Chapter 50: Tell him
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An embarrassed Ciel turned around and left, considerately giving his parents some time alone. After five minutes though, he started to get nervous again, worried that George would leave and he would never be able to see him again. So he went back and saw them still in an embrace, his mother’s eyes glittering and she was laughing at the little tricks his father was making the fireflies do. Still not wanting to interrupt them, he left again. Fifteen minutes later, Ciel was nearly tearing his hair out from the wait and worry. So he prepared himself mentally for the onslaught of affection that he knew his parents would be displaying and went back to the lakeside.

As expected, they were still glued to each other, with his father pointing at some star over the lake. As he was debating on whether to leave again or not, he noticed that his father had looked over in his direction before turning his attention back to his wife. It was then that he realized that his parents probably knew he had been there peeking from the side.

“If you’re done tormenting me, can we go back to the club now?” his tone was sullen at the thought of being played by his parents.

“I thought you needed more time.” His father’s tone was bland as he and Scarlet finally left the lakeside and walked towards him. Ciel huffed and refused to answer him. The one who wanted more time was clearly his father. How dare he push the blame onto him?

“Don’t tease your son anymore. Let’s return.” Scarlet gently pinched the hand that was on her waist. Gin gave her a look but with a nod, the three of them disappeared, leaving the lake as calm and tranquil as before, save a few confused fireflies.

Ciel immediately found himself back in the club, standing in his father’s office. With a brief nod of thanks, he immediately left the room. Gin watched his son leave with a sigh and grumbled. “Not even a word of thanks. It’s like Dawn all over again…”

“But you know George will love him dearly.”

Gin did not answer. He had always over protected his family; Scarlet had nagged at him about it for centuries. But like any dragon, he had the tendency to hoard his treasures and keep them close lest they be taken away. It will take a very long time before he will ever be reconciled to the fact that people were snatching his treasures left and right but as long as the woman in his arms never leaves, he would still be able to reluctantly let his children leave the nest and seek their own happiness. With another sigh, he pulls his wife closer and leans his forehead against hers. Sensing his reluctant agreement, Scarlet wraps her arms around him and they silently share a moment of love and understanding that didn’t need words to be conveyed.

*           *           *           *           *

Ciel rushed out of the room and was again close to losing his dignity as he sped around the club to look for George. He wasn’t in the lounge despite it being time for his shift. The worry hidden in his heart surfaced again. He wasn’t in the staff lounge either; he’d checked on his way to the lounge just now. Should he steel himself to knock on his door? Ciel was on the verge of having a breakdown now. How did George worm his way into his heart like this? Wasn’t he supposed to be scared of him? Didn’t he spend the last fifty years avoiding him? Ciel groaned and covered his face, dragging his hand over his overly tense features. If George really left without telling, Ciel would die. It wasn’t him being dramatic; it was something he knew would happen. After all, how can you live if you don’t feel like eating or sleeping? How can you live if you’ve lost the air in your lungs or the beating of your heart? How can you call it living if your body is functioning but your soul isn’t there?

“Ciel? You’re back?”

He turned to see his twin siblings looking at him. Should he ask? They would know where he is, right? As long as George hasn’t left then he would be fine. Before he could ask though, Noire, as if already knowing what he wanted to ask, answered.

“If you’re looking for George, he went out the west exit with a sword. It looked like he needed to vent.”

Just like that, the anxiety in his heart disappeared. Just like that, the unease weighting him down fell off. He could breathe again; his tense body unwound. And just like that too, his courage disappeared. How could he face him? What should he say? Never had he felt more like a coward than he did now. It was like running full speed towards the cliff edge and then stopping at the very last minute. He was lucky he didn’t fall off the edge but that didn’t mean that he wouldn’t get pushed in. Ciel didn’t notice that his conflicted face was seen by his sister who ‘tsked’ and walked away. Noire then sent a message to her mother who also clicked her tongue.

Ciel had meanwhile gone to the lounge to mingle, his senses tuned to the western exit, hoping to see a certain blond man. When he noticed the patron looking at him expectantly, waiting for a reply, Ciel blushed and stammered an apology. He looked so charmingly flustered that the patron’s heart skipped a beat. Ciel was forgiven by the patron but he scolded himself in his heart for being unprofessional. He finally stopped himself from thinking about George and concentrated on the patron, his flushed face and slightly dewy eyes bedazzling everyone nearby.

“Oh, Madam Scarlet’s going to sing. Who’s that with her?”

Ciel turned to see his mother with some patrons on stage. She seemed to be whispering something to them before they nodded and smirked in his direction. He realized that they were the muse of music and romance and when he turned the other way, he saw the rest of their sisters sitting in an alcove behind him; they must have come for an evening out. Without realizing, the strains of the piano started. To his surprise, it was a slow song without the jazzy feel that his mother preferred. Erato started the duet:

“I’m scared, so afraid to show I care…”

Ciel did not recognize the song so he turned back to the guest and began conversing again. But then his mother joined and her part of the song struck him.

