Sequence 4: A Friend
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before heading off to the journeyman’s guild I set off to find a local husbandry, after all I would need to look the part if I was going to apply for the exploration. Coming upon the nearest one on my way to the guild, I entered its doors in hopes of purchasing some disposables. I was welcomed to a cacophony of howls and screeching a multitude of caged animals, their uproar seemed to have been caused by the sight of my sudden arrival. I never much liked coming to these places, knowing how poorly the owners treated their live stock. Reminded of the foreign salvager back at the bar, it only served to show how cruel people can be with the lives of others. 

 Despite my reservations in coming here, it appeared that much of this store was kept rather clean, the animals looking quite alive and healthy. Curiously, upon further inspection of the store, there appeared to be no staff present. Turning into the various aisles I discovered the shop was filled with quite the variety of various animals and beasts. Examining the ones that intrigued me only to continue browsing for what I hoped would be the right match. Passing by some bird cages did I hear a distinct caw, turning to see what it was I was surprised to see a rather curious hawk. Looking at me with beady eyes, it cawed once more, it seemed to have been happy to have caught my attention. Perched on its display branch, it poked its head through the bars of the cage. Seemingly interested in me, I cautiously approached it, only to be interrupted by the sudden appearance of a young man.

“A-ah! H-Hello! I’m sorry I didn’t hear you come in, welcome to my h-humble establishment. A-are you perhaps here to purchase a pet?” He stuttered. 

    Who I assumed was the store owner appeared to be much younger than I had imagined, he appeared quite timid and wore what appeared to be a large pair of glasses. His skin a paler color, it didn’t seem like he was from around here.

“How interesting, this is the first t-time that hawk has shown interest in somebody. D-Did it catch your eye?”

“Ah, no. I just happened to get a closer look, that's all.”

“I-I see. Well I don’t get many f-folks coming in here but I’m happy to show you around. I also have a large stock of insects on s-sale for a very good price.” He explained.

“Insects, huh. I was thinking of buying something with a little more substance, maybe a rat or a lizard.”

“A-ah, I’m a-afraid I’m all out of those little c-critters, b-but I’d be happy to show you around to see if anything catches you e-eye!”

“Alright, let me see what you have. But you know, this is a nice place you have here, not sure why anybody wouldn’t want to shop here.”

“W-well, I uh don’t get out much… The f-folks here don’t really like me, they say I charge t-too much for the animals and that I pry into their reasons for b-buying them.”

“I gotcha, you’ve clearly put in the hard work, the animals all look like they're brimming with life. I don’t blame you for charging a premium.”

“W-well… that’s not exactly the reason I charge so much… It’s kinda selfish actually. B-but I can’t help it, I’ve taken good care of these animals most of their life, it hurts to see them g-go.”

“Heh, nothing wrong with being a little selfish. But considering how healthy they are, I gotta ask, where exactly do you source them from? I assume they’re wild, no?”

“N-no, sometimes I end up f-finding them abandoned on the street. Though I t-typically get them from others in the same line of w-work. Many of them start out sick, and seeing as nobody really wants them, I buy them for c-cheap.”

“I see, it must be difficult for you. I can’t imagine all the time it takes to devote most of your time to taking care of all these guys.”

“A-ah no, I-I mean yes… It’s hard, but I just c-could never bear to see them so hurt, nursing them back to health is one of my greatest joys. I always wanted a p-pet growing up, but it never worked out, so I ended up opening my own husbandry.”

“Huh, well I can’t really say I get where they're coming from. Besides, you seem like a pretty nice guy.”

“Y-you think so? I-I mean I know I can be a little weird. But this is the first time in a long time that I’ve been able to enjoy talking with somebody about animals. I-If you decide to shop here again, maybe we could talk some more?”

“Hah, no need to . If you want me to be your friend, I’d be more than happy to.” I exclaimed. 

“R-Really, you’d be my friend?”

“Well, yeah, why not?”

“Then m-my name is Lobsang, what should I call you?”

“It’s Grit.”

“I’m glad we could meet, Grit.” He smiled.

“Likewise.” I responded. Lobsang, it was a name not traditionally given to children in Rinsaad. Had his family moved here from the southern territories? It would explain his skin’s lighter complexion, a question for another day, perhaps. 

“But you know, perhaps it would be best if I shop elsewhere for the time being, it wouldn’t feel right for me to bring any of these animals into battle.” I continued.

