Chapter 9: Interview
362 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day after that incident, despite Jen's warnings that if I do any hero work today I would not get head scritches, I went out with my mask on to retrieve my wayward limbs. I stopped by and saw police tape.

"Daywalker? You were here when the fight happened between you and that strength villain. Can you tell me where or who these came from?"

He points to my leg and arm that were ripped off of me. It seems they don't decay quickly.

"Those would be mine. The big guy ripped them off me and chucked me through that wall. Gods that was painful now that I think about it."

"Hmn. I'm sorry, but I can't believe that you simply lost these two and turned up the next day perfectly fine."

I just grabbed my wrist, twisted it all the way around, and then held it up, my hand hanging loosely in the skin.

"Watch."

"Eugh, I'd rather not."

"This is the easiest way to prove it."

The hand already started twisting itself back, and then it retracted back on to my wrist.

"See?"

"So you have regeneration abilities. Huh."

"Yep. I need my boot and glove back, so if I could just grab them from you..."

"Oh, sure, no problem." He looks at my hand and then the hand of the removed arm. "Yep. They match."

I quickly grabbed the boot and glove off them and said "Thanks, I'm sorry, but I'm off duty today. Something about losing an arm and a leg has the people I live with upset."

The officer smirked and said "Well, alright. Good luck out there I guess."

"Thanks."

Some officers in this city are chill, there were definitely a few that decided not to speak up there, knowing my obvious leanings and that I could destroy them should they decide to pull something. I took off home while flying. Nobody decided to shoot me this time, which is nice.

It seems human blood works a lot better than cows, my entire hand was dislocated and I didn't even feel thirst.

I stayed just hanging out with Jen for a while, just chilling and winding down from how much shit went down. We found out that it takes around 3 days for just one cup of human blood to run out. Also that whenever I drink from her we're definitely going to end up doin' it.

Eventually I finally figured out what name I like, though it sounds cheesy since I'm dating someone of the same last name, May Merigold rolls off the tongue. And finally, time to tell a story about my first time on TV. I was asked for an interview after they found out about my regeneration and I accepted.

"So Ms. Daywalker, from what our sources say, you lost an arm and a leg fighting a group of criminals. You took out the non-emerged while John Doe took out the big emerged that tore you to shreds."

"Yes, sadly since I was with John I had let my guard down and the man managed to sneak up on me. He crushed my neck before ripping those limbs off."

"How come you still seem to have all your limbs now?"

"I'm a vampire. It all regenerates. Before anyone tries to provoke me, it's that weird part of emergence that made magic that created this ability. Nothing in my cells creates it, hell all my cells are dead, probably."

"Speaking of being a vampire, have you ever drank from anyone?"

"I had to after that night, ground beef hocks weren't doing the job."

"Who have you drank from?"

"My girlfriend."

"Girlfriend? You're in a relationship?"

"Yes."

"Huh. The fans all seemed to think you had no interest in relationships, like John Doe."

"That's just because I've been with her since basically as soon as the emergence happened. I probably just don't give off the right vibes."

"Yeah, I'd say so. How come Seraph keeps calling you a villain or a menace?"

I started to blush a bit, it looks black and cloudy according to Jen. "The only way I talk that she's heard is how I talk during battle. It all ends up becoming snark and sarcasm. I don't know why, but I can't help but do it. She also heard me intimidating an opponent that hit me with a fireball. She said something along the lines of 'you'd call yourself a hero when you would kill a man on purpose?' and for some reason that set off one of my buttons. I ended up talking a lot of smack at her."

"So you have a habit of talking smack? Intriguing"

"No, it really isn't. Though, I guess it was still like that before emergence."

"Something we are curious about is who you were before emergence, from your fighting style you had hand-to-hand fighting experience and even had to defend yourself against someone with a weapon before."

"Oh, right, my girlfriend told me this is fine."

