Vol 03 Ch04: The Coup
51 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 04A: The Coup – The Two Heirs (Perspective: None)

During the time Disturb took Lilicia and defeated Yuichi, another incident was taking place, one that would change the way of the Underworld. The main territory of the Thanatos family was in a huge uproar as scythes clashed and reaper techniques were exchanged. Corpses littered the land and the blood moist the soil.

"It's no good, they're too strong!" A reaper shouted as all their attacks were deflected by a single person.

"To think that the Head of the Thanatos' personal army is this weak, what a disappointment." A teenage girl with long scarlet hair and violet eyes says as she walks slowly towards her opposition with her scythe resting on her shoulder.

"Priscilla...Orthrus..." One of the reapers identified, "Why are you doing this!?"

"Hades and the current Thanatos were the ones who chose Cerberus over Orthrus. Disturb-sama promised to change all that in exchange for me becoming one of his Hex Class." The girl answered as she took a stance with her scythe. "Soon everything shall be put right." Flames gathered around Priscilla's scythe as she dove towards the huge group of reapers that were blocking her way.

"Attack, we must protect our Lord!" One shouted as the dozen or so reapers unleashed waves of attacks with varying elements.

"Pointless," Priscilla swung her scythe in an arc letting out a stream of fire that stopped the attacks. "Small fry can just be fried!" She shouted as she jumped into the air and swung her scythe into the ground. Suddenly a wide column of fire erupted from the ground, engulfing all her enemies.

The reapers' heavy screams resounded through the night as Priscilla burnt their flesh, blood, and bones into cinders.

Priscilla examined what little remained of her enemies. "Was there a need for Cocytus-sama to bring four Hex Classes if this is all they're capable of?"

"He's being careful, and thorough, Priscilla," An old man says with a withered voice. The man looked to be in his eighties with reclining short white hair. He walked towards his comrade with support from his cane. "He's been waiting for this for a long time, it's only natural."

"Your finished on your end, Isaac," Priscilla asked.

"Of course," He said as he pointed behind him. Priscilla followed his finger to see a huge crater had formed in the ground that could fit several castles within it. "I had to hold back a lot of my power to avoid friendly fire though."

"You held back?" She asked rhetorically as she looked again at the huge crevice. But this kind of power was only to be expected of the Hex Classes number two, Isaac was three ranks higher than Priscilla and thus much stronger.

"Where are Owari and Kaiser?" Priscilla asked as she looked left and right.

"Kaiser has gone to deal with the reinforcements, and Owari..." Isaac smiled deviously, "Has gone to pick up insurance."

"I see," Priscilla could already guess what he was referring to as she turned towards her subordinates. "This battle is ours, wipe out any others who resists!" She shouted.

The soldiers cheered vigorously in response as they charged at their demoralised opponents, who could do nothing other than pray for a miracle.

In both strength and numbers, they were beat.


"What is the meaning of this, Cocytus!?" Interrogated a man, who appeared to be in his late thirties, with long cyan coloured hair. His green eyes gazed menacingly at his opponent, as long red cape fluttered in the wind.

"You already know without asking, Tartarus," Cocytus, a man who looked almost identical to the other, but dressed entirely in black, responded.

The similar looks between the two wasn't just coincidence, it was in their genetics. Each man had ten Photon Options sprouting out of their backs, this ability that was used by only one bloodline proved their identities.

Signs of their intense battle could be seen in the numerous cuts in their clothes and the blood that covered them both.

"You no longer possess the power to keep me from ruling Thanatos, Tartarus," Cocytus' eyes glowed dangerously. "Therefore feel free to retire yourself to your grave." Cocytus' Photon Options shot their beams as does Tartarus'. The many lasers rebound off one another like billiard balls. Stray shots grazed both men in the arms. Cocytus' eyes opened wide, "This is revenge for all the humiliation you've put me through!" His eyes only held pure malice that bordered on the line of insanity.

Cocytus charged towards Tartarus with his scythe as all twenty of the combined Photon Options shot their lasers only to be deflected away by one another.

Ching Ching! - The two Thanatos' glared at each other as their scythes got stuck in a deadlock. "It's because you're like this that I am the family head." Tartarus stated as several icicles form the shapes of arrows and shoot at Cocytus, who breaks the deadlock and jumps back to safety.

"You were just liked better by Hades!" Cocytus shouts in denial as he punches the ground, which freezes from contact with his fist. The ice quickly makes its way towards Tartarus, who gathers flames in his own hand and also punches the ground, the ice and fire meet, causing an instant evaporation. The steam covers the Thanatos audience chamber that is acting as their battleground. The Photon Options let out another laser barrage that both either dodge or deflect.