“N-no it’s fine. It’s my fault for having brought it up. B-but if I have discouraged y-you from buying any animals, perhaps you’d be more interested in b-buying insects instead?”

“I mean I was interested in this hawk over here…”

“I-If it’s just for healing, insects can do the job j-just the same!”

“Hmm, is that really true?”

    He continued to urge me to buy the insects he had in stock, I could see he very much cared for the animals he had in his care despite being in a position where his entire career heavily relied on the sale of said animals. After all, there was nothing he could do should someone wish to buy any of his animals, they would no longer be in his care, having become property of the customer. He could only hope his words would be enough to convince the buyer to treat them with care and respect.

    “Hah, alright, I get it. After all, I came in here not really thinking what I should get.”

“I also s-sell them in b-bulk so… W-wait, really? You mean it, you’re really interested in p-purchasing some of the insects I have in stock?”

    “That’s what I’m saying.”

“T-That’s… G-G-Great to hear!” He cheered. “I have tons of locusts available, l-let me go and package them for you right away!”

    “Wait, I still want the hawk included in my purchase.”

    “H-Huh? But the insects, they… ” He hesitated.

“Don’t worry, I won’t be taking it with me out into battle or for healing. It would serve me better as a scout. I wouldn’t want to see it get hurt.” I explained.

“A-Ah, I see! Not a p-problem, not a problem at all.” He said joyfully. “W-well then, follow me to the counter so I can g-get you all sorted out!.”

“Sure.”

“Now it’ll be 5 silver for the locusts, though since their on sale I can give them to you for 3 silver. As for the hawk... it comes down to 85 silver.”

“85 silver? Damn, if it costs that much, I think I might just buy the bugs and nothing else.”

“W-well the reason is because that hawk in particular is f-female. The males alone cost 50.”

“It is? Huh, but still, I don’t think I’ll be able to afford those prices. I might just take your offer for the locusts alone.”

“H-hold on! B-because she seems to have taken a liking to you and you’re n-not looking to bring her into a fight, I’ll personally take off 50 silver, plus a discount, bringing the p-price back down t-to 25 silver.”

“Really, are you sure that’s alright with you?”

“I-It’s fine, I trust you’ll treat her w-well. Also, you’re a friend... A-and if you d-don’t mind, maybe you could stop by and visit so I c-could see how she’s doing. I-if that’s alright with you.”

“Hah, sure, that’s fine with me. Besides, maybe you could teach me a few things about how to take better care of her and share some of your animal knowledge as well.”

“I-I would be more than happy to!”

“It’s a promise then.”

“Ah, but b-before you go, would you like me to tether her to you?”

“Hm? Ah, yeah sure. I suppose a rope would help to prevent her from flying away.”

“N-Not that kind of tether.” He smiled. “What I meant was t-to tether her to your soul, it’ll h-help prevent her from leaving you. I d-don’t particularly enjoy making these c-contracts, but i’ll make an e-exception for you. Y-You can also give her c-commands though the use of s-sorcery as well.”

“Ah, I don’t think that’ll be necessary then, you see… I’m an invalid.”

“An Invalid? Oh, I-I’m terribly sorry, I had no idea you lacked a g-galdr! Still… it shouldn’t be a p-problem, sorcery is only n-needed to command her, the t-tethering however prevents her from straying too far from y-you.”

“In that case… sure, why not.”

“G-Great! Then let us get started, this won’t take long. I’ll be n-needing something from y-you first though.”

“Sure, what’s that?”

“This.” He urged me closer, pulling a strand of hair from my head. “That’s one piece of the p-puzzle, as for the other-” He gently plucked a feather from the hawk. “I now have everything I need.”

Lobsang brought out a small square metal plate, it’s surface inscribed with ancient runes and various symbols unrecognizable to me. He placed the strand of hair and the feather onto its surface and began to invoke some form of sorcery into the plate, the runes glowing in response. I could feel a stinging burning sensation in response, although it was no longer part of me, my body seemingly reacted to the feeling of Ljóss coming into contact with the strand of hair. The pain was only mildly irritating.

“What is this?”

“Alchemy, I am distilling and manipulating the essences of the materials to help forge a bond between you two.”

Huh, strange, seems like all this focus has somehow helped him get rid of his stutter. The strand of hair and feather on the plate seemed to take on an otherworldly glow, apparently growing brighter. Before my very eyes, the materials seemed to disassemble themselves into glowing strands, dissipating into nothing.

