Chapter 2: Ethereal Geno Art
253 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sight in front was a man battling a giant monstrosity. The fiendish beast donned acid salivating liquid from its mouth, rotted piercing teeth the size of a human adult's hand, and a body resembling that of a lion's structure with two extra limbs on its back.

Opposite stood a tall man in green, carrying a large claymore. Hoisting the weapon up with two hands, it radiated a violet shade as the man swung to cleave the beast in half.

"Die!!!" The man roared. But his shout was soon outdone by the beast's own roar. The exchange between the two was fast and furious. It left no room to question how intense their desires exuded on killing each other.

From a distance, Brigan stayed crouched down and concealed, monitoring their every action. Yet, his wide-open eyes only grew wider the longer he watched.

Had he stumbled upon an isolated region by the government?

Judging the valley's terrain, he never saw a place like this, so it was inconceivable to consider it as Earth. Did this mean the Oblivion Gate transported people to different planets? If correct, he perceived finding a human stronghold still possible.

Having spent days with nothing to help keep alive, Brigan was more focus on the likelihood regarding water and food than the insane fight no ordinary civilian could achieve.

The longer he thought on the subject, the further he understood the gravity for the man's plight. While he was no hero, if the man died now, his scarcity of food and water would prolong.

How many days could he last? Since he refused to leave things to chance, he would determine his own fate. Standing up and carrying the red box in hand, he made a dash to the fighting duo.

As he sprinted forward, both the man and the beast took notice. "W-What, a naked boy?! Hey! Don't be rash kid! This thing is out of your league!!!" Despite the urgency in the man's voice, Brigan ignored him as he leaped for the beast.

"Dang it all!!! Where did this reckless kid come from!!!" Amidst his shouting, he also made action to intercept the beast. "ROAR!!!" Emitting greater ferociousness, the beast's muscle span enlarged as its figure emanated a violet glow.

As all of this happened, Brigan began striking first. Raising his leg, he aimed a blow to one of its extra limb. His intent being, to disable or block the things used for protecting its body against the man's claymore.

The man trailing half a second behind, also realized this point but didn't have the same confidence as Brigan regarding his intentions. Having fought the beast for a while, the two extra limbs could be said to be the sturdiest and strongest part.

This analysis didn't even include the increased strength it now exuded. From his viewpoint, Brigan was just plain suicidal. What reinforced his opinion was the lack of any God Weapon on Brigan's person.

Bang! Crack!

To the astonishment of the three, beast included, the harden arm snapped, bending at an unusual degree as the beast let loose an anguished cry.

Listening from the intensity of its screams, it wouldn't be wrong to conclude its limbs on top being both, the strong and weak point to its body.

Although stunned by the results, Brigan wasn't overly so. Before he shot toward the beast, he had already experienced changes that provided confidence concerning his capabilities.

When he was standing and observing the battle, the two figures fighting were moving blinding fast. By the time he overcame the shock of an eerie looking image, the two seemed to be moving in slow motion compared to beforehand.

With keen awareness and having fought his share of scrimmages, he believed being a God Candidate would come with some form of perk. Thankfully, it all wasn't recklessness.

"Don't miss this chance!" Brigan's reminder obtained an amused snort. "I know!" Banishing the claymore overhead, the tall man gave a clean swipe. Sadly, it only severed a front leg as the beast jumped back.

But even then, it was enough to decide the conclusion of the battle. Having tremendously reduced its speed, it opposed no threat to the man.

Turning to face Brigan, he deemed it okay to give acknowledgment for the assist. "Kid, thanks. I got it from here." However, the wounded beast wasn't in consensus. With a speed that only cornered beasts could have bestowed upon them, the last remaining back arm swung out.

"You can give the kid name a rest Old Man." He to didn't see the action until the last moment. "Old Man! BEHIND!!!" Initiating a turn, the man got half way before his body lifted off the ground.

"OLD MAN!!!" Blood splashed Brigan as he watched the man whom he shared a short conversation with, but life-threatening comradery, be ruthlessly mowed down while the body tumbled and rolled on the ground.

If asked, he couldn't claim to have a deep bond. Still, these bond's lengths would often shorten considerably during crises like death experiences.

And it was on this such occasion that Brigan felt had they met sooner, or had a more extended interaction, they might've had become best friends.

But the beast appeared to give him no time to lament or grieve. It showed its adaptability by running off three legs as if it still possessed four, closing the proximity to its cause of anger and wanting to exact revenge.

Brigan met the aggression head on. Digging his bare feet in the soil, he launched forward, aiming to achieve his own vengeance. This time however, he struck with his fist that concealed the red box inside.

Engaging the attack was a giant paw gleaming with five deadly blades. What drove Brigan's fury further was the residue of blood dripping off it in vivid detail. "YOU NEED DISCIPLINE!!!" He growled out, trying to tame his raging anger more so than reprimanding the fiendish beast.

The claws only left mild scratches that hardly broke the skin surface as the fist penetrated forward, breaking bones and claws the same. Following the momentum, Brigan's fist arrived at the beast's head which he connected to bring his fist and its face downward.

Boom!

A slight cloud of dust flew skyward. Within the now sunk earth floor was a giant embedded beast head. Movements from it had ceased a while ago. "Argh!!!" Came the groan of the wounded man.

Brigan hurriedly reached the man's side. "Old Man, your alive?! Try to keep your strength. I'll get us both out of here." In no way did he want to aggravate the injuries.

"Hehehe! Kid, open your eyes. It's over for me, but I want to make a request. Can you do this for a dying stranger?" Nodding, Brigan chose not to interrupt. "Let's be clear. I'm only 29 this year."

Seeing the man stop to cough up blood, Brigan didn't continue letting the time slip pass. "Don't joke, tell me your will. If it's within my abilities, I will see it through."

"Thanks, Kid. My God Weapon, can you pass it on to my team? They will understand I fell in battle." Taking the claymore, he gave a firm promise to look for the man's team. Just as he thought the man had passed away, he got another shock.

"That?! An Ethereal Geno Art?! Ahh! So the myth is true..." Brigan watched the man succumb to his injuries. He had seen death in reality, but this scene was the first time presented up close.

Should he bury him?

With shaky hands, he covered the man's eyes. To survive and achieve the man's last will, he could only fortify his resolve and find a water source. For food, glancing at the dead beast, it was all for survival.

3