Chapter 26
156 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It just so happen that at the same time his stomach let out its rumble of discontent Badger was emerging from the kitchen with two mugs filled to the rim with some kind of dark brown liquid. She let out a hearty laugh when she registered the sound and gave him a half grin while putting the mugs down at a table of two gentleman that looked to be in their late 20s.

“Woa there pipsqueak! For someone so tiny it sure sounds like you have quite the appetite.”

Ethan, not knowing how to respond, simply gave a nervous chuckle before nodding and starting to make his way across the room to the front door. Upon doing so he noted that the broken furniture from earlier had been replaced by, well, not so destroyed furniture. He couldn’t even be sure it wasn’t the same pieces that somehow had been mended back into working order. Reaching up to scratch his cheek while he thought about the situation he suddenly sneezed as some of the dust from his skin drifted to his nose after being released by the attacking finger tip.

“Ugh!”

He reached up and wiped his nose with the back of his hand as any boy ought to do, after all, the back of one’s hand was very versatile! Contorting his face and nose to try and stop the itching he was about to grip the handle when someone yelled out behind him.

“Oi! Pipsqueak! Incoming!”

After jumping slightly at the loudness of the call he started to slowly turn back to face the room. However, upon hearing the “incoming” he twisted his upper body quickly enough to see two pieces of something coming toward him. Realizing it was a chunk of cheese and a bread roll he reached out and snatched the first out of the air before dropping his head slightly to catch the second in his mouth.

“Woa! MMMmmm!”

Quickly reaching to the roll in his mouth he took a bite despite himself as he pulled it away and then tilted his head quizzically.

“Mmmph?’

The two men who had also turned upon hearing Badger call out gave an “ooooo!” while clapping their hands at the display. Badger stood there with a hand on her hip and a “really now?” look on her face before shooing him toward the door.

“I’m just as much a mother bear to my customers as I am a Badger to my enemies. It wouldn’t sit right with me knowing you were walking around with that angry stomach of yours.”

After finally finishing his chewing he swallowed enthusiastically and offered a warm smile before replying happily.

“Thank you very much Ms. Badger!”

“Yea well...... I’ll just take it out of your dinner later!”

Considering her statement from a few seconds ago the response might have seemed a bit harsh, however, anyone looking could have seem she had become embarrassed by the boys appreciation and simply said the first thing she could think of to try and make the annoying feelings go away.

“Of course! No problem!”

He responded happily before turning back to the door and finally making his way outside. As he closed the door behind him, back inside, the two men were eyeing Badger with knowing smirks. That is until she saw them and gave them a side-eyed glare and said just loud enough for them to hear her.

“Actually, better yet, I’ll just take it out of your dinner portions instead.”

“Eeeehhhh?!” Erupted from both men upon hearing this but Badger was already letting the kitchen door swing shut behind her. Grumbling and pouting quickly ensued from the men, though they suspected she wouldn’t really dock their food and as thus quickly got over her statement. A little bit later their hopes were dashed and they were forced to make due with less bread than normal, though the happy Badger they enjoyed more had returned.

Back outside Ethan turned and began to make his way down the street toward his next destination. Given the Spring of Sighs was on the same street as the Lazy Badger, simply four blocks away, he didn’t bother bringing the map. Had there been but one turn he certainly would have, but all he had to do was follow a single road, as such he certainly wouldn’t have any problems... Right?

Meanwhile, over at the adventurer’s guild, a tired Owen had finally been released from the barrage of a firm reprimand by Cecelia, and was just finishing his review of the list of damages and drink charges. With a groan he signed the scroll “allowing” the release of the funds in his account to pay for everything. As a scene of big eyed and grinning dolls marching out of his room with bags of gold played out in his head he leaned back in his chair with a sigh and closed his eyes.

“Curse that woman...” He said softly to himself.

“Excuse me Guild Master, did you say something?” The tone was chillingly gentle, and perhaps not so surprisingly, came from Cecelia who was currently rolling up the scroll Owen had just handed over.

“Now, now Cecelia, I’m sure he isn’t speaking about you.” There was a pause, “right Guild Master?” Was there a hint of pleading hope lacing her words?

“Huh? Oh, no, of course not.” He paused, and the two females relaxed before he continued, “I meant my sister.”

“Guild Master!” They both admonished him loudly causing him to flinch in surprise.

“What?! You know how she is!”

In fact they had only met her once, when Owen had been appointed Guild Master of the guild’s Cloudcrest branch. However, as they recalled the woman’s behavior they shivered before shaking their heads at the same. They both offered a nod and slight bow, again at the same time, in solidarity to his plight regarding his older sister. It was almost like they were putting on some kind of synchronized performance. Before he could point this out however, and his well-being offered thanks, Cecelia suddenly asked a question.

“So Guild Master, how did the young Mr. Kipley do in the exam? Given the extreme nature of the bout I haven’t been able inquire before now.”

“Boy she really needed to let things go.” Owen thought to himself while looking up at her smiling face.

Before he could reply, as if reading his mind, Cecelia reached up and lightly touched her cheek while tilting her said.

“Oh my, you weren’t just thinking of something rude now were you Guild Master?”

“No, no, of course not!” After a pause, “now about Ethan.” Saved by the boy!

6