8. Royal Parade
67 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Your Majesty, don't forget that you need to be in the parade with the princess in two hours, in the plaza." Konnor reminded Lucas who was buried in his pile of paperwork that was in his desk. Lucas who cannot be bothered, waved his hand, dismissing Konnor who sighed on his way out.

"Is His Majesty still working?" A man in the royal knights uniform asked when Konnor left the office.

"Ah, Raiden, You're here. Did you finish your task?" Raiden Lokos is the personal guard of the king who shadows Lucas anywhere he went and follows every command he was given. He gave his life oath to Lucas after he ascended to the throne and swore his loyalty to him.

"Yes." Konnor sighed and massage his temple to lessen his frustration to the workaholic king. "It's been two years since he ascended the throne and his work doesn't seem to lessen at all. The previous king did a number on the treasury and so did the council, now he's trying to return to the people what they lost that is why he's been holed up in his office since the engagement day, working non-stop."

"What? He's been working there for three days?" A lady who suddenly showed up approach the two men who were standing in front of the office of the king. The lady walked towards the two with arms in her chest and gave them a piercing gaze.

"What are you even doing, slacking off, while the most important person in the kingdom is busy handling what you people should be doing?" The lady reprimanded and pointed her fingers to Konnor. "And you, are you not his advisor?" She raised her eyebrow and entered the office without any warnings, while the two men stood by, for they cannot do anything when a higher noble speaks.

"Konnor, I will be at the parade," Lucas said without looking to the person who entered his office. "I need the report on the smuggling on the plaza. It seems that that problem must be fix first, considering the number of people who reported the smuggling. This might become a bigger issue when left unchecked."

"You seem to be very immersed in what you do, Your Majesty." The lady said as she sat down on the couch that was in the office.

"What are you doing here, Clementine?" Lucas looked at the lady, coldly. She smiled at him and tucked the hair that fell in her face, behind her ears.

"Raiden," Lucas called and Raiden appeared before Lucas. "You called, Your Majesty?"

"Don't let any strangers come into my office," Lucas ordered and he returned to his stockpile of paperwork.

"I'm hurt that you treat me as a stranger, especially that we grew up all together." Clementine stood up and walked towards the desk. Raiden who became alert moved forward and block Lucas's view from Clementine with his well-built body. They may be childhood friends but Raiden is a very professional person who separated his work and personal relationships.

"Alright, I'll leave now." Clementine exited and the room was filled with silence until Konnor entered the office.

"That girl sure is something." Konnor laughed at his own comment but the two kept a straight face. He cleared his throat and fixed his stance. He thought that Lucas and Raiden make the best pair, one is always grumpy and irritable while the other blindly follows the other one without any questions. What's worse the other seems to adapt the personality of the one he follows. Konnor shook his head at his own thoughts.

 

At the princess's chambers, the maids were busy making Catherine look her best for the parade that was to happen in one hour, especially Maria and Ellie who were so excited to dress up the princess for today's event. They were running around the room trying to find the perfect dress, the perfect shoes, and the best jewelry to match in her outfit. Catherine just finished her bath including all the spa and massage that Maria and Ellie prepared.

"Anything would be okay with me, really." Catherine tried to calm the two down with all their panicking in which dress to prepare. She looked at Josephine and Ria trying to ask for their help to calm the two but they looked away. They knew that this duo would never really stop until they are satisfied with what they have to give to the princess. If Josephine's dedication in making the princess looked good in every possible way was as big as the moon, this duo's dedication exceeds that determination.

"Well, it is true that anything you wear would look gorgeous on you, Your Highness, BUT! we need to make you the most beautiful in the kingdom." Maria exclaimed while looking through the dresses in Catherine's closet.

"That's right! Especially when that girl Clementine will see you in the parade. THE NERVE OF THAT GIRL TO WEAR RED ON HER HIGHNESS' ENGAGEMENT PARTY!" Ellie said in frustration. Remembering that incident, Ellie became more fired up to find the best jewelry for Catherine to wear. Catherine forced a laugh and let the two do their own thing. She probably can't do or say anything that would change their minds. Half an hour passed and the duo was finally able to find the dress. It was a peach high neck beaded with rhinestones dress with a white lace cape over her shoulders. Ellie chose a diamond bracelet to go with her dress.

"Wow, this is gorgeous." Catherine twirled at the full-length mirror to get a clearer view of her dress. "Thank you." Catherine smiled at the duo who was very much satisfied with their work. 

"Your Highness, we still have a few minutes to spare, why don't you go to His Majesty for a change?" Josephine suggested that made Catherine give disgusting look. She knew Josephine wanted them to have a good relationship but she can't help feel a bit reluctant, especially with the rumors between Lucas and Clementine in the engagement party, where they met after she retired to her chambers. People started calling as the lady who stole His Majesty from Clementine, the rightful betrothed of the king.

