Vol 02 Ch10: Versus Enigma I
126 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10: Versus Enigma I: Ren And Ley Versus Kiri Sasu (Perspective: Ren)

"A Soul Slayer with its own self conscience, what does he mean by that?" I ask the small stature girl standing next to me.

"Exactly as it sounds comma I am a sentient Soul Slayer period" She replies without moving her eyes off of Kiri Sasu.

"Speaking of which, Kiri Sasu, I know that name somewhere." I agonise to myself.

"The Cannibalistic Ripper, Nii-san!" Sakura shouts from behind.

I see, that's where I know the name from. He's the psychopath that our dad caught. But for a guy like that to be in Enigma, they sure know how to pick their members. Either way I'm going to end him here, just like Dad ended his life as a human, I shall end his life as an Anomaly!

"Are you done chatting? My knife is craving your blood!" Kiri says as he licks his blade. I'd laugh if he cut his own tongue doing that.

"Indeed comma let us start period" Ley-san says as an axe that is bigger than her materialises out of thin air.

"Holy!" I say as I take a step back. Ley-san effortlessly rests the axe over her shoulder before turning to me.

"Small girls wielding huge weapons comma isn't it moe question mark" She asks whilst giving me a peace sign.

"Uh sure," I'm not one to ask about moe stuff though. "Lets go!" I shout as I conjure and throw a fireball at Kiri.

"Finally. Time to cut you kittens up and eat your lungs!" Kiri screams as he dodges my flame.

"Slice in half period" Ley-san swings her colossal axe down, like with my fireball, Kiri jumps away. He then quickly throws several of his knives at her.

"Oh no you don't!" I try to conjure up a fireball to repel the attack but, "GUHH!" A swift pain comes from my arm, a knife is lodged in there.

How the hell did he do that!?

"NII-SAN!" Sakura shouts from behind, I can't let her worry about me. So I grab the knife and pull it out.

I draw the sword that my father-in-law gave me from my personal pocket dimension. As I remove the sword from its scabbard the blade instantly ignites itself on fire. This sword is Cerberus family heirloom, The sword of flames, Hinoken.

"Now burn!" I shout as I swing Hinoken and release a flame wave. Ley-san quickly jumps out of the way, whilst Kiri stares it down. He swings his knife horizontally, and as he does my flame dissipates.

How!? That wasn't a shock-wave, nor did he hit my flames directly.

Ley-san lands next to me, "We need to figure out his ability comma otherwise he will always have the upper hand period"

She's right, we have no way of countering the unknown.

Whilst we are thinking as such Kiri once again swipes his knife in a horizontal motion, and then.

"GAAAH!"

"KUHHH!"

Both Ley-san and I yelp as several cuts appear on our bodies with fresh blood pouring out of mine.

"He's not going to give us any thinking time," I state.

"No shit, Sherlock, you're my dinner after all," He replies as he licks his lips.

How can anyone have a taste for human flesh?

"Lets stay on the offensive comma we need to find out his secret period" Ley-san explains, I give a swift nod before brandishing my sword. I charge at him with Ley-san at my side. Kiri runs towards us with a look of glee plastered on his face, he holds a knife in each hand.

"HIYAHH!" I scream as I swing Hinoken horizontally, a line of fire shoots at Kiri, who jumps over it.

"An opening period" Ley-san says as she jumps up with Kiri and attacks him in the air.

Ching! - Kiri blocks Ley-san's axe with both his knives, however...

"GUGHHH!" The impact from Ley-san's attack shattered his knives and sent him hard into the ground.

"Well that certainly hurt," He says as he gets back onto his feet and flexes his neck to the side. Despite his words he doesn't look fazed. "Time to get serious then." He states whilst drawing another knife.

Just how many knives does this guy have?

Not planning on letting him have any chance to recover I attack with Hinoken, but he blocks my blade with his knife.

"Damn that's hot!" He exclaims as he continues to block my sword.

However, has he forgotten?

"There are two of us period" Ley-san states as she charges at him, her axe dissipates and is replaced with a rapier.

She can even do that?

As if to answer my internal question, "My existence itself is a Soul Slayer comma I can take whatever form I desire comma whether it's a human or a weapon period"

I see, so that's how it is.

"I didn't forget you for even a second, Ley-Mistletoe." Kiri says as he draws another knife with his free hand and stabs it into thin air. It is then that I notice it, half of the blade has disappeared, and then.

"URGH"

"GAHH" Ley-san and I exclaim.

I gaze at the source of my pain, a chunk of metal that looks like a knife's blade is stuck in my knee. I turn to Ley-san whom is clutching her arm, like with my knee, a knife's blade has been lodged into her. The sudden pain had forced Ley-san to drop her sword, which dissipated into the atmosphere.

Now I see, so that's how it is.

