Sequence 9: Blind Faith
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hope you don’t mind if I sit next to you.”

“Hm? I do not mind at all, but if you wish to talk, please give me one moment, friend.” He smiled. 

“Ah, of course. I apologize, please, continue.”

He maintained his smile and nodded his head, still clutching his pendant. “Come to us, oh beloved maiden, three-faced Urth; kindly hear our sacred plea; Day’s Ornament, young, bringing light to kin. With Verthandi, who with the Triple Forms of the Triple Graces dance in revel with the stars. You are Skuld and the Fate’s threads: The Fardaughter. Thy Lady is with us always, may she continue to watch over us in the eternal dream, guiding us along the proper path, never to stray from the fate ordained for us. We give so that you may give…”

“Praise unto the Fardaughter.” I added.

“Oh? You know the concluding utterance, I take it you are also a devotee of the Kinsworn?”

“Ah, not quite. Though I have heard their greetings in passing. I don’t know too much about Kindorian faith.”

“Then this would be a good opportunity for you to learn, I sense you would find comfort in it, would you allow me to enlighten you?”

“Ah sure, we’ve got plenty of time after all… but maybe you could just tell me the basics or just the important bits, might be easier for me to understand.” I reconsidered, I might just fall asleep if I were to listen to a sermon the whole time.

“Very well then, it might be best for you to first understand the institution known as the ‘Kin Collegium’, a religious society ordained by the Pontifex Maximus, our Chief High Priest, wherein we as the devotees pledge our faith to the one true Oracle, the Fardaughter. As such, the society is mainly composed of two great households which keep the balance of order, alongside various minor groups. On one side of the scale, you have the more well-known prestigious House of the Kinsworn, whose members are the highest ranking priests in the republic. Led by the Rex Sacrorum, The King of the Sacred, followed by the adolescent pontiffs, do they seek to fulfill their responsibilities to the state as they convene for prayer and carry out the sacrifices for the day, whilst also preparing the feasts for the festivals in the name of the Fardaughter. On the other side of the scale, you have the sacred House of the Ora, whose members are the freeborn, noblewomen of the republic known as the Ora Virgins, who are sworn to celibacy in service to The Fardaughter. Complementing the Rex of the Kinsworn, the Ora are guided by the Regina Sacrorum, The Queen of the Sacred Rites, a High Priestess betrothed to the former in a holy union between the two houses. She is considered to be a mother-like figure to the Ora Virgins, who together are akin to a sisterhood. The duties of the Ora Virgins are shared, they perform what is considered to be the most sacred of rites in the republic, maintaining and tending to the Sacred Light of The Fardaughter. The Sacred Light is very important to our faith, for should it ever fade it would spell doom for the entirety of the republic…”

“Fascinating, seems there’s a lot that goes on in the republic when it comes to the people and their faith.”

“Indeed, would you like me to continue? Perhaps now would be a good time for me to teach you our prayer?”

    “You’ve already got me invested, so I don’t see why not.”

    “Splendid, now then…”

    The next hour was quite informative despite my growing boredom as Barnabus helped me recite prayers, eager to interpret the meaning of what each line represented in relation to their faith to the Fardaughter to better help me understand their faith. There were times I felt a little frustrated as Barnabus would constantly stop me mid-prayer to correct me on the proper recitation, and have me repeat it back to him several times till I got it right. He would also point out my posture, showing me how to properly show your faith by demonstrating it himself. In the end, I found myself messing up the prayers more than I had previously as Barnabus began to go on a tangent about the many other intricacies involved when it comes to the lifestyle of the priests and priestesses.

    “I give up. I don’t think I’m cut out for this.” 

“It’s quite alright, you did well for someone still new to the faith. Perhaps we should take a break here, we can continue later during our departure if you’d like.”

    “Ah, I think I’m good. But, uh… we’ll see.”

“I understand. Oh, but I’d like to teach you one last thing.”

“Hm? If it’s more prayer… I think it can wait.” I sighed.

“Ahaha, do not fret, it is an entirely different matter which concerns the little argument you had with Jaro. For I see you carry a hawk as your companion, you must be aware that it will surely help you ward off bad omens.”

“Edith? Well I won’t deny she’s helped me in quite a few troubling situations but to say she helps in warding off omens…”

“Bad omens, mind you.” He corrected me, again.

“Alright… well what makes you think that.”

“Hm, have you ever heard of Augury?”

“No, I’m not familiar with it, is it related to the teachings of the Kinsworn?”

“Yes, though it is a ritualistic practice held among the Augurs, a small subgroup of priests belonging to the House of the Kinsworn, which interpret the will of the Fardaughter in absence of her incarnation. Through this practice do they interpret omens from observing the behavior and flight of birds kept in The Radiant Aviary. Depending on the mood of the birds, they may be able to determine whether coming events will turn out favorable or otherwise.”

“Interesting, so basically you’re saying that just by observing Edith I may be able to predict coming events?”  

“Not quite, you would surely need an Auger to interpret her behavior and understand the meaning, a blessing given unto the priests by the will of the Fardaughter. Despite that, so long as you keep her by your side she should still shield you from the most minor of bad omens.”

“Alright, well that’s certainly good to know. No doubt she’ll let us know if we encounter any trouble, ain’t that right.” I smiled, feeding Edith a locust. “I’m sure our mission investigating these ruins and delving into The Network will go over smoothly.”

“Nonetheless, we must remain vigilant. May our lady shield us from the evils that lurk beneath us. May her blessings ward off any malicious spirits of the land, be it the golems or trolls, as we tread into the depths of The Network, so that we may reclaim the land of our forefathers from the clutches of evil.”

“Golems and trolls? I don’t recall hearing anything about creatures living within The Network, are you talking about the machines that wander down there?”

“They’re not commonly seen but they do exist. Living far below us, deep in The Network, residing in a forbidden layer that no man should wander into lest they find themselves in a den of evil. Thankfully praise be unto the Fardaughter, for she keeps them at bay with her radiance which surrounds us at all times. They fear her light for it is their only weakness having been born a denizen of the underworld. As such, there is nothing for us to worry about.” He smiled.

    “Is that right…” 

0