“What happened, where’d they go?”

“Seems they have been successfully forged into an idea…” He sighed, sweat dripping from his brow.“You’re both t-tethered to each other now, an inseparable b-bond, she has become your Fylgja.”

“My what?”

“Fylgja, she is your helping spirit, your follower.”

“Huh, okay, well great. But uh, your explanation didn’t really explain where the hair went, it felt like a part of me is somewhere else.”

“Having been blessed by the song of the dwarves, It’s not something even I understand or can truly g-grasp, it just is. Just know that somewhere beyond our realm in the halls of Nidavellir, somebody is carefully watching over the bond between you two.”

“Alright, I suppose there are some things we are never meant to fully understand. Well, anyway, do I owe you anything?”

“Hm? Oh, no, n-not at all! I only hope you two will g-grow to get along.”

“Hah, alright. And yeah, I’m sure we will.”

“I’m g-gonna miss her, b-but I trust you two will be a good f-fit.”

“No doubt, though it’s about time I head off. I’ve got somewhere to be, it was nice meeting you, take care, friend.”

“L-Likewise, you take care as well and please, f-feel free to come again!” He bowed.

Finishing up the purchase that morning, I found myself making two new friends that afternoon, along with a bag full of locusts. Hoping to see me again, I said farewell to Lobsang, who eagerly awaited our next intervention.

“I never gave you a name, did I?” Looking at the hawk. “Perhaps you’ll bring me luck, maybe even bring us fortune. How does that sound, Edith?“ The hawk cawed in response. “I guess it's settled then.”

Having accepted her new name, I had found myself a new companion, and together we headed onward to the journeyman’s guild.

===================================================================== 

Having finally reached our destination, I was at a loss of words at the long line leading out from the building. It would appear that mercs and salvagers from all over had been informed of the patricians’s recruitment for their exploration of a new network passage. The line stretched all the way down the road, causing crowding in the streets. If I had known things would be this bad, I would have shown up sooner. With no other choice, we headed to the back and awaited our turn to enter the building. Arguments ensued as others attempted to cut each other out of the line, though I couldn’t be bothered to waste my energy on such trivial matters. It was best to conserve energy as the sun rose high, bearing down on us, it wouldn’t feel too good to be both angry and sweaty in this heat.

As time passed, what felt like hours had only been a couple of minutes. It helped that Edith was with me as interacting with her helped to keep me distracted. Around me, many of the participants carried multiple birds and small rodents. It was to be expected, having to delve into unmapped regions deep into the network without knowing what was down there was sure to cause unforeseen danger if they weren’t careful. Her head turned, I could see Edith eyeing their livestock, she appeared to be hungry. Though I didn’t want to waste them, I opened the package of locusts I had bought from Lobsang and quickly picked one before any could escape. Offering it to Edith, she happily chewed on her snack, I would need to save the rest for later just in case.

After a couple of hours, we stood near the very walls of the building, it’s doors a stone throw away. It wouldn’t be long now, however at that moment a chassis guard stepped out onto the streets and declared worrisome news.

“Due to an over abundance of applicants, we will only be accepting the next 100 individuals waiting in line. A message from our lord.” He declared.

    The news was certainly disappointing, however our place in line wasn’t that far behind, we were very much within the next 100 in line. 

“You gotta be fucking kidding me!” A man called out from behind us. 

“We’ve been waiting here all day!” Another man cried out.

Seems those having shown up late had grown restless having waited in line all day, weltering in the sun. However, this was of no concern to me, we would enter the building soon enough, it wouldn’t be long now. It was at that moment, a rather angered individual began forcing his way through the line.

“Get out of my way, if you’re looking for good soldiers then you found one!” A man yelled forcing his way to the front of the line. He approached the guard stationed at the door.

“I can’t do that sir, step back and return to the line.”

“You kidding me? I’m worth ten of those dregs in line!”

“Sir, if you don’t step back I will resort to force.”

“I can take you on. I’m more than capable of standing on my own!”

“Hoh, can you now?” A raucous voice called out.

    A rather large distinct chassis soldier approached the upset volunteer. His armor was different from the others I've seen, clad in what appeared to be a mix between traditional kindorian plated steel and pieces of what appeared to be old world clothing. There was age in his voice, he was likely a seasoned soldier who had served in many wars. His intervention would not bode well for the easily angered merc. Seems that he had been watching the argument play out from the sidelines and had now come to join the fun.

