5. Engagement Party Part 1
110 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
When do you think should I update?
  • Everyday Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Every other day Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Thrice a week Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Twice a week Votes: 1 20.0%
Total voters: 5

Early in the evening in the Churchill Residence, the servants greeted a man in his late forty's with brown hair who entered the living room with his associate.

"Good evening, father." Clementine and her older brother, Isaac welcomed. The man is Winston Churchill, the duke of the household and the only uncle of the king. The servants took the coat of the man and his associate and they walked towards the head office.

"Have you had your dinner, father?" Clementine asked as they passed by the hall that was wide and full of portraits of the previous duke and duchess as well as their children. "Yes, the council had a small gathering after our meeting," her father answered and stroke her daughter's wavy hair. Winston loves his children very much that he would be able to anything for the sake of his children's happiness.

"Pardon my rudeness, my lady, but where did you get this flower?" The man who came with their father suddenly wondered, focusing his gaze on the white flowers displayed in one of the tables in the hallway. The family stopped their tracks and looked at the flowers that were in full bloom.

"And, who are you?" Clementine raised one of her eyebrows, irritated that the man interrupted her conversation with her father. Isaac tapped Clementine's shoulder to stop her, knowing she was about to give him an attitude.

"Ah, that's right." Winston pat the man's shoulder. "This is Philip. He will be my assistant from now on."

"But father, you never needed an assistant before. Why now?" Isaac questioned.

"Can't an old man change his mind?" Winston chuckled. "So, where did this flower came from, Clementine?"

"That was gifted to me by Princess Catherine. I invited her to my afternoon tea party earlier. " Clementine answered and looked at the flower. She thought that the flower must be from wherever she came from, as it was not seen in any part of the kingdom before. Even the servants looked at the flower with such an amusing gaze.

"Do you mean the betrothed of the king?" Philip questioned, touching the petals of the flower.

"Yes. Take it, I don't need such a thing."

"Really, my lady? Thank you very much!" Philip beamed, took the pot of flowers, and went his way, while Winston and his children entered the office. Winston sat at the chair behind his desk full of paper works, as his children stood in front of the desk.

"Clementine, you invited the princess without any prior invitation?" Winston wore his glasses and run through some papers. He knew that it was a noble etiquette to send a prior invitation before the set date.

"Oh father, please spare me the lecture! I already got it from that so-called princess." Clementine crossed her arms in her chest and got irritated just from remembering what happened earlier in the tea party.

"You got what?" His father's face turned dark. Of all the things that Winston hated, the top on that list was being humiliated. He can't bear the fact that there would be people who would step on their family's name.

"I spent the last three days, convincing the council why that marriage must not happen and to appoint you as the king's official betrothed but you-" Winston's words were cold and heavy but he breathes in and out, calming himself. He knew that words wouldn't get through her daughter's stubbornness. Winston sighed and gestured for his children to leave him.

"We need to get rid of the princess, Philip."

"Yes, My Lord."

 

The following day.

Palace attendants were occupied with the preparations of the engagement party to be held later in the evening. The head maid was carefully looking out for the staff to keep everything in order and to make sure that no one makes a mistake in this event for this is the second biggest event in the kingdom after the coronation of their king. It needed to be perfect and flawless and the head maid vowed to make it happen.

"Have you see Her Highness, the Princess?" A maid from the princess's chambers came running to the head maid.

"What? What happened?" The head maid looked frantic from what she heard. The head maid was one of the people in the palace who became very close to the princess and cherished her like her daughter. The princess has gone missing on the day of her engagement. This must be the work of those who were opposed to the marriage, she thought. "We need to let His Majesty know this."

Just as when she was about to go to the office of the king, Ria and Josephine told her that they will look for her some more and if they can't find her they will be the one to tell the king. Josephine and Ria went outside and tried to communicate with her using their elements. The people from the Bohr Kingdom can communicate with each other no matter the distance if they have at least one of the elements beside them.

[Where are you, Your Highness?]

[You need to answer or we will tell the king that you have gone missing.]

[Ria, Josephine, I'm fine. I will be back in a couple of minutes. I promise.]

Josephine sighed and let the princess do what she wants. She knew that Catherine needed a breather especially after what happened at yesterday's tea party. The two went back inside and inform the head maid that Catherine is alright and she will be back in a couple of minutes.

"She just needed her time alone." Ria reasoned and they went back to the princess' chambers. They ordered the servants to prepare a warm bath for Catherine when she gets back.

Catherine was underwater in the Faalum Lake that was behind the palace, she used her elements to breathe under. Last night, she heard from the servants that the Faalum lake was a secluded place because the people from the kingdom feared the lake because there were stories of monsters lurking the lake, so Catherine became very curious and wanted to see if there were really monsters or they assumed that because humans are very coward creatures. 

Faalum lake was very large and deep compared to other lakes which made her even more interested. She swam deeper into the blue clear water until she found a cave. The cave intrigued her more and she went in but the current became very strong like it was trying to push her out. Bubbles made from the current of the lake covered her face that she wasn't able to see anything. Catherine was pushed back but this only made her more eager to see what was in the cave, so with all her might she swam forward, fighting the strong current until she was able to emerge from the waters.

"Wow."

