Sequence 3.5: Ruffled Feathers
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having departed the landlady’s place of residence, we set off toward the tavern. Having traveled these roads consistently over the course of two days I had become somewhat more familiar with the layout of the town. Being able to better differentiate the monotony between the many sun-baked buildings and recognizing certain landmarks to help guide me through the town roads would help me avoid getting lost. Coming upon an intersection we’ve not yet been to did we come across a rather troublesome situation. It was there that the town's folk stopped to gather and watch as a hooded woman was being verbally assaulted by a group of rather thuggish men. They seemed to be causing quite the commotion, though it was none of my business I was interested in how this situation panned out. Before they could even touch her, she slapped their hands away.

“Get your hands off me.”

“Now, now, we just want to have a little word with you. You have no business snooping around, asking questions about things that don’t involve you.”

“That’s where you’re wrong. Knowing what that piece of shit did to my friend, I have every right to know where he’s hiding. So if you know where he is, tell me, right now.”

“Look here, if you start getting involved with our donor, I’m afraid our friends higher up won’t be pleased. And when they’re not happy, they take their anger out on us and have us clean up the mess. So now we go out and do the job, but we’re not too happy either so we take out our anger on whatever mess we gotta clean up. That means you, understand?”

“I could care less about how you assholes feel. It doesn’t compare to what that bastard did to my friend. You’re nothing but a few bitches that beckon at their master’s orders. I’m not gonna let a few dog’s get in the way on behalf of her murder.”

“Heh, you got a mouth on you lady, we warned you. Come on boy’s, let’s teach this bitch some manners.”

The men began their assault on the woman, attempting to grab and take her away. However she wasn’t eager to comply, slipping out of their grasp, her body flexed in ways I didn’t think were possible. 

“Stay still, you slippery cunt. Let’s stop fooling around, surround her!”

The men began to circle the woman, slowly cutting any normal means of escape. Surely subduing her would be a simple matter at this point. Not intending to stick around, the crowd around us had grown exponentially as folks came to see the commotion. We found ourselves stuck amongst the crowd, conforming with the bystanders, I had found myself bringing my attention back to the fight. 

“We got you now, should’ve backed off because now we’re gonna have our fun with you.” One of the lackeys smacked their lips.

However the woman seemed unphased by their remarks, calmly studying her situation and exploring her options. It was at that moment she began to bend her knees, placing her foot behind the other.

“What’s the matter, giving up? It’s too late for that, you’re gonna be our new squeeze.”

Before the thugs could finish up, the air around the intersection began to fog up. It was becoming increasingly harder to see what was going on. It started to become somewhat humid in a climate that was typically arid, I noticed that my clothing and skin had become somewhat damp despite the lack of rain. I realized at that moment that the hooded woman’s leg peeking out from under her cloak had somewhat of a metallic sheen to it. I could make out what appeared to be vents emitting what looked to be steam.

“I’ve grown tired of you assholes, I’ve asked you where that bastard was hiding and you’ve not only refused to answer but now you’ve wasted my precious time.”

    What happened next impressed me as it happened in the blink of an eye. Her body moved at a speed that I didn’t think was possible as her leg was propelled forward by the vented propulsion. Her leg whipped around her body in a circular fashion, as it came in contact with each of the attacker’s legs, an audible snap could be heard. The thugs all screamed out in pain as they collapsed to the floor, their legs snapped into improper placements to the point where some of their calf bones could be seen protruding out of their flesh. The crowd was horrified, and began to quickly dissipate. The lone woman now towered above her would-be attackers.

    “Do I have your respect, do I have your attention?”

    “Goddamn it you bitch, you’ll pay for this!”

    “That’s not what I want to hear.” She stated, stepping forward onto his calf-bone.

    “Ahhh! Bloody oracle, fuck me! Get your fucking foot off me!”

“Not until I hear what I wanna hear.”

“Ah fuck, okay. You fucking cunt! I’m bleeding out, can’t you see that?!”

“This is nothing compared to what you bastards did to her. I’m not here to mess around, are you ready to hear me out now?” 

“Fine, yes, yes, yes, yes. I understand, you wanna know what happened to your friend, yea? I’ll tell you.”

“I already know what happened to her, it’s your donor’s whereabouts that I want to know. Tell me where he is.”

“Ah, fuck. I-I can’t.”

“What was that?”

