Chapter 2: I Was Born Into A Visual Novel?
3.2k 11 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

A man with a nervous look on his face was pacing up and down the hallway, in front of a room. His face looked nervous despite having had gone through this twice already, it never seems to get easier. He seemed to be waiting for something. A boy and a girl were sitting down on the metal bench next to the door. Above the door was a sign with its letters glowing red which read ‘Operation In Progress’. 

The thin six-year-old boy with jet black hair and had stars in his emerald eyes. He was excited that he was about to get a younger sibling. He could finally be like the reliable older brother in those cartoons. Then he stands up.

“Dad! Is it a boy or a girl?” He excitedly asked his father

“We are not sure yet… Just wait a bit. Okay, Akihiko?” He hurriedly replied

“But. You know everything, right, Dad?” He says

“Not right now, son…” as he pulls out a handkerchief to dab the sweat on his forehead

“Okay…” He pouts, sits down, and begins having daydreams about being an older brother

The eight-year-old girl with brown hair and blue eyes was patiently waiting with a calm expression as she read a book titled “How to stay calm for dummies”.

“Daddy! You should read this, it might help. It’s a guide to stay calm… for dummies.” as she closes the book giggles and goes to hand it to him. 

“Not now, sweetie, Daddy is busy right now.” ignoring her remark.

“Hmpf! Daddy… you dummy…” she huffs and looks around for something to do. Then suddenly, she smiles mischievously and begins to read out the contents of the book.

“Here are some helpful, actionable tips you can try the next time you need to calm down.

Breathe.

Admit that you're anxious or angry.

Challenge your thoughts.

Release the anxiety or anger.

Visualize yourself calming down

Give your daughter lots of swee-” 

Then the door suddenly creaked open and the sign above lost its light. They all went silent and looked expectantly at the blonde nurse.

“Congratulations, Mr. Shirou! It’s a boy.” She says warmly, then proceeds to open the door wider to show the inside.

In the back of the room, a woman with jet black hair, blue eyes, and milky white skin lay upon the bed tenderly holding a crying baby. She looks up with a gentle smile

“Azaki, dear… Hold him” she says with tears in her eyes

He holds out his hand and gingerly takes his newborn son. As he puts him into his arms the baby stops crying and then looks at him. He looks at his wife, who nods.

“Your name is Kazuya, Shirou Kazuya. I am your father…” the baby smiles then giggled.

“Dad! Can I hold him?” asks the eight-year-old girl.

“Sure Shinomiya, here. Now, be careful.” 

He says as he hands Kazuya to her. Her eyes light up

“So cute…”

The baby coos

“Hehehe, you can count on your Onee-chan to take care of you now,” she exclaims proudly

“Dad, can I hold him too?” he asks

Azaki nods

“Come on Shino-onee chan, let me hold him.”

“Hmmpf! No no no. Wait your turn like a good boy.” she says with a mocking grin as she looks at Akihiko

He looks at her, then proceeds to stare at his dad.

Azaki sighs “Shinomiya… Can you let Akihiko hold Kazuya for a bit?”

Shinomiya looks up at him, at his two brothers to then sigh

“Okay but only for a bit” as she hands him to Akihiko.

_________________________________________

Let's just say the sensation of being born was not fun. Don’t ask why.

“Waaahhhhhhh!!”

The light shines upon my eyes as I leave the darkness. I open my eyes to see a blonde woman look at me.

“Congratulations Mrs. Shirou Sakura. It’s a boy”

‘Thank God. I am glad to be a boy nurse-sama!’ I thought as if the congratulations were for me.

 Then she goes to hand me to a woman in her late twenties. She had jet black hair and a beautiful haggard face wearing a warm smile. 

‘She must be my mother then…’ 

I spot nurse-sama open the door and behind her, I see a six-foot-tall man with brown hair and sharp green eyes.

He comes closer and takes me into his arms and says

“Your name is Kazuya, Shirou Kazuya. I am your father…”

‘Noooooooooooo!’

I half expected him to bring out a lightsaber. Though thankfully not.

Then two children walk into the room. A girl with brown hair and blue eyes asks father something and takes me. 

“Sooo cute…”

‘Yeah, I think so too’ as I look at her deep blue eyes. ‘Well, she must be my sister then?’

Next, I am given to a boy with jet black hair and emerald eyes 

“I am Akihiko, your onii-chan. I will protect you, so you can rely on me.” he smiles brightly

“Waaaahhhhh!” 

 

_________________________________________

TIME SKIP: six years

Life as a baby wasn’t so bad. You do the essentials of life. Eat, sleep, and poop. I learned how to walk at the age of two and began to able to read at three. Even with my past knowledge, I felt as if I could learn and grasp new concepts faster. We were in the living room as the daylight peers through the windows. My mother was sitting on the sofa, with me on her lap.

“Wow! You are so smart, Kazuya!” says my mother, as I answer a complex algebraic equation…

“What is 2 × 9?”

“Mom… that’s too easy”

‘You're embarrassing me here mom!’ 

“Hahaha, yeah I know. Well, how about this. What are the two points of the algebraic equation a^2+4a+4=0, show your solution.” she points at the equation on a piece of paper on the table.

What? At least it’s algebra. That’s pretty complex for a kid my age. And no, my real age doesn’t count.

“(-2,-2) right?” as I simplify and write the solution on said piece of paper.

