CHAPTER 133: SHATTERED DREAMS
138 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 133: SHATTERED DREAMS

XENON WINGATE

The sun is already setting, and the view of the orange sun descending towards the sparkling ocean's horizon makes this a picture-worthy place. The cathedral's upper balcony is the ideal place to watch this gorgeous happening, and I'm pretty sure she is already relaxing at that very place.

So I decided to come. At the edge of the terrace is the woman I love. Her long black hair dances as the afternoon breeze approach her, and her battle kimono sways in the same manner and direction. She tucked her side hair to her ear, and such action made it possible for me to have a glimpse of her beautiful face.

I mustered all the courage I got by inhaling lots of air, then I bravely took a step forward. On my second step, the woman I love immediately noticed my presence, and her golden-brown eyes looked at me with a tearful expression.

"Xen..." She made the most beautiful smile I have ever seen. The sunset lights made a bright and clear picture of her face.

"Serena..." I smiled back. As I approached and leaned towards the balcony beside her, I immediately initiated a topic. "It's a beautiful view, isn't it?"

"Yes." Serena giggled. "I never thought that this cathedral is in Alterra, a few miles before the Elysian border. Nobody has ever talked about this place before."

"Nor the Cathedral Exa. I have never stumbled upon books and reports telling that this place exists. I have read something about this place on some of my father's reports, but little is known to them. Never did anybody know that Vesryn resides here and still exists to watch this world."

There were a few seconds of silence. I looked at Serena, and her eyes are reflecting the glitters of the ocean. The sun slowly faded until it looked like it finally submerged itself to the horizon.

"Will the people be okay?" Serena bowed as she muttered.

It's been a month since we last fought the Elder Ancientech Dragon and Ampherius Deo, and we never left this cathedral. Vesryn said that we should stay a week more to monitor Serena's vitals since she just got revived from the dead using the Dragonoid Resurrection Ritual. I was also being monitored by the Gate Guardian and the Archon about traces on my Curse of Necross. So far, Serena and I are getting better with no signs of having any bad news.

"They will be okay." I said, "I've received reports about the four nations now quickly rebuilding while helping each other. Elysia is now controlled by a council, and they are yet to choose a new emperor to guide them. Emperor Elkyria is also working hard to fix Eldritch's mess. And Duke Corasell's Dragonoid Rights Bill will now have its last hearing before it gets passed. The world is safe now that the Psychic Amplifier technology has completely been lost. No Eye of Deus exists, except for Vesryn of course."

"Eh?" Serena tilted her head at me. "You seem to be enthusiastic about telling the good news about the world. Usually, you would be like 'I don't care if this world becomes hell as long as I can get my revenge! Cheng, Trystgade, Eldritch, they must die!' or something like that. Ehehe~"

I'm surprised that Serena can do sarcasm while being adorable at the very same time. That caught me off-guard and left me with my jaws hanging.

"W-Well..." I scratched my head as I tried to formulate words that would work on this woman. "Those three bastards are dead now, so there's no reason for the world to burn. Besides... this is our world now."

"Our world... huh..." 

Serena was drowned on her own thought as she looked up in the skies. The darkness of the night has dominated the space, and there's little to no clouds in the atmosphere. From here, we can now see the twinkling stars, and they looked brighter than usual for the reason that there's no light source coming from our cathedral. It's now all-natural without light pollution, and all the colors in the dark night can be seen in full gorgeousness.

I glanced at Serena and scratched my head. Serena seemed preoccupied with the glowing stars that she forgot that we have this awkward silence. While she's off-guard, I mustered the courage I got to hold her hand.

Everything is different when I'm holding her hand without our battle gloves. The skin on our palms shares a deep connection even if we're no longer bound by the Vesryn Pulse. I can feel sparks, her heartbeats, and even her magical energy running on every cell of her body. Her warmth makes me feel at ease and joy.

Serena blushed, but she tried not to make it obvious by making a remark. "Xen, your hands feel a lot warmer now. It's no longer cold like ice."

"It's because the love overflowing from your heart gave me warmth," I said the punchline with a cool smile on my face.

To her surprise, I knelt down and genuflected to the Dragon Queen. Gently caressing her right hand with my left, I used my right hand to draw a little black box from my back pocket. Slowly, I opened it and revealed something that I have been working hard to achieve: the most expensive white magical crystal on a ring made out of diamonds. 