“I mean, the man you’re looking for, we haven't heard from in awhile either. So we can’t really help you.”

“Don’t lie, I’m losing my patience. So please, don’t fucking lie to me!”

“I’m not lying, I swear. Please, just please, no more.” He pleaded. He turned his eyes toward me. “You, you over there. Please do something, call the guards!”

“Hey! You’re not talking to him, you’re talking to me! Do I not have your respect, do I not have your attention?” She shouted, motioning her hand downward, she grabbed hold of his exposed calf-bone.

“Ahhhh, ahhh, ahh. No, no, no, no, no, oracle spare me.”

“Do you feel like talking now?”

“I’m sorry, i’m sorry! I understand, I see you. I promise! You have all my respect, all my attention, have mercy!”

“Good, I’m glad you understand.” She smiled, tearing the bone fragment from his calf.

“Ahhh, you fucking bitch. You’re fucking crazy. I promised to tell you everything! Ahhh, fuck!” He screamed out in pain.

“You’re about to keep your promise right now. So, if you don’t know where he is, tell me where he lives.”

“Fuck, I was going to tell you anyway.”

“Well, I’m waiting.”

“Okay, okay, the man you’re looking for, he had held up somewhere in the eastern part of town, I don’t exactly know where. He would only ever meet with us in public. Ask around for Akilah, she always knew where he was. There, are you happy, can you please let us go?”

“I see, so that’s all you know…” She sighed. Disappointed, she began walking in our direction.

“Wh-Where are you going!? You can’t just leave us like this!”

“The town guards will find you soon enough.”

“Ahh, fuck. You’ll pay for this you bitch. We know what you look like now, you’ll be running for the rest of your life once the bosses hear about this! Ahh, fuck, my fucking leg...” The thug continued to whine. 

The girl continued on her path toward us, feeling a little intimidated, I hid Shaia behind me. I instinctively put my hand on my dagger, likely a reaction to her killing intent. 

“What are you still doing here, the little girl shouldn’t have to see this. You people disgust me.” She remarked, glaring at me. “I’m sorry you had to see that.” She said in a tone different from before, her statement directed toward Shaia.

Before anything could be said she went off on her own, adorning her hood, she likely returned to pursue whoever wronged her, left with little to clues as to his whereabouts. Deep down, I felt oddly ashamed and somewhat insecure as to what had transpired. Exposing Shaia to all these situations that no child should have to endure, was it really alright for me to look after her? I brushed the thought away, we had places to be.

“Come on Shaia, we best be on our way.” I explained. She kept quiet, silently following my lead. There was no need for further conversation. Having wasted enough time, we headed toward the tavern.

=====================================================================

    The Silver Raven, situated in a quiet intersection of town outside the main roads, having come all this way it would seem I’d finally accomplish what I set out to do when I had arrived. We stepped inside to the roar of the patrons howling about and drinking. It appeared to be less of a tavern and more of an alehouse. Laborers off from work could be seen sparking up conversation, passing the time before their next shift or heading home to their families to rest, only to wake up before sunrise to get back on the grind. Salvagers could be seen chugging pints one after another, showing off trinkets they’ve collected during their dive into the network. Scanning the area, I spotted some space available at the counter, we walked over to take our seats where a barmaid was polishing tankards. Admiring the staff’s work attire I couldn’t help but notice their caps were adorned with silver feathers that seemed to compliment the theme of the establishment. Glancing at the area toward the end of the bar I noticed a large man situated near the counter giving us a hard look. Wiping up the dishes, the barmaid paused to see us sitting by the counter, just the same, I was just as surprised to see a familiar face.

    “I didn’t expect to see you here, nor did I think you could be working two jobs.”

“Yes, it’s certainly difficult managing two establishments. But I make ends meet.” The innkeeper slyly exclaimed.

    “You’re telling me you own this place as well?”

“But of course, isn’t that why you came here? I told Fatima to let you know to come here as I have something I wish to talk to you about.”

So that’s her name, huh. Assuming she’s talking about her assistant back at the inn.

    “Ah, well she did point us here, only after I paid her.”

“What? That woman… I swear. I’m so sorry, I can return you the money. Not now, but later, I assure you.”

“It’s fine, keep it. Think of it as a down payment for extending our stay at your inn. After all, we’ll need a place to rest while I have this one tagging along.”

