Prologue : “I just saw a zombie!”
61 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A youth sat on the roof, looking at the pristine blue skies with not a cloud in sight.

'I'm already late to English class, might as well skip it. My grades are alright even if I miss a test or two.'

The youth's face was average, and his body was rather pudgy, making him seem like the average kid in a class.

'I wonder if Damien and Alex will fight. Maybe they'd both just do a 'battle' and get the beauty after all.'

Damien and Alex, two young scions chasing after the campus beauty in their class, Liu Mengmeng.

Ari, the youth lazing on the roof admitted that Liu Mengmeng was very beautiful, however he knew he had no chance with her as she was a proud peacock.

Though she didn't outright mock or disdain him, one could still tell that she still didn't hold him in high esteem.

Ari sighed and took out his phone and went to a website and started to read the latest releases of his favorite book.

As he was engrossed in his phone, he didn't notice the blue skies turning darker. When a cool breeze blew on his cheek along with the small drops of water, he looked up.

Astonished, he heard a clap of thunder boom, and for a minute, it felt as if the world had been shaken!

'There wasn't even a news flash about the weather... Damn, if I go in now, a hall monitor would easily catch me.'

Unwilling to go back down, he hid beneath the walkway and waited for the clouds to fade, however before long, he realized the sky had turned inky black.

As dark as night! With no stars or moon. Just vast darkness! He started to shake as he saw the ominous clouds start to dissipate.

'That's it? All of that build up for nothing? What the heck god? Sigh, forget it. I'll just be glad it didn't wet my spot too bad.

When he made his way to his small area he liked to lay in, he heard a jarring scream and looked down at he parking lot with confusion.

A girl was running, her face twisted in fear as if the devil were on her tail! Ari was certain she had the ability to join the track club.

He didn't hear anything else, but a figure wearing a white and red shirt staggered into the parking lot.

'Is he drunk? Why would a drunk man come over here? I better head down for my next class.'

Ari was under no delusion that he was a genius, however skipping a few classes wouldn't hurt him much.

As he walked away, he heard a shout and turned back. A man in a security uniform walked over to the drunken man and held his shoulder while explaining something, however the man simply brought his face to the man's neck.

As if something had excited the man, his body moved and pushed the security guard to the ground and started to madly bite the man.

After getting bitten a few times, the man grabbed his baton and smacked the man away, however as if the blow didn't phase him, the drunken man rushed over again!

After a few smacks, the security guard felt that something was wrong. He looked down and saw that the bite marks and scratches on his arm were turning darker, and the blood flowing from the wound was black!

His vision turned hazy, and before he could raise his baton, it fell from his stiff fingers and his body collapsed.

The man's final thought as his eyes gradually turned murky was what the hell was happening!?

However his consciousness faded, his body started to twitch rapidly. Ari, who watched the spectacle from the roof watched in horror as the security guard started to unnaturally rise from the ground.

The security man's body started to take steps, following the path of the previous drunken man... towards the college building Ari was on the roof of.

Ari felt his heart start to pound as he grabbed his bag and ran to the door and pushed it open.

Nearly tumbling down the stairs, he got up and hurried to his class. When he pushed open the door, his face was haggard and he gasped for air. 

"I just saw a zombie. We need to leave quickly!" Ari said in a breathless tone, while several students who were paying attention looked at him angrily.

They were trying to learn! And this fatty came here to tell them some nonsense? Even the lecturer, a woman in her early twenties frowned.

"I turned a blind eye when you skipped my class, however now that you feel you can just barge into my room in the midst of a class, I'll give you extra work." The lecturer was a beauty with her hair tied up, and wearing a casual skirt and a shirt.

"Ms. Rachel, I'm not joking! I really saw a zombie! It's outside, or at least it was." The class looked at him like he was a retard and he too wished he was joking!

However reality proved him wrong as the class started to curse him for lying. Hearing his fellow students cursing him, he nodded and closed the door, leaving a dumbstruck crowd in the room.

After he left the students behind, he checked the history classroom and saw a blade hanging from the wall.

Wrapping his hands around the short sword, he looked his finger with the tip, and hissed as he saw a drop of blood roll down his finger.

He shoved the blade into his bag and ran towards the first floor. He naturally wasn't seeking death, because if he managed to kill the zombie, he'd stop a lot of people from becoming infected!

However when he reached the first floor hallway gasping for air, his heart went cold. On the floor were several bodies, blood beneath them as they lay silently without any sign of life.

Seeing them, he restrained his breathing, however one of the bodies twitched, and as if waking the rest, soon four people were upright, staggering towards him.

Ari looked around and failed to find either the security guard or the original man who spread the virus to the guard.

He didn't know how similar they were to zombies, hence he decided to retreat was he didn't know if the infection was also airborne.