Ching Ching! - The force from the two scythes colliding create a shockwave that clears the steam. Cocytus has his ice take on the shape of a second scythe and swings it towards Tartarus' throat, who pushes off with his scythe and somersaults over the top of his assailant.

"There is still time to end this, Cocytus," Tartarus negotiated.

"So sure of your loss that you have to resort to begging, Tartarus? Like I thought, you're not fit to run the Thanatos family!" Several blades of ice shot at Tartarus, who skilfully destroys every one using his Photon Options. "So give me back what is MINE!" Cocytus' Photon Options release their lasers. Tartarus however merely shoots a single beam.

"URGHH!" Cocytus yelps as his own lasers were rebounded right back at him.

"I've already read through your attacks, Cocytus. And now I realised something which I felt I knew all along." Tartarus closed his eyes as his face contorted in grief.

"You're already beyond hope," A single tear escapes Tartarus' eye, no matter how much they fought or disagreed, Tartarus still cared for his brother. However, his position that was granted to him had to come first. "So at the very least I shall be the one who ends this. As the Head of the Thanatos family, I shall now pass down judgement upon you, Cocytus Thanatos!" A dark mist covered Tartarus' hand and a green book manifested. His face turned into one of determination.

"So you've resorted to that. The Thanatos' Grimoire." Cocytus cringed at the book that spelt his demise.

"With this you're finished." It was true, Cocytus had no power to fight against the Grimoire, the fight was over.

"Thanatos' Grimoire, ope..." Tartarus began, until three girls in their teens landed in the centre of the battleground. Tartarus' eyes opened wide and he turned towards the direction the girls were thrown from. Stood there was a young man in light armour carrying a sword at each of his sides.

"I advise you rethink that idea, Tartarus-dono. The Grimoire's power is difficult to control, the essence of death may attack someone you don't want it to."

Tartarus stared in shock at the three girls who had been taken hostage, "Rose, Lily, Tsubaki!" Tartarus called the names of his three daughters, his ultimate power had been sealed by the triplet's presences.

"Well done, Owari. As to be expected of my son's number one Hex Class." Cocytus praised the man dressed like a sengoku period warlord, who gave a acknowledging nod in return.

"You coward, Cocytus!" Tartarus yelled in anger as his gaze grew hostile.

"All is fair in war, Uncle," A voice stated from behind. "You shouldn't have let your emotions get the better of you."

Tartarus quickly turned his head...

"URGGHHH!" Just in time to see his back get shot by the boy's eight Photon Options. The boy smiled as the bloodied man fell into a puddle of his own blood.

"Dis...turb..." Tartarus muttered maliciously as he tried to rise to his feet. "GUHHHH!" Disturb kicked him directly where he had shot him, and Tartarus fell to the ground again.

"No, no, no," Disturb said with a refreshing smile that was completely out of place, "You being unable to accept defeat is making you look pathetic, Uncle. Ha-ha-ha!"

"URGHHH!" Disturb planted his foot into the wounded man once again.

"Urgh!" And again. Each kick caused his smile to widen, as if it grew in proportion to Tartarus' agony.

"Disturb, we still need him, so that will be enough. I'm guessing you completed your personal errand?"

"Sure did, Pops. But she's been so badly corrupted I think it will take me a while to get her to open her eyes." Disturb said as he tilted his head to one side. "But I won't give up, I'll never give up. I shall remind her of the love we share." Disturb spread his arms wide as his smile looked as if he had attained perfect bliss.

"With your ability for this kind of thing, I'm positive you can get her to your liking by the night's end." Cocytus complimented as he turned towards his defeated brother. "With this, Thanatos will be as it should be, ours."

The father and son smiled as they looked at the fallen Thanatos family's head. Their coup an overwhelming success.


Chapter 04B: The Coup – The Reason

After I was defeated by Disturb it seems I was taken to the Pandemonium's Underworld residence. Alicia, Father-in-law, and Wolfy are looking on at me through the other side of the recovery capsule.

"I'm sorry," I feel my eyes swell as the words escape my lips, "I failed to protect Lilicia-chan." I bow my head in shame as Father-in-law shakes his head.

"No, Yuichi-kun. It was my mistake. I feared for Lilicia's safety when I caught wind of what was happening. I couldn't tell Lilicia the truth, due to her fear of Disturb. I was hoping to solve the problems without her even knowing. And I can tell with one look that you did everything you could." Father-in-law smiles at me, it's a smile that aches my heart, "Thank you, for trying to protect my daughter." There isn't a hint of blame in his voice, I know he doesn't blame me, and yet, this only makes me feel worse.