“I can see, to think you’ve brought her along, and looking at her now, how cute she is all cleaned up. I was so busy yesterday, I never got to ask what your name is, little one.”

The little girl glanced over to me. I nodded.

“Shaia.”

“Shaia, what a pretty name for a pretty girl!”

With her hand over her heart, she gestured to shake the little girl's hand.

“My name is Shabanna. Peace be upon you.”

The little girl looked at me once again. I smirked and nodded. The little girl's hand reached out to meet the barmaid.

“Mm.”

“How precious. Is she your daughter?”

“Ah, no. Not my daughter, suffice it to say, her parents are no longer with us. I’ve taken it upon myself to look after her.”

“I shouldn’t have assumed. How awful, it saddens me to see the lives claimed by the Gravedigger’s curse. I’m not fond of the name, the plague has only been getting worse, her parents surely loved her. Surely we belong to the Oracle, and to her we shall return. It's a miracle she hadn’t been infected.”

“It wasn’t the plague, it was its victims, a couple of dregs. I was there to witness the chassis guards taking care of it. Sorry, do you mind if we change the subject? I came here looking for information, not to have the girl here dwell on painful memories.”

“I didn't mean to upset her. Though I’m happy to hear the criminals were caught, I truly feel for the little girl.” 

“It's okay, really! I love my mama and papa, I know they love me. That will never change, so I will never let the tears control me! Shaia will become a big girl that others can depend on like Grit!” The little girl chimed in.

“Are you sure you’re alright Shaia? It’s okay to cry, more than anything it shows just how tough you are, being able to cry without worrying how people see you, that takes guts. Sometimes tears can heal the heart.”

“Okay, when you grow old, Shaia will be the one to protect you! And when the dregs come to attack, I will cry and beat them up for you. And I will cry again and have respect from everyone. You laugh but you will rely on Shaia!” The little girl exclaimed.

“Heh, alright, alright, come on, try not to cry too much. Tell you what, if you can back up your words when I can no longer fight for you, I'll trust you with my life. You’re a tough kid.” I encouraged her, her face red with tears as I patted her head. “Sorry if we put you on the spot there, we didn’t mean to cause a commotion. ”

“No, I sincerely apologize, it was wrong of me to have made any assumption. I hope you can forgive me, Shaia.”

“Well... the lady at the inn was mean to us yesterday... maybe if you grounded her...”

“Hey, what happened to all that talk of becoming a respectable girl?“ I scolded, nudging her head.

“I’m sorry…” The little girl cooed. “I forgive you, I hope we can be friends.” 

“It’s quite alright, I’d be honoured to be your friend, Shaia.” The barmaid smiled.

“Now that we’ve settled the matter, but I’d like to get back on topic, I came here looking for some information. Would you mind telling us where we can find some newly excavated ruins?”

“It’s no problem at all, however I’m afraid I'm not the one to ask for that sort of information. I only serve drinks and tend to the patrons, but I’m sure Hani would know something. If you don’t mind waiting I can find out what he knows about any recently excavated ruins.”

“Sure thing, take your time.”

The barmaid approached the large man in the back who had been eyeing us the whole time and began to start up a conversation. While we waited, the little girl seemed fascinated by her surroundings, having never been in a pub, the atmosphere must have been overwhelming. Stimulated by the activities of the patrons all around her, the sound of cheeps and chirps had caught her attention. Small birds could be seen fluttering about, leashed to a group of salvagers entertaining themselves. Her eyes settled on the table where the group of salvagers were seen playing a game of Five Finger Fillet. Using a dull knife with their palms faced down on the table, they could be seen stabbing back and forth between their fingers. Taking turns, the next participant downed a shot of scotch, confident in his skill. Once again, stabbing back and forth from one side of the hand to the other, the knife came slamming up and down, and up and down, until it went up and down in between the knuckles. The little girl was unable to look any longer as she winced at what had just occurred. The salvager cursed in a foreign tongue, while the others laughed. Pulling the knife out of the wound, he grabbed onto one of the leashed birds and muttered .

Soglasje.” 

