Chapter 2: Phoenix
56 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before I leave for the academy, I made sure that I had packed everything up and ready.

I don't want to waste another mere second in this place when it's time to leave. 

The things I experienced here... It's difficult to explain how sufferable just this place is.

I packed up everything I owned here, especially my journal in which I wrote everything about my dream. All his life adventures and even his magic. 

I have jotted down every single magic spells he has created into this journal.

If I were to sell this journal to an auction, it will gone up to 1 million gold pieces at least.

That's just how valuable this journal will be if it's known to the public.

As far as I'm concern about losing this journal, thankfully all the Sage's magic were difficult to learn. So, it won't be useful unless that person knows how to utilize all of the spells.

However, I still put a countermeasure. I only wrote the name of the magic and the details of the said magic. 

Therefore, the journal would be like it's a magic encyclopedia for others. Then, it will be impossible for them to learn the Sage's magic even further.

Thankfully, although I managed to learn only basic spells, this dream helps me to learn those. Without them, it's impossible

Though, it cost me a month or two to learn just one basic spell.

"Light."

As soon as I casted it, a light appear upon my hand. It shone brightly inside the dark cupboard. 

Inside the cupboard, a small chest was hiding from plain sight. I brought it out and placed it onto the bed.

I slowly opened the small chest with a special key. Within it, there's a small pin emblem embedded inside.

A phoenix bird. 

This pin was given to me at last year masquerade ball by someone.

I still remember what he spoke to me while wearing his mask.

"Shall you find me and return me this, I'll grant you a wish."

Then, he walked away after giving me this pin while I sat there in confusion. Before I came back, he had already disappear.

I looked at the phoenix and brushed the dust on it. He said if I bring this back to him, he will fulfill whatever I wish...

I can only hope it's true. Because, there's something I want to do before I leave this castle. 

Because today, after a year of waiting, I can finally meet this person once and for all. 

After all, I want to use this chance till it lasts.

I took out the embedded pin from the chest and hid it within my hidden pocket. That is inside my vest.

I grabbed the journal and placed it inside the chest. I slowly closed down the chest and locked it with the special key.

Seeing that I have done everything I should, the only thing left to do is to hide the chest and go find that masked person.

Usually, a royal member needs permission to leave the castle. A royal member has to be accompanied by three to five guards when going outside as a precaution so that they won't be easily kidnapped or killed. 

Though, it wasn't the case with me at all.

Considering that I have no need for a permission and no guards wanted to accommodate me, I suppose they don't see me exactly as a prince.

Well, I don't really find myself to be a prince also.

So, I boldly left the castle with no guards alongside me. 

Instead, all what follows me was the wretched glares from the servants. 

I senses also some pitiful glimpses on me but it's only glimpses.

I hate those people the most...

After I have walked far enough away from the castle, I reached out to my left pocket and brought out a talisman. 

On the talisman, there's a runic word on it.

[ᛏᛖᛚᛖᛈᛟᚱᛏ]

I immediately ripped it apart and suddenly, my body feel weakened but I was used to it. 

I closed my eyes as I waited.

A few seconds later, I opened my eyes again and appeared in a foreign place. 

I looked to my right and saw the usual tree. On the tree, there's a talisman similar to the talisman I ripped apart before.

As you can see it, this talisman can bring someone to a place far away without taking a single step. 

This talisman was created by a friend of the Sage. He called this "Teleportasi". Though, he should have known that the word teleportation does exist. 

Like I said before, this teleportation talisman can transport someone across space and distance instantly. However, it would require a set place to teleport. 

Hence, you need two or more talisman to use it.

Though, the Sage's friend didn't need to do such thing since he managed to utilized this ability to its limit. 

Gaining enlightenment, he has this ingenious idea to make his own body become a talisman.

The Sage found it endearing and wanted to research it. But, he only manage to make the required talisman to teleport to two only. 

While he find it interesting making your own body a talisman, he doesn't want to make his own body like one. 

Since a talisman can be used by everyone who has mana, won't that made himself be usable to others as well?

It seems the Sage knew of this weakness and once thought of using it if the day comes. 

Then, one day, the Sage was angered to the point he teleported his friend to the middle of the Seven Devilish Seas. 

Reason?

Well, his friend used his identity to flirt with a renowned Demon Princess and escaped when he was found out by the Demon King. 

The Demon King then went to find the Sage and fought with each other until they found out the truth.

So, the Sage came out with an evil plan. 

While the Sage teleported him to the Seven Devilish Seas, the Demon King will wait on the other side and tortured the Sage's friend to his liking.

