Chapter 2- test of soul wolf branch
94 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Blade you know the rules"

"I know"

"you have to go through a test to have a membership card"

"I know"

"I will tell you again"

"no"

"I am obliged to"

“okay”

"To achieve a temporary membership card, you can do it in a group or solo. In Ring kingdom for temporary membership a candidate has to hunt five wild wolves. Single Hunting will have an extra credit up to 500; group hunting will have hundred or even less"

500 credit seems much, but it is considered the lowest level of exchange.

"do you have prior training”

"no"

"what do you know"

"I can hunt"

"I recommend you for group hunting"

Three men walked from the inside.

"They are Macro Brother’s, quite famous for newbies, they will be your hunting partners"

“is it because of the recommendation letter?”

“yes”

"is there no other members"

"like?"

"you know the girl band"

"They are in other mission"

"See you next time"

“yea”

I introduced myself to them, just to start a chatterbox. They are the macho men Mr. Earthling hates. Having a bulky body, with specialized hunting tools specially made for wolves made them stand them out of the crowd.

The big bald headed one in the middle is the most talkative, he is Macro, and the other two just kept silent and walked behind him. Macro went on to say his days on joining the mercenary and how he went on hunting and partying.

I raised my attention a bit when they introduced this history, since five years they only do wolf hunting. Seems a profitable trade for me, but they say they had to become slaves of this mercenary branch to take on this particular job. it is profitable, but they have to remain in the guild for the stipulated tenure. 

I removed the thought of being in their group as I don't think it is necessary to become a slave, when I have many opportunities. They all are past their 40’s so it is better they do this kind of job.

They get 400 credits and the rest goes to the members. My eardrums twitched as he went on chattering the same thing again and again, still, I insisted on listening as he gave me some general knowledge, even though I knew it, I registered it more carefully.

 He says “Our founding Father laid an entrapment formation on the black mountain range. it is said that there is a hideous wolf monster trapped there and these monsters are its offspring’s; on the regular basis clean-up is required though now it is used as a training ground"

Founding Father is the first king of our kingdom, I was slightly amazed that I could hear the deed of our Hero on my first day.

As he finished his speech, he raised the point

"you need to pay us for our expenses"

I knew it

" How much"

“450 credits”

"just make it less"

"brother, it is for our need"

Seeing him asking me humbly I agreed, I couldn't even argue because I needed them.

“welcome to the team Blade”

 While grumbling about the poor condition of the road I had to sit in a carriage for two days straight, his chatting stopped as we started travelling.

I looked around a bit whether this is the magnificent base mountain they are talking about. He described with such exaggeration that could make a pig fly, yet I see only rubble.

As I entered for the first time I have a hint of expectation to find the thrill in hunting.

" Brother, we are going to enter the grassland, be cautious”

" Use your Sword, when you are hunting the wolves, we have heavy crossbow with us"

After the preparation I followed Macro Brothers as they tracked for the wolf's lair.

I couldn't understand whether it is a wolf's lair or these Men's playground, they are tracking efficiently. I vision about encountering a pack of wolves in our way yet nothing happened.

Tracking for an hour we reached an upper hill; from above I could see an open cave with five wolves sleeping. They seem more of a pit than wolf.

These wolves could be said to be cannon fodder wolves, as they are bred specially for hunting, they would be no danger if the hunting is done cautiously.

" The hunting would be easy"

" Why?” 

" cause it is not a mating season"

" they are lazing around, it is the best time for the bait"

' Brother, you will be the bait"

"me?"

I am dumbfounded by their sudden suggestion.

" Yes, it is the part of the hunting program"

" I did not know that"

" It is written in the hunting manual'

" is it?"

They blocked me as I thought of turning back right now.

" yes, look brother you have to do it, it is the first step in being in our group"

they  acted as gangsters not bulging an inch even I pleaded with them.

" You can say it, it is our core test being selected in our guild"

without any choice I said-

"What's the plan"

“All you need is to go towards it and the rest will depend upon your wits"

 “That's it"

"Yes, that’s it"

"but"

"Yes, it is naturally part of the test, you need to trust your comrades, leaving your destiny behind us"

they put up a bad smile as they continued to say-

"Brother, do you understand for a guild to be in the whole world, it would have its own standard"

"The first and the basic test is  ‘Trust’ Test"

I wanted to curse out loud but I hold in.

"It is never an easy test in the first place"

I now understand why there are not many guild members in this guild. Many will aptly quit the first time they do know of this test. I thought my father got the recommendation letter, by selling his liver, but it could be quite cheap as not many would have the guts to participate in this type of trial.

I too need to gamble my life with a stranger. What an irony.

My Motto is always for the best, If I need to join the best the stakes would be higher. I prayed to my favourite goddess of luck and decided.

"I am ready"


After some slight preparation-


The wolves have already noticed me, they are five in numbers. I used the stone in the path to throw at the wolves.

At first they ignored me, repeating the same method a couple of time raised their ire, 

‘grrr..’

I rushed back, but it seems improbable as a heavy wolf have already lunged forward. I used all my strength to hold back, being too close I observed it, it  has pale blue mane and bloodthirsty eyes, When I thought my neck would snap from its heaviness, an arrow pierced its eyes, it howled and lunged backward, the remaining four wolf surrounded it, but it was their worst decision, the result the arrows piercing through their bodies.

Macro brothers executed professionally. Practice of 5 years showing in their aim as all those arrows embedded in their skull.

Only the remaining leader wolf has its legs pierced by arrows, whimpering with pitiful cry it is dragged its body towards its cave.

The trio briskly walked towards me and said "kill it"

It is cruel yet it needs to be done, I have already done it many times with my fellow villagers.

I thanked my luck that no misfortune happened to me.

I understand it is not an easy feat, showing your back to strangers, being a bait and without a proper tool rushing forward  yet I took the gamble and I survived.

1