Part 8: Distance
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

It was quiet all around as I lay there on a layer of soft, satin sheets. Easing out of my dream like trance, I opened my eyes to darkness surrounding me.

“What happened?” I wondered to myself as I lay still for a moment.

Finally, the room began to open up and I could see furniture in all corners, although there was a strange lack of illumination all around the room. In the corner of my eye, I noted a chair and two feet on the floor.

I turned my head to spot him. Chris. Sitting. Smiling over at me. Such an arrogant attitude, I could sense he was happy. Happy I was there.

“Good evening, my sleeping beauty,” he whispered.

I immediately sat up on the bed. “Where am I?” I was nervous. This was not the tavern nor my bedroom.

“You're in my mansion,” he answered.

My eyes lit up. My stomach turned as I grew sick.

“Serena's mansion...” I stuttered.

I threw my legs over the side of the bed and pulled myself to my feet.

“Why am I here!?” I barked, suddenly feeling ill.

He stood suddenly and began to walk over to the bed. “Slow down, you may fall over.”

But that didn't concern me. I wanted to know why the hell I was there. I desperately tried to straighten my spine, to open my eyes; however, the sickness came over me fast and I grasped hold of my throat trying not to vomit.

“Chris... you bastard!” I hollered.

He was closer now. “I told you to be careful. You're coming down...”

I wanted him... oh, did I want to beat the shit out of him!

I grasped hold of the bedpost to steady myself.

“Tell me what the fuck I'm doing here?” I demanded.

“Sit down, and I'll be happy to explain,” he said.

“NO!”

I heard him take a breath. The concern in his eyes eased.

“Fine. I ordered for you,” he began. “I had you brought here. I told you Mikael, not to cross me. Your precious tavern could meet it's downfall.”

“Lucious did this?” I sighed as I straightened my spine. How did I not expect it? But why would he do this?

“He did,” Chris said. “You lied to me Mikael. You lied and now I cannot promise your tavern will be safe.”

I lowered my head. I did lie, that was a fact. I had seen Lucious when Chris asked me last night, although I hadn't known his whereabouts at the time. Utter despair fell over me now. For my tavern and Layla, and for my partner, Lucious, who betrayed me.

“But there is something you can do, Mikael.” I heard his voice and lifted my eyes. “To save your tavern, and all those little people in it... you must stay with me here.”

“I will do no such thing!” I protested, despite the fact my home was in peril.

“Listen, I can guarantee everyone's safety if you just stay with me. Let me learn all there is about you. Mikael, you are quite the vampire. So young, so new to the darkness. You need guidance, and I could be your guide.”

I snarled at his request. “Am I to be another pincushion? Just like Lucious!”

He smiled softly and spoke, “Dear no. Why would I harm you, Mikael?”

“Why would you harm Lucious?”

Like a flash, he stood beside me. I could barely sense his movement until I felt his forefinger pressing up against my chin.

“You don't know the whole story, Mikael. You were gone for four years. Why do you assume I am a monster?” He smiled devilishly. “I just want to look into those eyes. Those fantastic vampire eyes, so red like blood... marvelous.” I felt his fingers brush against my abdomen. “And your skin... pale like the dead yet so warm and smooth. You're still fully alive and you don't even know it.”

I looked at him, straight into those eyes of his covered by the dark glasses but I could see the redness in his own eyes looking back at me.

“All this to save the tavern?” I sighed.

“I give my word,” he stated. “And I promise not to hurt you.”

I lowered my head in disgrace for what I was about to do. Yet, he pulled away from me instantly and stood on the opposite side of the bed.

“You look parched, Mikael.” He clapped his hands twice as he stared at the bookcase in the corner.

I turned around and watched him, wondering what he was up to.

“You'll never go without a taste living here, I assure you.” He noted as the bookcase suddenly rotated away from the wall.

To my surprise, two humans came wandering out from behind the wall. I stood in shock as Chris greeted them.

“You called, master?” A woman with apple red hair spoke first.

My heart beat out to her. I could smell her perfume, like roses and lilies on a warm autumn night. How delightful... I turned away.

“Yes... please bare your skin to my friend here.” Chris began. “For he is thirsty.”

“What is this?” I wondered.

“They are your personal donors, Mikael. Do with them as you please. Drink from them, taste them, every bit of them... but do please be careful,” he said.