He ran back up the stairs and nearly bumped into a student going down the stairs. He immediately stopped and looked at the young man with a serious look.

"I wouldn't go down there if I were you. It's best to stay in your classrooms and lock the doors."

Hearing Ari, the youth rolled his eyes and flipped him off as he walked around him and headed downstairs.

Ari looked at his back and sighed. 'Since he didn't believe me, that's his fault.' Despite knowing the youth would probably die, he was perfectly aware that it wasn't his problem.

Hence when the screams started, he just rushed upstairs faster! This time he made a beeline for the classroom with sweat streaming down his brow.

'This is the most exercise I've gotten in a while, they better thank me.' He pushed open the door and stood in the doorway.

The class who had just gotten over his earlier disruption now burst into curses! How could he just appear again, and from his face, they knew it wasn't an apology!

"So, I'm telling you all clearly, there are zombies on the first floor. Either find something to fight with or ju-" Damien, a young scion got up and walked towards Ash with big strides.

"I'll get you expelled if you keep spouting nonsense! Leave now while my mood is good." Seeing his face, Ari took one last look at the students within and then smiled faintly and left.

A few girls scoffed as they called him a coward! A few even looked at Damien in admiration! He had finally gotten the idiot to stop barging in.

...

Ari went to the small store in the building and started to stuff food into his bags while placing the water in as well.

'Well, I did try to help them, but if they won't listen, then that's that. I need another weapon, I don't want to risk getting that close.' 

After stuffing his bags, he left the store and headed to the roof and set his bag down as he looked down at the parking lot.

As he feared, there were more figures staggering around the parking lot, and judging from all the red on their shirts, they were already dead.

"Shit. This is the worst! If everyone dies, who's going to finish my novels?!" Realizing a major crisis was happening, yet not being able to change it left him seething.

...

Damien smiled lightly, a provoking face to Jason who was also a young scion. Both of their families had conflicts, and their rivalries extended to the younger generation as well.

Jason huffed and turned to look out the window, while Damien focused on the teacher, however his mind couldn't concentrate.

'Zombies? Oh please, I bet if I look outside right now, there won't be anybody down below.' The windows for the classroom were directly opposite of the parking lot.

He got up and silently walked to the window and looked down. On the grassy opening below, he saw two men walking aimlessly and snorted.

'Whoever is trying to prank us along with Ari are just fools. I bet som-' His face turned ugly as one of the men turned around and he got a glimpse at the man's face! 

Those dead murky eyes and the blood soaking their mouths! 'Why are they trying to scare us? Is this some kind of prank?'

He then received a text and his face turned shocked! The text had been sent from his father, a respected general in the army!

[Damien, do not allow those things to touch you. Even the slightest scratch can infect you, find weapons and supplies until I can send a team to rescue you.]

The text showed that signal had failed. Several students who were also online realized that the internet disconnected, much to their discontent.

'Oh god! Ari said they were zombies! So are those things below re-' His eyes fell on a new fight that had arrived, however the arm was missing!

The other students looked around as soon a shrill scream echoed down the halls! Damien froze, and then rushed to the door and looked out.

Outside were students fleeing upstairs en masse, some pushing their fellow students out the way as if the devil were on their trails!

He no longer doubted Ari. Instead, he rushed to the spot he sat in and pulled out a small blade that glinted with a sharp light.

"Hey Dam- Ah! Why do you have a knife out? Are you going to hurt someone?" Hearing the girl's timid words, some people looked back, but Damien didn't care about them as he rushed out the door.

When the door opened and they saw countless students running with fear on their faces, they soon heard a word that turned their blood cold.

"Oh god! Zombies! It ate Maya! I couldn't save her!" Hearing his words, the class no longer sat down and instead flocked to the door.

Majority of the students left the building via other exits, and soon the congested hallways cleared and the students within the class looked down the hall.

On the floor were several bodies, their fate unknown as they had been trampled beneath countless people!

"Um, what exactly is happening? I can't even reach the principal at all, do any one you have service?" Ms. Rachel asked, however people shook their heads.

Just as she made it past her students and into the hallway, she saw a bloodied figure slowly climb the stairs and rushed at the bodies on the floor with more agility despite their unnatural walking postures.

The figure dropped near a body and started to tear into the victim's back with gusto. Seeing such a bloody scene nor even twenty feet away made several students like, and Rachel recalled Ari's words!

"Z-zombies? But that's impossible, right?" Hearing Rachel's voice, obviously trembling, the students rushed out the class and started to run when they saw more bloody figures climb the stairway and walk into the hall way.

When Rachel fled as she saw several zombies rush in their direction. Amidst the jostling of the students, and the fear on their faces, several even pushed and pulled at others, trying to put bodies between them and the zombies. 

However, those that were caught by zombies screeched and howled as they were bitten and scratched!

 

3