Kiri slowly withdraws his hand that is holding the knife. The blades lodged into Ley and I disappear, and the knife in Kiri's hand takes its full form.

Yes, now I know for certain, the reason for the attacks and the unusual phenomenon of him effortlessly dissipating my fire attacks.

I jump back to create some distance, "Moving away from me won't save you from my knife's infinite reach." Kiri states.

That's true, but I've figured out the nature of your power.

"Ley-san! I know the trick he's using now!" I shout, Ley-san looks at me in astonishment.

"Hooh~Do you now?" Kiri asks mockingly.

"What is it question mark" Ley-san asks.

I release a confident smile as I declare, "To put it simply it's a spacial distortion! He can move things from one coordinate to another. However, that is not all, this power is one which has an entry point and an exit point. But this is where things get complicated."

"What do you mean question mark"

"He can create several exit points for a single entry point. Like just now, he attacked us both at the same time with a single knife. By creating two exit points for a single entry point he can multiply his signle attack." I explain.

"I see comma that certainly explains everything period" Ley-san says with a nod of her head.

"You're pretty smart for figuring that all out from such little information, well done. You're absolutely correct." Kiri says as he claps his hands gently together, his confident grin is still covering his face. "But at the end of the day what good has it done you? Can you overcome my ability by just knowing its nature?"

He's right, overcoming him is not going to be easy, and I can only think of beating him by using a surprise attack. But there is one thing I do know for sure, rather than quantity we should go for quality.

"Ley-san," I address whilst approaching her, "You said you can become a weapon right?"

"Yes, comma that is correct period"

I take a deep breath before I make my declaration, "For the sake of defeating this guy, please let me wield you!" I shout out. For some reason I feel a tinge of embarrassment. Ley-san's eyes shoot wide open and a light tinge of red enters her cheeks.

"If I let you comma can you win question mark" Ley-san asks.

"I can!" I declare with a swift firm nod.

"Then comma I'll accept period" Ley-san says as a slight smile forms from her lips as she takes my free hand. Ley-san's body glows bright as it slowly disappears, and an elegant white sword appears in my hand, I grip it tightly.

"Light..." I say as I swing Ley-san.

[A girl's weight is a taboo topic period] Ley-san's voice flows into my head, [You're the first person in a long time I've let use me comma so make good on your declaration period also comma drop the 'san' comma just 'Ley' is fine period]

"Now this has got even more interesting, an Anomaly wielding a Soul Slayer. But considering you now know the full nature of my power, I'm no longer going to restrain myself."

Kiri draws several knives and throws them randomly, and as I suspected they're all coming at me from several different directions. I dodge the raining knives making sure to vary my movements to prevent being read.

Ching ching ching! - Ley, changed her blade's shape and stretched out behind me, protecting my blind spot.

"HINOKEN!" I scream as I swing my fire sword at Kiri, the fire stream that is heading towards him however suddenly disappears.

"SHIT!" I scream as I swing Hinoken at the redirected stream of fire. His power also grants him a strong defence as well. I successfully block the flame with Hinoken but "GAAHH!" A sharp pain spreads through my shoulder, I clench Ley to make sure I don't drop her. The many blades disappear as Kiri pulls his single knife back with a sadistic smile.

"BLEED BLEED BLEED BLEED AND BLEED SOME MORE!" Kiri shouts as he randomly starts stabbing his knife into open space.

[Stab me into the ground period] Ley orders, I do as I am told. Suddenly a gush of light surrounds my body, the many knife attacks just bounce off of it. [I am capable of drawing power from the Earth's ley lines comma although it is weaker in this created dimension period]

"Tch! you really are a pain!" Kiri stops his knife attack, realising it wasn't accomplishing anything. I then notice something hovering above his hand, it's a fragment of Ley's shield.

Wait a second, if it's over there, then that means. I see, so that's how it is.

I unearth Ley from the ground and the light disappears, I've got something I want to try.

[Ren Kirei] Ley says blankly.

"Just call me Ren, it's only fair." I state to the elegant blade in my hand.

With both Ley and Hinoken in my hands I charge at Kiri Sasu. "You don't learn do you? It's worthless!" He shouts as he stabs his knife into an open space. I notice the knife coming at me from my side, I quickly get out of its reach. But before Kiri can withdraw it, I stab Hinoken through the hole in space that he created and…

"ARGGGHHHHH!" He screams in agony as my fire sword lodged into his hand.

Now burn! I ignite Hinoken's flames and run them through to Kiri, who already has the blade lodged into his hand.

"AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" He yells even louder as his arm catches fire. Kiri quickly jumps backwards and I withdraw Hinoken.

[What did you do question mark]

"The distortion works both ways. I can force something into one of the exit points and it will come out of the entrance point. Not only that, but if there is something solid in the distortion, then he is unable to close the hole." I explain. The reason I didn't use Ley was because I was worried he might close the distortion with her inside of it, but it looks like it wouldn't have been an issue. "I just used Kiri's own power against him." I supplement.

