Sequence 9.5: Narrow Interpretations
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“There he goes again talking about those made up monsters, don’t listen to anything that faker has to say. He was raised here in Rinsaad, he ain’t no preacher, just another idiot. Born without an education, the damn fools call any moving machine as mountain spirits, golems and trolls, but I know better, they are nothing but mindless machines.“ Jaro yelled out.

“Well then, just how can you tell he’s lying when I can’t be sure you’re telling the truth.” I retorted.

“It’s true, because I never lie. You would have to be a fool like Barnabus to think otherwise. If you believe anything he says, then you’re an even bigger idiot than I already thought you were.”

“Hey, let’s try to respect his religious beliefs. There is real danger when it comes to Network expeditions, seeing as we’re all risking our lives for the payoff, it isn’t odd for us to find a way to cope.” Inca called out. 

“If there’s anything you should be afraid of, it’s encountering the Jötnar.” Pyro chimed in. “They’re skin is said to be impenetrable and they’re hunger for destruction knows no limit. Not even a hundred lowkin would stand a chance.”

“The Jotnar… you mean the giants which helped the ancient Vykin?” I questioned.

“Impressive, I’m surprised you know of that old fable, not many Kindorian’s know that story.” Inca smiled.

“Well, it’s something I would often hear growing up. But I’m afraid you’ve got me all wrong, I wasn’t born in Kindoria.” I explained.

“Is that so? I apologize, I shouldn’t have judged where you come from, I only assumed based on your complexion. May I ask where you were born, are you perhaps from Idavoll?”

“Yeah, you could say that… somewhere around there.”

“Ah, that would explain it then.”

“Idavoll? You mean that backwater town where all those dirty natives live?” Jaro called out.

“Ah yes, Idavoll… if I recall that is the land filled with those heretics and faithless primates. Those who refuse to see the Fardaughter as our one true Goddess... though that isn’t to say that their land isn’t a valuable province, as its people are in service to the Republic.” Barnabus spouted, I was a little taken aback by his sudden change in tone.

“Well now, it seems like we agree on something, faker.” Jaro smirked.

“You two aren’t wrong, however, that has not always been the case. It is home to a clan of people known as the Idavollans, though they don’t have a glorified religion akin to the College of the Kinsworn, they have passed down stories through oral tradition involving the Oracle and the Jotnar, which I’m sure you’re all familiar with. I would recite it for you all, however I have only ever heard bits and pieces from it. As such the story would not be complete.”

“Were the Jotnar just as powerful in the story as people make them out to be?” I asked.

“Oh yes, very much so. But that’s not to say that they can’t be beat, there have been cases of taming the great giants after great battles were waged by the ruling nations.”

“The ruling nations, is that to say that the Republic of Kindoria and the Empire of Goltib have fought against them and won?”

“That’s right, and not only did they win, they’ve tamed them. The Jotnar are an invaluable asset to any nation’s military, after all a single Jotunn could devastate an entire nation's legion, they’re power is nothing to scoff at.”

“Well in that case, we shouldn’t have anything to worry about. We have a lot of individuals who have signed on for this mission, there shouldn’t be any problem, right?”

“That may be, but taking into account the many midkin journeymen this mission has at its disposal, I still don’t believe we have enough manpower to take on a Jotunn. We can only hope we don’t encounter one, for we would likely face defeat.”

“This is true, I don’t blame our holy friend for praying, I’m looking to come out of this mission alive, not to be forgotten in the darkness.” Pyro stated.

“Exactly, perhaps we should all-” It was at that moment a large blaring siren was heard from outside our tent. “It seems it's already that time. It’s best we head out then, everyone pack your things, seems they’re ready for departure.”

“Fucking finally, tired of sitting on my ass all day.” Jaro cried out.

“You say that, but now you’ll be on your feet all day, you’re bound to get tired either way!” Pyro chuckled.

    Still sat on my seat, I watched as the group began to quickly pack away their things, leaving behind any spent rations and discarded supplies that had already been used up. Carrying their bags, they opened the tent flaps and headed out as the light came shining through as they exited one by one.

“It appears our departure is at hand. Come friend, let us catch up with the others.” Barnabus stated, standing up from his seat.

“Yeah, best we get a move on.”

    I followed closely behind Barnabus, before stopping at the flaps and turning around. I had almost forgotten about our other colleague. He appeared to be taking his time packing his things, seemingly looking through each and every one of his bags twice over before securely fastening them. 

“Do you need any help with that?” I asked, Nicolas remained quiet. “Alright, well we’ll be going on ahead. Take too long and you might just get left behind.” I emphasized, before turning back around to head out.

“Hold on a moment.”

“Hm?”

Nicolas adorned his bags, and began to approach me. “You’ve been a little too easygoing, so a word of warning. Make sure you look after that bird of yours, you never know what goes through somebody's mind when they run into trouble.” He stated, giving me a hard look.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Hmph.” He glared his eyes on me, before passing me by and heading out the tent.

    I was left a little confused, just what did he mean by what he said. Thinking about it, it didn’t seem to be just something you would say to an acquaintance in passing, it seemed a little more personal than that. Have I met him before… no, not possible. I know that for a fact, but what he said was definitely directed at me, seems there’s more to this guy than I thought. He might be right, I might have been a little too easy going recently, being too careless with how I carry myself out in the public. In that case, I better watch my surroundings more carefully as well as who I talk to. As such, it seems Inca was right about keeping my wits about me, but it would be best not to stoke the flames of conflict within our group, I wouldn’t want to make an enemy out of those I’m bound to cooperate with. Best I leave it be, after all it would go against what I was taught by those of my upbringing… 

0