CHAPTER 47: RAGING INSECURITY
70 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 47: RAGING INSECURITY

XENON WINGATE

2 YEARS AGO

The gigantic golden chandeliers lit up this very place. Right after entering the royal castle of Alterra, I have seen the place that can be called a real luxury. I have never been to grand parties like these before and seeing people with expensive tuxedos and glamorous evening gowns makes me feel out of place even though we’re wearing the very same thing. 

The sound of the violin’s songs soothes everybody’s ears. There is plenty of food on the table. I thought it was a private conference, but I found out that some dukes and even senators are invited to this royal gathering.

“Wooow… So pretty…” Serena muttered. Her eyes are sparkling, and the golden lights reflect on her crimson eyes.

Suddenly, a man on a royal suit met up with us. This gentleman is a mid-adult, with curly hazelnut hair and an innocent handsome face. He’s holding a wine on his hand. For some reason, his eyes are fixated on Serena. This is the part I feel insecure about.

“Oh, here you are! Glad that you showed up!” The man talked to Serena as if he’s a good friend with her. 

“Duke Corasell!” Serena smiled with joy. She immediately took the duke’s hand and shook it. “I am honored to meet you here!”

Tsk. This is pissing me off. I attended this party so that I can brag about my beautiful date to my ex-girlfriend, but my date is currently acting all so close with this random duke. So I gritted my teeth as I glared to this handsome dude. The duke noticed me, and instead of displaying fear, he just smiled innocently at me.

“Oh, so this is your dragon knight!” The duke said.

“Yes~” Serena politely bowed. Then, she turned to me in order to explain things. “Senpai, this is Duke Marcus Corasell. He is a congressman who is currently drafting the Dragonoid Rights Bill, which will be the answer to solve all the inequalities between humans and dragonoids.”

The duke bowed politely at me, with his hand on his chest. “I’m honored to meet a powerful dragon knight like you, Sir Xenon Wingate.”

“Likewise.” I briefly said with a poker face. 

Serena glared at me as if she’s about to punch me in the jaw for the cold welcome I gave to the duke. 

“Senpai, please be a little more polite,” Serena whispered to me. “He’s the man who will be the answer to all the conflicts in the world. If the Dragonoid Rights Bill becomes a law, it will end the conflicts between races. A dragonoid war will never happen again. I’m currently promoting his bill on my concerts and commercials, and she’s sponsoring my work and cause. So please…”

“I’m going straight to the table and eat. I’m starving.” I said. Then I immediately went out of the scene.

I sat on the table near the banquets, but I didn’t touch the food that is supposed to be our dinner. Right now, there are the only nachos as appetizers so I started to gulp on that as I drown myself in my own depression. But sitting on the table adjacent to the center of the hall is the worse thing I have done since I get to see the two people I hate the most.

Michael Eldritch and Marisse Trystgade are dancing at the center of this wide hall, their arm and leg movements flow like water, synchronizing the symphony of the acoustic violin. There’s is a permanent smile on their faces, and both bastards are all red as if they have fallen in love with each other for the millionth time. Right at this moment, I truly regret going here at the party.

To vent out my frustration, I chewed the nachos vigorously until it’s nothing but starch covering my tongue.

All of a sudden, my view on those two dancing bastards were blocked by a beautiful woman in the white-and-blue dress. She lent out her gloved hand at me and tilted her head with a smile and blush.

“Senpai, shall we dance?” Serena asked.

I rested my chin on my hand and turned away from my dragonoid as I continue to chew down the nachos. “Why won’t you dance with that duke over there?” I grumpily said.

“Huh?” Serena gasped. “Senpai… Are you in fact… jealous?”

“Nope. I’m pissed.” I said in a monotone.

“Hahaha!” Serena made a princess-like chuckle, but it’s quite louder than that. “Don’t worry, Duke Corasell is currently dancing with his wife. I’ll dance with him if he asks later, but for now… I want my first dance with you.”

Hearing Serena’s words removed the ache in my heart, so I’m quite in the mood to dance now. I looked at her sparkling eyes, which tells me that she is so eager to hold my hand. I intend to do that, so I reached to her soft-looking palm. But the moment our fingers touched, the violin music ended. And then there was some sort of announcement, signaling the end of the dance party. What a cockblock.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the conference between the royal families of Alterra and Elysia will now commence. Please proceed to your assigned tables and wait for the meal to be served.” 

I looked around the hall and saw my name ‘Sir Xenon Wingate’ on the very same long table where the royal families will seat. As I settle down, I also realized that I am now facing the fucking bastard Eldritch on the opposite side of the table. On the other hand, Serena is facing that damn bitch Marisse. The emperor of Alterra, Sirius Elkyria, is sitting at the center edge of the long table, making him look like the father of a family. I thought these talks are all about empires, but the way I’m faced with Eldritch and Trystgade makes this look like a compromise reunion.

