Goblins
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Endless darkness surrounded the crew as they entered a large cavern. Lights slowly flickered into existence, revealing thousand of little green bodies scrambling around beneath them. Most swung whatever rusty utensil they had at the hard ground. Some would even claw at the rock below them.

 “Throw the food down there Todd. You don’t want to mingle with them. You’ll get overwhelmed.” 

Todd did what he was told, dumping the meat down the long drop. An audible thud echoed along the walls. All the goblins wrestled for the food, clawing at each other like this would be their last meal.

He carried the now empty cart out of the cave, back where he had originally found it. Time quickly passed and Todd was slowly getting used to his new early morning routine. After dropping off whatever Walker tasked with carrying, he would enter the mines to do some mining. He could definitely afford to skip out on mining, but he wanted to stay in shape.

Todd thought he had seen Gnar on multiples occasions down in the caves. The dim lighting and constant shuffling of goblins made it hard for Todd to know for sure. Todd was following his usual routine when Walker pulled him to the side.

“I’ve seen you in caves looking at them, how hungry they are. Most of the carriers just come in and leave but not you.”

Todd just nodded. He wasn’t sure where this conversation was heading.

“You’ve got a good head on you, Todd,” Walker said before leaving Todd alone in the cave.

Todd slowly climbed down the old flimsy wooden ladder that separated the humans from the goblins. Most of the goblins were worn out from working so they lounged around various piles of rocks. Some were awake while others slept.

They all looked remarkably similar to Todd so he had trouble spotting his long lost companion. After accidently waking up two cranky goblins who he had mistaken for Gnar, Todd was certain the goblin that laid in front of him was the goblin he traveled with. Todd cautiously prodded the sleeping green monster with his feet. He didn’t want to get bitten. Goblins had surprisingly sharp teeth.

Gnar was surprised when a found Todd standing over him. He was sure the stupid human would’ve been eaten by a cave wrangler by now.

“Look good. Whatcha doin heres,” asked Gnar.

“Well, I promised to free you and Gubba. I can’t get you guys out right now but I will be able to soon.”

“You don’t need. Long human say he free us all. Don’t need saved twice.”

“Who’s long human? Do you mean goblin?” asked Todd.

“Naw definitely human. Gubba thought it was goblin stack at first. Gnar not convince Gubba until long human lift armor.”

Todd was surprised to find out that someone else wanted to help the goblins. He knew it would have to be someone on his patrol. Nobody else had access to the goblin layer in the mines.

“What does he look like?”

“He tall.”

“Does he have any other features that stand out?”

“No.” said Gnar who had lost interest in their conversation. The goblin began walking off to find a quieter place to sleep away from nosy humans.

Todd had a weird sinking feeling. Something wasn’t right. Whoever had reassured the goblins they would be freed risked quite a lot to tell them that. It would only take one guard asking questions for one of them to raise the alarm. Todd was certain Worick wouldn’t let someone infiltrate and hijack his operation.

1