19. Different Side
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been three days since Catherine last saw Lucas and they have been preparing for their departure back to their kingdom in the next two days, as well as their little side trip to the north where the king is right now. Catherine wished that before they left, she could at least see Lucas first, but she knew that it was just a selfish wish. 

"Your Highness, I think it would be better if we just head back straight to the kingdom and let your parents know about this," Ria suggested as she continues to pack their things. "Besides, we would be going with Sir Malcolm. It would be bad if he knew about it and report it back to the king."

Catherine tapped both of Ria's shoulders that stopped her from folding their clothes, "That is why we have you. We can just put them in your small water bubble, let them dream their wishful dreams until we finish investigating what happened in the north." Catherine smiled at her, sweetly. 

"You can also do that, Your Highness." Ria chuckled at her own statement.

"Well, yes, but not as impressive as you. I couldn't even make it at least an hour." Catherine protested and laughed, remembering the time when they had to practice for their own specialty.

"But no one in the kingdom can compare to your earth element." Ria complimented that made Catherine blush.

"Yes, I remembered the time when I was babysitting you when you were just five years old. You made the old oak tree in full bloom which has never bloomed for the last sixty years." Josephine added resulting in Catherine covering her face from embarrassment.

"Oh, stop it!" The three laughed at their own little world, remembering the times when they were still at the Bohr Kingdom. Maybe it was because they were finally able to return back to their homeland that made them reminisce about it even when it hasn't been that long since they arrived in the Uranbel Kingdom. Or maybe it was just because they missed the kingdom dearly.

"Your Highness, it's time for your lunch," Malcolm called as he knocked on the door. The three tidied themselves and went outside, where Malcolm is waiting for them. 

"Your Highness?" Malcolm said and extended his arm to Catherine which she accepted gladly.

"My, thank you, Malcolm," Catherine smiled and went their way to the dining hall.

"I heard that His Majesty will be back tomorrow morning, just in time before you depart to the Bohr Kingdom," Malcolm informed as they walk down by the grand staircase, with Ria and Josephine following nearby.

"Is that so?" Catherine whispered to hide her smile from Malcolm, which he saw anyway. Malcolm couldn't help but remember what Konnor told him the other night about the two of them. 

"Why do you already miss him?" Malcolm grinned which made Catherine cough. 

"W-what are you saying?" Catherine said and let go of Malcolm's arm and walk faster towards Elle who was preparing the dinner for them. She sat down on her seat started eating the small cut meat with some vegetables on the side. This is the first time she would be eating solid food because the physician told her that she needed to take soft food for the time being and this is the day that she finished her fasting.

"Now this is food!" Catherine chirped and eat the meat in one bite that made Ria and Malcolm chuckled while Josephine just shook her head. 

"I love this! Can I have another serving, please?" A man in a white apron with a big build arrived with another serving of the meat and placed it on Catherine's table.

"I am honored that you liked my style of cooking, Your Highness. I am Gordon, your head cook." Gordon placed his right hand in his left torso and bowed ninety degrees. Catherine never thought that the head chef would be this young and handsome, with his dark brown hair placed neatly behind his face, showing his almond-shaped brown eyes with thick eyebrows that just complete his gorgeous face. Gordon would pass as the next king in high society.

Catherine thought that it was such a good thing that she begged Lucas not to kill the head chef because he was really a sight for sore eyes and Catherine was pretty sure that Gordon is famous among the palace attendants. Many hearts would surely be broken and rivers of tears would cry if this man had died just because Catherine said the soup tasted bland.

Catherine sighed a breath of relief before answering Gordon.

"Your food is very exquisite, Sir Gordon. The way that the meat just melts in your mouth and the refreshing clean taste of vegetables after, is just the perfect combination. Combined with this red wine just completes it all. I am looking forward to your future menu." Gordon smiled at Catherine's detailed review of his food. No one in the palace has appreciated his cooking like Catherine and what Catherine said would be buried deeply in his heart.

"It will be my greatest achievement to continue to prepare for Her Highness food in the coming days." Gordon took Catherine's hand and placed a swift but careful kiss on her pale white hand.

Malcolm quickly moved to Catherine's side, pulled out a sword, and set it on Gordon's neck.

"Oh my, Malcolm sheath your sword, this instant!" Catherine fretted and stood up. She thought that this was supposed to be a relaxing dinner. How did things turn out this way?

Malcolm followed Catherine's order and swing the sword back to the silver scabbard before retreating to Catherine's back.

"I'm sorry about that, Sir Gordon." 