"X-Xen...!!!" Serena gasped for air as she could no longer suppress her feelings. Her face went full red and I felt her pulse getting more intense. "Wha... a... what is this-"

"Oh glorious heir to the throne of dragons, I wanted to express my feelings for you. For years, I have been searching for the things I have lost, never realizing that all that I have been looking for is with me the whole time. When I lost my friends, you were there to accompany and support me. When I lost my honor, you became my power to achieve a grateful title of a dragon knight. When I lost my love, you were there to become the princess of my life. When I lost my life, you were there to keep my heart revived." 

"Xen..." Serena is on the verge of crying, but she's trying hard to prevent it.

"...When I lost my world, you were there to make a paradise out of my miserable life. Serena Maizono, the most beautiful dragonoid in existence and heir to the throne of dragons; I gladly offer my life to be your sword and shield. I will be your knight in shining armor and pledge to protect you in any danger that may come. Serena, let's go back to Elysia and start our lives anew... together."

I inhaled a lot of air to keep my heartbeat stable until I asked out the final question I've been meaning to ask her.

"Will you promise to marry me?"

There were about ten seconds of silence. I think Serena is having a dumbstruck expression right now as if she's confused if she should feel in love or not. After the seconds of awkwardness, Serena immediately burst out laughing.

"Pfffft! Ahahahaha! X-Xen, what are you saying!?" Serena cried.

"What?" I tilted my head while completely frozen.

"W-What's with that proposal!? Should it be 'Will you marry me?' instead of 'Will you promise to marry me?' Xen-senpai, you're such a weirdo!" Serena said and then she continued her hysterical laugh. She laughed for thirty seconds as if she can't get over it.

I actually waited until she calmed down and stopped laughing because she might not hear my reason if she's busy. So when she finally settled down, I was able to explain my reasons... with a blush on my face of course.

"W-Well..." I turned away trying to hide my embarrassed face, trying to act full tsundere. "We both know that I suck at making promises. I've made a lot of broken pledges to you, and I'm afraid to break a promise this time. So that's why... that's why... I'm asking you to promise to marry me..."

"Pffffft! Ahahahaha!!!" 

Serena continued her laugh again. This time, it lasted for about two or three minutes. For that point in time, my arms and legs are already tired of being in a genuflected position for so long. I never would have thought that this marriage proposal would take a couple of minutes just before I could get a proper answer from her.

When Serena noticed that I'm getting tired of her shit, she immediately grabbed my arms and forced me to stand up. I thought I was rejected but she suddenly snatched the beautiful ring from my hand without answering a simple Yes or No question. Serena examined all sides of the engagement ring as her laugh slowly faded.

"..." 

I just stood there in silence.

Serena looked at me, and then to the ring, and then to me, and then to the ring. She then gave this "Hmph!" turning-away-her-head expression as if she's playing hard to get.

"What?"

"Xen, you knew that if I take your offer, my career would immediately fall down. Pop stars like me should stay single in order to maintain my status. I could never support the Dragonoid Rights Bill if I'm no longer that famous. And also, if I live with you back in Elysia, it would be tantamount to me leaving my claim to the throne of the Dragon Queen. You know that I'll leave all my dreams behind if I marry you, right?"

I lost strength on my shoulders, and my arms hanged. Serena really pointed out all the things that I failed to recognize. I'm such an idiot. I should've waited for a better time and place for this proposal to happen. And now that I have done it, rejection and defeat is the only thing I can accept.

"So it's a no, then..." I frowned. I swear I would like to cry.

"No." Serena happily said.

My heart is completely broken. Without any strength, I slowly turned my foot and prepared to leave...

But then...

Serena immediately caressed my cheeks and drove her face towards mine. With her soft and gentle lips, we kissed with sincerity and all the feelings we had together for the times we shared. And after that kiss, Serena happily presented her delicate hand which is now wearing the engagement ring.

"I'm just kidding. If leaving my dreams and vision to the world is the price I will pay to marry you, then so be it."

"Serena..." 

My eyes twinkled as I cried. I finally saw Serena's smile as the sign for our happy ending together. When she opened her mouth to talk, I knew that this would be the best thing I will ever get at the end of my adventure.

"Because I know, Xen... I know you are worth it."

1