    “Who the hell are you?”

    “Not important, there’s no time to ask questions in a battle.”

“Tch, you wanna die old man? I’ll ki-” Before he could speak, the man was slapped into the wall. 

“Hmm, I thought you would be able to endure that. Maybe I went a little too far.” He spoke with concern. “Well, either way, I have to say, there was truth to his statement..” The old soldier turned his attention to those waiting in line.

“Sorry to say, but we have no need for weaklings on this exploration. That’s the truth, as such I've decided to change plans, we will not be accepting any more volunteers.” He bellowed. This was a problem, to think, I had come all this way only for some idiot to mess it up for everyone else. 

“Sir, I don’t mean to interrupt but the noble requested we gather as many skilled individuals as we could. We might lose out on some promising recruits.“ The soldier at the gate said. 

“Hmm? In that case… Tell you what, Here’s a proposition for you lot, should you wish to challenge my notion, then I urge you to prove your worth, that goes for all of you. If you can last a minute in battle with me, I’ll allow you to register for the mission. So, any takers?” He grinned.

This might be the chance I’ve been looking for. Despite my reservations from the other day, having not been too keen on fighting the chassis soldiers back in the mansion, it wasn’t because I couldn’t fight back but because of how much I would stand out. With no one eager to confront him, I stepped forward. Edith would do me no good here, so I let her loose, hoping she wouldn’t interfere with the fight.

“Oh? You wish to accept the challenge, kid?”

“I’ll give it a shot, it doesn't hurt to try.”

“Hrmph, alright. I better even out the playing field then.”

    He began to disarm himself, tossing aside the armor he had been donning. Taking off his helmet, I was met with a rather gruff, bearded old man. His body was covered in scars, showing the history of his experience, what shocked me the most however was that he was missing an arm.

    “What’s the matter, having second thoughts?” He grinned.

    “No, just impressed is all.”

    “Hah, well then, let’s begin.”

    Though my capabilities were limited, being unable to perform sorceries, there were some advantages to the blood that rushed through my veins. Being able to recover from wounds is certainly a blessing in this world, however there are other uses to my blood. Increasing the blood flow within my body, I can strengthen my muscles to a certain degree, as a result my constitution would significantly improve. Able to harden my muscles and increase the speed of my attacks, I should be able to show my worth to a certain degree. However it would take some time for it to take full effect.

    “What’re you standing around for? Let me see what you’ve got.” 

    Without a second thought I lunged forward, hoping to fake him out by facing him head on, I quickly pivoted to his side. Having witnessed the fight between the hooded girl and the thugs from earlier I hoped to mimic her movements. Pumping blood into my leg cavities, I bolstered its strength just enough to maim, I had no intention of fatally harming him. I aimed my sights at the old man's ankles, intending to knock him off his feet.

“Oh, quick on your feet are ya?”

    As my leg came in contact with his ankles, I felt its movement halt. His leg had withstood the pressure and impact of my attack. 

“Hah! That was a good attempt, it certainly had some ‘Oomph’ to it! You might prove to be better suited to the mission than that other lad.” He exclaimed. “Now then, let’s see if you can handle this.” 

    Squeezing his fist, I sensed a very familiar power emanating from him. It appeared he had used some form of sorcery to strengthen his body, likely the reason he resisted my attack. He was beginning to charge up for a powerful strike. This was my opportunity to let loose, I wouldn’t underestimate him this time. Pumping as much blood as I could into my upper body and arms, I began to strike at the old man’s abdomen repeatedly at rapid speed. However just like his legs, I could feel how sturdy his body was. Attempting to get in as many punches as I could, the old man had finished consolidating energy into his attack. I barely had time to react as he swung his fist with incredible speed, perhaps even quicker than the hooded woman. Transferring the excess blood from my pectoral muscles into my arms, I attempted to block his attack. A poor decision on my part, the strength of his punch was more than I could endure as I felt the bones within my forearms splinter from the sheer force of his attack. With enough force to knock me off my feet, I managed to stand my ground, as I was pushed back several feet. 

“Impressive! I didn’t expect you to survive my punch. I had intended to knock you out with that one. You’ve piqued my interest, what’s your name, kid?”

“Not important, there’s no time for questions on the battlefield.”

“Hah! You’re a funny one. Alright, that settles it, you’ve certainly proven your worth.”

