Sequence 8.5: Jarred Greetings
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey, no need to get all riled up, Jaro. He’s probably here for the same reason as any of us, I’m guessing you’ve been assigned to Group 39 as well, we’re glad to have you.” One of the two men playing cards called out.

“Fuck that, You know what this means, yeah? More people means more of the money split between us. Those fuckers in charge don’t wanna pay us individually like they will for those in the standardized groups.”

The man glared at Jaro. “Still, here in this tent we’re no different from each other. We will need to rely on one another if we need to survive. So any more complaining from you won’t help us get anywhere, understand?” 

“Tch, whatever man… this is fucking bullshit.” He quieted down.

“I apologize on behalf of my associate, he’s usually quite compliant when hanging around others, though as you can see this mission has certainly left a sour taste amongst the group.”

“It’s fine, no feelings hurt. Besides, I can see where he’s coming from, having been born a Lowkin myself, it’s not unusual to get treated poorly by those born with greater power.”

“Hah, though that may be true, to be born weak does not excuse one for being foolish nor complacent. Without our powers, we must take care to use our wits if we seek to survive in this world.”

“You’ve got a point, it’s always a good idea to keep yourself calm and collected in times of duress, something I’m sure Jaro understands quite well.”

“What’d you just say?” Jaro got up from his seat.

“I meant nothing by what I said, only that I agreed with what your friend here had to say.”

“Hah, he jests Jaro. Be at ease, we’re all associates here, not enemies. Take a seat, relax.”

“Hmph, I don’t like this guy one bit. I want you to know that.” He confronted me, face to face.

“I’m glad to see you’re a man of honest feelings. Though If I’ve hurt your feelings, I don’t mind if you wish to settle this outside.” I decided to match his aggression.

“You smug sonuvabitch, you trying to get on my bad side, it’s a quick way to get yourself killed before we set off.” He threatened. His eyes looking toward my shoulder. “What’s this… you’ve even got yourself a little friend. Seems you’re all set to fight if you got yourself a little pick me up.”

“Edith is not here for the purpose of battle, she’s here as my companion.”

“I’ll be damned… not only did you bring a disposable here, but you’ve given it a name and you’re keeping it as a pet? Hah! To think we had an idiot among us.”

“She’s not a pet, she’s my fylgja.”

“What’s that, she’s bound to you? Holy shit, now that my friend was a mistake, you’d be better off using it to keep yourself topped off and then discarding it. All that bird is right now is just dead weight, or at least it will be.” He attempted to reach for Edith, in response she screeched and attempted to clip his hand with her beak.

Jaro withdrew his hand. “Woah, this thing is dangerous. That’s why you gotta keep these disposable vermin on a leash. But hey, all I’m saying is if you ain’t gonna use her… well let’s just say when opportunity strikes you never know what might happen.” 

“You better keep your hands to yourself if you know what's good for you, Jaro.” I clenched my fists.

“Oh? Seems like the wolf has come out of the sheep's clothing! Come on, let’s do this, let’s head outside and settle this, yeah?”

“Hey! Knock it off you two, Jaro, back off the newbie.” The man yelled.

“Oh come on, we were just having a little fun, ain’t that right?” 

“I said, back off.” 

“Seriously? Tch, way to kill the mood. But fuck it, fine, I’ll ease off. There’s only one thing I’m here for, and that’s money. I could care less about the bird or all this talk of cooperation, you guys can pick up your own slack.”

“Oh? Should I interpret that as a violation of our partnership, Jaro? I thought we were friends.”

“Tch, you know what I mean. Apart from us, it’s every man for himself out there.”

“Seems you two get along just fine.” I chimed in.

“Hah, I suppose you could say that. We’ve been in a partnership for some time now, isn’t that right?”

“Yeah, but that’s none of his business, if you wanna talk, keep it between yourselves. I could care less about all you or your problems, so keep me out of it.”

“Yes, we heard you the first time Jaro. Sit back down, will you?” The other man sitting at the table exclaimed. “Hey, Inca. Mind if we get back to the game?”

“Ah, my apologies, I was lost in conversation with our new friend.”

“Yeah, I know, I’ve been sitting here the whole time hearing you guys argue. But yeah, nice to meet you friend, the name’s Pietro but everybody calls me Pyro.”

“Oh, finally a friendly face. Likewise, the name’s Grit.”

“If you think my face full of scars looks friendly, you might want to get yourself a new pair of eyes, friend.”

“You might be right, I must not be seeing right. To think there was someone here who had a sense of humour.” I smiled.

“Hah, I like this guy! Glad to have you, friend.” He laughed.

“Nice to see you two are off to a good start, but to think we’ve completely forgotten introductions.” Inca explained. “I suppose you already know my name, all that’s left are the others. Would you two like to introduce yourselves to our new friend here?” He called out to the other two men, eyeing the man in the corner first.

The man in the corner holding the pendant lowered his hands and looked up. “Ah, hello friend, the name is Barnabus, may the light shine upon you. I do apologize, but I must return to my prayers. I am issuing a prayer for us, seeing as no one else here will, lest we suffer a fate not intended for us as ordained by the Oracle. But it is nice to meet you.” He quietly returned to his prayers.

“He’s a good man.” Inca smiled. “Now then all that’s left is…” Inca looked over to the man polishing his weapon.

“It’s Nicolas.”

“As you can see, he's not much one for talking, I’m afraid. But don’t mind him, he’s a reliable fellow, I assure you. Now then, I suppose that wraps up introductions.”

“Great, now let’s get back to the game.” Pyro cried out.

“Ah, of course. I shouldn’t keep the man waiting, why don’t you take a seat as well, it’ll be a few hours until departure. Best to get your rest now, there won’t be any breaks once we’re out there.”

“Ah, sure. I appreciate the advice.”

“Of course. Oh, and between you and me, that’s a wonderful bird you have there, be sure to take care of it.” He smiled, returning to take his seat across from Pyro. “Now then, where were we…”

“You were about to forfeit and hand me over my winnings.”

“Haha, not while I still have the chance to improve my odds.”

    Seems everyone in this tent has already been well acquainted except for me. I suppose that’s a result of me showing up late, nothing I can do about it now. Though I imagine we’ll have plenty of time to get to know each other over the course of the mission, after all we’ll be together for a few days, or possibly even a few weeks depending on what we find out there. Not wishing to take a seat next to Jaro who seemed to be giving me quite the mean look, Nicolas wasn’t an option either as he seemed to want to be left alone, perhaps the zealot might make for good company.

0