The gash between his knuckles began to heal, the wound closing itself shut, the bird could be heard shrieking. The color of its plumage dulled, it struggled to fly as the pinions on its right wing were mangled, pieces of it falling to the floor. Neglecting the condition of the bird, the salvagers began to drink themselves under the table as they continued with their game. Discouraged from observing her surroundings, the little girl sulked down on the counter. She was likely still traumatized from earlier. Though she perked up a little bit as she saw the barmaid her way back. A drunk patron called out to the barmaid asking for a refill, she shrugged him off explaining she was busy with another patron. Though the drunk continued to pester her, eventually the large cook intervened to settle the dispute. Tired of waiting, I had high hopes for her long talk. It would seem I might actually get some useful information.

“Apologies for the delay, some patrons drink themselves stupid sometimes.”

“I’m sure, it seems that old grump of yours proved to be quite helpful.”

“Who, Hani? I suppose, sometimes he can be more trouble than he's worth, believe me. He can be so stubborn, you wouldn’t even believe the smallest things we argue over.” She chuckled, the large cook could be seen giving me an intense glare. 

“He seems like a nice guy despite the mean look he’s giving us.”

“Don’t mind him, he’s just being wary, never know who you can trust after all. I admit, he can be a little overprotective, but he has good intentions.” She half-smiled. “I’m sorry, it seems we’ve gone off topic.“

“Shame, I was really enjoying the conversation.”

“Hah, maybe another time. Now, in regards to the information you’re looking for, there is something you should know before we continue. Just know that although I don't mind helping you out, you should be more careful about who you talk to and what you say. Kindorians have been taking advantage of the Khan's generosity under the peace agreements. Looking to monopolize on salvaged artifacts, they are more than willing to ward off any interested parties within this region. Should you bark up the wrong tree it wouldn't be hard for them to find you.” 

“I don't doubt it, I was surprised to see so many of their soldiers stationed here. Not satisfied with the artifacts they mine from Svarogrod, they even wish to take the smallest scraps from outlying towns like this. Those in power will never be satisfied. Regardless, I’d like to think I’m pretty good about watching my back, what makes you think otherwise?”

“You sound so sure of yourself, but for starters you forget there aren't many men that fit your description, among the common folk around here, your auburn hair makes you stick out like a sore thumb.”

“Huh, shit. Well there's isn't much I can do about my hair though. I do appreciate the heads up though, I’ll try to be more careful.”

“Well, it should be fine, from what I’ve heard from Hani, nobody has reported anybody matching your description. Now, let me tell you something interesting. Those ruins you happen to be searching for, Hani informed me about something that might be related. It would seem there is a noble in town, a patrician visiting from The Republic. Seems he funded the excavation of some nearby ruins and is recruiting men for an expedition into the network.”

“He’s planning an expedition into the network? Without the support of an actual military he’s bound to get himself killed.” I scoffed.

“Well I’m sure you’ll find it surprising that he has full support from the Chief Imperator.”

“The Ruler of the Republic is supporting him?” I questioned. I found it strange, what could the Chief Imperator possibly want with some old sacrilegious ruins? 

“I couldn’t believe it either, The Republic bequeathed him a squadron of Chassis soldiers and sorcerers, it would seem these ruins are rather important. Though I can’t imagine why the man would hire mercenaries if he has the backing of the Republic.”

“I can take a guess, the patrician probably wants to use them as bait or fodder for the living metal down there. It’s likely cheaper than replacing well trained soldiers more in tune with Ljóss.”

“Even if that were the case, this expedition has caught the attention of salvagers from all around. We’ve been getting a lot of traffic because of it, those salvagers over there came all the way from Svarogrod.” The barmaid pointed at the table of salvagers who had been playing the knife game.  

“Well, it’s to be expected. Ruins that may be hiding a new entrance into the network is sure to be filled with ancient artifacts worth a hefty sum of coin.”

“Had I the ability to exceed my status as a lowkin, well… I might be inclined to join as well….” The barmaid pined. “Anyhow, from what Hani told me, I hear that the noble has rented out the local journeyman’s guild for recruitment and registration.”  

“Is it close? You think you can tell me how I can get there?”

“Sure, I can help you with the directions. But first, Shaia here seems a little parched. Though we don’t have any food, I’d be happy to serve Shaia here something refreshing.”

“Sorry, I’m afraid I lack the coin for a drink.”

“Are you sure? It's on the house, I’ve taken a liking to the little one.”

“I appreciate it, but I won’t be able to repay you. I won’t be in town for long after all.”

“Please I insist, no need for you to return the favor. It's the least I can do for the poor girl.”

“If that's the way you feel, you’re free to do so.”