How could I let this man down? How could I let Lilicia-chan down? From day one they have both shown me more kindness than anyone. They treated me like I am their own. Tears release from my eyes as I recall Lilicia-chan, who despite being afraid, saved my life. My mind couldn't process everything at the time, but there was one image that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

The moment Disturb forced his lips onto her. When I woke up inside this capsule I had prayed that it was a nightmare, but reality isn't that kind.

"How can someone hurt a girl like her?" I ask as I wipe the tears from my eyes. I've met my fair share of messed up people, but this guy just tops the list.

"Disturb has always been like that. I don't know why he got so fixated on Lilicia, but his mind is so warped and delusional that insanity is too weak of a word to describe him." Father-in-law explains, "Couple that with the fact that he has Thanatos blood running through his veins makes him an existence of the worst kind." He's just as dangerous as I thought, I definitely can't leave Lilicia-chan in his hands.

"Is there anyway to speed up the recovery," I ask as I look at some of my still open wounds, "I need to save Lilicia-chan as soon as possible." Right now she must be in absolute fear, and it's all because I failed. Even if I apologise until my throat ripped out, it still wouldn't be enough.

"What are you saying, Yuichi!?" Alicia yells at me, "Do you have any idea how worried everyone was about your injuries? These kinds of things can't be rushed, even with your Human Anomaly constitution!"

"But Lili..." I start.

"But NOTHING!" Tears begin to flow down, "We were beaten down so easily last time, these aren't opponents we can take lightly. If you go so recklessly, you'll only die a pointless death, and if that happens how will that make Lilicia feel? How do you think I would feel? Yuichi, you seem to have this idea that for as long as you protect everyone then everything is okay. Just like in that last battle, you protected me but took attack after attack yourself. When there are people that care about you, whether you like it or not, your life is no longer your own."

What is Alicia saying? I don't recall ever thinking that.

"You do it on impulse, Master," Wolfy states as if he read my mind, "Did you not also do something similar when you protected Sakura-sama from that Slayer?" Is he referring to that encounter with Vincent?

"But someone as beautiful as I cannot allow a girl to be hurt," I reply.

"How hurt do you think I was having to watch Disturb blasting you again and again!?" Alicia screams in a voice filled with deep emotion as tears cascade down her face.

"..." I can only remain silent from hearing her last outburst.

Father-in-law sighs as he pats Alicia on the shoulder, "We're getting a little bit off subject here, but anyway I will be counting on your power, Yuichi-kun. Unfortunately, due to how delicate the situation has become, it will be difficult for me to move around and resolve the matter personally." Father-in-law looks down.

"Did something happen?" Alicia asks.

"I got a message just before I came here," Father-in-law states, "Cocytus has successfully staged a coup against Tartarus."

Tartarus? Isn't that the name of the head of the Thanatos family?

"He managed to succeed..." Alicia's body quivers.

"Excuse me," I hate to butt in, but I'm clueless here, "Who is this Co...Co..." I can't pronounce it, "Cock person." Praise Hades for the gift of abbreviations.

Alicia just stares at me in disbelief for a moment, "Cocytus Thanatos, he's Disturb's father, and the current head, Tartarus-sama's older brother."

Wait he's that scum's father? Does his seed contain the code for insanity?

"On Hades-sama's request, the previous head, decided to leave Tartarus as his successor over Cocytus." Father-in-law explains, "Cocytus has always had a grudge against Tartarus, but until recently he was forced to keep the status quo."

"What happened that made him take action now?" Wolfy asks.

"Tartarus had something that tipped the balance of power in his favour." Father-in-law explains, "Or rather someone."

"Someone?" I ask.

"His eldest daughter," Alicia states. Wait, does she mean? "Carrisa." As I thought.

"The fact that Tartarus had Carrisa by his side left Cocytus no choice but to avoid conflict. He knew he couldn't win." Father-in-law explains.

"Just by being there, Carrisa kept the internal conflict in check, but now that she has gone rogue, the balance of power has tipped the other way."

I see, I never even thought to think how important Carrisa's existence was to the Underworld.

"However, that no longer matters. Disturb and Cocytus are too dangerous to be left to their own devices. And now this battle has been made personal," Father-in-law's eyes grow intense from his hatred, "They shall learn what it means to make an enemy of me."

And I'll be sure to back you up every step of the way, Father.

Disturb, you tormented Lilicia-chan and Alicia, if you think you've seen the last of this beautiful face, then you're in for a rude awakening.

0