Chapter 49: Running away from home
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He left the room, his emotions in turmoil. He could not believe his father had callously told George his secret. Nobody outside the family knew. He had seen George’s eyes; they were like a dying man who had been told that the treatment did not work, that he would only have another week to live. He saw the hope and life drain away and saw despair trickle in. Ciel swallowed. This was not how he wanted to tell George. He wasn’t even sure if he wanted to tell him. Looking at those dead eyes was even more painful than when he himself had realized his mortality. A hand suddenly grasped his arm as he passed by. Startled, Ciel stopped and looked at the person attached to that hand. It was the quirky angel from the infirmary.

“Are you all right?”

It wasn’t often that the angel spoke to others on his own volition. Ciel realized that he must look really bad. He rubbed his face and gave a weak smile.

“I suppose I’m not. Thanks for asking.”

The angel continued to look at him for a moment before shrugging. “Take care then,” Then he walked away. Ciel could only twitch his lips. Most people would ask more or try to console a person who was upset. The angel just walked away, as if it was none of his business. He cared in his own way but there was also a wall, a sense of apathy from him; like he was a watcher that would not be affected by the butterflies or the tides.

Ciel took a deep breath as he watched the angel walk away. He was too distraught; it wouldn’t do to barge through the lounge. He didn’t want to see anyone but he had nowhere to hide. He needed to leave the club but where could he go? A sudden warmth enveloped him from behind and he heard the rustle of skirts and the scent of cherry blossoms and vanilla. He turned and saw a loving face and flaming hair.

“Mother?”

“Hush, my darling. I’m so angry at your father. Let’s run away together.”

Before he could say anything else, he found that they had been transported to some quiet little paradise. He was standing at the foot of a towering tree that stood beside a lake. He’d never been here before.

“Ciel, over here.”

He followed his mother and realized that she was climbing over the massive roots of the tree. Really, mother? In that dress?  He didn’t know where to look as the skirts hitched up over her knees, revealing the white smooth skin that he had inherited from her.

“Ciel, hurry up.” Scarlet soon realized that he was blushing and she looked down at her exposed legs and gave a throaty laugh. “You’re as prudish as your father. Come help me then.”

Ciel rolled his eyes at his tomboy of a mother and gently lifted her over the roots. He pulled her skirts down and bent down to pat the dress and smooth out the wrinkles, pausing when he felt her hand on his head.

“Are you all right my darling?”

Silence. Scarlet did not push for an answer. Instead, she led him by the hand and pulled him towards the tree. Ciel looked up and saw steps embedded in the tree, spiralling upwards to a platform well hidden in the tree. He followed her up, curiosity getting the better of his distress. At the top, he found a cosy nook consisting of a nest like bed filled with pillows and cushions that took up most of the space. The floor was covered in a plush rug that made him feel like kicking off his shoes and burying his bare feet in it. Several cubby holes were carved into the tree to hold some books and other items. Scarlet was pulling back the curtains in front of the bed, revealing a small balcony and a fantastic view of the lake and its surroundings.

“This is my secret hideaway. I come here when I’m upset.”

Ciel could see why. It was calming here, peaceful. The bed looked inviting and the breeze that blew in from the lake relaxing. All you had to do was curl in the bed and look at the waters rippling in the wind with the clouds floating along; you’d feel your troubles get blown away too.

“It’s gorgeous at night too, the stars are just so romantic.”

He could imagine. Now he wanted to wait until nightfall to see for it himself. He didn’t want to see his father or George anyway. He sat on the bed and sighed. His mother sat beside him and gave him another hug.

“My poor, poor baby.” She pulled him to rest on her shoulders as she started stroking his hair.

“I’m not a child anymore, mother”

“You’re my child. Let me be a mother, please?”

The tears that he had fought so hard to keep at bay welled in his eyes again. He buried his face in his mother’s shoulder, refusing to say anything. He heard her croon in his ear as she stroked his hair and back.

“It’s all right darling. Mummy’s here. Let it all out.” He really felt like he was a child again and held on to Scarlet. Neither of them cared that Ciel’s tears trickled down her bare shoulder and on to her dress. She was too preoccupied with the tears of her son and he was just too upset with what had happened. It had been so long since he had been comforted by his mother.

“Now I’m really upset with your father. Let’s stay here for now and let him stew. We’re running away from home tonight!” She said after Ciel had managed to calm down.

