Into The Temple
191 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sasha trudged forward with Todd closely behind her. Todd wasn’t giving off the manliest impression, but he would rather be alive than eaten by a cave dweller. Their boots clomped over the cold stone ground, causing echoes throughout the dark cave system.

“I think the elevator shaft is coming up ahead” Todd calmly stated after squinting at the small map he had bought from one of the local miners. For 5 coppers it was quite the steal.

“Oh, there it is. It looks pretty beat up,” Sasha observed.

It was the only way down to the the third level, so they had no other choice but to take the rickety wooden contraption. As it slowly descended, audible creaks suggested the old wood was rubbing against the carved stone walls. Both Sasha and Todd found this somewhat disconcerting.

Eventually the ride came to a halt. A tunnel lay in front of the duo, who promptly stepped off the elevator. They kept their eyes peeled for any large holes along the walls, since they assumed Todd’s captors had already blown the entrance wide open. Sasha had brought some explosives just in case they hadn’t.

“I think I found it,” Todd said as he looked up towards a massive ogre sized hole.

The aftermath had left a pile of rubble at the base of the opening. They heaved themselves over the pillars of stone that obstructed their goal of finding any remnants left in this ancient lair. Delicate hieroglyphs danced along the walls of the entrance room, shifting form as Sasha and Todd made their way further into the old holy site.

Be aware the mortal trials await - was ornamentally etched above the only stone entrance in the room

Sasha had faced numerous trials in dungeons and wasn’t easily deterred by warnings. If treasure was easily obtainable, adventuring wouldn’t be a lucrative profession. She beckoned Todd forward and they both entered the room.

The room trembled, causing Todd to trip. He fell forward landing on top of Sasha, sending them both sprawling onto the cold stone floor. Todd must’ve sprained his ankle because he had trouble standing on his right foot.

Once they realized the walls were constricting, Todd frantically hobble his way towards salvation. Sasha had already picked herself up and was sprinting towards the opening about 50 yards on the other end. Todd had nearly reached the next room when he felt the walls on either side of him. He turned his body sideways and reached towards Sasha. She grabbed him by the wrist and yanked him to safety.

The two of them sat on floor to catch their breath.

“You gotta be more careful where you step. I really don’t want to end up dying.” said Sasha

“Sorry. All watch where I’m going,” mumbled Todd. He realized he was a burden more than anything and didn’t really deserve to pay her back like this. While he clearly lacked the experience Sasha had, Todd was determined to become a useful asset rather than an extra weight for Sasha to carry. I didn’t help that Todd could barely support his own weight, with his now injured foot.

Books were scattered throughout the room and along the shelves that lined the wall. Very few were recognizable. Avril’s Grand History of The World and Magic through the Millenia were the only ones that caught Todd’s attention. Most of papers and manuscripts were covered in some indecipherable language that neither Sasha nor Todd could discern. In the center, a pedestal held a stone book on top of it.

Todd and Sasha looked down onto the intricate carving of words that lay on the stone page in the stone book. 

Patience is its own reward; and for those who take the time to read the words on this statue will receive a glimpse into their future. It’s too late to turn back when the walls behind have shut completely. Onward you’ll go into the lair, fighting behemoths and escaping death. The journey is long so remember, to pace yourself so you’ll survive.

“It’s pretty vague isn’t it” stated Todd

“Yeah, this is not much of a reward” Sasha replied

While Sasha seemed disinterested in starting a book collection, Todd was definitely going to take some books. They weren’t very valuable in a world that prioritized magic and strength, but Todd sorely lacked knowledge about his new world so he thought it was beneficial to learn about it. He decided to take the ones that caught his eye earlier, since he could read them and they easily fit inside his bag.

Making their way to the door, Todd couldn’t help but look back. He knew he couldn’t take everything he found with him, but he liked the idea of learning about whatever ancient civilization had filled the library. He proceeded to step through the door.

3