"HOW DARE YOU!" Kiri screams after he had finally doused the flame that had engulfed him. His arm is covered in blood and burns. "I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU!" He has turned completely psycho, not that he wasn't one already. His eyes glow a dangerous glint as he takes out a black bladed knife that looks different from the ones he used before.

"I've already seen through your tricks, they'll no longer work against me!" I shout back.

"I'm through playing fair with you two, Ren Kirei, Ley-Mistletoe! Say goodbye little girl, you can blame this scumbag for pissing me off!" He yells as he directs his attention away from me and to...

Wait, NO!

Sakura is standing there silently as Kiri's predator eyes look directly at her.

"Don't even think about it KIRI SASU!"

"URGGHHH!" I screech in pain as the knife buries into my arm. I drop Hinoken due to the sudden attack, and the flames that surround the blade dissipate.

[REN!] Ley calls out to me in an uncharacteristic scream.

"NII-SAN!" Sakura screams.

"Amateur, you let your focus drift the moment I threatened the little girl." Kiri says with a grin that seems sure of victory.

"Urgh!" I can't move my arm, what's going on!? I forcefully rip the sleeve off my shirt and gaze at my arm. A black pattern is slowly spreading from the wound he just inflicted.

"This knife is special," Kiri says with a grin, "It inflicts a paralysis curse on what it cuts, in this case, your arm. And guess what, as an added bonus the curse slowly spreads out to the rest of your body," Kiri's smile grows even thinner, "You're finished."

Not only can't I move my arm, it also feels heavier than lead. And soon the curse will encompass my entire body. There is nothing else for it, it's rash, but I have no other choice. If Kiri thinks I'll give up so easily he is going to be disappointed.

"Sakura close your eyes, NOW!" I order. My little sister is surprised, but she quickly obeys, "I'm trusting in your sharpness, Ley." I say as I grit my teeth.

[What are you...] Ley begins, but before she can finish I swing her in a wide angle, her target? My own arm!

"GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" I scream in agony as Ley's blade slices all the way through my flesh and bone with little resistance. Her elegant blade gets stained with blood, my blood. My cursed arm falls to the ground. If it is only going to be a hindrance then likewise I have no choice but to discard it. I was mentally prepared for anything before this fight started so this is nothing.

"You're insane!" Kiri shouts in surprise.

No, just logical, lose an arm or my entire body, the choice was obvious.

[You'll never be able to use that arm again period even though I'm letting you wield me comma I am still a Soul Slayer period you severed the spiritual connection of your arm away from your body period] Ley explains, I'll worry about that after this fight.

"ARGGHHH!" With what strength I have left I charge with Ley in my hand at the still astonished Kiri Sasu. I thrust, aiming for his neck. However, he regains his composure and tilts his neck, dodging it. But even so, I still continue forward and push the blade into the empty area past his neck.

"GAAAHHH!" I grunt, the black knife had been forced into my abdomen.

"It's over." Kiri Sasu says with a look of glee. I drop Ley onto the ground.

"Yes, it is," I reply, "For you." Using my now free hand, I forcefully grab his shoulder with all my strength.

"Re-materialise and finish him, Ley!" I scream with all my might. The elegant blade suddenly shines and transforms back into a little girl, a short sword is in her hands.

"WHATTT!?" Kiri Sasu exclaims as he turns his head to see Ley charging at him, "URGGHHH!" Ley lodges her blade directly into his heart. "Damn...it...to...think...I...would...lose..." Kiri says in a weak voice as his grip on the black knife weakens, before letting go entirely. Ley withdraws her blade from his chest and Kiri's body falls limply onto the ground.

The Cannibalistic Ripper is now no more, I'm sure the entire world will be better off this way.

"Kiri Sasu has been defeated!" The announcement confirms.

And with that my body loses what strength was left in it.

"Ren!" Ley catches my falling body, she's dropped her habit of voicing out punctuation, I guess probably due to the sudden shock.

"NII-SAN!" Sakura who sees my pathetic state runs up to us with tears in her eyes.

"Excuse me Ren comma" Ley removes my shirt and stares at the curse that is spreading throughout my body. "Although it looks like it will take a while comma I think I can remove this curse period" Ley says as light gives out from her hand and the progress of the black pattern representing the curse halts. "I can't do anything for your arm comma" Ley has a sullen look on her usually emotionless face "But I swear on my pride as a Soul Slayer comma the curse won't take any more of you period so for now just rest period"

"But the others..." I begin whilst trying to force my body onto it's feet.

"Nii-san!" Sakura cuts me off

I feel a thump to my neck and my consciousness begins to blur. "I told you to rest period" These are the last words I heard before my eyelids could no longer hold themselves open. I embraced the slumber that my wounded body truly desired.

1