“Fantastic. Now, how about I get my new friend something nice to drink. Hani, get me a Nanalimo on the double!”

The large cook who had been giving us quick glances returned to his work and began dicing up lemons, squeezing them into a small cup he put to the side. Mixing what seemed to be sugar and water in one pan, he set aside another cup of water.

Tajamud.” 

The cup of water he had set aside had turned to ice, he then proceeded to grind some leaves and ice in another bowl till it turned into a green paste. The smell of mint wafting through the room. He mixed the cold paste with the sugar water into a small glass adorning it with a sprig of those green leaves. 

“Here you are, my habibti, Nanalimo made fresh, this is sure to brighten your day.”

The little girl eyed the drink curiously, unsure if she should drink it. The barmaid slyly placed one finger near the base of the glass. The barmaid whispered a word to herself whilst the glass of Nanalimo began to shine. The little girl gasped in awe, mesmerized by the glowing liquid. As her curiosity grew, so did the urge to drink the fabricated miracle that was set before her. The little girl could no longer resist, she picked up the glass and began chugging it down. Her eyes wide, it seemed she was enjoying the drink as much as we were entertained by her reaction. Her small frame unable to drink it whole, she set the glass down to catch her breath.

“How is it? Do you like it?”

“Ish good!” The little girl sputtered as she began to drink from the glass again. 

“I’m glad to hear it, we’re happy to make it for you anytime.” The barmaid smiled.

“What’s that, it's not ale is it?”

“No, of course not. I’m not looking to get the girl drunk, I’m only looking to treat her to a little something nice.”

“Fair enough, I just wish life went about treating her just as nice as you do. Even so, mind telling me where exactly the place for recruitment is?”

“You can find them at the local Journeyman’s Guild, it isn’t too far from here. Take the road outside and follow it south, you’ll find yourself at the bazaar. From there just follow the road all the way up until you hit an intersection at the road. Take the right path then immediately take a left and you should see the Journeyman’s Guild. Also, should you wish to stop by, my inn is down the other road where the intersection is.”

“It was that close? To think it was just a matter of crossing the street. In any case, Shaia shouldn’t have a hard time walking such a short distance. I appreciate the help.”

“You seem to care for the little girl despite not knowing her very well.”

“It’s not that I care about her, I mean-. Look, it’s just that I don’t want her growing up with the possibility that she could be taken advantage of without someone to look after her.”

“I see, well do you have any idea what you’re going to do about her situation when you decide to make the decision to leave town?”

“Not quite.” I clicked my tongue. “But look-”

“I need to use the toilet!” The little girl exclaimed. Startled by her response, the innkeeper got out from behind the counter.

“Come, I’ll show you where to go.”

Sitting at the counter, I watched them approach a hallway near the back. Shabanna called out to another barmaid to watch over the little girl while she went about her business. As the other barmaid and the little girl disappeared around a corner, Shabanna came and approached me.

“About earlier, I had told you that I had something to tell you once you arrived here, it’s about Shaia.”

“Alright, what about her?”

“Look, If you’re worried about having someone look after her, I’m willing to take her in. She’ll have somewhere to stay if you leave her with me.”

“I appreciate the offer, but I’m perfectly capable of protecting her myself. And we have plenty of places to stay, the inns provide all the shelter we need. And if need be, I’ll stand up against anything that wishes to harm her, humans and machines alike. So you don’t gotta worry about her safety, I got it covered.”

“That’s the thing, you shouldn’t need to protect her from others. Do you plan to drag her wherever you go? You’re bound to get into danger and she might get hurt because of you. You say you are a freelancer but the reality is you’re nothing more than a mercenary, the battlefield is no place for a little girl.”

“Then I’ll keep her at an inn, have the innkeepers look after her. So long as there are individuals looking to explore the network or require protection during an excavation, I'll always have work as a mercenary.”

“The inn is not a home, it only serves as a temporary place to rest at best. I imagine renting a room every night will only add to your expenses. Even if you do work it out somehow, as a mercenary you put yourself at risk, what happens if you die, leaving the girl you promised to look after all alone. The girl needs someone familial to look after her, and she needs to socialize with others her age. She doesn’t need to suffer from guardian abandonment. That’s not a life you want for her, is it?

“Of course not!” I stammered. “There’s no arguing with your logic, I just can’t help but feel a little attached to the little girl. You’re right, I lack the parental experience to take care of her.” I sighed.