"Your Highness, don't worry about those gossips, we know the truth and we will always stand by your side," Maria said when she noticed that Cathrine changed her mood after the suggestion Josephine gave. 

"Whatever happens, we're always here," Ellie added.

"You guys are the best, thank you!" Catherine hugged Maria and Ellie. She was so grateful that she met these lovely humans and she wouldn't trade them for the world, just like how she feels about Josephine and Ria. Their moment was interrupted by a small rustle in Catherin's dresser. Catherine, Ria, and Josephine looked at each other and they knew what was in that dresser. 

"What's that?" Ellie wondered and stood up to go to the dresser. Ria suddenly got up and block Ellie's way. "Uhm, why don't you escort Her Highness to His Majesty. You see, uhm–" Ellie looked confused at Ria's actions because she is always calm and collected at any time.

"I still kind of–" Ria trailed off, looking at Josephine to help her give excuses. 

"Never mind that, Maria and Ellie escort the princess to His Majesty's office," Josephine ordered and the two helped the princess got up. They exited the room but Catherine looked back at Ria with pleading eyes to take her back with her but Ria just smiled. 

The three arrived in front of the office while Catherine regrets her decisions stepping out of her room. Maria announced her presence and opened the door for her. She slowly entered the office to see an enormous amount of paper on the desk. 

"Your Highness, you're here?" Konnor looked surprised to see the princess in Lucas's office.

"Hi?" Catherine awkwardly smiled. "Am I disturbing you? Maybe I should go." Catherine still did not know how to react around Lucas after the engagement party and she was thankful that they did not see each other for the last few days until this parade.

"Oh no, Your Highness, His Majesty was just done with his work." Konnor suddenly pulled the paper away from Lucas' face. 

"What are yo–" Lucas looked at Catherine who was standing in front of his desk. "Is it that time already?" Lucas stood up, made his way towards Catherine, and offered his arm to walk together. Catherine walked past Lucas ignoring his offer, remembering all the rumors surrounding him and Clementine. Lucas looked at Konnor who just shrugged. Lucas shook his head and just followed Catherine.    

 

"MAKE WAY FOR THE KING AND HIS BETROTHED!" The people in the plaza bowed when the carriage was made into a float to let the crowd see the future queen of the kingdom. The float was in gold and white that has two small thrones for Catherine and Lucas. Catherine stood tall and dignified as she waved to the people of the Uranbel Kingdom. Most of the people cheered for her but some were not in favor of her becoming the next queen since they were the supporters of the Churchills. Konnor, Raiden, Ria, and Josephine were beside the float, following closely, making sure that the parade would end peacefully. 

Catherine sat beside Lucas who silently looked at the people. He knew they were only cheering for Catherine because people were afraid of him and he knew that, which is why he did not make a lot of appearances.

"You look tired," Catherine whispered, without looking at him.

"So you finally decide to talk to me?" Lucas glanced at Catherine, only to find her not looking at him. He took her hand, making Catherine look at Lucas. She scrunched her eyebrows and pulled her hand from his grip but he held tighter.

"The people are looking. You don't want them thinking we don't get along now, do we?" Catherine sighed and let him held her hand. Lucas moved closer and rest his head on her shoulder.

"What are do you think you're doing?" 

"Let me rest for a bit." Lucas closed his eyes as they continue to parade in the town. Catherine felt that Lucas was a bit warm, so she touched his forehead, trying to check his temperature. She was surprised to find that he has a fever. "You're sick!"

"I will not succumb to such a trifle like a fever. I'm fine." Lucas argued as he continues to rest his head on Catherine's shoulder. The parade came to an end and they returned to the palace in that position. Lucas fell asleep so Catherine asked Raiden to bring him to his chambers.

"Ria, Josephine, please call for the physician." They hurriedly went to the west wing of the palace where the physician resides. Lucas was brought carefully to his chambers where Catherine followed closely with Konnor.

"He must've worn himself out these past few days," Konnor explained. The physician came and examined Lucas.

"He just needs time to rest. He's sleep-deprived and very exhausted." The physician handed Catherine a pouch of herbal medicine. "You should let him drink this at least twice a day for the next two weeks."

"Thank you." The physician left the room, leaving Catherine, Ria, Josephine, and Konnor in the room.

"We should probably go now," Konnor cleared his throat and ushered for Ria and Josephine to leave the two alone.

"Your Highness?" Ria approached but Konnor stopped her.

"It's okay, Ria. I will be staying here."

3