“Very good, that is it for today run along now,” she says as the door opens. And in comes my dad in a white suit.

“Which was it this time?” he asks.

“He breezed through basic algebra. At the age of six”, she sighs with a ‘they grow up so fast’ face.

“That’s my boy.” he puffs his chest out proudly then bends on to one knee in front of me.

“Kazuya? Do you want to come with me to see some cool robots?” He asks with a bright smile

‘Robots? Might as well, I haven’t figured out which visual novel I had been reincarnated in and this might serve as a clue’.

“Dear isn’t he too you-“

“Whaaa? Robots? Like, like the ones on TV?” I ask in a way I imagine an innocent six-year old child would react. 

Come on, it would really be weird if I answer in a way a teenager would

Wanna go see robots?

Yeah, whatever.

Yeah. No.

“Yeah like those ones. It’s the National Robotics competition. Want to come with?”

I look at my mom and I ask “Can I go? Please, please, pretty pleaseeee?” with the legendary puppy dog eyes

She stares at me for a minute. I relent until she finally breaks “Okay, just be careful. You too Azaki, do not let him out of your sight, okay?” She then hugs me and leads me towards my dad. 

“Don’t worry so much, I got this,” he says proudly.

“You remember what happened last time? Right?” she says while smiling

He does fake coughs and rubs the back of his head “Ahem. That was just an accident, I was so engrossed in observing the Flying Robo-” 

She looks at him still smiling as a vein appears on her forehead and then she breaks the pencil we were just using. “Yes… go on…” 

That sends shivers down both our spines. As we both back away slowly than when we were in close proximity to the door. 

“Well look at the time. Opening time is just about to start. And we really have to get going if we want to make it.” He says as he looks at his non-existent watch. We look at each other then he grabs my hand and rushes out the door

“Well, gotta go!”

“Wait! Be careful okay?” my mother says as we leave the regular stereotypical suburban house you would see in many animes.

“Sure thing!” my father yells back

I sit shotgun next to my father in the latest car of Shirou Corporation, the White Mercedes VX9, and yes a legit one this time, not a bike. 

‘Though, I do miss it’

My dad is Shirou Azaki is the owner of the prestigious Shirou Corp. which deals with cars and other machinery.

‘Pretty good family to get reincarnated in. And it's nice to finally have a family.’ I touch the silver cross necklace I asked for my 4th Birthday

‘Thanks for this.’ I thought as a tiny angel with blonde hair sits in front of me. Yeah, when I touch a silver cross she can project herself into this world. 

‘Of course! The great and divine Ange-‘ I let go of the silver cross. The tiny angel disappears

We talk now and again. Usually when I have nothing to do or she has nothing to do. To get in touch with me she can make the cross vibrate like a phone. She won’t explain how. In my head crosses are the phones of heaven. Wait, wouldn’t that mean the church invented the first phone? Wait? Wouldn’t that mean that Je… No. Let's stop there, I don’t want God to smite just yet… 

“Well, seat belts on. And wear this for me, will you?” He says as he hands me a badge that looks like a white circle with letters in the middle that reads ‘NRC20XX’. 

I wear the badge on the left breast part of my blue shirt. As my father also does the same.

Seeing me wear it, he accelerates. As we speed through the city he tells me about the event we were going to.

The National Robotics Cup was held in Tokyo. The place where young minds from different high schools pit their robots against each other in a series of challenges. Be it obstacle races, accomplishing specific tasks, and many more. 

“And this year a dark horse appeared. Keifuu Academy…”

‘Keifuu Academy? Where have I heard that before?’ 

It's been six years. And I don’t have a photographic memory.

 

 “…despite not having much luck in the last few years they had really risen through the ranks. I heard they were being carried by a girl in her first year of high school. And did you know…”

I tune out my dad for a bit and hold my cross. 

‘Does Keifuu Academy mean anything?’

She just sits there with arms crossed and eyes closed

‘the silent treatment huh?’ 

‘Hmmpf!’ 

‘Look, sorry okay? Will, you forgive me’

‘Hmm… nope.’ She doesn’t relent

‘Pretty pwease??’ I think in the cutest voice I can muster as I grasp the cross with both hands and cross my eyes. When I close my eyes while holding a cross, I can see into the marble room where I met Angelica. She is in the same position as her tiny self, only bigger.

She laughs out loud “hahaha! Is that you President Kyousuke? Taking reeaall advantage of your age aren’t you?’ she finally opens her eyes and points a finger at me.

‘A wise man once said, “Use every means at your disposal to gain victory”. I smile

‘And which wise man is that?’ 

‘Me.’

‘…’ she looks at me dumbfounded

‘Hahahahha! You really crack me up. But you know I can’t give you too much info. Thems the rules you know?.’ She says as she walks around the marble room.

‘Sigh. Okay, talk to you later, I can feel the suspicious gaze of my father’ I open my eyes to see my father who is looking at me quizzically while I grasp the cross for a few minutes.  

“It's okay, son.” he pats me on the back.

I look at him, not knowing what he means

“There comes a time in every man's life that he wants to offer himself to God. So if you want to become a priest. I will support you.” he says with a patronizing smile, as he once again focuses on driving.

‘… kill me now’

In front of me is an angel rolling around laughing while holding her tummy.

I let go of the cross and listen to my dad as he changes the subject and rambles on about robots. 

“National Robo-Cup here we come!” my dad exclaims as we drive off…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

54