"It is alright, Your Highness. It was my fault for stepping on my boundaries." Gordon bowed again before leaving the dining hall. Catherine sat back to her seat.

"What was that, Malcolm?" Catherine scowled at now looking down Malcolm.

"I was told to protect you in any harm," Malcolm reasoned that made Catherine raised one of her eyebrows.

"Harm? Sir Gordon?" Catherine shook her head and massage her temple. She knew that Lucas is the one behind the order of Malcolm. She stood, followed by Ria and Josephine.

"I hope this will not happen again," Catherine said with full authority in her voice. 

"Yes, Your Highness."

 

Catherine returned to her chambers with Ria and Josephine, where Thalia and Caitlin are waiting for her. One of the tasks that Catherine needed to do is to present herself with a demeanor of an elegant and graceful lady, as the only betrothed of the king and the next queen of the Uranbel Kingdom.

"Greetings, Your Highness. I am Guinivere of the house of Kristen," the girl with thick, wavy, caramel brown hair that falls up to her waist in dark chocolate long sleeve dress, with a little bit of silver dust in her hem, introduced. Guinivere gave Catherine the most graceful curtsied, one could ever be witnessed. 

"Lady Guinevere is also known as the most sophisticated lady in the whole kingdom and many sought her hand for marriage but no one succeeded. Some say that the bachelors in the kingdom did not meet her standards, hence she decided to just teach other noble ladies the manners and etiquettes befitting of their title," Thalia whispered to Catherine who only nodded in response.

"Lady Guinivere, you truly are the epitome of elegance. I am honored to be in your presence," Caitlin complimented and held Guinivere's hand.

"Lady Caitlin, I am very much flattered for your kind words, however, your actions will not give justice to the name you uphold." Guinivere reminded Caitlin with her voice as soft as a dove. 

"I... I'm s-sorry." 

"A lady must never stutter and lose confidence," Guinivere placed her right hand to Caitlin's chin and lifted it up. She walked behind her and straighten her shoulders with her both hands. 

"A lady must never lose her confidence even in front of an enemy. Keep your poise and be confident. That is the first thing I would like all of you to learn." Guinivere pulled out a chair and sat on it without wrinkling even one side of her dress. The rest of the ladies also sat down in the remaining of the chairs in the long round table where the tea is set.

Guinivere rang the small bell that she pulled out from her small black purse and Clementine entered the room with three books in her head, walking calmly with deliberate movements. When Clementine reached the table, she gave the books on her head to the servant who walked in beside her.

"Greetings, Your Highness," Clementine curtsied before sitting down beside Guinivere who smiled at her, sweetly, which is the first smile she gave ever since she entered Catherine's chambers.

"How are you, Your Highness? I am very sorry about the unfortunate event that happened in our residence," Clementine started as she looked at Catherine with worried eyes.

"I am grateful for your concern, Lady Clementine. I am very much well, as you can see." Catherine replied and put both her hands open in her side.

"Oh, thank you for the ointment that you sent me the other day. It was very helpful." Catherine added but in reality, Catherine never even use the ointment she gave her, for fear that something was added into it.

"Lady Clementine, here, is my finest pupil. I am very proud of how she turned out to be after attending my classes. I invited her today, in order for Her Highness to see the result of my work," Guinivere announced as she stroke Clementine's silky hair.

"You are overestimating me, Lady Guinivere," Clementine gave a small laugh while covering her face with a fan.

"Still with your humbleness. Well, I guess that makes you a truly fine young lady, fitting for a king," Guinivere commented. Josephine and Ria looked at each other at the comment of Guinivere and as they were about to argue with her, Catherine gave them a look that stopped them from doing so, however, Catherine forgot about Thalia who was sitting beside her.

"Lady Guinivere, what you just stated was an insult to the royal family. To say that someone other than the betrothed of the king is a lady befitting for a king is treason." 

"Oh my, I didn't mean any harm with what I said," Guinivere reasoned and smiled.

"It is alright, Lady Thalia. I know that Lady Guinivere is only saying that as an example of how capable she is in her work. She would not dare to say in presence that Lady Clementine should have been the one in my place instead." Catherine added some sugar on her tea and mix it without looking at Guinivere.

"Certainly, she knows that insulting nobles result in fifty lashings. Let alone a royalty. Is that right, Lady Guinivere?" Catherine looked at Lady Guinivere and smiled at her, exposing her perfectly white teeth.

"O-of course, Your Highness," Guinivere answered that made Thalia smiled, but Catherine was nowhere near done with her.