“…But what you must understand, you can’t let the chance to love him pass you by…”

His eyes widened and he turned back to stare at the women on the stage.

“Tell him~” Their voices harmonized perfectly.

He blanked for a moment as the chorus flowed through him, the words were probably what his mother had wanted to say to him earlier this afternoon. As his mother sang, he understood the advice that she wanted to impart to him, since she knew his feelings for George.

“Your love can’t be denied, the truth will set you free, you’ll have what’s meant to be…”

Without realizing his nose felt stuffy, just like his heart. It was as if he was having a conversation with his mother and she was showing him the way.

“I love him (then show him) of that much I can be sure (hold him close to you) I don’t think I could endure, if I let him walk away~”

He stared, unable to turn away anymore. He listened, unable to pretend or hide any longer. He got up, stammered another apology to the guest as he staggered away to the strains of “Your faith will lead love where it has to go~”

*           *           *           *           *

George huffed and sheathed his sword, several panic wolves lay dead at his feet. He needed that. The jumbled up thoughts in his mind slowly became clearer with each swing of his sword. Ciel was dying; but Ciel had forgiven him. Ciel lost his powers; but Ciel had accepted it. He had never seen Ciel with a bitter face in the fifty years he had seen him, watched him. He kept his pains and fears locked up inside, only showing his most beautiful, shining side to the world. No wonder the twins had hated him at first; he deserved it. It didn’t matter; he would be there for Ciel, no matter what he did, no matter how much time he had.

He’d made that vow and he would stick to it. And after that, after Ciel had breathed his last, he’d accompany him to the underworld. He’d never been afraid of dying so he’d embrace him and jump into any pyre or coffin they prepared for Ciel. He’d protect him to the last. His life would be meaningless without him anyway. He turned around, ready to return to the club, ready to face Ciel when he heard the sounds of someone running towards him. He was surprised to see Ciel, breathless and a little lost. Ciel saw him and seemed to brighten as he ran towards him.

“Ciel? What’s wr-”

Before he could finish, Ciel had run straight into him, his arms around George’s waist. George couldn’t breathe, couldn’t move his arms or even get his brain to function. Ciel had just run out of the blue towards him and hugged him. He forced his arms down, placing them on Ciel's shoulders.

“What’s the matter?” he forced the words out.

Ciel looked at him, his eyes a little misty and gave him the brightest, most loving smile he had ever seen.

“I love you”

George’s brain shorted out again. Ciel seemed to have lost to embarrassment as he buried his face in George’s bosom, his arms tightening around his waist.

“I wasn’t sure if I should have told you but I don’t want you to leave me. I don’t think I’ll be able to live if you do…”

George was digesting the sweet words Ciel was telling him but the rest of his body, like his brain was malfunctioning. It was like a dream, a fantasy that he had forbidden himself from having since a long time ago. He couldn’t believe that he would ever be awake when those words were said to him. Ciel seemed discontent with the silence so he looked up at last, his face aflame.

“George?”

He finally snapped out of it and his body restarted all his body functions again. Without a word, the arms on Ciel’s shoulders circled around him and he held the other man in a tight embrace.

“Are you sure?” there was a tremor in his voice. Don’t let him wake from this dream, please.

“Mmmm” the arms that were around his waist started to move up and down, stroking his back. George couldn’t take it anymore. With a wrench, he pushed Ciel away to look at his face. There was a hurt look in his eyes as he lost contact with George; his lips were pursed into an adorable pout. George lowered his head and took those pouty lips with his and gave Ciel a rather reverent kiss. They were so soft… he could feel Ciel stiffen before he relaxed, his pliant body leaning against him, his fingers grabbing onto his shirt. He could feel Ciel part his lips and it was all George could do not to snap. He didn’t want to lose control. Not with Ciel... not anymore. His arms held Ciel a little closer and his tongue probed gently, almost hesitant to enter. Ciel seemed a little more impatient and his tongue went to meet his. It was like two virgins learning at the same time… George could only think of that with a wry smile in his heart. After a while, he released a breathless Ciel, who leaned his head against his chest.

“Love will be the gift you give yourself~” Was Ciel singing? George couldn’t make out the words.

“What is it?”

“Hmmm? Oh nothing, just reaffirming something my mother said. Now, kiss me again...”

So the two of them lingered outside, holding each other, enjoying the feel of the other and finally allowing the love they had for the other man to bloom in their hearts. Master Gin had a sour face the rest of the evening and patrons could not understand why but since Madam Scarlet had a very bright smile in contrast, they just assumed that Master Gin had lost an argument to his wife. It was just another evening at the club to many after all…

Never let him go…


A/N: Tell him by Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand
I'm sorry it got delayed again! but I really wanted to incorporate this song in so I had to redo it... I really felt that this is their song.

Also, the confession, finally!

1