Chapter 6: Unbowed & Backstory
407 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ugh, I don’t want to deal with another self-important person today”

“You know that’s just his character.”

“Fair.”

“Go put on your clothes. I’ll keep them here.”

“Got it.” I took off while my girlfriend’s hair and eyes started thundering. I got dressed extremely quickly again and was out just in time for a rip to appear in the air.

Unbowed and his red-headed friend, Nel, both walk through the portal, Nel is shocked to see me covered in black veins and with bloodshot eyes, until she looks at what I did to the military dudes.

“The file of everything they had on us to do this mission is over there.” I pointed to the coffee table that surprisingly left this encounter unscathed. “Can you take these people out of here? I don’t feel like babysitting kidnappers. Or cleaning blood off the carpet” A little intimidation is in order here “Though they do look quite tasty.”

“A young lady like you shouldn’t be saying things like that.”

Urgh. This is why I dislike Unbowed. “I’m a vampire, it’s what I do.”

He picks up the file and Nel opens up a portal to his office, he sets the file on his desk then walks back through. “So these are kidnappers from Yelmorn?”

“Yep. The file told me that, at least.”

“Got it, well, I’ll do a bit of investigating before trying anything rash on my end, sadly I cannot carry these guys all through a portal on my own.”

“Just open a portal and I’ll make it quick. I don’t care if they get knocked around. Oh, they also have a car parked out front if you want to bring that somewhere to study.”

“No, you can deal with that how you wish. It probably has a tracker or some gimmick on it.”

“Got it.” Nel opens a portal to some place that looks like a prison cell

I grab each annoying muffled-screaming military dunce and toss them in there separately “There. Annoying bastards are gone. Phew.”

“Would you like me to dispose of the guns as well?”

“No, I have a plan for those.”

“Call me again if similar things happen.” He leaves through yet another portal that Nel opens

Nel quickly hands me a business card “If you want to get transportation, call me. Though you’ll have to book it.” She then leaves through the portal.

From here I moved quickly and ran back out to the van, shattered anything that could have a camera or could be one, then I flipped it and placed several fist-shaped dents in it. One of my neighbors raises a questioning eyebrow at me.

“Kidnappers tried to bust into my house. This is the van they were going to try and use. It’s all okay now though.” He nods and leaves off to bed. The neighbors here generally couldn’t give a rat’s ass. For final effect I scratched ‘Try again?’ into the side of the car. I then returned inside the house, drank another hock of beef and swigged strong coffee.

I started working on my suit again, but this time I decided against the jacket and all the covering of my body, because my abilities had been figured out already, it was time to try and get all the flexibility with a bit more kick to my skills. 

While I’m working on this project, it’s probably best to explain how me and unbowed met.

Before the second Emergence I had been up north for a weekend due to a heat wave hitting texas. I stayed up there, where I had found a bar that seemed to accept emerged customers. I went in and immediately the gruff bartender lady said “We don’t serve drinks to minors”

“What about a vampire that is really damn thirsty? Well, actually I kinda just wanted to relax out of the sun for a bit.” I slapped my ID from before the emergence on the table bar. “I got turned into a vampire by the emergence. I won’t age even if a decade passes.”

“Alright, if you want a drink I’ll make it. But seriously? A vampire?”

I give her a toothy grin that shows off my fangs “Yep. A vampire. A daywalking one, no less.”

“Pff, can you be any more obvious with your identity, ms. Daywalker?” She snorts at my talking.

“I’m just here to enjoy the atmosphere and not deal with the heatwave hitting texas. Heat makes me thirstier, and a thirsty vampire does not make a good hero. Also Villains in the corner, I’m not that sun-lady with the stick up her ass or the captain america wannabe, you can untense your muscles. I can practically hear your muscles clenching.” I hear a laugh from a certain drunk wolf-lady

“As long as you don’t ‘disturb the atmosphere’ as you put it or fuck up my furniture, you’re fine by me. ‘Names Barb.” Tattooed lady said

“May, it’s a pleasure.”

“Just May?”

“I haven’t gotten around to getting a new last name figured out.”

“Ah, got ya.”

She returns to talk to some big man in the corner while I just relax my head in my hand for a bit. Eventually the big man from earlier looks like he’s trying to catch my attention so I walk to him.

“Yes? If you’re a villain, look dude I could not give a shit less right now.”

“That’s why I called you over here. You don’t seem to care if someone’s a villain or not.”

“If I catch you do something immoral or fucked up I’ll stop you, but if you want to fuck over some terrible people then I really couldn’t care. You seem the second type, if my intuition is correct”

“Your intuition is, and I’m currently investigating a certain company for kidnapping people and emerged, to do unscrupulous tests and generally ‘fucked up’ things. Call me if you find anything or something happens to you relating to a company called ‘Yelmorn’” He then handed me a business card. “Also, if you feel like it I can introduce you to a tailor, if I might, your costume looks a bit… erm.”

“It looks poverse, I know, I’m gonna get around to updating it after a while, I just want to stick with it until my being a vampire is widely known, then I’m probably going to wear something that allows for more movement.”

“Ah, so you prefer making your own, well, anyways, if you change your mind, his name is Tinker Tailor. Give me a call if you want an introduction.”

“Will do. Now, I’m sorry, but if you’ll excuse me?” He waves me off and I walk back to my lone seat at the bar to listen to the mediocre musician in the corner.

I ended up spending most of both of my days up north in Limbo, as they called it. That sentence sounds funny.

11