"My, Lady Guinivere, as the most sophisticated lady in the kingdom, you must not stutter. You must keep your poise and be confident even in front of an enemy," Catherine tucked her strands of hair behind her ear before sipping her tea.

"I humbly apologize for her actions, Your Highness. It seems that she just favored me too much to say such ignorant things," Clementine pointed while looking directly into Catherine's amethyst-like eyes.

"Well, let's put the past behind us and forget that this never even happened," Catherine offered and they all nodded with her statement.


"That was madness! I can't believe that... that Guinivere lady only talked about Clementine for the rest of the evening. Now, I'm starving!" Catherine complained when she slumped on the bed after her little gathering with her new instructor that only bragged about how lady-like Clementine is. 

Catalina and Ria giggled at Catherine's complaint and handed her a sandwich with ham and vegetables. Catherine was really glad that Ria joined her when she first left their kingdom. 

"You are a lifesaver! Thank you!" Catherine chuckled and ate her perfectly shaped sandwich.

"I'm not sure about Lady Clementine but even in the slums, Lady Guinivere was known as the most elegant lady in the kingdom," Catalina commented as she tends to Catherine's white lace nightgown. Catherine nodded at Catalina's remark as she took a bit of the sandwich Ria gave her.

Since it was already late in the evening, Josephine and Ria dismissed themselves and returned to their own chambers leaving Catherine in her little cloud of thought.

In just two days' time, Catherine would be able to see her dearly beloved family after weeks of being in an unfamiliar place that always seemed to battle with her. A world that she longed to visit and see but never met her expectations. The people she met and encountered, roughly picked a fight with her every time their eyes met. True to her experience, Catherine was still thankful that she was able to meet people who were truly by her side. 

Catalina, Thalia, Elle, and Maria were such good girls that were willing to help her get used to the kingdom's culture. They have been very helpful to her since she arrived in the kingdom. Catherine made a mental note to bring some souvenirs for them when she gets back. She also wanted them to know a little about her home, just how they taught her theirs. 

And Lucas, who she never thought would be so thoughtful, unlike the rumors that pegged him as cruel and merciless. She remembered the first time they met even though it was not ideal. Catherine may have annoyed Lucas at times, but he never really minded her little antics. She smiled at the thought that she would at least see him before she leaves.

Catherine walked towards the window with the view of the garden and just admired the beauty of flowers with the moonlight shining upon them while she thinks about the moments that have happened the moment she stepped foot in the kingdom. 

After some time, she went to her dresser and pulled one of the drawers that revealed a medium-sized box in a silver and purple wrapping. She smiled at it, picturing the look on her brother and her future sister-in-law, Airis's faces when they opened the gift she'll give. Catherine decided to give the couple a set of pink baby clothes, complete with shoes with little ribbons. She has always wanted a little sister and finally, she would be able to spoil her brother's daughter, even if it's just in her imagination, for now.

Catherine felt her throat get dry so she reached for the glass pitcher in her bedside to find it empty. She laughed with herself, remembering the frantic Elle running around the room trying to find the stuff, Josephine asked her. She reached for her robe, walked towards the door, and twisted the knob before pushing it to see Malcolm standing straight, guarding the door.

"Were you always there, Malcolm?" Catherine asked Malcolm who bowed to her when he sensed her presence. He gave her a little nod for an answer and stood beside her.

"You should go to bed, Malcolm. It's an order."

"But where are you going, Your Highness?" Malcolm asked as he continued to follow her steps but with a few distances.

"Oh, I got thirsty and my water pitcher run out," Catherine explained as they continued to walk in the hall towards the grand staircase.

"You should have your servants do this kind of thing," Malcolm said in disbelief.

"Oh, right. Why didn't I think of that?" Catherine tilted her head and chuckled at Malcolm's comment. She really did think of that but it was already late so she doesn't want other people to wake up just because she was thirsty.

"You should really retire to your quarters," Malcolm was about to reason but Catherine shushed her and waved her hand to the hall, gesturing for him to go. With a few little complain here and there. Malcolm went back in defeat. 

Catherine shook her head at the hard-headed Malcolm as she walks in the great hall that leads to the kitchen. The hall was empty but very enormous that Catherine felt small, walking in a red carpet. Before she could even reach the end of the hall, the big gold-plated door in the entrance swung open, and there entered a bloody mess, Lucas, dragging a wounded man by his hair who seemed to be unconscious. 

Catherine gasped in horror at the sight she saw before meeting the cold golden eyes of a king who she thought she knew.

 

Hi! Don't forget to like, comment, and leave a review! Happy reading!

1