It would appear my efforts had , however, my arms were left severely bruised. His strike had not only shattered bone, but it had also caused my forearms to swell, the blood clotting as the area under the skin inflamed, causing a buildup of fluid that looked eager to burst. It had turned a bloody purple, the damage had become very apparent. This was something I could certainly heal with my blood, though the extremity of the internal damage was greater than what I experienced at the mansion.

“Those arm’s of your’s need immediate care. Come on over kid, I’ve got something to fix that.” The old soldier beckoned.

“I’ll be fine, I’ve got some insects to heal me.”

“Kid, you’re gonna need a lot more than a handful of bugs to remedy that arm of yours. Besides, it’s my fault for going too hard on you and I can see the visible contusions . If we don’t fix those arms of yours soon, it’ll leave you with permanent nerve damage. So stop acting foolish and come here.”

“Alright, but I doubt you have anything that could heal me.”

Strange, despite having sustained similar injuries before, I felt incredibly weak for some reason. It would appear the strength of his Ljóss had somehow upset the blood flow within my body. It was likely for the best that I take his offer, I don’t believe I’m in the best condition to move on my own. The old man called for a guard to bring him something, it looked like some kind small tube. 

“I’ll be borrowing this.” He said, taking hold of my dagger.

    With a quick strike, he cut open the large contusions with the blade, releasing the pressure that had been building up inside. Uncapping the tube he had been handed previously, he poured the grey paste into the opening of my wound. Squeezing the lips of the flesh closed, he pulled out some kind of rod that emitted heat, cauterizing the wound to seal shut.

“What exactly is that grey paste you put into me?” 

“Old world medicine, it should help with the pain. Give it some time and it should repair most of the damage done to your cells.” He explained. Despite how barbaric he appeared, he seemed to be quite knowledgeable about these topics.

“Is it really alright for you to give me something so valuable?”

“Hah, it’s fine. Sure, it’s a little hard to come by, but it was worth the price of witnessing the power of someone with your potential.”

“Yeah, right. What I did was nothing special.”

“Is this another one of your attempts at humour? If not, you should know that your use of body enhancement has certainly exceeded my expectations, it surpasses the level of skill many in chassis corp do not possess. It’s got me so damn curious, where exactly did you learn how to hone those skills?”

“Heh, I don't know what to tell you. I was just born with it.”

“Hah, keeping it a secret, eh? That’s fine, it was still an impressive display of power.”

“Thanks…” I wearily said. I could feel the medicine working, but the bruising and restructuring of my bone had left me feeling nauseous and tired.

“Say, how would you feel about joining me as a member of the chassis. I think you would make a fine soldier.”

“Nah, I’m good.”

“Hah! So quick to dismiss the notion. A shame, we could use more people with your talent. “Well if you decide to change your mind, seek out Marcus Alaric Scaeva.”

“Who…?”

“Hah, it matters not, you’ll know soon enough.” 

Edith who had been watching from the rooftops descended, perching herself upon my shoulder, she screeched at the old man. Unfolding her wings, she attempted to intimidate him despite facing off against such a mighty warrior.

“So now you come down, huh. Don’t worry, I’ll be alright.” I consoled, hoping to calm her down.

“Oh? Is this your hawk?”

“Her name’s Edith, she’s my friend.“

“Friend? Hah, you certainly are a strange fellow.” He exclaimed.

“Captain, pardon my interruption. I have news to relay.” A soldier chimed in.

“At ease. What the hell could be so important?”

“Sir, the Camp Prefect wishes to speak to you, it’s in regards to his son.” 

“Ah, I see.” He sighed, visibly irritated he scratched his head. “I’m afraid my time here is up, I certainly enjoyed our little scuffle. But before I take my leave, what did you say your name was?”

“Grit... it’s Grit.”

“Hah! How fitting, truly a strange fellow. Well then, this is where we part ways, perhaps we’ll meet again.” He grinned before turning his back, stomping toward his next destination. 

“I doubt that.” I replied. I could hear him laughing in the distance.

Little did I know at that time, I had stood up against the soldier appointed to the position of Primus Pilus, the senior-most Centurion of a legion. The guards had given me a great deal of respect having survived a hit from the legendary soldier revered as the ‘Master of Soldiers’. Having overcome the distractions and obstacles that had stalled my journey to seek out the old blood, it would seem I would at last find respite. And just as swift as the battle had concluded so too was I quickly escorted into the journeyman’s guild.

0