“You will not make me do this!”

He leaned in closer. “Oh yes, you must. Or you can kiss all your hard work goodbye.”

He took a step forward towards me, then went around me to sit back down into his seat.

I couldn't get past the fact he would sit and watch. Something about him reminded me of Serena so much. His sick need to watch every action. But I would do his bidding... no matter how much it hurt.

I moved in closer to the redhead, her waving arms coaxing me in as I looked out towards the other man who stood with an amused look upon his face. Did they even realize what was about to happen?

Chris must have learned of my fancy for redhead's already. A delectable treat for me. Perhaps it was their hair color, the hue of running blood. Bangs streaming over their faces like lines of crimson running from their scalps.

I could taste her already as I wrapped my arms around her shoulders. Licking my lips, I lowered my head to her delicate neck.

She wishes to be my donor, though I knew not what a donor was...

As I clasped my fangs into her salty skin, I heard her gasp. The man next to me watched every move, shaking his head in complete awe.

I could still sense Chris who sat behind me. His heart beat calm and steady unlike the girl's, who beat louder and louder the deeper I drove my fangs.

Then, that treat. Her blood flowing fast through my ready lips. And I embraced her tighter in my arms until I felt her shudder.

She knew damn well what was happening. She held me tight as well, almost welcoming my deathly caress. Her legs stopped trembling despite her blood loss and her breath drew in to form quick gasps.

Was this a trick? I wondered. If she was ready for me, was it all a part of Chris's plan?

It was strange that the usual taste of blood I expected... seemed different. Yet as much as I wanted to pull away, the hunger grew more demanding with every drip.

Suddenly, her body went weak. Her heart gave a few slow, dying beats until it stopped silent. I held onto her torso to keep her on her feet yet fell to my knees with her weight.

“Mikael, stop!” Chris’s voice echoed into the room.

Finally, I lifted my head and looked at her corpse laying on the floor. Her friend, the man, stood next to her in shock.

I couldn't help myself. The hunger, that driving force... lead me to this. But wasn't this what Chris wanted? If her blood was poisoned, he would want me to drain her. To trick me again.

I smiled diabolically to the thought.

“But master, isn't this what you wanted?” I questioned as I stood up and faced him.

He stomped. “You were not supposed to kill her!”

Quickly he turned to snatch a bottle from the top of the end table, then he stomped over to the bedside and ordered her friend to take the girl away. As the human gathered the corpse and disappeared behind the bookshelf, I stared at Chris with spite in my eyes.

“I do your bidding, master. What is next?” I questioned, with a chuckle.

“How dare you defy me!” The slap of his hand to my cheek barely moved me.

I wasn't about to waste energy to dodge his attack. As a matter of fact, I didn't care to. I took that swing with full force, feeling the sting and the shock afterwards.

“Wipe that damn grin off of your face!”

I stared into his eyes. “But isn't that what you wanted? To poison me, to trick me into drinking their toxic blood.”

“I wouldn't do that...” He began, “Yet!”

Suddenly, he grabbed hold of my neck and wrestled me to the bed. “Son of a bitch! I'll see to it that you pay for your performance tonight.”

I bent my head up, my lips curling in anger. With my fangs showing, I hissed loudly at him.

“I knew you would lie.”

“Only you view me as a monster, Mikael. I can be one if you like,” he warned.

I tried to struggle away. Unfortunately, the poison that Lucious delivered to me earlier in the evening still worked it's way through my veins causing me to be weak. He pressed me back down onto the bed with one hand. His other hand busy digging something from his pocket.

“I will shove this down your throat if I must.” He held that elusive vial in his hand.

I knew what it was.

“Never!” I turned my head away.

He swung his hand around and waved the bottle in my face.

“You... beast. You will drink this, and you will do as I say or your tavern will burn to the ground!” He warned.

I couldn't. I mustn't. My hard work, all those years in making the tavern what it was... burned. The imagery running through my mind was too much.

I stopped struggling and lay there silently. He lifted the bottle to his mouth and with his teeth, removed the seal. Before I knew it, the luce was running down my throat. Metallic in flavor... Then, he crawled off me.

“Stay there,” he spoke as he approached the door. “I will return.”

He walked to the door and moved to open it before he stopped abruptly to look back at me.

“You will regret your actions soon enough, Mikael.”

 

0