Chapter 48: What had he done?
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had only been an hour. Sixty minutes. Three thousand six hundred seconds. Did he really need to stick to Ciel like that? To his chagrin, he looked inside his heart and realized that he did. He had allowed himself to carry and hold Ciel for the past week or so. To let him stick as close as possible to him that he wanted to graft him to his body. His scent, his warmth, his soft breath; the feel of his hair and skin against his neck. The feel of his lips on his skin… it had taken a lot of will power to act naturally when he felt those lips earlier. He willed himself not to move, even as his blood boiled and his heart trashed about in his chest; telling himself that it was just his imagination, that it had been an accident. He would not give himself hope; not when he was so beyond redemption.

But when he saw him crouch down, saw those gentle eyes seeking forgiveness from that child-like man in Bei’s arms, his feelings surged again. Like an unstoppable tidal wave, like overflowing lava, they raced forward, destroying all obstacles in their path. There was no turning back; his vow to protect from the shadows was slowly crumbling in the destructive onslaught of his emotions. He envied Bei; envied that he didn’t care for the glances others gave him as he focused his everything on Wu; envied that he would not have any opposition from others when he decided to take his relationship to the next step; envied that he could openly dote on his beloved sitting docilely in his arms.

So he had stuck close to Ciel when he saw him head for the trolley. Even if he couldn’t press himself against the other man, to be able to stand as close as possible to him was already a blessing. And when he had offered that sandwich, he knew he should have taken it with his hand but a little demon inside made him take a bite directly from Ciel’s hand. He enjoyed the contact and intimacy, openly flirting with Ciel before they had been distracted by Elder Liath. Then he had to pretend he didn’t see the scorching, killer gaze from Master Gin when he sat beside Ciel on the sofa.

George believed that his biggest hurdle wouldn’t be Ciel but his family. From his over protective siblings to his literally-a-dragon father, he would have to overcome many trials before he would be able to remove his forever getting-into-trouble sweetheart from the clutches of the evil dragon. He paused from his overactive imagination and gave himself a wry smile. Ciel’s family loved him and only wanted the best for him. George would be the first to admit that he was not the best for Ciel. How could he prove that he was the one? No, he couldn’t. And he had to remind himself again that Ciel wasn’t for him; that he had been the blight that had ruined this precious being.

The discussions with Master Gin, Scarlet, Bei and Wu were done. Wu would allow Master Gin and his family to remember him. He also included George into the list at Bei’s urging. Then, Bei gave everyone a bow of gratitude and led Wu away. Once the two had left, the attention was shifted to the two on the sofa. George wasn't sure if he had seen Scarlet wink at him from behind her husband.

“Now, what happened to you, Ciel?” Master Gin got straight to the point.

“I was pushed down an abyss when I was being led back from Undertown.”

George wanted to get up and walk away, but he stayed. He forced himself to keep his emotions in check; he was far too close to committing violence at Ciel's words. He had already heard that he was pushed down almost two days ago. But because Ciel had been so weak, they had prioritized getting him home over getting the full story. Now when he heard about it and remembering the weakened figure he had rescued at the bottom of the ravine, he couldn’t help but shudder. If he hadn’t gotten there on time, if Ciel had fallen into a world where he wasn’t there… as the what-ifs ran in his mind, he heard the rest of the conversation.

“So you had no idea how you ended up in the same world as George?”

“No, I lost consciousness when I fell… something about the air was suffocating, painful.”

“Worlds of broken skies normally become uninhabitable the longer they’re abandoned. The sky of that world broke more than a hundred years ago. It’s no wonder the air’s poisonous.” Elder Liath interjected here.

Ciel gave a slow nod and looked at George. “The next time I woke up, I saw George.”

“It was a good thing he found you. If we had lost you…” here Master Gin refused to elaborate further. But everyone understood. George wondered who would have cause more destruction at the thought of losing Ciel… him or Ciel’s family?

“So you’re sure it was Tór that pushed you?” Elder Liath’s voice was tired.

“I didn’t see who pushed me. But he was the one who led me to that abyss.”

There was a sigh and more silence. “Gin, I apologize. I’ll send someone to look for the betrayer and bring him to you for justice.”

“Apology accepted but it wasn’t me who was pushed into the abyss.”

“You’re right…” Another sigh.

