Chapter 22: I Raced Him Around The Lake?
740 10 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Kazuya sped off I pursued not wanting to be outdone being taunted like that. I had found it weird that he could do such a thing as taunt someone as incessantly as that. 

‘I had him pegged as a calm, cool, brave manga like protagonist but why is he showing such a side of him that was like a villain in a sports anime?’ I thought as I switched gears to increase my pace. 

A road or mountain bike had gears, ranging from high to low. The basic premise being that a higher gear gave more resistance when pedaling making it harder to pedal but also allows you to move faster. Then there were low gears which made it easier to pedal but you need to pedal faster to achieve the same result as in high gear, so basically it’s about finding the right gear for the right terrain… 

As I saw the small silhouette of Kazuya riding up an incline in the distance, I felt a burst of energy at the sight.

“Hills! Now’s my chance!” I thought out as I feel a smile form in my face as I change to high gear and start dancing. Well not really dancing, in bike terms it could be called a dash by standing upright then swaying left and right as you pedal as to speed up, so different type of dancing…

I feel the wind on my face as ride on faster as I reach the foot of the hill I once again change gears but kept on dancing. Surging up the hill I feel my calves burn as I push on, then after reaching the top, only to change gears once again, to feel the bliss of riding downhill.

This went on for a bit as I was once again close to him, but this time he doesn’t taunt me. I shrug at the sight and continue on and pedaled faster as we went up hill. I inch closer and closer as I see him also doing his best trying on keeping his lead. As we reach the summit of the last him in the area… 

We I neared him, he sudden stands up to do another mad dash down the hill whilst looking at me with a smile as if to challenge me once more.

“Oh no you don’t Kazuya!” seeing what he was trying to do, I do the same, as the sparks of metal can be seen as we both changed gears and increased our cadences. 

As we were speeding down the hill, the sound of the wind can be heard as it’s our faces then we speed up with a help of gravity. I push with my all as I drove down the slope at a dangerous speed

I don’t think about how dangerous it would be if I fall

I push on as I came closer

I give my all to this downhill sprint as if it was the finish line.

We were neck and neck, and all I could think about was…

“I’ll surpass you Kazuya!!” I had shouted and before I know it.

I had finally gotten ahead…

_________________________________________

‘Huh? So that’s why…” after provoking him one last time I had finally grasp what was bothering him, and sure enough it was me. I was sure things were going too smoothly, and Aoi being the center of the group before, suddenly an outsider comes in and become the talk of everyone and even gets the attention of the girl he likes. It would definitely put me at odds with him… 

‘But enough about that and let’s focus on the race…

I thought as I looked to him as I snap out of contemplation only to see him…

“Son of a…” I almost swore in amazement at what I saw while Angelica bursts out laughing…

_________________________________________

As we reached the foot of the hill with me on the lead, I felt strangely accomplished. I was ecstatic but, before that there was something I needed to do…

I turn around

Smile

Wink

… 

“I did it!!”And then sprinted off as I felt elated to pay back him back for the constant taunting, I saw his face having an absolutely dumbfounded expression because of my action, but it was only icing on the cake. But I had to focus because that was the last hill before windmill hill…

_________________________________________

“I can’t believe he did that…” I was shaking my head with a dumb smile plastered on my face as the laughing angel gets a grip of herself.

“Told you it will bite you in the Be-hind” 

“I know, but its flats the whole way until windmill hill so no need to hold back” I say as I speed forward to catch up. This may not have been the best idea but its good to see that he has regained his confidence. 

“Now let’s have a race shall we! I’ll be trying to win now” I mutter as I click my shifters to change gears and hear the chain as it jumps from sprocket to sprocket. And I speed forward.

….

It had been another 15 minutes and we had finally reached the bridge that cuts the lake in half and also one of the ways to windmill hill. We rode ont the pavement at the side as I look at the gorgeous lake on either side of me, shining within the mid morning sun. The gap between us had been small up till now but now we had to fight against the wind that was consuming our stamina as we fought it, though I had a plan…

_________________________________________

I had kept up my lead but I was panting hard, from the constant dashes and as he only kept his distance now the wind is picking up. It is draining our stamina, as I look back it seemed to be affecting him too as he was also heavily breathing by the looks of it as we ride along the bridge but…

‘was that a smile’ I swore I saw him smile, which made me skeptical at sight then suddenly he speeds up.