I take off my mask and unhood myself in bloodlust mode"Phew, it gets stuffy under those. I was an MMA fighter before emergence, though I was male and went by a different name. Just look up what MMA matches were going on around here just before emergence and you can probably find it." Yep. Me and Jen decided that unmasking myself would make it hard for anyone to target us. We figured out how to make the effects of bloodlust appear without actually making me furious.

"Your eyes..."

"Looks horrific, doesn't it? Yeah, this is what form I go out in."

"You have another form?"

"Yep. But that would give away too much about myself."

"Fair enough. Your veins are black?"

"Yep. No idea why that happens though, maybe the emergence has a strange sense of aesthetics."

I hear a 'pff' from a camera operator.

"Yes, I have seen many a strange emerged."

I place my mask back on but leave the hood off. "Better?"

"Yes, I'm so sorry."

"It's fine. I figured the eyes would be a bit much for anyone normally."

"So why did you make your outfit so revealing after having a no-skin-shown suit for so long?"

"I was waiting until it was painfully obvious to everyone that I was a vampire so that I didn't have to deal with the backlash. Plus while I feel no aversion from the sun, heat has always irritated me."

"Is that why you left from the scene in Texas during a large heatwave?"

"Yep. It makes me thirsty, and a thirsty vampire definitely does not make a good hero."

"Ah. Yes, that does not sound good."

"Now, we would like to have you answer some questions from your fans."

"Okay. But before any questions like 'who's the girlfriend' come up, I won't answer any questions like that. But she's not a hero."

"Okay, first question: If you're a vampire, do your eyes mesmerize people?"

"No, though they do instill fear when I'm in combat form sometimes."

"Hm, what is combat form?"

"The form I'm in now."

"Ah. Okay." She clears her throat, clearly knowing firsthand what I said was true.

"Next question: Why do you sometimes not go out on the job?"

"My girlfriend's rather strong habits sometimes keep me from waking up at the alarm, or I was injured extremely and don't feel like going out that day. I go out every time I'm available." That was a lie, or at least I didn't tell the full story, sometimes I see that a fucked up corporation is getting broken in to and I ignore it because they deserve to lose a little.

"So you aren't the kind of hero that is constantly going out at every notification?"

"No, that level of self-sacrifice is unhealthy, living or dead. I still don't know if I'm wholly immortal, so I'm going to spend my time like I'm actually going to die one day."

"What use is time if you don't spend it wisely?"

"Yep."

"If you were male before emergence, are you uncomfortable in your current body?"

"No."

"Why is that?"

"I dunno. I was probably trans. Had no idea about it though." That's a lie. I hated the male body the entire time I was in the MMA.

"So you feel more comfortable in this body than the one you used in the MMA?"

"Yes, as far as I can tell I'm more comfortable."

I hear a scoff from the peanut gallery and I have no idea why, but that lit some kind of fire in me.

"Yo, camera guy number forty-three I have super-hearing too, Dumbass. I could hear you scoff."

"Uhm, Ms. Daywalker, your fangs."

"Ah, shit, sorry. They grow when I get irritated." they start retracting

"Well, I do believe we are out of time, sorry to those of you we couldn't get to during questions, and thank you Ms. Daywalker for coming on the show." And this is the end of the show.

"It's no problem. Sorry for the irritation at the end there."

"Better than the man who turned into a lion on that seat."

After that the show wrapped up like normal and I went home to lay down in Jen's lap and receive head scritches. 

"Pff, your conservative fans are going to drop drastically."

"Good. If they don't like me they shouldn't have me."

Other than the drop in fans that were conservative, the number of fans I gained was ridiculous after the interview. Also I got pelted with questions, and R-34, both in bloodlust mode and a form that they assumed was me out of bloodlust mode. some of it was hot as hell. and an uncomfortable amount of people started shipping me with other female heroes, even Seraph, to which I found her reaction hilarious. Jen also ended up getting fed up with my getting shipped with others, but she knew it was inevitable.

Had to wait until the end of the day to start writing this one since I would have written two chapters in a day otherwise, and that is not good for my creativity engines.

13