He choked back a laugh. He’d noticed that some of the items in the cubby holes came in pairs. It’s not running away from home if father knows where to find you… But he hugged his mother a little tighter, glad that she was there for him. After a while, she got up and started preparing a concoction for Ciel to drink.

“Here, have some. Then take off your shoes and take a nap. You’ll feel better after that.” She offered him a cup of warmed wine, the aroma sweet and spicy with a touch of herbs. He looked at her.

“Yes, I did put some sleeping herbs inside. You’ve just recovered from your poisoning and now your father’s upset you. I want you to rest properly.”

He nodded slowly and finished the cup. Then he kicked off his shoes and lay back in the bed; his mother then tucked him in. He felt like a child again.

“Sleep.” Scarlet started patting the blanket as she lay beside her son, looking at him with the loving eyes of a mother. Ciel’s eyes felt heavy and within a few minutes, he drifted off to sleep; tired from his misadventures and the emotional blow dealt to him earlier. When she was sure that he had fallen asleep, Scarlet gave him a kiss on the forehead and walked towards the balcony. Staring at the waters, she gave a small smile and jumped off, landing in the arms of the father of her children.

“Can’t you use the stairs, you vixen?” Gin’s words were scolding but the tone was loving as he put her down.

“Why? I knew you’d catch me.”

Gin stared at his wife before giving her a lingering kiss. They held each other for a moment before Scarlet seemed to remember something, giving him a push.

“I’m still mad at you for upsetting Ciel. We’re running away from home tonight.”

“It’s not running away from home if I know where to find you.” he retorted as he gathered her back into his arms.

“Your son was thinking the same thing, even if he’s too polite to say it.”

Gin gave a hum and held his wife a little tighter. It was painful to see the anger his son had directed at him but he needed to do it. He didn’t want his child lost and hurting any longer.

“You shouldn’t have said that. You’ve hurt them both.”

“When a broken bone is set crooked, the only way to fix it is to break it again and reset it.”

A sigh. “I know… but it hurts to see him like this…”

“Putrid wounds shouldn’t be covered up. They need to be in the open to heal properly.”

“Stop treating your son like an injury.” She smacked his arm

“It was just an analogy.”

They held each other silently, seeking comfort in the warmth of the other.

“Now all that’s left is for the two of them to comfort and lick each other’s wounds…” Scarlet’s muffled voice was heard. She felt the arms around her tighten as her husband protested silently in his heart.

“You can’t hold onto them forever.”

“I can try.”

“You stubborn old man. No matter what happens, I’ll always be with you.”

“You wouldn’t be able to run even if you wanted to…” Gin raised Scarlet’s chin as his silver eyes looked into her golden ones before lowering his face. There was a rustle of cloth and the two of them did not speak for a while.

*           *           *           *           *

When Ciel awoke, he found his mother sitting barefoot on the balcony outside, staring at the lake. The sun was setting and the hues of orange and gold were reflected against the clouds and in the waters in front of them, as if setting the world on fire. He sat up on the bed and enjoyed it with his mother, as they watched the world burn itself out. When the last of the flames were extinguished and the stars started to light up, she turned around and smiled at him.

“Better?”

He gave a nod. His sleep had been sound and dreamless. He was refreshed but something was off when he woke up. Perhaps it was because it was an unfamiliar bed. He climbed out of bed and went to sit beside her.

“Do you want something to eat?” she pointed at a picnic basket by her side. Ciel stared at it and his mother. He was sure it wasn’t there earlier. “A cute little bird brought it here and left.” She answered airily. Ciel was certain that his father didn’t appreciate being called that but he remained silent. Since they did not light anything, they ate under the starlight. His mother was right; it was romantic. When he was done, he continued to stare at the stars, his mind lost in thought.

His biggest secret was out; it didn’t matter anymore. What was he and George going to do next? There would be no more status quo; either they moved forward or they would have nothing. Knowing George, the guilt would be heavy enough that he might just leave the club. Ciel clenched his fist, gripping the sleeves of his shirt tightly. The thought of George disappearing… unknowingly, his body started trembling. George could be packing to leave right now… he struggled to his feet. He had to go back, had to stop him from leaving. He didn’t see his mother inside so he ran down; he was panicking now. In the darkness, he saw her walking to the lake and ran after her.

Before he could say anything, fireflies started to dance around her, illuminating her in a magical glow. The insects twirled around her before they formed a glowing heart and a man reached out to hug her. Ciel paused as he watched his father’s romantic display of affection. So much for running away from home…

1