Sequence 8: Disappointment
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I just don’t understand… an individual with skills of your caliber sacrificing yourself in the forward advance, seems like a waste of potential.” He stated.

“Well, it wouldn’t have mattered much. Having only one blessing, I’m no different than any of the other Lowkin.” 

“I suppose, but it has only proved to show you’re much more of a fool than I had initially thought. Just know this, since you’ve been reassigned you won’t be able to receive the benefits of those in the standardized groups. Corpsemen will not risk themselves to heal the fodder.”

It’s something I expected, any Corpseman willing to trade their health for a low ranking sorcerer would find their efforts wasted. They would be better off reserving their live force for those who are more capable in battle such as those who possess more than two songs gleaned from the realms beyond our own. Lowkin who possess only one song or any invalid who lack a Galdr are placed in the forward advance to serve as fodder to stall any enemies that we may encounter. But this suits me perfectly, it’s best to assume the role of an inadequate mercenary with little reputation than it is to be a well-known individual. Besides, being at the forefront of the action would only benefit me in being among the first to get in contact with the ruins in hopes of learning something of the blood worship or at the very least salvage any artifacts I may come across. 

“I’m more than capable of holding my own.”

“That’s exactly the kind of attitude and response I’d expect of a fool as well. Did you not listen to anything I said?”

“I heard you, I know full well the risk I’m putting myself into, and I’m more than willing to put my life on the line.”

“Do you now… fine. So be it, I’ve no time to waste talking to someone who’ll likely die very soon due to his arrogance. You clearly know what’s good for you.” He remarked. 

“I’m glad you’ve begun to see things my way.”

“Hah, not quite. I’ve not gone blind yet.” He scoffed. 

It was at that moment a static noise could be heard nearby. “Hail, Officer Gunnar, please respond.”

Gunnar stopped to grab hold of some device strapped to his belt and brought it to his ear. “Hail, this is Officer Gunnar. Hm? Ah yes, I see. Yes, of course. Alright, I’m almost finished here, do not let him wait up for me. Okay, I’ll see to it. Indeed. Hail, praise the fardaughter.” He holstered the device.

“Everything alright?”

 “Yes, it seems they’ve rounded up most of the applicants and have finished the preparations for the mission. As such, it’s best we head on over to the departure zone, I’ve been notified that they’ve prepped the machine for transport.”

“That right? No time to waste then.”

“Indeed. We best be on our way.”

=====================================================================

    Arriving at the departure zone, we were welcomed to quite the viewing as the participants gathered around a large machine that I had spotted earlier from the outskirts, but having now gotten this close, the size of the machine was truly unreal. It must have been at least 30 meters high and it’s length was likely 3 or 4 times that, give or take. It appeared to be some old world vehicle, its method of movement seemingly relying on its large circular wheels wrapped in some continuous band of flexible metal. The top of the vehicle was surprisingly simple, as it was a rather flat surface with what looked like large handles and grooves bolted onto the framework. It also appeared to have large hook-like arms that extended outward near its rear. Seemingly modified, it seems to have been rigged with multiple makeshift external generators which were giving off a great deal of smoke. The cargo strapped to its rear seemed to be filled with numerous barrels likely filled with spare fuel.

“What a mess, seems they were in a rush to get this shipped out to Rinsaad. Had the engineers had more time to work on it, they might have been able to install a proper engine powered by the gaze of Sol rather than use the blood of the land.”

“What is this thing?”

“Hm? Ah, it must come as a surprise to you, not many people have seen a machine of this size before. The patrician had brought this vehicle to aid the mission in both transporting the participants and hauling any supplies we may need while leaving enough room for any big ticket items that may be excavated from the site.”

“I see, so it isn’t a chariot.”

“Only the uneducated and uninformed would attest that this marvelous vehicle, so finely crafted by the Vykin, would be described as something as primitive as a chariot. It is an insult to the technological ingenuity of the Vykin themselves. But yes… I suppose in your eyes it would appear to be a chariot… I digress, our republic could only hope to reach the level of technological development that the Vykin once achieved.”

“Seeing as the engineers have got this thing up and running, I would say you guys are already half-way there.”

“I suppose, though there are countless things we do not yet know. Just why is it that such a grand empire fell… what could have possibly led to their downfall?”

“A question you’d have to ask them yourself.”

“Yes, if only.”

“Sorry if this comes off as rude, but, where exactly are we supposed to meet up with our groups?”

“It’s fine, we’ve wasted enough time as it is, the groups are all assigned to different tents near the resting area. I’ll guide you there.”

    The resting area was closeby, situated near the base of the large machine. I can’t imagine the time and labour it took to transport this thing from where it was excavated to the outskirts of Rinsaad. It’s size was certainly nothing to scoff at, with this the kindorians will certainly have an advantage when it comes to monopolizing excavation sites. I wonder what other ancient machines they have restored, if any… 

“It might be a little too late to say this… however, I would have liked to see your skills in action, have you ever thought about joining the kindorian guard? I could see about finding you a position within our legion.”

“Ah, I believe your commander brought up the same subject when I had a talk with him, I’m a little hesitant, it’s something I still have to think about.”

“What’s there to hesitate on? The benefits you’ll be provided will be great, you’d have a decent wage and proper housing with the other soldiers as well as proper training that will help improve your skill in attuning with Ljóss.”

“Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good deal, it’s just the situation I’m in at the moment involves some problems I need to take care of back home. Besides, I have some waiting for me when I get back.”

“Ah, I understand. Well I hope you come to the right decision, it would certainly be a sight to have you fight by our side.”

“Likewise, being brothers at arms, fighting for the honor of the far daughter... it's certainly admirable.”

“Indeed. I do hope you come to a decision by time you return from the mission. Now then, it would seem that the favor has been fulfilled. I must be going now.”

“I guess you’re headed to your assigned group as well huh, I expect we’ll see each other later on then.”

“No, I don’t think we will. Our legion is only here temporarily to ensure and oversee everything goes well, there are other sites to attend to in which our commander was assigned to manage. This will likely be the last time we’ll be seeing each other. It’s certainly been… interesting to say the least having made your acquaintance.”

“I’ll be seeing you, Grit. Good luck out there.” He waved and departed.

“Yeah, you too…”

    I couldn’t help but think the same thing, I found Gunnar to be somewhat respectable and just as interesting. Just inside this tent, I imagine I’ll also be introduced to just as many interesting individuals. Pulling aside the flaps, I entered the tent. I was welcomed to a group of men all idling about. Some seemingly playing a game of cards, another polishing his weapon of choice, one was huddled in the back clutching some sort of pendant and another sat straight ahead of me giving me a cold stare.

“And just who the fuck are you?”

0