“Oh no you don’t.” I mutter as I try to keep him behind me…

I was feeling exhausted as the muscles on my legs were crying, I he was still behind me and I was planning to keep it that way, the wind has taken its toll though. He was right behind me but it was strange he wasn’t tired at all he seemed to me like he was savoring his sweet time, as he looked at the scenery.

‘Don’t tell me…’ as I thought, I realized something as to why he isn’t tired at all, and the sight of this he looks at me suddenly and smirks as if to tell ‘So you finally realized, huh?’ then he speeds up as we left the bridge and over takes us.

“Thanks for the train ride Aoi!” He says as he drives past me with a gentle pat on the shoulder, as my legs were weary from being a wind break for him, so that was why he was always behind me…

I thought of this while he speeds past as we went through to the last hurdle the small distance between here and windmill hill. 

“I, I have to keep up!” I shouted as I pushed with all I had, and rode on despite fatigue…

_________________________________________

“That was kind of mean Kyousuke.” Angelica says to me with a skeptical look whilst I was sprinting. 

“Well he didn’t realize in time, so that’s that. And it isn’t as if I am not also exhausted, taunting him in the start really put a number on my endurance.” I said as I look to my legs. 

“Hmmm… Is this what they teach you when you do Kendo? To taunt your opponent?” Angelica says as she sways her crossed legs side to side as she sat upon my shoulder

“Nope, the opposite actually doing is unsportsmanlike and will get you a deduction in points or ippon. But, this is a friendly match plus I had to light his fighting spirit one way or another…” I mutter

The race was by no means normal because we were almost always at full speed the whole way as to not be left behind. Normally marathons are between 30-60 kms in distance so it being 10kms made it so that we disregard the part where we regulate our stamina and just sprint for the past 40 or so minutes. I had depleted his stamina by using him as a wind break, thinking he wouldn’t realize because he was so focused on keeping me behind him, because of all the taunting. Still though it is going to be close…

_________________________________________

‘Gah! How is he keeping his lead’ I curse inwardly as I looked at his back that seemed to be unreachable that whenever I accelerate he does the same keeping the distance between us…

“Hah… Hah…” I was panting heavily by now as we neared Windmill Hilll.

And as I think about this insurmountable distance I begin to think once again…

‘Am I cut out for this…’

‘Can I beat him…’

‘Should I just give up’

‘Maybe…’

‘Maybe I shou-‘

“Aoi! Are you really gonna give up that easily?! Are you that weak?!” I hear a voice in front of me shout as he slowed down to get in ear shot.

“Why do you ride a bike? Aoi?”

Why do I…

Because its fun…

And…

To feel the pain of climbing a hill, and the bliss of going downhill…

And to win…

Yeah…

“To win!” I shout before I realize

“Then chase me!” He shouts as he changes gear indicated by the sparks of his bike chain jumping from sprocket to sprocket, then sprints up the hills of Windmill hills.

Finally regaining my determination I ignore the muscles on my legs as they screamed in pain, then I rush forwards dancing, swaying side to side, accelerating up and down hills changing gears accordingly and efficiently…

We were neck and neck by the time we were within seeing distance of the building Kazuya was talking about, and as though this was an adrenaline shot we both shoot forward into the last hill that was between us and victory…

‘This my chance!’ I say as I push even harder up the hill. 

As he does the same seemingly ignoring everything around us, even the fatigue of our own bodies as we ride up, with nothing but the sound of the wind to accompany us. We rode on…

And as we reached to summit we were heavily panting but as we look to each other, only a smile could form as we were about to do the mad dash towards the finish line, I saw him even do a quick thumbs up as we changed gears for a downhill sprint.

“Here we go! I shout as we shot down the hill

Assisted by gravity and the adrenaline of not wanting to lose, and pushing on against Mr. Perfect, no. Against Kazuya! I dove with all my might as we neared he familiar grey building.

I can…

I can do this!

I can win! 

I thought as we rode up the final hill which at the top was the finish line

Neck and neck

We cycled on as we somehow both scream 

“AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!”

I had won…

"Woohooo!" I shout out from the top of the my lings, in pure bliss...

I reached the building before him…

I am better than him a something…

I am…

*Crash*

As I thought that I was suddenly cut off by the sound of a crash behind me as I turn my head…

“Kazuya!!!”

Sorry for two days of silence, I didnt know hot to tackle the race portion so I was in a bit of a rut Beep boop. But I am back hoomans! With two chapters today and maybe even tomorrow BoopBeep! 

30