“Ah! This is an ideal conference, eating in the very same dining table. It’s like a family reunion for brothers and sisters who have failed to see each other for a long time.” Michael fucking Eldritch said.  

Eldritch seems like he’s talking to me, but I didn’t answer. Instead, I started eating the roasted chicken on my plate. Even though the chicken meat is drowning with barbecue sauce, I couldn’t taste the flavor. My anger is so pent up that some of my bodily senses won’t send messages to my brain anymore.

“Let us now talk to the main issue at hand, Emperor Eldritch.” Emperor Elkyria said. “What is the purpose of your state visit?”

“It’s simple, your majesty,” Eldritch said after he put a bite-sized chicken slice to his mouth. “I am giving you an offer to join the United Human Nations. All I need is one condition: give Sir Xenon Wingate back to us.” 

I almost puked my meal. Everybody in this table was also awed with such a hilarious proposition. And I’m greatly pissed that he’s involved me on his ludicrous plan.

“That’s a stupid proposition, Emperor Eldritch.” Sirius Elkyria made a plastic laugh. “Joining the United Human Nations is blasphemy towards Alterra and its people. We are the strongest nation of all the four. Even if Elysia, Sargus, and Fleija join forces, they wouldn’t be able to take down Alterra.”

“That is why we wanted your nation to join,” Eldritch said with an adorable yet provoking smile. “Once all the human empires are united, the war between our kind will never happen again. Combined with the passage of Duke Corasell’s Dragonoid Rights Bill, we can certainly attain absolute peace in this world. No more war. No more conflicts. Just a happily ever after.”

Emperor Elkyria seemed convinced on all those words Eldritch unleashed, but he doesn’t have any trust in the one who is saying it. It is clearly shown on his face, as there are wrinkles popping up on his forehead.

“Your means and objectives might be flawless and good, but I do not trust you.” Emperor Elkyria said. “Besides, there is no way I can give a great asset to you. Sir Xenon Wingate swore his allegiance to Alterra. An exceptionally talented dragon knight like him has preserved the kingdom by winning the dragonoid war. I have heard that you have previously disavowed and executed him. Truly, he no longer has anything to do with you.”

“Indeed. Elysia has little need for heroes.” Eldritch said. “But, an emperor like me is in need of a best friend.”

This bastard! Fucking fucking fucking lies! What kind of best friend dishonor his friend’s name, kills his other friends, and cheats with his girlfriend!? This bitch even killed me! That’s it! This is enough! I’ll kill him, right here! This will end now! 

“Forge,” I whispered to myself. My left hand which is hidden below the table magically created a handgun with a poisonous bullet on its chamber. Normally, I wouldn’t be able to forge a complicated weapon like a gun, but my previous knowledge in constructing such a complex weapon, combined with my Avenger’s Wrath that enhances my magic, it is possible.

Serena heard my whisper, so she immediately took action. She held my hand with a painful hard grip. When I looked at my dragonoid, I saw her worried eyes and a frown. She shook her head, telling me that I shouldn’t do it.

"Senpai..." Serena shook her head.

But I… I will resist. I’ll kill Eldritch, and then Trystgade, and it will all be over.

All of a sudden, Emperor Elkyria talked, making me stop what I’m planning. 

“How about I change the terms for joining the United Human Nations? Alterra will join the organization, for a condition of surrendering us Doctor Cheng Du. That doctor has committed treason against my empire and committed war crimes. I have even heard that he sponsored the terrorist group Arcadia that destroyed my Vanilla City.” 

“That…” Eldritch frowned. “Is a no-no. Doctor Cheng Du is a great asset to my country. Just as much as you value Sir Xenon Wingate in Alterra, I value Doctor Cheng Du as an important person in Elysia. Besides, he is included in my plan in attaining world peace.” 

Emperor Elkyria smiled, but he doesn’t look like he’s happy. He just knew that Eldritch wouldn’t give a shit at his demands. “Then we’re done talking. This conference is over.” There is a fierceness in his voice.

“Nice talk with you, your majesty,” Eldritch said with a hidden sarcasm. “And oh, the Peace Treaty of Alterra and Elysia officially expires today.”

“Do not worry, your majesty Eldritch.” Emperor Elkyria matched the sarcasm. “I don’t have any intention of renewing that agreement.”

“Likewise.” Eldritch smiled.

And then, the dinner continued without much talking. Each and every person in this conference ball started eating as if they do not have special persons in this castle at all. The atmosphere became chillingly cold, but the tension is building up every second. 

Each eye is checking on each other, trying to find a flaw in their actions. It is at this moment where all person in this room is wary of a war that is about to come.

1