George turned in time to see the elder and get up. Liath turned to the shocked Ciel and bowed. “Ciel, I placed my faith in the wrong person. I’m sorry I put you in danger.”

“Please get up, elder. It was my fault for not being vigilant as well.” a flustered Ciel rushed forward to raise the elder up. George understood that Ciel had been raised to respect the elderly and would never be comfortable suppressing them. Polite and respectful towards the elderly, gentle and caring towards the young. He was a loyal and loving person who preferred to live in humility thanks to his personality and the way he was brought up. Why was he so perfect and white against his defects and darkness? George knew that he was raising Ciel up; worshipping him on a pedestal. But he couldn't help it. Hopeless and despairing people would often look up; look up towards the rising sun in the horizon, look up at the fleeting clouds blown by the wind, look up at the rainbow after a storm, look up at the multitude of stars in the night sky. Who asked him to be named Ciel? Who asked him to be the Sky that George looked up to?

He worked hard to tamp down his feelings again. He refused to show all his cards, to keep that heart wearing sleeve hidden a little while longer. He knew that they suspected his feelings for Ciel; he was being more and more blatant after all. But he refused to let them know the actual depth of his feelings; the true burning passion in his heart. Ciel was not just his anchor now; he was his guiding light and beating heart. He watched as Ciel escorted Elder Liath out the door; the elder had vowed to get to the bottom of the betrayal and had decided to hurry back to his own domain. Ciel shut the door and returned to his seat on the sofa.

"And you? How did you end up in that world?" Master Gin's words suddenly brought George back from his sentimental thoughts of Ciel.

"I stepped into the space by accident. I didn't even realize it was there. I was trapped in it for a while. I lost track of time so I can't be sure how long I was in it. After that I was transported to that other world."

"Was there anything in it?"

"In the space? No, there was nothing. It was dark and gave me the feeling of being suspended in mid-air. I couldn't feel anything at all."

"Iktomi admits that that was where he hid previously. But he had entered from an entrance that was prepared by those in the half light."

"Well, it's impossible that Iktomi came from that world anyway"

"That's true. But how did you escape that space?"

"I... " Should he tell? Everyone was already curious by the pause. And Master Gin had this uncanny ability to sniff out lies and half-truths. It would be be better to come clean. "I was thinking about Ciel when my scar glowed. The next thing I knew was that I found myself in an underground chamber." He glanced at the man who had returned to sit next to him; as if it were natural. He was looking down, refusing to meet his eye.  It was a little disappointing but not everyone can accept being the object of obsession. Perhaps it would be better to love him from the shadows after all. A thought occurred to him.

"Why was Ciel poisoned? As a blood of your blood, he should be able to withstand the poisonous air..." He seemed to realize that he had stepped on a mine of some sort. Ciel had whipped his head up in shock and fear while Master Gin's lips had been pulled into a severe line and his eyes had hardened. Scarlet's normally happy countenance showed a rare look of despair. The assortment of emotions was all too bewildering to him.

"Ciel's powers was manifested in his phoenix wings. He might look like me, even when he is in his beast form but his powers was mainly from Scarlet."

George paled. Powers, wings, look like Gin... He recalled that horrible day. The beautiful, fiery wings and the cruel way he had torn them. The splashing blood, Ciel's roar of pain and despair. The moment of clarity and horror at his actions. What had he done?

As if Master Gin was not done tormenting him. "He can still absorb magic and mana from places like the club and Time Valley but even then, there's a limit to how long the magic can keep him alive. Ciel is no more than a slightly more powerful human now.  So places like abandoned worlds will kill him." Every sentence Master Gin said was like a cruel knife twisting into his heart. What had he done?

"Stop it!" Ciel had stood up and glared at his father. He looked angry, anguished, torn and tormented. "I may be dying but I've stopped blaming him long ago. Don't torment him more than this." Ciel choked on his words, gave a small sob and stormed out of the room. Scarlet stood up, gave her husband a dirty look and went after her son. Master Gin looked at a hollow-faced George. Then, as if his petty heart was satisfied by the pain he had inflicted, he too got up and left.

Ciel was dying.

His body trembled like a boat without an anchor, buffeted by the storm.

He was dying because he had lost his wings which were the source of his powers.

His eyes dimmed like a flickering candle, almost at the end.

He, George, had ruthlessly taken away those wings in a bout of dragon madness...

His heart turned to ash.

Dear Lord... WHAT HAD HE DONE?!

2