The place was covered in moss rose plants in different colors that covered the rock formations making it looked alive. The place was like a breath of fresh air and it reminded Catherine of her homeland. She stepped on the cold green grass and breath the air in the cave. It was like a different world but at the same time, it felt like home. She continued to walk in the grass, feeling all the nature around her. She was having the time of her life when she heard the rustling of the tall grass beside her. Catherine walked cautiously to see what was on the side of the grass. She slowly moved the grass to see what was on the other side. Catherine saw a small creature with wings that glowed like starlight in the evening.

"A FAIRY?!" 

"EEKK!"

"What is a fairy doing in this place?" Catherine knew that fairies were not supposed to be in this kingdom but only in their kingdom. She gradually approached the fairy for she knew that fairies are sensitive creatures. The fairy looked at her and flew in her face. 

"AN ENCHANTRESS! AN ENCHANTRESS!" The fairy squeaks in excitement and rubs her face to Catherine's face. When the fairy calmed down, Catherine tried talked to her but due to the limited words a fairy can speak, they weren't able to see eye to eye so Catherine decided to take her back with her to the palace. It was already getting late and she still needs to prepare for the engagement party. On her way back, Catherine noticed that the sun was already setting. She also learned that the fairy was the one responsible for the strong current in the cave and that the fairy was an earth fairy so it influenced the plants in the cave to make strong current.

"Your Highness, you said you will be back in a couple of minutes, not a couple of hours. You barely have enough time to make preparations." Josephine nagged while they were removing her cloak for her bath.

"Where did you even go that you got this dirty?" Ria asked while she removes some leaves that were stuck in her head. Catherine gestured for the other maids to get out leaving her Ria and Josephine in the bathroom. 

"Look what I found," Catherine whispered and the fairy flew out of her dress.

"Wha-"

"I found this in the cave inside the lake or was it the other way around. Ah, whatever." Catherine looked confused as she explains where the fairy came from. She went into the tub and relax her shoulders. 

"We don't have time for this. We have to get you ready." Josephine shooed the fairy in their way and help Catherine bath. Ria prepared the dress she was going to wear, it was a gold dress constructed with massively embroidered gossamer with heavy ruffles underneath. The dress came with an enhanced ornament collar-cape with black opal gemstone stardust design.

After Catherine's bath, the maids returned to her chambers and fix her makeup and hair. They pulled her wavy silver hair in a neat sleek style that falls until her waistline. She wore the dress Ria picked her and all she has to do now was wait for her betrothed.

"Isn't he too slow?" Catherine complained and as if on cue, there was a knock on her door announcing the presence of the king. Ria looked at her and chuckled. The door flew open and the king appeared who was wearing his white kingly attire that was with gold lacework and rich embroidery, accompanied with a black cape to match the princess's attire.

"You ready, princess?" Catherine rolled her eyes at the king's remark as the king pulled his thin lips into a mischievous grin. He flicked his two fingers and a servant holding a medium velvet box came in. He took the box from the hands of the servant and opened it for the princess, inside the box was a rose gold leaf tiara with white diamonds. He handed it to the maid who was fixing Catherine's hair before. The maid immediately but carefully put the tiara on Catherine's head, not messing up her perfectly styled hair.

The king extended his hand towards Catherine, who had no choice but to take it. They held hands as they trod towards the grand hall where the banquet is held. 

"Lucas Austin Uranbel."

"What?" Catherine looked confused at the sudden statement of the king. She wondered who Lucas was.

"My name. Yesterday, you introduced yourself and I did not get the chance to do so." Lucas explained as they enter the platform in the imperial staircase. The man beside them announce their appearance and the crowd all turned their eyes on them. They slowly descended to the staircase without letting go of each other's hands as the music starts to play. The crowd then makes way for the couple for their first dance as each other's betrothed.

When they were in the middle of the hall, Catherine placed her right hand on Lucas' shoulder while Lucas wraps his arms around Catherine's waist, sending chills to her spine. Catherine felt embarrassed and looked down. Lucas tightened the grip on her hand but he felt guilty doing that at Catherine's soft delicate hand so when she looked at him, he loosens his grip. The two started to sway at the rhythm of the music, making everyone who attended stand in awe at the sight of the two of them dancing. Catherine's silver hair shined with the diamond dust on her dress as they continue to waltz in the hall.

Catherine study Lucas' face, his dynamic features truly was something that would catch every woman's attention but his eyes felt like it was conveying something different, something deeper. Catherine felt like she would drown if she continues to look at Lucas' eyes so she turned her attention to his silky hair that anyone would want to run their fingers through. Lost in her train of thoughts, her right hand reached for his black hair and runs her fingers through it. Surprise by what Catherine did, Lucas smirk at her and pulled her closer. He abruptly makes a turn, making Catherine twist her ankle but with one swift move, Lucas grabbed her waist and bending her slightly downward with the song coming to an end. 

The crowd applauded at their performance, not noticing the mistake at the end. Lucas escorted her to the seat, they were designated to and Lucas ordered one of the servants to bring her a change of shoes. Catherine can't believe that the man she danced with, was a murderer. At that thought, she looked away and focused her attention on the crowd that was now occupying the hall, smiling and dancing with their partners. She wanted to ask Lucas the reason why he did such a thing, but she did not have the heart nor the courage to do so. Catherine at least wanted a friendly marriage but now that seems too far away.

3