Since then, the friend became more aware of the Sage and tried not be on his bad side.

Looking at the talisman, I would always remember this part of the Sage's life. The Sage's dream would always keep me entertained with his group of eccentric friends. They never cease to amaze me.

Watching my surrounding, I smoothly pasted another teleportation talisman and ripped out the old one.

Each set has only one usage. The better the paper, the more usage you will have. Since I only have a basic quality paper, I can only teleport once.

After firmly attaching the talisman onto the tree, I slowly walked down the stairs.

Under this small hill, there's a town called Koutakina. A very flourishing town. 

Looking at the right side of the town, you could see the big castle erected majestically. 

The very big reason why Koutakina become a flourishing town.

Coincidentally, Koutakina was also the place where I will meet this person. 

I took out a piece of scrap paper from my pouch and read it. 

"The Dancing Kuuda."

"..."

It's probably an Inn...right? Considering the name after all.

I make my way down to the town to find the weirdly named inn. After searching for 30 minutes, that inn still couldn't be seen. 

"..."

Finding a hard to find inn for a rendezvous... Wouldn't that make it difficult for someone like me who rarely goes out? At least draw a map for me.

As I continue searching, I bumped into someone with a hooded cloak. 

We both make contact with each other's eyes and I can clearly see the seemingly tired red eyes.

Then, we parted ways like nothing had happen or so to speak.

I turned back at him and immediately held the man's shoulder tightly. The man obviously felt the pain on his shoulder. 

Grimaced, he turned and said to me angrily. 

"What do you think you're doing?"

I asked back the man with a sarcastic tone. 

"What do you think am I doing?"

The man grumbled and hastily said.

"I'm trying to get back and feed my children. Do you think I have time to deal with a fool?"

"While it seems you are dealing with a fool, I find myself dealing with a pickpocket. Care to explain that?"

"Are you saying that I am a thief?!"

I touched my ears as I said.

"Ouch, you don't have to shout that loud, old man."

That shout almost bursted my ears. With that shout alone, it managed to gain attraction towards us. 

A crowd started to slowly circle us both and the old man seems to find it helpful. 

The old man smirked and said.

"Are you saying that I steal your stuff? At which ground you dare to speak where I steal your stuff?"

Even though there's a crowd around us both, he would think it's going to pressure me. Though, I am not one who's going to back down.

I stood straight and looked at old man's tired eyes.

"Exactly this ground, old man."

The old man choked and pointed his finger at me.

"W-why you...!"

Even though the old man was angered by my words, that sentence did manage to get a laugh or two from the audience. 

The man forcibly held back his anger. Suddenly, he smiled and took out the pouch which he stole from me. 

"Are you saying this is your pouch I stole?"

Oho, it looks like he want to bait me into saying something. 

Probably, he wanted me to say along the lines of 'Yes, that's the pouch you stole from me' while in anger and this would all lead up to have me guessing what's inside the pouch. 

Well, I am not going to do what exactly on your plan.

"I never said it was a pouch though."

"W-what?"

The old man looked confused when I said it. Looking at him, the crowd encircling us starting to realize what's really happening.

Instead of a young man bullying an old man situation, it's a situation where a young man wanting to oust the pickpocket.

Seeing that the momentum is on me, I smirked and asked.

"Now whose pouch might that be?"

"O-of course, it's mine! Who else would own it?"

Bingo. You have fallen right into my trap.

Immediately, I asked.

"Oh? Then, without taking a peek inside that pouch of yours, try telling us what's inside?"

"K-kuh..."

"Is there something wrong? Since you are old and might have bad memories, I will give you a minute to guess."

"D-damn you!"

Oh look, he's trying to run away but with the crowd circling us, he won't be able to run far from me.

A mere moment later, he was brought down by a few upstanding citizens and brought him to the guards. 

Seemingly, I also got my pouch back.

I carefully hid the pouch well this time so it won't happen again. 

I tried to ask one of the guards regarding the location of the inn and said he has never heard of the inn before.

I was really crest fallen to hear that. Though, he did tell me something.

"If you want information about something, you should go find Leon in the inner slums. He knows everything about this city and also probably the inn you were talking about."

"Ah, thanks, Big Bro guard."

"You're welcome and try not to get yourself pickpocketed again. Although this place looks pretty clean, it's also crawling with dirty thieves."

I thanked him for the advice. It looks like I have to find this Leon guy to get to the inn.

Feeling motivated, so I decided to post another chapter.

2