, about three trees away poking just out of a bush is what appears to be a bunny, but on the front of it's head a star mark has in it's center what looks to be quite a sharp horn, some kind of liquid on it, probably residues from stabbing something, warranting the name that comes to the head of Ariara when spotting the creature, a Horned Rabbit. 

As soon as it's spotted however the Rabbit immediately dissapears, proving to be very quick on it's legs the animal rushes away in the direction opposite of the hungry Harpy, not that she was considering trying to hunt it. With her abilities she highly doubts at the moment she could defeat it, considering her encounter with the two humans was barely won because of luck on her side and miscommunication on theirs an agile opponent like that bunny would probably stab her fastly before she could aim an attack, after which it'd probably go wide.

Putting aside the thoughts of the weird Horned Rabbit running away Ariara wonders about the future, clearly she couldn't just live alone in the middle of nowhere, she'd go crazy from her line of perspective, going from a civilized civilization to living in the woods alone would be mind breaking for a social animal like humans, then again, she wasn't one anymore. Following her past train of thought however if she was going to find civilization someway, her chances would be best following the river, whether it be Humans or maybe even Harpies everyone needed water to survive... Right? 

Deciding on this logic the Harpy starts following the river, since she needed to wait anyways for her mana to regenerate and the trees lined all along the river it'd be best to start walking and see wherever it takes her, picking an apple when she can. 

Would you prefer speech to be described or written in not understandable characters?
  • Described, it feels more natural Votes: 56 28.7%
  • Written, it makes it more understandable Votes: 35 17.9%
  • Both depending on lenght Votes: 104 53.3%
Total voters: 195
79