“Look, I’m more than happy to take her in and look after her. I have plenty of room for her at my home. This is where she was born, she’ll be safe here with the people she knows.”

“Yeah, but…” 

“But what?”

“No, nevermind, you’re right. I am a mercenary, I don’t have time to look after a little girl. I never intended to grow this attached. She just happened to remind me of someone I knew. That’s all it is, so yeah, I’ll entrust her to you.” 

“Well i’m glad you’ve come to understand. You made the right choice, she’ll be able to live a normal life here. And look, I’m not looking to cut you out of her life completely. You’re more than welcome to come by and check up on her as well.”

“Maybe. But I don’t think she’ll want to see me ever again once we break the news to her. Just promise me, she’ll be safe with you.”

“Well, alright. And of course, I will care for her as if she were my very own. Just don’t forget, I’m not looking to cut you out of her life entirely.” She assured me.

“Grit! Come to the toilet! The water is all glowing now!” The little girl chimed in. “Huh? You both look sad, did you want to see it come out?”

“Ah, no. Everything’s fine. You can sit back down and relax.” I explained. “We just happened to settle a little dispute, that's all. And Shabanna here was just telling me about a job.” 

“Are we going somewhere again?”

“You could say that, though I suppose this time it’ll be more of a solo trip.”

“Hmm?”

“Come to think of it, it's about time I started heading out. Shabanna mentioned an urgent job that's worth checking out, I don’t feel like stalling any longer. So, it's time to get a move on.”

“Grit, before you go, take my advice and be sure to watch yourself out there. Journeyman, chassis or civilian, you never know who you can trust in Rinsaad.”

“Heh, I appreciate your concern, I’ll keep it in mind. Shaia, I’ve got things I need to take care of and I need you to stay here. Shabanna here will look after you while I'm gone, okay?”

“I don’t want to stay here. I’m ready to go with you!”

“Sorry, but that ain’t gonna happen, I wouldn’t want you getting hurt. So, I’ll be seeing ya, little girl.”

“Where are you going!?” Shaia yelled, standing up from her chair.

“I won’t be gone long, no need to worry. But I need you to stay here till I return. You understand?” I commanded. I looked over to Shabanna. “I’m leaving her in your care.”

“You have my word. She’ll be safe with me.”

“You promised, right?! When I’m in danger, you would always be there, right!?” She yelled.

Passing by the many patrons, moving to avoid stepping into any spilled ale, I approached the front door of the tavern.

“You said you would always be there!” She screamed brimming with tears.

My back turned away from her, I gestured a farewell with my hand. The barmaid left the counter to hold and console the little girl.

“If you leave, I’ll hate you! I will never forgive you!” 

“It’ll be alright, be still Shaia.”

“No! Let go of me! I’m going too. He can’t leave without me!” 

The little girl thrashed about, slipping out from the barmaid's hold. She dashed toward me, attempting to catch me before I made my exit.

“I’m coming with you!”

To her surprise, the little girl stumbled and bumped into somebody. The large cook had obstructed her path. Picking her up, she was given no opportunity to stir up any more ruckus, the little girl thrashed about in the air. She demanded the cook let her go, though he wouldn't budge. It could be seen that some patrons were upset by the commotion, they clambered up to let the girl go. However one look from Hani intimidated them leaving them to do nothing but to keep quiet and return to their drinks.

“Thank you Hani. Come now, there's no need to cause a commotion.”

“No! Please! You can’t leave!” She cried. Thrashing about, the little girl began to tire.

“That’s enough, it’ll be alright. Come now Shaia, let's go and get you cleaned up.” 

The barmaid gestured over to me. Urging me to go, she would take good care of her.

“I don't want to be alone... don’t go…” The little girl whimpered.

I stepped outside, back into the dusty streets. The little girl's cries were still heard even outside by nearby passerbyers. I lost sight of my original goal, I had no time to waste on babysitting a child. However, was it really for the best? Of course it was, had the little girl stuck around me any longer she would only be subject to danger, putting her life at risk. I couldn’t bear to see her get hurt, could I? Disregarding the feelings that yearned to be let loose, I focused my attention on what that barmaid had told me. Knowing that there was even the smallest possibility of those dark-blooded ancient ones, I yearned to uncover their secrets. After all, perhaps learning to better understand them would help me learn more about myself.

0