Oneshot
227 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The power to see the future- if you had such a thing, what would you do? 

Unlimited wealth through gambling or lottery? Becoming a hero by predicting future disasters? The possibilities are truly many. 

 As for me—

 "But I can really see the future, you know?" 

 "Win the lottery then, idiot."

—protecting this girl and making her happy is more than enough.

 To provide a bit of background, we were walking together to a supermarket when I decided to reveal my special ability to her. 

 "As I was saying, I really can see the future you know?"

 "Says the guy who's still working part-time to pay back his student debts." 

"Ultimately, wealth is just freedom, and freedom is comfort, not happiness." 

"Ah, so you're saying that leaving your girlfriend alone and lonely for hours upon hours, rotting away behind a counter for some measly pay can bring you true happiness? Ara. Should I buy a BDSM kit for your sake?"

 "I'm not a masochist! And the thing is, for a man of my calibre, almost everything can be learnt easily so I didn't have to work at all in school. But diligence doesn't come with the high IQ package, you know?" 

 "Wouldn't it be fine anyway if you have that much self-awareness? Also, you say 'practising diligence' I hear 'telling people the ice-cream machine is broken'." 

 "So you figured it out..." 

 "You little shit..." she glared at me jokingly. 

 "Says the shorter one."

 "Tough talk for the one who lost in arm wrestling." 

 Ah... I should have known that an all brains and no brawns university student would surely lose against a highschool girl who tries her best to stay in shape. But what's done is done, I muster up my best retort—

"How barbaric."

 "If being stronger than you qualifies for being a barbarian, the average toddler is a demonic overlord."

 "They are, though?"

 In fact, toddlers should be the closest thing to inhabitants of the demon realm. It's an unarguable argument. 

"Touché."

As expected of my girlfriend, she caught on quick. But we're sidetracking 

 "Alright so how can I prove it to you?" 

 "Prove what?" 

 "That I can really see the future." 

 "We're still doing this? Alright, fine. Predict something, right now."

 I knew it would come to this

 "That bird is going to take a shit in three minutes." I pointed at a bird on the power lines while maintaining eye contact.

She took a glance at the direction I had pointed at and proceeded to look at me straight in the eyes

 "Are we going to stand here and wait three whole minutes to see a bird poop?"

 Ah, she does have a point.

 "Then what do you suggest?"

 "Win the lottery."

 "Is money all that you care about, woman?!" I clench my fist in a dramatic fashion. 

 "You're a close second." 

 "God damn it why did that make me happy...?"

 "So I really should buy that BDSM kit after all..."

 "Though, are you really sure? If I had that much money, the hardworking me that you love so much is going to disappear you know?"

 "Things like hard work and diligence don't define you in your entirety. Moreover-"
She made a sudden stop and turned to look at me, then grabbed the collar of my shirt and pulled it closer, showing me the sweetest smile ever but also coupling it with a glare— "Telling such a thing to a girl this much in love will make her angry, you know?"

Her lips are smiling, but her eyes aren't.

What is this?! So cute! Yet so scary! 

 ...This sudden show of emotions made me go into a complete daze. So much so that even after she had pushed me away to continue walking, I still couldn't say anything for a while.

'Ah, it should be illegal to be as lucky as I am' I thought. 

 My grin at the time must have been the widest one in the world for quite a while. 

 Not being able to resist, I reached out for her hand, who was then walking in front of me. And when I caught up and got a better look at her face, she was beet red.

Ah.

So that's how it is.

You were walking ahead to hide your embarrassment.

What is this cute little thing?

 "Hmm what's this? Premarital hand-holding? You've got some nerves heathen."

 "Cranking out jokes to fight embarrassment is so typical of you." I gave her a smug look. 

 "Shut up." she smiled.

 On that evening where the sun set beautifully, the future that I could see for us surely had its share of challenges and difficulties- but the present that I saw... Was us... It was us laughing, it was us being in love, it was us being happy— and most importantly, it was enough.

Afterword: 

 Hello, Kamoto here, thank you for reading.

This afterword section is a bit long but well what can I do? 

 The idea for this flash fiction occurred pretty randomly to me but I felt like I had to write it down- so here it is, in all of its 800+ words glory. 

 Yah being in a relationship is nice isn't it. If I could get into one I wouldn't have to write this.

 In all honesty, I could write an entire series about this couple and would love to, but that would be too much investment considering how I myself don't even know how bad or good it really is- or more importantly how bad or good a writer I really am.

So... Yeah... If it gets enough positive reviews/criticisms, I'll serialise it. Probably.

 Praises would be lovely and constructive criticisms would be much appreciated.

Once again, thank you.  

Would you like to see this serialised?
  • 1. Yes Votes: 19 82.6%
  • 2. No Votes: 4 17.4%
Total voters: 23
11